Menu

Poll: On returning unused silverware to the drawer

A piece of unused silverware that has been set on the table....  

1. 1. A piece of unused silverware that has been set on the table....

• goes back in the drawer
    • gets washed - if it comes out of the drawer, it must be washed
    • other

Only what would be used. We're fancy like that. :D

LOL.

Usually when we have company, it is just family or close friends and we eat buffet style. Grab your plate, silverware, food and head to a table.

But I pretty much wash it all because there is no real way to know if it was used or not.

we set the table with knives and forks at each place setting (for dinner - breakfast and lunch are more "fend for yourself" WRT utensils). Sometimes a knife isn't used. Maybe we had pizza (so I want a knife, but the kids wouldn't use one), or stirfry (so DH and I used knives for pushing, but the kids didn't), etc. If the utensil looks clean, it goes back in the drawer.

I say gets washed, because I figure it has been handled by the kids and I really don't want that going back in the drawer.

When we sit to eat, I will sometimes bring an extra fork/spoon and put it on the table. That way if something happens to one, we have a replacement. If I notice they haven't been touched, I would probablly put those back.

Back in the drawer. If we had a dishwasher, I'd probably stick it in with everything else. Somebody once told me (I'm racking my brains trying to remember who--my grandmother? friend's mom??? can't remember!) that this silverware was called "Hallelujah Silverware," as in, "Hallelujah, I don't have to wash it!" :D

What if you had guests over for dinner? Do you still only set out utensils you need, or do you put out a complete place setting???

Define "complete place setting."

Even with company, you still only set out the pieces you'll be using (of course, if you're like me and love putting as much stuff on the table as possible, you'll make sure you have enough food to use everything, lol).

we set the table with knives and forks at each place setting (for dinner - breakfast and lunch are more "fend for yourself" WRT utensils). Sometimes a knife isn't used. Maybe we had pizza (so I want a knife, but the kids wouldn't use one), or stirfry (so DH and I used knives for pushing, but the kids didn't), etc. If the utensil looks clean, it goes back in the drawer.

:iagree:

I know tonight, I put back a couple spoons and a couple knives. I put everything from the kids' place settings in the dishwasher.

DD sets the table and she puts out napkins, forks, knives, and spoons. If *I* were "setting the table", I would just hand everyone a fork.:D

Definitely in the dishwasher. This is quite a bone of contention between DH and I. He's very practical and just likes to throw anything unused back in the drawer. That feels dirty to me. I never feel completely sure that nothing yucky has touched it (eg someone sneezing, spitting whilst talking, even just touching it with dirty hands). I'm probably just neurotic though. Anyway, in our house it's usually a matter of who gets to the unused cutlery first, DH or I, and occasionally a tussle will ensue. We have such fun at our house :lol:.

Cassy

I say gets washed, because I figure it has been handled by the kids and I really don't want that going back in the drawer.

When we sit to eat, I will sometimes bring an extra fork/spoon and put it on the table. That way if something happens to one, we have a replacement. If I notice they haven't been touched, I would probablly put those back.

:iagree:

Define "complete place setting."

Even with company, you still only set out the pieces you'll be using (of course, if you're like me and love putting as much stuff on the table as possible, you'll make sure you have enough food to use everything, lol).

I think of a knife, fork, and spoon as a minimum for a complete place setting.

Definitely in the dishwasher. This is quite a bone of contention between DH and I. He's very practical and just likes to throw anything unused back in the drawer. That feels dirty to me. I never feel completely sure that nothing yucky has touched it (eg someone sneezing, spitting whilst talking, even just touching it with dirty hands). I'm probably just neurotic though. Anyway, in our house it's usually a matter of who gets to the unused cutlery first, DH or I, and occasionally a tussle will ensue. We have such fun at our house :lol:.

Cassy

I chuck it back in the drawer (my ds is older - I probably would not have done this when he was little), but I have a friend who insists that if it comes out of the drawer it MUST be washed.

We just take what we need....but then again, I don't even have a kitchen or dining room table so there's no table to set anyway. :glare:

If I did have a nice house (and a table) and could invite company over...I would wash any and all silverware that was set out. You never know if someone drooled on it. :D

ETA: Oh shoot! I just missed the perfect opportunity to insert the drooling smilie. Can't edit it now!

Wow. Risky, risky behavior. ;) My little dd licks things so clean (not plates...but silverware or cake beaters, etc) and then says, "There. It's all clean mom. You don't even have to wash it." :lol:

I do, of course.

Hmmmm......note to self: remember this if I am ever invited to eat at little dd's house in the future....I better bring my own fork. :D

Edited by ~AprilMay~

Well... I'd put it back, but on a practical level, that requires more sorting, so unless there were lots, I probably would just toss it in with everything else and wash it.

Yup, that's what I do. It's easier to not have to scrutinize every piece on the table. Now, if I set a place for someone who didn't turn up, I'd probably just put everything back...

I don't see how it uses any extra water/energy to throw it in the dishwasher with the other silverware, so I usually do that.

Now, if the dishwasher is empty (because all the dishes are clean and put away) and I cut myself a piece of bread, I am likely to just wipe the crumbs off and put the knife back in the drawer.

I don't see how it uses any extra water/energy to throw it in the dishwasher with the other silverware, so I usually do that.

Now, if the dishwasher is empty (because all the dishes are clean and put away) and I cut myself a piece of bread, I am likely to just wipe the crumbs off and put the knife back in the drawer.

:eek: Egads!!!

JK! :lol: