Menu

Need decor/lighting help, please

We just moved in to the new place on Saturday. I've spent most of the time since then cleaning the old place and getting my kitchen unpacked. Now I need to deal with some other pressing issues. One of them is lighting in the living room.

This living room has no built-in light fixtures at all. It gets no natural light until sun down, and then it blinds anyone sitting on the couch. I have one rather dim, mood-lighting, kind of lamp. It's dark in here!

I need help with lighting. Lamps/lighting are not my thing. I prefer bright overhead lighting coming from a nice ceiling fixture. Since that isn't going to happen, can you help me brighten up this room?

I've attached two pictures of the living room showing the configuration, my furniture (chocolate brown), the curtains (left by previous tenant...we might keep them), and my one lamp. The lamp to the left of the love seat belongs in my bedroom but we needed something in here temporarily.

you definitely need one of those floor lamps which have multiple globes/bulbs. Here is an example: http://www.bestpricedfurniture.com/4-arm-arch-floor-lamp-4871-prd1.html?productFeedId=0&utm_source=shopzillaFeed&utm_medium=shoppingEngine&utm_medium=shopzilla

They also have the type where you can bend each end to face the area of your choice. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=202065342&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&cm_mmc=shopping-_-shopzilla-_-D27-_-202065342&cpncode=27-63312790-2&srccode=cii_10043468&locStoreNum=2667

Those may not be lamps you personally like, but shop around. one or two of them in the room, one at either end, would surely brighten it up!

I'd try to have at least three points of light in a triangle shape if possible. It creates a nice atmosphere. Target and other similar stores sell lamp sets in boxes. Usually, they come with two matching table lamps and one standing lamp. That would give you a good start. You could place the table lamps on your end tables and the standing lamp near your television.

You can look on the shelves for another matching lamp to put on your bookcase. (I think that's what you have there.) You have a beautiful room. You may need 4-5 lamps. You could put a standing lamp next to the end of the couch and a smaller lamp on the bookcase.

You want the light to cover the areas you'll be using. Check near the sofa to see if you can read and the middle of the room for games on the floor, etc.

HTH! :)

Edited by Jaz

Table lamps at each far end and then a floor lamp on the right where the couch starts. If you have a Home Goods in your area, definitely check there. They always have some really pretty lamps.:)

Also, you didn't ask this, but I think the heavy drapes they left may also be making the room seem darker/smaller.

My biggest concern about floor lamps is how easily they tip over...especially around a very active 4 year old who can't seem to learn that his feet belong on the floor, that shelves and other furniture are not for climbing/standing/walking on, etc. He'd probably try to use it as a fireman's pole. We're hoping to get another lamp that matches the one we have for the table on the left of the love seat. Maybe we can find a sturdy matching floor lamp for the other end of the couch.

My drapes are black with an olive green, chocolate, and light tan leaf pattern, and they are double panel. I have them to help keep out the cold during the winter. I don't think they'll lighten up the room. LOL

Even with the drapes open, the room gets almost no light. The whole house is really dark. It faces northwest, I think. Each room has one window, and we're surrounded by tall pine trees. There's no way for the sun to get in here. At night, the bedroom is completely pitch black.

Edited by joannqn

My daughter LOVES this lamp. There's a chance she'll end up with one in her room if we can find the space for it.

We recently moved and there isn't any overhead lighting in our living room either. We aren't too bad for light during the day but I do have a floor lamp and 2 table lamps in a triangle configuration and quite like it. I would still prefer an overhead light but it's okay. I have my floor lamp tucked behind my chair that sits in the corner so no danger of it getting tipped over.

We have a lot of floor lamps in the living room that I bought at Walmart (Canopy brand). Could you put two floor lamps at the back of the sofa? In other words, move the sofa away about a foot from the wall and place two lamps behind it. That way they are away from your son or even if he does try to climb, it may not fall on the floor since the shade will be stuck at the sofa on its way down. Also, if you get a torchiere that is made of plastic (Office Depot has them), it won't break. DD used to climb on these too.

I found an arc lamp at Target that I really like, and I just noticed that it's free shipping. I was planning to put this on the side of the sofa so that it's directly above where DD would be reading. This is in addition to the two lamps that I have at the back of the sofa.

Also, with table lamps, they are basically useless unless you buy those that can be adjusted for height. Ikea has one for about $30 as well and it comes with a shade.

I have many lamps in my living room because I noticed that DD's eyes were getting strained from reading if the room was not as bright as day.

My biggest concern about floor lamps is how easily they tip over...especially around a very active 4 year old who can't seem to learn that his feet belong on the floor, that shelves and other furniture are not for climbing/standing/walking on, etc. He'd probably try to use it as a fireman's pole. We're hoping to get another lamp that matches the one we have for the table on the left of the love seat. Maybe we can find a sturdy matching floor lamp for the other end of the couch.

My drapes are black with an olive green, chocolate, and light tan leaf pattern, and they are double panel. I have them to help keep out the cold during the winter. I don't think they'll lighten up the room. LOL

Even with the drapes open, the room gets almost no light. The whole house is really dark. It faces northwest, I think. Each room has one window, and we're surrounded by tall pine trees. There's no way for the sun to get in here. At night, the bedroom is completely pitch black.

Swag lamps are what you need. I bought some at Lowes, but that has been over 5 years ago.

What if you pulled the love seat away from the wall and put that smaller sofa table behind it with 2 lamps on it (one at each end). Then a different style lamp on the corner table. Also, like someone else suggested, pull the sofa away from the wall and put a floor lamp behind it on the opposite end.

That's what I was thinking. Lamps on table behind the sofa should be at least as safe as the one already on the end table.

Also, there are wall sconces that plug in. You'd just have to deal with the cord running down the wall.

My daughter LOVES this lamp. There's a chance she'll end up with one in her room if we can find the space for it.

My son has one similar to this in his bedroom. We got it at Target. They also had one where the cones were more neutral colors that could work for you in the living room.

Edited by luvnlattes

Walmart, K-mart and Target all set trio-lamp sets for between $25-50. Many come with a three-way bulb option for the standing lamps.

I'd consider switching out the curtains to a lighter color or tossing them if privacy isn't an issue.

Light-bulbs...The old fashioned give off more light than the twist, and will be banned in January. They're beginning with the 100 & 100+ watt bulbs.

Enjoy your new home:001_smile:.