Menu

I am REALLY hesitant to ask this but...

All students are required to attend chapel so yes they would be present for the propsoed altar calls. They have not done altar calls with the older kids either but I am not sure if he is doing them now.

I think I have the biggest issue with the parents not being present. Your answers have been very clarifying.

I would consider whether the parents of the Christian students would be happy if the shoe were on the other foot. If their children were in a Buddhist or Hindu school because it gave a good education and the parents knew the children were required to attend worship services in that faith, then suddenly for every service their children are being pressured to publicly renounce their own faith (and, possibly, their family and culture) and convert. That's a lot to lay on an elementary age child. I think it has the potential to be very divisive between the students as well because it would draw what I would consider to be unnecessary attention to the differences between the students.

Honestly, it sounds as if this director of religious life (I think that was his title?) might do well to seek a position that is more in line with his passion for proselytization. He doesn't seem to have a good understanding of the existing culture of the school.

Edited by KarenNC

I'm torn. Being Pentecostal, "altar calls" were very prevalent in my church. I remember sitting there thinking, "so, if I don't get up and go down there to the altar I won't be saved? Really?". LOL. It isn't Biblical. But I think some people need to hear that Jesus IS extending an invitation...an invitation to accept Him and be saved. Especially newcomers...people who haven't been "churched" if you kwim. I am a private person. I don't like to make a spectacle of myself. I wouldn't walk down the aisle with all eyes on me if you paid me! But thank God I don't have to in order to be saved. I also have a tough time with altar calls when a pastor calls people out who are dealing with "x, y or z" issue to be prayed for. That, in itself, is awesome. However, can God NOT bless me or heal me in my seat if He so chooses? I'm grateful that in our church our altar is open. People can come if they want, pray, cry, repent, be prayed for, etc. And we do have the occasional salvation call...but we always make clear that salvation is more than a "prayer" you repeat. It's a change of heart.

I would consider whether the parents of the Christian students would be happy if the shoe were on the other foot. If their children were in a Buddhist or Hindu school because it gave a good education and the parents knew the children were required to attend worship services in that faith, then suddenly for every service their children are being pressured to publicly renounce their own faith (and, possibly, their family and culture) and convert. That's a lot to lay on an elementary age child. I think it has the potential to be very divisive between the students as well because it would draw what I would consider to be unnecessary attention to the differences between the students.

Honestly, it sounds as if this director of religious life (I think that was his title?) might do well to seek a position that is more in line with his passion for proselytization. He doesn't seem to have a good understanding of the existing culture of the school.

:iagree:

I think they are manipulative, insincere, non Biblical, creepy, and scripted.

And I am so blessed they were there! :) I think God can use anything or anyone to further His kingdom...whether it be a homeless person, a successful executive, a storm, a rainbow....I went up as a result of an altar call and I can honestly say that the Holy Spirit was tugging at my heart and spoke to me...some people do need that invitation...I hold no ill feelings about it.

I attend a church today that does not do altar calls b/c we choose our church not based on denomination but based on bible teaching...they have had one or two altar calls in the past 3 years when I guess the pastor felt moved to...it is not one of those things that would prevent or cause me to choose a church...it is not one of those things I condemn as being unbiblical...Paul was said to have spoken to every single household in Ephesus about God and asking them to follow Jesus...I think a door to door approach is just as relevant as an altar call..you are simply asking them to come and profess their desire to follow Him....many of Paul's letters ended with such a wish...I think the intent is fine, but just as all the church's of Rome/Greece/Jerusalem were not following the same traditions...neither do the churches today...

Don't like them. Never go down that aisle. The are manipulations of emotion and encourage drama. It makes me think of a "people zoo".

Emotion is not to be trusted. We should listen and consider it... but it is not for major decisions. Alter calls hinge completely on emotion - highs and lows. Somewhere, a person must think and discuss their troubles or confessions or celebrations... but those situations require conversations and support... not drama and exhibitionism.

I think that no matter how you or others feel about it it would not be appropriate in a school setting, when the parents are not there. That is something they should be involved in, or at least witness to.

:iagree: My limited understanding is that something like this is a milestone or rite of passage type thing. Parents should be there for these things.

I don't like them at all. I think it is even dangerous for a child (or anyone) to believe that because they walked the aisle or said a prayer that they are saved. No where in the Bible does it tell us this. I think it is especially dangerous with children who might be led to walk the aisle because their friends are and they have no real understanding of what that means.

Ok, I responded with a firm but slightly vague: due to the diversity of our student body and the young age of our students, I am uncomfortable with having altar call as part of our weekly chapel.

And I thanked him for the suggestion, all his hard work, etc. He has not responded. He is really good at his job and he is a great guy. I hope he understands. I respect him and I don't want a theological showdown, ya know?

We have a new spiritual life director and he has asked if he can include altar calls with my elementary students and something about it doesn't sit well with me

Is this to say that he has an idea already formed (i.e. does not need permission to proceed) for the students above elementary age, or does your school only have elem age children?

I waited to answer, because I wanted to give this a little thought. Personally, my experience with altar calls has only been positive, both as participant and as facilitator. Looking back I realize that all I wanted for those kids, teens, and adults was the same warm healing experiences I had.

But one thing I failed to account for was the different emotional makeup of the individuals. Many are not as publicly demonstrative as I am and that is not wrong.

I feel a little bad for you "spiritual life developer." What is his job discription and how does that intersect with the mission of the school? Is the school evangelical in nature?

As to the sinners prayer: it just is not theologically sound and can set children up for a very confusing spiritual excistence.

Good luck!

Is this to say that he has an idea already formed (i.e. does not need permission to proceed) for the students above elementary age, or does your school only have elem age children?

No it means that I have no say for kids older than elementary. He would consult with the middle school and high school principals for the older kids.

Ok, I responded with a firm but slightly vague: due to the diversity of our student body and the young age of our students, I am uncomfortable with having altar call as part of our weekly chapel.

And I thanked him for the suggestion, all his hard work, etc. He has not responded. He is really good at his job and he is a great guy. I hope he understands. I respect him and I don't want a theological showdown, ya know?

I don't think that's vague. I think it's well-worded and respectful. Bravo.

I'm glad our nondenom church doesn't have them, but I'm also glad that the pastor mentions that he is sticking around after service if anyone wants to talk to him.

I think you can find a middle ground that leaves room for a person who needs/wants prayer without making them feel they are being emotionally manipulated or part of a quota.

I share your concerns regarding altar calls and the sinner's prayer. It also sounds like we grew up with similar experiences. LOL.

as always I agree with Daisy. Our church does them but very low pressure. in fact they are more geared to believers who wish to go forward for a bit of prayer with a friend.

I think it is even dangerous for a child (or anyone) to believe that because they walked the aisle or said a prayer that they are saved. No where in the Bible does it tell us this. I think it is especially dangerous with children who might be led to walk the aisle because their friends are and they have no real understanding of what that means.

I have always been glad our church doesn't do altar calls, I think they're manipulative and shallow and I find the whole idea repugnant. I'm also glad our offerings are given in private, as I think public collection is manipulative too. And I've never been able to figure out how anyone who has actually read the New Testament could think that the "sinner's prayer" is a good idea. Ick, ick, ick.

Altar calls (as others have said) are not mentioned in the Bible.

Neither is a sinner's prayer.

Often we set up children and parents for a road of false assurance (you are saved if you prayed that prayer).This is why we have some who appear to "fall away" when they are older. They were never in the kingdom to start with.

That being said, God uses many different roads to call His people to Himself. Even altar calls at times. I do feel that they do more harm than good since many believe they are saved because they walked down an aisle rather than trusting in Jesus to take the punishment they deserve for their sin.

Heather,

I think you handled it well!