Menu

Thanksgiving Family WWYD!

Mashed potatoes are very important here. One year we let SIL bring them, and she thought she would make cheesy mashed potatoes as a surprise.

The surprise for her was that nobody on earth puts American cheese into mashed potatoes.:eek: Nobody. Ever. Cause it is yucky.

I would have no issue whatsoever being honest with BIL, in a kind way. Letting him know you need the potatoes prepared and can heat them up for five minutes upon his arrival is not rude. I would also offer that I would be happy to make them myself if time is an issue, and perhaps he would prefer to pick up a dessert.

I would reply with, "The potatoes are already covered. Will you please bring a salad this year?"

:iagree: Except that I would be afraid they'd show up late with a bag full of various salad components that needed to be washed/prepped. I'd ask them to bring ice cream (for pie) or ice and drinks. . . something that requires no prep in your kitchen and won't hold everyone up if it arrives late.

And there is no way I'd hold dinner. If you say dinner is at 4, then dinner is at 4, even if they show up at 4:15.

I don't know if I should laugh, throw up, or faint.

Canned yams/sweet potatoes? *gack*

Wolf is a freakazoid. Personally, I hate cranberries, and that includes cranberry sauce. But, to please my new dh (we'd been married six months at the time) I made cranberry sauce from scratch.

Found out he prefers the jellied glop in a can. :svengo::ack2:

Are we related? My relatives chose not to even taste my made from scratch cranberry sauce and then asked if I had the kind in the can! Last year I bought the gross canned kind, saved myself time and money, and they were all happy.

1) See if they'll make them ahead of time.

2) Prepare your own with a slightly different recipe.

3) If they'll get offended by this, do some other starches so that eating can go forward. If they're sure they still want to make the potatoes, they can stay in the kitchen and do them.

Suggestions: Rice Pilaf, Scalloped Potatoes, Roast Potatoes, Macaroni and Cheese, a good bread.

I actually like the rice because that's also delicious when you pour gravy on it.

DH used to manage a Macaroni Grill and sometimes he makes one of our favorite dishes from there. When in the restaurant, he had everything prepped and waiting for him--the ingredients are all lined up, ready for use. I do this for him too--he comes in and makes his "magic" and I ohh and ahh.

Could you do something like this for BIL?

Make the pots, have them boiled and hot and ready. Have an area prepped and waiting with the butter and milk and whatever. Even say this is the treatment all the "real" chefs get. I suppose the max wait time is 20minutes, especially if you could get some heads up about 20 minutes before they arrive to have the pots ready at the same time.

Lara

I would make the mashed potatoes and simply tell them that you were concerned about having enough so you made extra to go with theirs.

And I wouldn't hold the meal. Eat at the time you said. If they arrive five minutes before and have to make the potatoes tell them they are welcome to fix a plate to take in the kitchen while they're preparing them.

Arriving barely on time with food that still needs to be prepared, especially from scratch, is the the epitome of bad manners.

I'd call him. "Dude, we've got to talk about the potatoes. We need everything ready at X, so are you going to come ove an hour earlier to make them here, or are you going to bring them pre made? You can keep them warm in a crockpot if you want, but dinner is going to be served at x with or without the potatoes."

OR, you could offer to streamline the process by peeling and cooking to his specifications and let him mash and season.

As for lumps. Um, the lumps ARE potatoes. I don't make lumpy mashed potatoes, but it doesn't creep me out to eat them provided the potatoes are thoroughly cooked. In fact, I would CHOOSE lumpy mashed potatoes over starchy, over whipped mashed potatoes any day. Now, that is gluey and gross.

Edited by KungFuPanda

I'd call him. "Dude, we've got to talk about the potatoes. We need everything ready at X, so are you going to come ove an hour earlier to make them here, or are you going to bring them pre made? You can keep them warm in a crockpot if you want, but dinner is going to be served at x with or without the potatoes."

OR, you could offer to streamline the process by peeling and cooking to his specifications and let him mash and season.

As for lumps. Um, the lumps ARE potatoes. I don't make lumpy mashed potatoes, but it doesn't creep me out to eat them provided the potatoes are thoroughly cooked. In fact, I would CHOOSE lumpy mashed potatoes over starchy, over whipped mashed potatoes any day. Now, that is gluey and gross.

I was just going to say that mashed potatoes do just FINE in a crockpot! There is no reason whatsoever to make them at the host's house. Craziness! :)

A whole thread about mashed potatoes. I'm gaining weight just reading this.

The "this is the way that we always do it, you can't change things!" is why I'd rather stay home and lock the doors on holidays. My mom looked hurt that I was drinking water instead of tea the other night at a family dinner because we *always* drink tea at family dinners. :willy_nilly:

I would not be Helt Hostage to the Mashed Potatoe Pariahs.

I would go ahead and make them, and if they miraculously bring them already prepared, then there's leftovers. Or, shepherd's pie!

Really, the potatoes are too important to farm out. (why are they on the list, anyway? They shouldn't be an option for someone else to do)

I see my husband's extended family will be at your house for Thanksgiving.

Excellent. Thank you. :001_smile:

My reply would be something like: if you want to bring the potatoes, will you please be prepared and on time this year? Otherwise, I will be happy to make them.

But, then, I run out of nice fairly quickly (like, the second time) when people turn up for big family things hours late.

Send them this make-ahead recipe from Ree...maybe they'll get the hint!

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/11/delicious_creamy_mashed_potatoes/

Thanks for the recipe!

I personally would make the potatoes and if he shows up on time put them away for later. If not then heat them up and have dinner on time.

At my house we always start dinner on time.