Menu

Anyone else taking a break for a while?

We're stopping here for now.

We school year-round and I'm so tired that I feel like I'm walking thru a thick fog. Like I have battle fatigue or something... I have all this stuff in my planner for today and I can't even get myself to open it.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I plan to keep reading thru our Narnia book (and that ROAR! book that goes with it)...but that's all I can stomach for now.

:svengo:

My husband's going to come home from work and there will be my skeleton on the school room floor. My copy of TWTM will be in one hand and my planner in the other (with maybe some pencils strewn on the floor). :tongue_smilie:

My husband's going to come home from work and there will be my skeleton on the school room floor. My copy of TWTM will be in one hand and my planner in the other (with maybe some pencils strewn on the floor). :tongue_smilie:

LOVE this idea! We're not taking a complete break but definitely not doing a full schedule, either. Mentally, I just can't do it. Along with that I'm trying to figure out exactly what to do with my 7 year old son who seems to need a lot of physical activity!

I had this early last month after our 1st 9 weeks of the year. We school year round too. We took the month of July completely off, but it was a completely jam packed month of Independence Day, 2 family birthdays, our family vacation, gardening, school planning, shopping, etc. that it wasn't really a break! Then we jumped back to the books in Aug and went full force starting some things and full force finishing up some things.

We kept up only SOTW, because honestly we could do that all year and still not finish a volume and Latin because she is keeping up a schedule with co-op. But no math or English or phonics or spelling hip hip hurray!

Now I don't want to take any more breaks until Christmas because we will need to save the days for sick days too.

We take the entire week of Thanksgiving off for our "fall break" and I must say, I'm looking forward to it. I feel almost paralyzed lately, so much I WANT to do (homeschooling, homemaking etc.) that it seems I can't do anything or at least not anything WELL. :glare:

That's how I feel, too - paralyzed. Ugh.

When I get mentally or physically exhausted I don't take breaks, I just scale back to only math, grammar, and the kids reading silently for an hour. It seems to keep me sane. I love Teaching Textbooks, not only because it is working, but because it's 90% independent. Grammar instruction only takes about 15 minutes with GWG, so I can let my mind turn to mush after that and take a breather.

The other thing I do to make myself feel less guilty is that the boys can't watch TV or play computer or video games. They can spend the day reading, playing boardgames, or playing outside. I figure they are still getting something that is brain healthy, even though it is taking place without me.

I'm in a funk too. We are doing the bare minimum everyday but other than that there has been a lot of playing. Kids haven't been behaving well lately so we are taking time to work on stopping the large amount of fighting that is taking over my house. Plus I just haven't had the time, energy, or motivation to do anything but the bare minimum. Thankfully we school year round and are ahead of schedule on the basics so we can take more time this spring to catch up on history and science.

We normally take a week off at Thanksgiving, but I've decided that tomorrow is our last day until after the holiday. We're closing on our new home in a week and I desperately need a break to pack, clean, and unpack before Thanksgiving. I've kept us right on schedule through morning sickness and all the stress of house shopping, mortgage applications, and weekend vacations. I need a break.