Menu

Pig Latin

Goose Latin goes MUCH faster, and I can speak at a normal rate with it. My ex never got good at speaking it, but he could easily follow what I had to say. Using short words helps, and getting the listener on topic helps too. Also, sounding a little more "highly colored" helps, too. That is, push your voice a little to overstate the emotion of the material.

To do it, you put a long I and a B before the first vowel sound of each syllable, thus "today" is

TIE-boo DIE-bay

The accent in on the TIE and DIE

Try: I don't care what you do.

Eye-bye die-bont (rhymes with won't) Ky-bear Why-but yie-boo dye-boo.

Try it! Eye-bits Gry-bate!

Goose Latin goes MUCH faster, and I can speak at a normal rate with it. My ex never got good at speaking it, but he could easily follow what I had to say. Using short words helps, and getting the listener on topic helps too. Also, sounding a little more "highly colored" helps, too. That is, push your voice a little to overstate the emotion of the material.

To do it, you put a long I and a B before the first vowel sound of each syllable, thus "today" is

TIE-boo DIE-bay

Ouch. Clearly I needed to have had less wine before reading your post. My brain hurts now! :001_huh::lol::lol:

And OP, my dh often speaks to me in Pig Latin. :rolleyes: It was so much easier when they were uneducated and didn't know how to spell.... Just *what* was I thinking doing this school at home stuff? :tongue_smilie:

Our kids speak it better than us!

Our daughter also could spell fairly long words at a young age, so we were forced to use phrases like "frozen substance from a bovine."

She's caught on to those, too, now.

We can speak in military acronyms and no one but military members and prior military members will understand us! But, that's not so useful for everyday conversation.

The other day our daughter was not around and I spelled a CVC word...my husband looked at me like I was crazy, our son has been spelling CVC words for about a while now but that fact slipped my mind. I said it really fast and our son didn't notice, but it was a word he could spell if he had noticed.

Edited by ElizabethB

TIE-boo DIE-bay

Yi-bep, wi-be spi-beak thi-bis, ti-boo, bi-but, wi-be ci-ball ib-it "Di-boub-ible Di-butch". :D And I love it. We speak it very, very fast!!

Pig Latin doesn't work here because dh doesn't get it. We started by spelling things, then moved to using ridiculously complicated and indirect language. But the problem is that now oldest dc is 8, by the time I get it complex enough that he can't understand, dh doesn't either (he's a geek type; language isn't his strongest point).

Maybe you all can help end a dispute in my house.

I think that the word this would be pronounced is-thay while my kids say it should be his-tay.

Who's right?

TH is a digraph - two consonants written together that represent a single sound. Ergo, since Pig Latin is spoken, you are correct.

My kids speak Pig Latin so fast that when they were younger, people in stores always asked them if they were speaking Chinese. Give the people credit -- at least they recognized Pig Latin as a language! I'd wager they had never heard anyone speak Chinese, though.

Edited by RoughCollie

I think that the word this would be pronounced is-thay while my kids say it should be his-tay.

Who's right?

TH is a digraph - two consonants written together that represent a single sound. Ergo, since Pig Latin is spoken, you are correct.

My kids speak Pig Latin so fast that when they were younger, people in stores always asked them if they were speaking Chinese. Give the people credit -- at least they recognized Pig Latin as a language! I'd wager they had never heard anyone speak Chinese, though.

The way I learned it is that you start your pig latin word with the first vowel of the normal English word. So even if a word has two or three consonant sounds before the vowel, they will all be moved to the end of the word.

eak-spay speak

it-splay split

and is-thay this

Who's right?

According to the rules I learned, your kids are correct. I was taught that you move the first letter to the back of the word and add a long A.

Goose Latin goes MUCH faster,

QUOTE]

:iagree:A friend taught this to our "gang" in highschool. We spoke it all the time. Funny story. My then boyfriend, now husband was over one day and was about to say something inappropriate to me in Ob Talk as we called it. ( We used an O in stead of an I) He asked me instead if my mother knew Ob Talk. Before I could reply and say No..........she replied him in Ob Talk and said yes I do!

My parents always spoke IB Talk in front of us kids and I never figured out that our OB Talk was the same thing, different vowel.

We still laugh about that one almost 40 years later. And yes, we still speak OB talk. Our kids can pretty much understand it, but never learned it. Now that some of them have kiddoes of their own, they really wish they had paid more attention and learned it.

Actually I have another funny story about us talking it at Old Faithful, but I have gone on long enough.

Dh likes to just use big vocabulary words instead. So in front of the kids when they were younger: "Do you think it's time to adjourn to the exterior of the dwelling and frolic?" or "Might the children partake of sweetened confections after their dinner?" It doesn't work as well anymore now that they're seven. :lol:

On a totally different note, I always wanted to learn that other made up language, the one with all the atagoo atagai stuff in it. Anyone know that one?

Not fair Katie! Do tell! :bigear:

We were visiting Yellowstone and sitting at Old Faithful waiting for it to go off. All around us were people of all nationalities and lots of different languages being spoken. I don't recall why, but DH and I were discussing something in ObTalk while we were sitting there. Probably something like, "Should we take the kids for Ice Cream afterwards?" which we would not have wanted the kids to hear.

When the fountain was done, we all headed inside to use the facilities before getting back into the car. Whoever got done first was sitting around waiting for the rest of us. ( We had DH's brother and sister along with us, and I don't actually recall who heard the comment.)

A couple was commenting on all the foreign languages being spoken and the other one said, yes, I heard all that, but did you hear the couple saying things like, Aw Bee, Daw Bee..I wonder what language that was?

It was us and it was Ob Talk. We love to speak it on purpose now when we are at parades or waiting for fireworks to go off, just to get reactions.

I always thought that you break it up at the first vowel....putting the letters before the vowel at the back.

Well, I didn't say I was right, lol... Just according to how I was taught pig Latin. It was very simple ...first letter to the back and add a long A. I learned it while living in Georgia in the late 70's ...if that matters :)

We were visiting Yellowstone and sitting at Old Faithful waiting for it to go off. All around us were people of all nationalities and lots of different languages being spoken. I don't recall why, but DH and I were discussing something in ObTalk while we were sitting there. Probably something like, "Should we take the kids for Ice Cream afterwards?" which we would not have wanted the kids to hear.

When the fountain was done, we all headed inside to use the facilities before getting back into the car. Whoever got done first was sitting around waiting for the rest of us. ( We had DH's brother and sister along with us, and I don't actually recall who heard the comment.)

A couple was commenting on all the foreign languages being spoken and the other one said, yes, I heard all that, but did you hear the couple saying things like, Aw Bee, Daw Bee..I wonder what language that was?

It was us and it was Ob Talk. We love to speak it on purpose now when we are at parades or waiting for fireworks to go off, just to get reactions.

Hilarious! Thanks for satisfying my curiosity!