Menu

If YOU (Mom) are sick, what do you have the kids do?

scrapbookbuzz

If I am so ill that I need to stay in bed, my dh can usually take a day off from work and take over lessons. If I am just feeling yucky, I tell my eldest to do what he can with out me and they youngest gets a day off.

My boys will play together for hours. If they get sick of that, there is always audio books and legos.

I was sick in bed vomiting and with a fever of 102 last month.

I talked the older kids (ages 8 and 10) through doing their regular chores and a few of my chores, like putting in a load of laundry.

I told them to do the next math sheets in their books and to set a timer and both read silently. I asked them to quiz each other on their Spanish flash cards. I just happened to have some fresh lapbook components ready, so they worked on that while listening to audio books.

Past that, I was deliriously happy for them to just play together and occupy their younger brother for the rest of the day.

Good luck!

I am rarely sick to the point of being unable to do anything. If I were I'd probably just let them watch TV all day while I rested.

This is what I did. I think I was that sick once in the last year? I have enough extra time built into the schedule that it doesn't matter if we take a day or two off, or even a week.

Now if I had a serious illness that kept me sick for months, I'd have to change something, of course. ;)

Hello there :)

I'm thinking you must not be well to be posting this question? I hope you feel better (((hugs)))!

Honestly... I call it a day and let the kids do whatever they want (as long as they are quiet) and I do my best not to feel guilty about it.

Depends upon how sick I am... If I'm really sick, dh will stay home and minimal school work will get done.

If I'm not sick enough to ask dh to stay home, I retreat to my room, with the door open, have the kids do online history, read, anything they can do without me. At some point, I will allow other programs to be on (movies, whatever...so I can rest).

If I just feel like I do today... I try to push through. Although, I'm not taking them swimming tonight. Nearly fell asleep (at 7pm) driving them home last night. Feel worse today. Not going. My oldest is 12. My youngest is 2. I have stuff on-hand to eat quickly (that the three oldest can prepare).

Mine are pretty independent in a lot of subjects, so they can do quite a bit themselves, knowing that they can put a post-it flag on anything they need help with when I'm feeling better (or when Dad gets home from work).

They can do silent reading, DS8 can do spelling, DS10 can do vocabulary, they can both do Latin, German, Math, they can do the reading portion of Chemistry (though no labs without me :D). They can do some of the reading for history and some map work, critical thinking, DS10 can do grammar, they can both do typing, DS8 can do his Earobics and some of his PT, they can do the copywork portion of WWE, practice their musical instruments with a metronome, and DS10 can help DS8 with Grammar.

With the extra time, they can play outdoors in the yard, watch history videos on the History channel or science videos on the Discovery channel, watch the Happy Scientist on the computer or do Khan Academy, and do most of their chores without my help (wiping bathroom sinks, putting away clean silverware from the dishwasher, vacuuming the family room, dustmopping the front hall and dining room, taking out the compost and recycling, wiping down the kitchen table, etc etc).

If they get all that done, they earn the right to a day off while Mom sleeps and tries to recover. Light day for kiddos.

We just had this situation last week. :) Two sick kiddos and a Momma with no sleep for three nights.

My oldest two (10 and 8) do whatever they can from their planners. Usually math, Latin, science, literature, handwriting, vocab, logic, some history, etc.

We, also, pick up some movies from the library. Since they do not watch tv very often, I don't feel bad falling back on these at times like this. And, take advantage of Netflix for Blues Clues, etc.

Our kids have survived a little extra tv every once and a while. :)

Documentaries on netflix are a big hit, especially if I watch with them. Liberty's kids is on streaming, btw. Pop some popcorn and watch documentaries all day. Do a "Try something new" day--like Shakespeare, all under-sea docs or survival videos...tell the kids you need their help and pour yourself a cup of tea. Get yourself comfy on the sofa, let them snuggle and do as little as possible. These are our "Mom's sick" days.

If they get restless and the weather is nice, I send them outside to find a "project" to do in the woods. :D

Dd sometimes gets time off if I'm dead sick, but she does as much independently as possible that I have already planned out for her. I've also been known to lie on the couch and have school in the living room a time or two. We're flexible and just take each day as it comes.

Hope you are on the mend soon!

Blessings,

Lucinda

Don't forget, that if the kids were in brick & mortar school (not that that is ideal ;)), if teacher is sick enough, she/he stays home and calls a substitute. In that case, learning will not be happening as usual :)

So far I've not been head-on sick but when I'm feeling "blah" I drop the more mom-intensive subjects. We do some schooling in the summer so I never feel too pressed to get everything done if one of us isn't feeling good. This week DS was looking sick so I stopped school half way through and we watched liberty kids and took it easy. Sister got a break too but we still did *some* of our work. Gotta love the flexibility :)

I'd have them do:

all of their independent school subjects. (We use workboxes so it's easily set up for this)

their family service (chores)

an extra chore that would help you that's age-appropriate and skill-appropriate (not something new that they'll come ask you 50 questions about!)

Let them watch educational tv

clean their rooms

Let them pick a movie to watch

Have the 13 yo make dinner, even if it's soup & sandwiches.

Listen to audio books or Adventures in Oddyssey

Not necessarily all of these in one day! Generally they have a bit more free time when I'm sick, but still do some school & chores.

Hope you feel better soon!

Merry :-)

I definitely give myself sick time if I need it. They're not tiny kids; they can feed themselves things that don't require the oven or stove, read, and play on their own. They're both working over a year "ahead"; a couple of days of playtime won't hurt them. On the flip side, we school year-round and sometimes on weekends, so they're not suffering for lack of school time.