Menu

If you love your steam mop, what kind do you have?

I want something that works on tile and hardwood. We have tile in the kitchen that can get pretty gross from kids spilling food (and not wiping it while it's still wet), so I want a mop that can get up stuck-on spills.

Eureka Enirosteamer and Haan both get decent reviews, but I am having trouble deciding. I want something that gets the job done and is sturdy enough to last for awhile. I want to be able to use it without pre-cleaning (except for sweeping). One review I read said she mops before using her steam mop. I don't want to do that.

Do you have a workhorse steam mop? :bigear:

I have a Shark and it works just fine. I probably don't mop as much as I should but it's held up for a couple of years. I don't mop first but I do use a shark vacuum for hardwood and tile first. I also have the handheld steam cleaner. I love both of them because I have terrible allergies and hate the smell of cleaners. I can get just about everything clean with these without any chemicals. The first time I steamed my kitchen floors I realized they weren't the same color I thought they were.:001_huh: We had been in the house for a short time and I just thought they were grey.

I have the Eureka Envirosteamer. I do not pre clean except for sweeping. Seems to work very well on sticky spills.

I just purchased one. So far, I've cleaned my tile floors and my parent's tile floors. I really like it. It's light and easy to use. I did notice some streaks on my parents white shiny tile when the floor dried. I had my dd follow behind me to buff the floors with rags (which we do in their house anyway). On my own tile, I was able to just push and go! It cleans well and dries quickly.

I have a Shark Euro-pro something or another and it's great. It has mop heads for both hardwood and tile (I have both). I bought it refurbished off Amazon for around $40. I have bought a pack 2 of replacement mop pads so I don't have to wait to wash to mop (it only came with one pad for tile), which cost $20, but they seem go hold up well so I think the investment was worth it.

My mother has a Haan and I don't like it half as much. It's bigger and bulkier and takes a lot longer to heat up than my Shark. Besides, my Shark is purple. :D

Edited because iPhone autocorrect is not my friend today.

Edited by BrookValley

I have the Eureka Enviro Steam Mop ($63). I clean houses part time for extra income, so I use this mop 3 - 4 times a week. I really did my homework before deciding to buy this one, and I am extremely happy with it.

+ The heating element is right next to the base. Call me crazy, but heating the water up on on the handle like some other steam mops do seems energy inefficient, and probably adds to how hard it is to push the mop around.

+ It has a little clip on the handle for the cord, so it doesn't get in the way as much.

+ It heats water to TWICE the temperature of the Shark, and is second only to the more pricey steam mops out there.

+ Holds the most amount of water than any other steam mop I found. Twice the amount of the Shark. This is VERY important if you're mopping for any length of time, because it's really lame if you have to stop constantly to refill the tank.

+ Steam comes out of four places on the mop. (Compare that to only one on the Shark.)

+ The handle collapses down for easier storage. This was a must for me since I carry it in my car.

One negative I've found is that the company recommends not bleaching the cloth pad (it's made of cotton fibers so bleaching could deteriorate it over time). This means that while the pad is technically clean, it gets stained rather easily. I'm one of those neat freaks that dislikes things looking dirty even if they really aren't. This is probably not unique to the Eureka cloth pads, though. The solution I've found is to let the pads on a sunny windowsill between uses -- that really helps a lot.

I really can't think of any other complaints. It's a little work horse that has saved me time and manages to clean up even the worst (old, sticky, etc.) messes.

I have the Haan multi (model SI-70), it's a floor unit that comes apart into a hand held steamer (DustBuster size) and attachments so you can do shower stalls, sink drains, counter tops, and under the rim of the toilet...or other gross, disgusting places that you wish you didn't have to clean.:glare:

Keep in mind that this is my first steamer purchase, but I think it heats up really quickly, and on one tank of water I can do my tile entry, kitchen/nook and all the fixtures/floor in my bathroom. It came with 2 pads that are rather thick, so I do wonder just how hot the water really is by the time it hits the cleaning surface. I used the handheld and took it to the counters in our rental house and it loosened a lot of gunk, especially around the cooktop. Yuck.

You can also use the carpet glide attachment to supposedly kill any smells that may be in your carpeting. The master bedroom closet of this house had a cat-pee smell to it when we moved in, and after running the steamer through there, the smell is gone. (I don't know if other steamers can go on carpeting? That may not be specific to the Haan.)

I went with the Haan after I read all the reviews for the Shark on Amazon. The Haan was more expensive but all the accessories and being able to use a hand-held option was worth it for me.

I have the Enviro Steamer. I've been pleased. I use it on linoleum, wood and tile. The slick white tile *is* the most prone to streaking, but not a big deal for me.

Beware that it does have a tendency to leave a puddle the first few uses. I read a review that mentioned that. It didn't strike me until after a few week's use. It remedied itself after a couple more uses. I would just pay attention if using on wood.

As for the pads/no bleach issue...I have heard of folks just trimming down a terry cloth to fit. Like those bulk dish towels from Sam's. Just trim a bit and they fit and work great, so I've read. I've not tried it yet as my 2 pads are still in decent shape.

I like the bit of weight on the mop head, due to the tank being there as opposed to on the handle. (I don't get that either) Helps get after a tough spot without feeling like you're going to break the whole contraption.

I've had the Enviro Steamer for several months now and while it's not a miracle machine, I am very pleased. I just have nasty linoleum to work with...one tends to wish for miracles in that situation. ;) LOL

I researched this up the WAZOO a couple of weeks ago as we needed one for our tiled home in Florida and for the mucky shower stall. I wanted something good on grout, tile, wood, sinks, toilets--the works! So lots of accesory attachments were a plus.

After much research, I settled on the McCulloch and i have used it for HOURS. Ihave cleaned our showers, sinks, tile, hardwood, and it's been wonderful. Yes, for the first pass when the grout is quite dark, we needed to use some elbow grease--it's not magic ;) But the versatility of this little guy is great. The quality is top notch-brass fixtures and they even throw in a screwdriver so you can screw in the ONE screw. As for accessories, it has many, but you will need to purchase replacements for the smaller scrubber attachments. I even steamed my wrinkly shirt with it last night! It gets very hot, which is great (some don't get as hot as they say they do) and the customer service, I've heard, is great. It holds a LOT of water, which is key as I don't want to be refilling constantly. I even used it to clean our car seats--they look great.

keep in mind we've only had this 2 weeks, but I love it.

BTW, I posted photos of our before and after bathroom and baseboard at Amazon-the photos are the LAST four posted right under the main image (click View and Share Related Images and then go to the last four--those are mine!)

ETA: In Florida, mold and mildew are a constant battle, and this seems to be working!

Edited by Halcyon

I researched this up the WAZOO a couple of weeks ago as we needed one for our tiled home in Florida and for the mucky shower stall. I wanted something good on grout, tile, wood, sinks, toilets--the works! So lots of accesory attachments were a plus.

After much research, I settled on the McCulloch and i have used it for HOURS. Ihave cleaned our showers, sinks, tile, hardwood, and it's been wonderful. Yes, for the first pass when the grout is quite dark, we needed to use some elbow grease--it's not magic ;) But the versatility of this little guy is great. The quality is top notch-brass fixtures and they even throw in a screwdriver so you can screw in the ONE screw. As for accessories, it has many, but you will need to purchase replacements for the smaller scrubber attachments. I even steamed my wrinkly shirt with it last night! It gets very hot, which is great (some don't get as hot as they say they do) and the customer service, I've heard, is great. It holds a LOT of water, which is key as I don't want to be refilling constantly. I even used it to clean our car seats--they look great.

BTW, I posted photos of our before and after bathroom and baseboard at Amazon-the photos are the LAST four posted right under the main image (click View and Share Related Images and then go to the last four--those are mine!)

ETA: In Florida, mold and mildew are a constant battle, and this seems to be working!

Wow, those are impressive pictures.

Laura

Wow! Impressive pics! I may have to get that bad boy. Our master shower is all tile. Having more functions than just mopping sounds great. My mind is whirring, thinking of all the possibilities.... :)

I have the Eureka Enviro Steam Mop ($63). I clean houses part time for extra income, so I use this mop 3 - 4 times a week. I really did my homework before deciding to buy this one, and I am extremely happy with it.

After much research, I settled on the McCulloch and i have used it for HOURS.

Well, I will be getting both of these thanks to you two. :001_smile:

Wow! Impressive pics! I may have to get that bad boy. Our master shower is all tile. Having more functions than just mopping sounds great. My mind is whirring, thinking of all the possibilities.... :)

Yep-my eldest spent an hour and a half cleaning our bathroom grout today; he loves the steam and "wow!" cleaning power of it LOL. (anything that gets 'em to help out!) Keep in mind you don't want to scrub too hard with the attachments themselves. Let the steam do the work. Then take a rag and wipe away the grime (for lighter stains) or a hard brush and give a little scrub to the grout/tile/etc. For lighter semi-daily cleaning of tile floors, I just use the regular floor attachment and go over the floor like a vacuum--works great. But for deeper dirt, like in a shower or grout, you need to do a couple of passes, using a hard scrub brush and rag. I've heard after the first couple of "deep cleans" it's much easier going.

I have a Shark. I really like how the floor looks and smells when I am done. No complaints - I would definitely recommend it.

I do wonder how clean the floor really is, however. One time after steaming, I went over the floor again with a swiffer wet pad. The pad ended up filthy. :001_huh: