Menu

Liturgical Christmas/Advent traditions...

please share yours! :D I am discovering so much more to this season as I learn about more historic forms of celebrating. Things like the Nativity fast. Saint Nicholals shoes, the 12 days of Christmas, and Advent.

Right now I am looking for homemade advent wreath ideas and ideas for the 12 days of Christmas.

Check your church calendar -- they might keep you hopping on their own! ;)

One of the priests we know reads the St. Nicholas story at church in a dark, candle-lit nave on the evening of Dec. 5. He looks like a thin Santa Claus with his long white beard. He says kids will stop him on the street and ask if he's Santa Claus and he replies, "No, but he's a good friend of mine." Then we go home and the kids line up one shoe each in front of the door. We put small gifts in them to celebrate the giving of St. Nicholas.

We're planning on doing the 52-day version of the Jesse Tree this year (w/readings from Orthodox tradition). We'll put our Christmas tree up within a week of Christmas, and maybe not decorate it until Christmas Eve or Christmas night.

We'll participate in any services/vigils/liturgies that are held at our parish.

On Christmas day, we'll go to church, open gifts at home, then probably get together with others from the parish for a meal later in the day to join in breaking the 6+ week vegan fast together.

We'll then celebrate the 12 Days of Christmas with joy! No school, time with friends, last year I hosted a cookie exchange and might do that again, etc.

Growing up RC we usually did advent wreath and advent calendar.

This year I am thinking of picking up an advent calendar and/or advent wreath. Doing readings and making some handmade ornaments with dd. We always put up our nativity. This year we will wait and put baby Jesus in on Christmas morning.

Are you thinking of family things or church things?

For family, we have an Advent calander, though it is really more of a "December" calender. Dh's mom made it, so we can't trade it in. Last year we also made a Jesse tree, and I think we'll do it again this year. We haven't tended to do much of a fast because my kids are fairly small and my dh is away for Advent, but we do look to do something along those lines that will play a similar role for us. Our Christmas traditions are pretty average, we go to church Christmas Eve for the four o'clock service where the children sing, and on Christmas day the kids have stockings from Santa and we have a dinner with family.

I've wanted to get in the habit of going to church in the morning, but I haven't found a way to make that work - maybe if dh is home this year, but it gets tricky alone.

Our Advent traditions at Church include an Advent service of lessons and carols, an Advent wreath, and the big highlight for the kids is the visit from St Nicolas. They spend the previous week in Sunday school making cookies and other preparations, and then he comes after the Eucharist the next week and passes out oranges. There is also a big garland work party where we make a pine garland that goes all around the church. On Christmas Eve we have a service more for families before supper, and then a candlelight service at 11 that has strings accompanying the organ and choir. Then there are also Christmas moning and St Stephen's day services.

Similar to others here. Our church has a potluck the week before Advent and we make our wreaths--we use a wire wreath form with that floral foam stuff in it, and then we have piles of live greens to put on it. Sure smells good in the parish hall! We get the candles that night, too--3 purples and a pink for us.

At home, we try not to do too much Christmas decorating until the middle of December--it's a compromise for us. We try to keep things Christmas-y until Epiphany, keeping the tree up until then (12 DoC).

We hold hands and pray before we open gifts.

We do have a calendar, but it's a felt one for December that my mom made (similar, probably, to a PP).

And, this year, I'm having dd memorize the Luke version of the Christmas story. :D

We use an Advent wreath, singing "O Come, O Come Emmanuel" while lighting each night. I made my own with a vintage wood tray and greenery. I put pillar candles inside the tray in a circle and then filled it with greenery and jeweled berries. I really like using pillar candles because we like to keep it lit throughout dinner and well into the evening. Something about the candlelight just seems to make the home feel more sacred and peaceful throughout the crazy holiday season.

We make Jesse trees (which my kids LOVE), celebrate St. Nicholas' feast day (he always left fudge and tooth brushes at my home growing up so that's what my kids get), and St. Lucy's feast (since we have a Lucy and some Swedish blood).

Oh, and a religious bookstore near us always does a birthday party for Jesus. They provide costumes and scenery for a nativity picture with the kids, which is just too cute. I had to attach last year's shot!

post-30834-13535085697997_thumb.jpg

The Advent wreath

St. Nicholas day

St. Lucy day

The empty manger - Each child may have his own individual manger, or there may be one manger for the whole family. The idea is that when acts of service, sacrifice, or kindness are done in honor of Baby Jesus as a birthday present, the child receives a piece of straw to put into the manger. Then, on Christmas morning, “Baby Jesus†is placed in the manger. Encourage your children to make Jesus’ bed as “comfortable†as possible through their good deeds. In the process, explain Christ’s incomparable self-gift at Christmas and Easter that enables us to be part of God’s family.

The Mary candle

The Jesus candle- Any large white candle can be used for the Christ candle. The idea is to decorate it with symbols for Christ. Use old Christmas cards, sequins, holly, etc. The candle can be lit on Christmas Eve to show that the Light of the World has arrived. Then continue to light the Christ candle throughout the year at Sunday dinner to remind your family of our waiting for Christ, as well as celebrating His birth and Resurrection.

The Blessing of the tree

Does anyone have a link to a good advent wreath making tutorial? :)

Ours are most often made with florist foam that you soak and put in a dish or pie pan. The kids put in the 4 tapers, stick greenery in the foam and some sparkly decoration. If done "correctly" it is in a beautiful shape but ours usually stick out all over the place! :D Keep the foam wet so the greens don't dry out. If you are lucky you can make a family one. For many years the kids each made one at church. :lol:

I just read today (in Hark! A Christmas Sampler) that the Yule log tradition was begun by the Norse after they converted to Christianity. Burning the log symbolized burning away pagan traditions, including worship of Yggdrasil, the World Tree.

Anyone have a confirmation (or refutation) of this? I thought it was very cool and we may just have to have a Yule log this year!

There is a lovely Advent song by Mary Lu Walker with a verse for each candle. We sing this as we light the candle in our wreath. My family's Advent wreath is just four star shaped candle holders and one round one with a bit of greenery. My mother actually still uses the Advent wreath I made in kindergarten. :)

Ours are most often made with florist foam that you soak and put in a dish or pie pan. The kids put in the 4 tapers, stick greenery in the foam and some sparkly decoration. If done "correctly" it is in a beautiful shape but ours usually stick out all over the place! :D Keep the foam wet so the greens don't dry out. If you are lucky you can make a family one. For many years the kids each made one at church. :lol:

This is what I was trying to say above.

If you want to make one, just cut a bunch of pieces of boxwood or holly, or other greenery; you want pieces that are about 6 inches long or so (you can go longer or slightly shorter, and you can always trim). Put the foam in a circle, or use a wire wreath form and put it inbetween the circles (fill in the wreath with the foam). I put the greens in angled to make the wreath. I make mine pretty full--and I use "soft" greens like boxwood b/c holly hurts when it dries out a bit! I put plastic candle holders in at 12, 3, 6 and 9 "o'clock" on the wreath, and then put the candles in. We always put in a white Christ candle in the middle--sometimes we put it in for all of Advent, and sometimes we just put it in on Christmas am. Like Starr said, keep the foam wet, and put the whole thing on a shallow round tray (build it on the tray and it's easier than moving it). You can sub in some fresh greens if they start to get too dry. Ours actually lasts pretty well (about 5 weeks, since we make it the week before).

F

This is what I was trying to say above.

If you want to make one, just cut a bunch of pieces of boxwood or holly, or other greenery; you want pieces that are about 6 inches long or so (you can go longer or slightly shorter, and you can always trim). Put the foam in a circle, or use a wire wreath form and put it inbetween the circles (fill in the wreath with the foam). I put the greens in angled to make the wreath. I make mine pretty full--and I use "soft" greens like boxwood b/c holly hurts when it dries out a bit! I put plastic candle holders in at 12, 3, 6 and 9 "o'clock" on the wreath, and then put the candles in. We always put in a white Christ candle in the middle--sometimes we put it in for all of Advent, and sometimes we just put it in on Christmas am. Like Starr said, keep the foam wet, and put the whole thing on a shallow round tray (build it on the tray and it's easier than moving it). You can sub in some fresh greens if they start to get too dry. Ours actually lasts pretty well (about 5 weeks, since we make it the week before).

Where do I get the plastic candle holders? I am sure this is a really basic question, but I am just trying to figure this all out in my head. ;)

F

Where do I get the plastic candle holders? I am sure this is a really basic question, but I am just trying to figure this all out in my head. ;)

Any Michael's or craft store will have them. They will even probably have Advent candles. Sometimes they come together. Christian bookstores might, too--Lifeway has Advent wreaths, and so does Family Christian. Catholic bookstores are sure to.

Does anyone have a link to a good advent wreath making tutorial? :)

Like Mother, Like Daughter has a great one.

I'm doing all that Parrothead is doing, but I'm also making a Jesse Tree. We're making out own ornaments for it, and I ordered The Jesse Tree by Geraldine McCaughrean.

For St. Lucy's Day, we're making a fruit bread, putting candles in it for Lucy's crown of candles that she used to help the Christians-

replacement8.jpg

and making star cone hats for the Star boys. lucy9.jpg

Actually, there's supposed to be a fantastic Orthodox book on St. Lucy, Lucia, St. Of Light.

For St. Nicholas Day, we're doing the shoes and chocolate coins in them for the coins he gave to the widowers daughters for their dowry. I also have Tomie de Paola's St. Nicholas book we'll read.

And an advent wreath. Google images-advent wreath :-)

advent_wreath.jpg

I'm planning on keeping the decorating Low Key and expectant until Christmas Eve.

Edited by justamouse

F

The nice thing is, there is no "right" way. The lighting of the candle, reading scripture and saying prayers together is the important part. Some of what it looks like can be up to you. I will find a picture tomorrow when ds can post it for me unless someone more computer literate does it tonight.

I missed all these wonderful pics last night! I am really starting to miss my interent connection. ;(

Like Mother, Like Daughter has a great one.

I'm doing all that Parrothead is doing, but I'm also making a Jesse Tree. We're making out own ornaments for it, and I ordered The Jesse Tree by Geraldine McCaughrean.

For St. Lucy's Day, we're making a fruit bread, putting candles in it for Lucy's crown of candles that she used to help the Christians-

replacement8.jpg

and making star cone hats for the Star boys. lucy9.jpg

Actually, there's supposed to be a fantastic Orthodox book on St. Lucy, Lucia, St. Of Light.

For St. Nicholas Day, we're doing the shoes and chocolate coins in them for the coins he gave to the widowers daughters for their dowry. I also have Tomie de Paola's St. Nicholas book we'll read.

And an advent wreath. Google images-advent wreath :-)

advent_wreath.jpg

I'm planning on keeping the decorating Low Key and expectant until Christmas Eve.

Praying the rosary, focusing on the Joyful Mysteries, is great spiritual preparation as well as it focuses on the time before Jesus' birth, His birth, and then his childhood.

Joyful Mysteries

1. The Annunciation

2. The Visitation (Mary visits Elizabeth)

3. The Nativity

4. The Presentation

5. Finding in the Temple

One of the traditions that we have that the kids just love is the birthday cake we make for Jesus. We make it on Dec 24th. As soon as they get up on Christmas morning, they jump in our bed, I go down and get the cake, we light candles and we sing HB to Jesus and remember His birth and all of the wonderful blessings we have as a family. We say prayers together and then eat cake in bed - at 7am or earlier :tongue_smilie:

I find it helps all of us to focus on the true meaning before everyone goes crazy with stockings, gifts, etc

We serve the rest of the cake for dessert that night and sing HB again with extended family.

We do Advent calendars -- dc love the ones from Madelaine Chocolate -- they are cheerful, with decent sized, good quality chocolate in each window. I have some rather expensive, more religious ones from Met Museum of Art, National Gallery, etc, which I (gasp!) reuse/rotate from year to year.

http://www.madelainechocolate.com/

We do an Advent wreath that changes into a Christmas wreath on Christmas Eve, so it takes us to January 6. I use a metal holder with holders for four candles. I wire it to a craft store twiggy type wreath and put artificial greenery (conifers, ivy, holly), plus pink and violet berries. Everything from AC Moore (even though link below is from Amazon). Advent candles can be bought in sets -- much easier than trying to find the right liturgical colors otherwise. I tie a coordinating ribbon at the base of each candle.

http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Evergreens-GA2-Advent-Wreath/dp/B0017LE20A/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1320456528&sr=8-6

For Christmas, we put a cream pillar candle in the center and decorate with cream roses, gold pomegranates, gold berries and clusters of "pearls." (I'd post a pix if I could figure out how to.)

We have a booklet of daily prayers for the candle lighting each evening.

We also do a crêche, play Advent music (not Christmas carols).

And of course St. Nicholas Day, getting lots of ideas here:

http://www.stnicholascenter.org/pages/home/

I've been meaning to do a Waldorf style Advent Spiral ceremony -- perhaps this year I'll get to it:

http://www.openwaldorf.com/adventspiral.html

Another tradition I've been wanting to try is Christingles:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/tees/content/articles/2007/12/05/christingle_feature.shtml

And, to finish up this longer than planned post, I wanted to add that we make a great celebration of the Twelve Days of Christmas, ending with Epiphany -- doing that makes a nice balance to the Advent season.

Edited by Alessandra

replacement8.jpg

Beautiful picture -- I usually remember St Lucy after the day has passed -- I will put it on my calendar now. Thanks! Do you have a special recipe (or link to one)?

Do you have a link for this? I can't find the book you mean and the boys would love it!

The Christingle looks very special :)

We do Advent calendars -- dc love the ones from Madelaine Chocolate -- they are cheerful, with decent sized, good quality chocolate in each window. I have some rather expensive, more religious ones from Met Museum of Art, National Gallery, etc, which I (gasp!) reuse/rotate from year to year.

http://www.madelainechocolate.com/

We do an Advent wreath that changes into a Christmas wreath on Christmas Eve, so it takes us to January 6. I use a metal holder with holders for four candles. I wire it to a craft store twiggy type wreath and put artificial greenery (conifers, ivy, holly), plus pink and violet berries. Everything from AC Moore (even though link below is from Amazon). Advent candles can be bought in sets -- much easier than trying to find the right liturgical colors otherwise. I tie a coordinating ribbon at the base of each candle.

http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Evergreens-GA2-Advent-Wreath/dp/B0017LE20A/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1320456528&sr=8-6

For Christmas, we put a cream pillar candle in the center and decorate with cream roses, gold pomegranates, gold berries and clusters of "pearls." (I'd post a pix if I could figure out how to.)

We have a booklet of daily prayers for the candle lighting each evening.

We also do a crêche, play Advent music (not Christmas carols).

And of course St. Nicholas Day, getting lots of ideas here:

http://www.stnicholascenter.org/pages/home/

I've been meaning to do a Waldorf style Advent Spiral ceremony -- perhaps this year I'll get to it:

http://www.openwaldorf.com/adventspiral.html

Another tradition I've been wanting to try is Christingles:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/tees/content/articles/2007/12/05/christingle_feature.shtml

And, to finish up this longer than planned post, I wanted to add that we make a great celebration of the Twelve Days of Christmas, ending with Epiphany -- doing that makes a nice balance to the Advent season.

Beautiful picture -- I usually remember St Lucy after the day has passed -- I will put it on my calendar now. Thanks! Do you have a special recipe (or link to one)?

If I get time to copy it tomorrow, I will, but it's kinda like this.

Do you have a link for this? I can't find the book you mean and the boys would love it!

You can't find it because I got the author wrong! It's St. Nicholas by Ann Tompert.

The Legend of St Nicholas by Demi is also a great one.

If you have younger kids, this is a beautiful advent book to read through December: http://www.amazon.com/Advent-Storybook-Stories-Before-Christmas/dp/0735819637/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1320460921&sr=1-1. I like it because it is sweet but not sappy, Christian without being preachy, and cute without being stupid. I recommend it highly!:001_smile:

You can't find it because I got the author wrong! It's St. Nicholas by Ann Tompert.

The Legend of St Nicholas by Demi is also a great one.

Oh, the Anne Tompert book is one of our favorites -- the pix all look like mosaics. My dc acted out one of the scenes from the book. We made a window frame (one side of a cardboard box with a more-or-less rectangular hole cut out). DD put a white cloth on her head and held up the window -- she was the poor daughter. Ds wore his mitre (gold gift bag with glued on braid & jewels) and staff (from St Nicholas Center, but you don't really need this) and tossed some gold candy coins through the "window."