Menu

Book A Week in 2011 - week forty two

Good morning Dolls! Today is the start of week 42 in our quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks. Welcome back to our regulars and to all who are following our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 books blog to link to your reviews. The link is in my signature.

52 Books Blog - Old New York. Discovered a number of stand alone and series mysteries set in old New York - 1800's and early 1900's. More books to add to our wishlists. :)

What are you reading this week?

Link to week 41

I had a hard time settling into a book this past week. Guess Iain Pears wore me out. I read The Botticelli Affair by Traci L. Slatton - a request to review book. The dialogue was laced with a million exclamation marks and the story read like a b movie. Paranormal vampire book with a lot of art history which made it interesting. But the writing was just too cheesy. Didn't get why all the amazon reviews were saying this was the best vampire book of the year. Me thinks they haven't read a whole lot of them.

Reading two books on writing craft and working my way through exercises: Holly Lisle's Creating a Character Clinic and K.M. Weiland's Outlining Your Novel. Both are excellent. I'm more of a pantster, off the cuff writer and Weiland's book is making a lot of sense to me and selling me on the aspects of outlining. I also started The Weird Sisters this morning.

Currently, I'm working on Judgment of Tears: Anno Dracula 1959 (originally titled "Dracula Cha Cha Cha" but renamed "Judgment of Tears" for the US market; I think I like "Dracula Cha Cha Cha" better :lol:).

From wikipedia:

"In 1959, several of the world's notable vampires gather in Rome for the wedding of Count Dracula. Nefarious schemes are afoot and being investigated by British Intelligence, the Diogenes Club, and several others, including a British spy on the trail of a sinister madman with a white cat."

If you like playing 'spot the reference', this is a great book for that. There are a lot of characters in the story who are based on real-life and fictional people. Some retain their original names, while others are cleverly referred to by similar names (because of copyright issues). For example, in this book there is vampire Hamish (Scottish version of the name "James") Bond, who works for British Intelligence, drives an Aston Martin, and has a way with the ladies. Check the wikipedia link I gave to see the list of characters/people in the book.

So far, I'm enjoying it. It's kind of a funny mix of humor & horror.

Books read as of July 2011:

32. The Reluctant Entertainer

33. A Curable Romantic

34. A Reliable Wife

35. Living the Simple Life

36. The Music of Chance

37. The Tower, the Zoo, and the Tortoise

38. Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui

39. The Book of Jhereg

40. The Lost Symbol

41. Storm Front

42. The Clutter Cure

43. Simplicity Parenting

44. Madame Tussaud

45. The Map of Time

46. The Somnambulist

47. The Island of Lost Maps

48. The Adventurer's Handbook

49. Garden Spells

50. Dracula The Un-Dead

51. The Gold Bug

52. The Rule of Four

53. Ilustrado

54. The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

55. Boneshaker

Stacia's Challenge/2011 Goodreads

Edited by Stacia

I had a hard time settling into a book this past week.

Lately I've been having a lot of trouble with this, too.

(ETA: I'm not sure why that frowny face ended up in my subject line. It really doesn't make me that unhappy.)

I finished Whose Body? and enjoyed it immensely. I must read more of these.

I'm home from church as my guys are retrieving an elk they shot in the mountains last night, so I started Grisham's The Last Juror this morning. I forgot how much I like Grisham, even if he's not the best substitute for church.:tongue_smilie:

I'm in the middle of The Pleasures of Reading in an Age of Distraction based on LadyDusk's recommendation. Great book so far. Thanks for the recommendation.

And I'm also still reading:

Great Expectations (read aloud with my girls)

History of the Ancient World

The Praying Life

Edited by Luann in ID

Finished Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and really enjoyed it (though it takes a while to get into it and figure out what's going on). I just might read more Le Carre. Now I'm reading Lisa See's Snowflower and the Secret Fan from my pile of library-book-sale books. It is definitely intriguing me--I spent the last half hour googling images of Chinese foot binding.

2011 Reading List

41. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy-John LeCarre

40. Alice in Wonderland-Lewis Carroll

39. Seven Daughters and Seven Sons-Barbara Cohen

38. Augustine Came to Kent-Barbara Willard

37. TrudyĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Promise-Marcia Preston

36. All Together In One Place-Jane Kirkpatrick

35. The Invisible Wall-Harry Bernstein

34. A Red Herring Without Mustard-Alan Bradley

33. At the Sign of the Sugared Plum-Mary Hooper

32. The Weed That Strings the HangmanĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Bag-Alan Bradley

31. Do Hard Things-Alex and Brett Harris

30. Anna of Byzantium-Tracy Barrett

29. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie-Alan Bradley

28. Cutting for Stone-Abraham Verghese

27. Stay With Me-Sandra Rodriguez Barron

26. Radical Homemakers-Shannon Hayes

25. Heaven is for Real-Todd Burpo

24. Under the Tuscan Sun-Frances Mayes

23. Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother-Amy Chua

22. These Three Remain-Pamela Aidan

21. Chocolat-Joanne Harris

20. Where the Red Fern Grows-Wilson Rawls

19. Duty and Desire-Pamela Aidan

18. An Assembly Such As This-Pamela Aidan

17. Left Neglected-Lisa Genova

16. Classics in the Classroom-Michael Clay Thompson

15. True You-Janet Jackson

14. The SamuraiĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Garden-Gail Tsukiyama

13. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet-Jamie Ford

12. GodĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Middle Finger-Richard Grant

11. Kristin Lavransdatter-I: The Wreath-Sigrid Undset

10. The Housekeeper and the Professor-Yoko Ogawa

9. A Lucky Child-Thomas Buergenthal

8. Three Cups of Tea-Greg Mortenson

7. Run-Ann Patchett

6. The Red Queen-Philippa Gregory

5. Agnes Grey-Anne Bronte

4. The Daughter of Time-Josephine Tey

3. Mythology-Edith Hamilton

2. Phantom Toll Booth-Norton Juster

1. Her Fearful Symmetry-Audrey Niffenegger

This week I finished the last two Sarah Addison Allen books. :sad:

Sad only because there isn't currently another one to read.

#65 - The Girl Who Chased the Moon

#66 - The Peach Keeper

In last weeks thread, I said that characters don't repeat from book to book, that each book stands alone. That is true. However, I spoke too soon - two characters from her first book have a tiny role in her last book. I repeat - a tiny role. If reading the books out of publishing order, it definitely does not ruin the original story. I checked the author's webpage to see if a new book is listed - there isn't . . .

Currently reading, again as a direct result of this book thread, another new author for me:

#67 - Standing in the Rainbow, by Fannie Flagg. Just started it, but liking it so far.

Dating myself, I have wondered if the author was the same Fannie Flagg from the o-l-d television series, "Candid Camera". It is!

I read Naked Heat (The Castle spin-off book, and it's set in New York!) and Henrietta's War, which was delightful.

I'm in the middle of the new Thursday Next book, and I have to keep stopping every other page to read a clever bit aloud to my husband. Also, I've been reading Aftermath, in which the author visits old battlefields and talks about--the aftermath. Like, there are countless tons of unexploded ordnance from WWI in France, and mines all over Kuwait (and a lot of other places), and Vietnam has done a lot of rebuilding but there's this Agent Orange stuff all over the place. Cheerful it is not, but valuable reading.

I also started The Weird Sisters this morning.

This is on my wish list.

Finished Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and really enjoyed it (though it takes a while to get into it and figure out what's going on). I just might read more Le Carre.

I just bought this. :)

#67 - Standing in the Rainbow, by Fannie Flagg. Just started it, but liking it so far.

Dating myself, I have wondered if the author was the same Fannie Flagg from the o-l-d television series, "Candid Camera". It is!

I can't wait to start on some Sarah Addison Allens.

Oh, and as you may know, I love Fannie Flagg. Loved them all. My favorite of hers is Can't Wait to Get to Heaven.

Thanks to Negin, this week I am reading The Tower, the Zoo, and the Tortoise.

I just moved all my stuff over to Goodreads from LibraryThing, too; trying to decide if I like it. :)

Monica, I think it was Stacia you first mentioned it here. It's a very British book. Deals with some sad stuff, but in a very sweet way.

I'm on Library Thing and on Goodreads. I just need to visit both places more frequently. I end up here and on pinterest more than anywhere else. :tongue_smilie:

I'm a bit more than half-way through The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason.

I'm finding it a quick, good read so far...

I'm constantly undecided about this one. Sometimes I add it to my wish list and later I take it off again. :001_huh:

I enjoyed this one as well.

Nice to know. :)

I really am enjoying this book.

It's been school holidays for the past two weeks, and last week I celebrated with a "holiday read" - light stuff that goes well with a latte!

38. Blind Man’s Bluff – Faye Kellerman

I think the author's a good storyteller, but a poor writer. She describes the attire of every single character in great detail, even if they're only going to spend a few pages with the reader, and for main characters, every time they change clothes. She does the same for settings. It feels as if she is writing to a formula. It definitely gets annoying. Still, an entertaining holiday read.

I tried The Book of Ruth by Jane Hamilton, but stopped after a few chapters. A typical Oprah book, full of misery and drama. Not my type of book at all.

This week I am continuing with a non-fiction book of essays about veiling.. I have way to many books out of the library right now, and have to choose between reading more or giving up on a few of my prospective reads. What to do?

Edited by nd293

I tried The Book of Ruth by Jane Hamilton, but stopped after a few chapters. A typical Oprah book, full of misery and drama. Not my type of book at all.

:iagree:

I was never able to get into this one either. Some of Oprah's books were exactly as you describe them. Others, I thought, were good. I had to stop reading her recommendations for the longest while. But again, there have been a few that I've liked a lot:

She's Come Undone

Stones from the River

Middlesex

are 3 that come to mind.

I can't wait to start on some Sarah Addison Allens. Oh, and as you may know, I love Fannie Flagg. Loved them all. My favorite of hers is Can't Wait to Get to Heaven.

Negin - Based on all the good reviews of Flagg's books and on your specific recommendation for Can't Wait to Get to Heaven, it was my intention to check this one out as my intro to Fannie Flagg. However, when I saw her books on the library shelf - well - it was tempting to sign out all of them! :D In looking over the dust jackets, it appears that Can't Wait ... and Standing in the Rainbow have the same characters, so I started with the one published first. Can't Wait ... is next up and frankly, I *can't wait* to read it! :001_huh: I am thoroughly enjoying Standing in ...

I am a bit behind the mark but still plugging away. I am currently reading Perelandra and a parenting book. Have another book for my church small group almost complete as well. Might actually make it to 52 since my time will soon be a bit more free. I enjoy looking at all the other titles you all list!

I'm still reading Outlander (bed book), and Animal, Vegetable, Miracle (car book). Almost finished with a quick little book called Vita Brevis: A Letter to St. Augustine (bathroom book), and just started listening to States of Wonder (on my computer when I'm working around the house). I feel like I have too many books going on sometimes, but I can't help it, that's the only way I can do it!

I have also started Slaughterhouse Five (or The Children's Crusade) by Kurt Vonnegut. I'm reading it to honor Banned Books Week.

I'm a huge fan of Vonnegut's works, yet I have never read this one.

Amazon.com Review

"Kurt Vonnegut's absurdist classic Slaughterhouse-Five introduces us to Billy Pilgrim, a man who becomes unstuck in time after he is abducted by aliens from the planet Tralfamadore. In a plot-scrambling display of virtuosity, we follow Pilgrim simultaneously through all phases of his life, concentrating on his (and Vonnegut's) shattering experience as an American prisoner of war who witnesses the firebombing of Dresden.

Don't let the ease of reading fool you--Vonnegut's isn't a conventional, or simple, novel. He writes, "There are almost no characters in this story, and almost no dramatic confrontations, because most of the people in it are so sick, and so much the listless playthings of enormous forces. One of the main effects of war, after all, is that people are discouraged from being characters..." Slaughterhouse-Five (taken from the name of the building where the POWs were held) is not only Vonnegut's most powerful book, it is as important as any written since 1945. Like Catch- 22, it fashions the author's experiences in the Second World War into an eloquent and deeply funny plea against butchery in the service of authority. Slaughterhouse-Five boasts the same imagination, humanity, and gleeful appreciation of the absurd found in Vonnegut's other works, but the book's basis in rock-hard, tragic fact gives it a unique poignancy--and humor."

I read Swimming in the Daylight: An American Student, A Soviet-Jewish Dissident, and the Gift of Hope by Lisa C. Paul, which was extremely interesting, and moving.

I also read El Guero by Elizabeth Borton de Trevino, and Thank Heaven Fasting by E.M. Delafield, which was very good, but rather depressing. Right now I'm reading Past Imperfect by Julian Fellowes. I can't decide whether I like it or not yet. I like the premise and the characters but there is so much skipping around between the past and the present that it's confusing at times. I'll persevere a while longer and see if it gets better.

when I saw her books on the library shelf - well - it was tempting to sign out all of them! :D In looking over the dust jackets, it appears that Can't Wait ... and Standing in the Rainbow have the same characters, so I started with the one published first.

Wise move. :D

I'm still reading Outlander (bed book), and Animal, Vegetable, Miracle (car book). Almost finished with a quick little book called Vita Brevis: A Letter to St. Augustine (bathroom book), and just started listening to States of Wonder (on my computer when I'm working around the house). I feel like I have too many books going on sometimes, but I can't help it, that's the only way I can do it!

I love the way you list them - bed, car, etc. :lol:

Stacia, never read Vonnegut, but dh has mentioned him to me at times.

In current reads --- I just finished Leap of Faith by Queen Noor. I'll get a review posted on that at some point this week, but I really found it to be interesting reading.

Nice to know that you also enjoyed Poisonwood Bible.

Looking forward to reading your review of the Queen Noor book. When I was about 9 while skiing in Iran, I saw King Hussein from up close. This was in the late '70s. Think it was around the time he married Queen Noor. I think ...

One of my all time favorites.

Nice to know. Seems like so many like it. Again, I'm just loving it.

Some of Oprah's books were exactly as you describe them. Others, I thought, were good. I had to stop reading her recommendations for the longest while. But again, there have been a few that I've liked a lot:

She's Come Undone

Stones from the River

Middlesex

are 3 that come to mind.

Middlesex is on my To Read list for next year. I'll look at the others you recommend.

I have also requested one of Fannie Flagg's books - can't remember which one. I chose the one with the most people on the waiting list, as I'm so behind in my reading.

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks came in today, but I think I will wait until next week to start it.

I read/finished:

26. Chicken with Plums - written by the author of Persepolis, a graphic tragedy about her uncle's life and suicide - not as deep or shocking as Persepolis, but still a great read

27. The Impostor's Daughter - a graphic memoir about a magazine writer whose father faked degrees, scammed people out of thousands of dollars, etc.

28. The Math Instinct - This was a great book mostly about the type of math abilities that are innate in certain animals, including humans, and also math found in nature - like in how plants grow. After all that there were a few chapters on math abilities for most people - real life math vs. school math, math and how it is processed in the brain (just touched on).

Stacia, never read Vonnegut, but dh has mentioned him to me at times.

Oh, you need to read his work someday, Negin! I think he is one of the great writers of the 20th century (& the 21st century too). His writing flows so easily & seems so simple to read, yet is so profound. He's funny, yet you will feel your heart hurting by the truths he tells. Vonnegut is satire & social commentary of the highest order, imo.

Poisonwood Bible.

I guess I have to be the dissenter here. ;):lol: I read this book a long time ago (when it was newly released) & I remember not liking it very much. I don't remember many details about it, but it was not my style of book, nor did I like the characters from what I remember. Just very... meh (at best).

I read/finished:28. The Math Instinct - This was a great book mostly about the type of math abilities that are innate in certain animals, including humans, and also math found in nature - like in how plants grow. After all that there were a few chapters on math abilities for most people - real life math vs. school math, math and how it is processed in the brain (just touched on).

Bear Grylls, Mud, Sweat and Tears

We love this guy so I thought it would be fun, and it is.

Oh, both of those look good! (We love Bear here too. :D)

ETA: P.S. Negin, I'm :lol: over your Nutella avatar. Are you having a 'need Nutella' kind of week? If so, :grouphug: and :001_smile:.

Edited by Stacia

I'm pretty sure the Poisonwood Bible was written about dh's family. :tongue_smilie:

I finished The Two Towers. I need something light to read right now, so I looked over the books collecting dust on my shelves and selected The Five Love Languages. It was given to me by a dear friend SEVEN YEARS ago, and I have yet to crack its cover. :blush: I'm not usually one to read this sort of book; but so far, so good.

Do self-help books always interrupt the text with little snippets-- little "this is the main idea" excerpts-- in extra large print? Do they assume we can't figure out the gist of this material ourselves? It's hardly rocket-science, as these books tend to repeat themselves ad nauseum. Okay. Rant over. :glare:

Do self-help books always interrupt the text with little snippets-- little "this is the main idea" excerpts-- in extra large print? Do they assume we can't figure out the gist of this material ourselves? It's hardly rocket-science, as these books tend to repeat themselves ad nauseum. Okay. Rant over. :glare:

:lol:

Oh boy, you hit the nail on the head. I *SO* agree w/ what you're saying about 'self help' books. I find most of them poorly written & highly irritating! I'll rant alongside you.... :D

Middlesex is on my To Read list for next year. I'll look at the others you recommend.

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks came in today, but I think I will wait until next week to start it.

The other Oprah books that I liked - it's been years since I read them. I read them back when she recommended them - in '96 or '97. I wouldn't mind re-reading them at some point.

I gave up on Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. I might try it again in a few months.

Oh, you need to read his work someday, Negin!

Stacia, will add Vonnegut to my wish list. Any specific recommendations?

I guess I have to be the dissenter here. I read this book a long time ago (when it was newly released) & I remember not liking it very much. I don't remember many details about it, but it was not my style of book, nor did I like the characters from what I remember. Just very... meh (at best).

I did not like The Poison Wood Bible.

Good to know. :D

Books are so subjective. I feel that I may be the only one that I know of who didn't care for Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.

And Stacia, remember how we were one of the few who didn't care much for The Happiness Project?

ETA: P.S. Negin, I'm :lol: over your Nutella avatar. Are you having a 'need Nutella' kind of week? If so, :grouphug:

:lol: I love Nutella anytime. My week's going fine, but I just love Nutella at. all. times.

I'm pretty sure the Poisonwood Bible was written about dh's family.

Wow. :eek:

The Five Love Languages. It was given to me by a dear friend SEVEN YEARS ago, and I have yet to crack its cover.

Although I haven't read this one, I do like the one for children a lot. I might read the one for teens soon. I'm just not into the self-help mode these days. Parenting books make me feel really bad. These days. They were fine to read before kids. ;)

Do self-help books always interrupt the text with little snippets-- little "this is the main idea" excerpts-- in extra large print? Do they assume we can't figure out the gist of this material ourselves? It's hardly rocket-science, as these books tend to repeat themselves ad nauseum. Okay. Rant over.

Not necessarily, but you are making me smile. :D

I find most of them poorly written & highly irritating! I'll rant alongside you....

:lol: I was waiting for you to rant also, Stacia.

I read The Leftovers but didn't care for it much. I don't think I was the intended audience for the book, and the satire did nothing for me. I'm still working on WHen Listening Comes Alive. I alo read a novel my dd was reading, but decided not to count it even though it makes the cut as I have more than I need so far.

Well, as part of the unofficial reading list, I read a Sarah Addison Allen book that I got from the library yesterday, Garden Spells. It was ... good. I have to admit that I tend to avoid modern books because of several things found in this book, but I continued reading and basically devoured the book. A good mind candy filler book, and an author I'll try some more from, but in small doses.

My 2011 Reviews:

1. Her Daughter's Dream - Francine Rivers

2. Island of the World - Michael O'Brien (AMAZING!)

3. Mennonite in a Little Black Dress - Rhoda Janzen

4. Cinderella Ate My Daughter - Peggy Orenstein

5. Devil's Cub - Georgette Heyer

6. Keeping a Nature Journal - Clare Walker Leslie and Charles E Roth.

7. Politically Incorrect Guide to Western Civilization (Audio Book) - Anthony Esolen

8. Excellent Women - Barbara Pym

9. The Abyssinian - Jean-Christophe Rufin

10. In the Company of Others - Jan Karon

11. One Thousand Gifts - Ann Voskamp

12. Regency Buck - Georgette Heyer

13. Bath Tangle - Georgette Heyer

14. The Convenient Marriage - Georgette Heyer

15. The Organized Heart - Staci Eastin

16. Your Home: A Place of Grace - Susan Hunt

17. Christian Encounters: Jane Austen - Peter Leithart

18. Bambi: A Life in the Woods - Victor Salten

19. Aunt Jane's Hero - Elizabeth Prentiss

20. The Magician's Nephew (Audio Book) - C.S. Lewis

21. The Horse and His Boy (Audio Book) - C.S. Lewis

22. Beauty for Truth's Sake - Stratford Caldecott

23. A Mother's Rule of Life - Holly Pierlot

24. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen

25. Persuasion - Jane Austen

26. Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen

27. Real Love for Real Life - Andi Ashworth

28. Caring for Words in a Culture of Lies - Marilyn Chandler McEntyre

29. The Pleasures of Reading in an Age of Distraction - Alan Jacobs

30. The Help - Kathryn Stockett

31. The Waiting Sands - Susan Howatch

32. Prince Caspian (Audio Book) - C.S. Lewis

33. Fellowship of the Ring - J.R.R. Tolkien (review forthcoming)

34. Garden Spells - Sarah Addison Allen

I did not like The Poison Wood Bible.

Glad I'm not alone in my assessment. :001_smile:

Stacia, will add Vonnegut to my wish list. Any specific recommendations?.

Well, I think Slaughterhouse Five is his most famous book. So perhaps that is a good place to start. I've enjoyed any of his books that I have read, including Breakfast of Champions, Cat's Cradle, Timequake, & Deadeye Dick. Still good, but not my faves were The Sirens of Titan & Galapagos.

And Stacia, remember how we were one of the few who didn't care much for The Happiness Project?

Yep. Maybe I'm just cranky. ;):lol:

I love Nutella anytime. My week's going fine, but I just love Nutella at. all. times.

Ok. Yes. Good plan. Nutella.all.the.time. (I think dh & ds are already on that plan....)

:lol: I was waiting for you to rant also, Stacia.

Still lol at this comment. Hey, The Happiness Project falls into the category of 'self-help' book, so maybe that's why I didn't really care for it. Can you imagine if the happiness author & the fung shui author co-authored a book?! <snort> I might have to slather on the Nutella before tacking a book like that! :D

I flew through a guilty pleasure this week: James Patterson's Double Cross.

Ronette, good to see you here. I'm keeping you in my thoughts. :grouphug:

I read a Sarah Addison Allen book that I got from the library yesterday, Garden Spells. It was ... good. I have to admit that I tend to avoid modern books because of several things found in this book, but I continued reading and basically devoured the book. A good mind candy filler book, and an author I'll try some more from, but in small doses.

:iagree: (though I love some modern fiction). I enjoyed Garden Spells & found it to be light, easy, mind-candy type reading. It was not, however, the type of book where I was running out to get all the sequels immediately. (To be fair, I almost never do that w/ any author. Ever.) I'll keep her books in mind for the future when I need another mental candy break.

I haven't posted in awhile..I have been so busy. But, I just finished 3 books by Sally Gunning. They were historical fiction set in New England during the Revolutionary War. They are called The Widow's War, Bound, and The Rebellion of Sarah Clarke. All 3 were wonderful...and thoroughly researched.

I am reading The Golden Goblet to the kids.

This week I am reading The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory

Faithe

I have also started Slaughterhouse Five (or The Children's Crusade) by Kurt Vonnegut. I'm reading it to honor Banned Books Week.

I'm a huge fan of Vonnegut's works, yet I have never read this one.

Amazon.com Review

"Kurt Vonnegut's absurdist classic Slaughterhouse-Five introduces us to Billy Pilgrim, a man who becomes unstuck in time after he is abducted by aliens from the planet Tralfamadore. In a plot-scrambling display of virtuosity, we follow Pilgrim simultaneously through all phases of his life, concentrating on his (and Vonnegut's) shattering experience as an American prisoner of war who witnesses the firebombing of Dresden.

Don't let the ease of reading fool you--Vonnegut's isn't a conventional, or simple, novel. He writes, "There are almost no characters in this story, and almost no dramatic confrontations, because most of the people in it are so sick, and so much the listless playthings of enormous forces. One of the main effects of war, after all, is that people are discouraged from being characters..." Slaughterhouse-Five (taken from the name of the building where the POWs were held) is not only Vonnegut's most powerful book, it is as important as any written since 1945. Like Catch- 22, it fashions the author's experiences in the Second World War into an eloquent and deeply funny plea against butchery in the service of authority. Slaughterhouse-Five boasts the same imagination, humanity, and gleeful appreciation of the absurd found in Vonnegut's other works, but the book's basis in rock-hard, tragic fact gives it a unique poignancy--and humor."

word2.jpgnews-graphics-2007-_448028a.jpg120407_vonnegutTombSlaughterhouse5.gif

I love Vonnegut. I am weird like that......

You know me too well, my friend!

:grouphug:

Julian Barnes just won this year's Man Booker prize for The Sense of an Ending.

This looks interesting. :)

I flew through a guilty pleasure this week: James Patterson's Double Cross.

I'm about 30% done with The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.

Haven't read Patterson in years.

Do you like the Henrietta Lacks book or is too early to ask? I think I must be the only one who hasn't cared for this book, although I may give it another go. We'll see.

Well, I think Slaughterhouse Five is his most famous book. So perhaps that is a good place to start.

Thanks. :)

BTW, am loving all the smiley dudes - the weird ones you posted. :lol:

Ok. Yes. Good plan. Nutella.all.the.time. (I think dh & ds are already on that plan....)

The other week, I made Decadent Nutella Waffles. They were sooo good. :D

Still lol at this comment. Hey, The Happiness Project falls into the category of 'self-help' book, so maybe that's why I didn't really care for it. Can you imagine if the happiness author & the fung shui author co-authored a book?! <snort> I might have to slather on the Nutella before tacking a book like that!

:smilielol5:

Oh my ... it's so bad that I think if I had to choose, I'd go with the Feng Shui one, although that's really not saying much at all. ;)

I will join the group that did not like "Poisonwood Bible." I didn't even finish it. I didn't finish Middlesex either but I am thinking that I would like to have another try at it. I see that Eugenides has a new book out called "The Marriage Plot."

I love it when everyone's free to say that they don't like a book. The Marriage Plot is on my wish list. I won't read it for a while - need a break from authors. :)

:iagree: (though I love some modern fiction). I enjoyed Garden Spells & found it to be light, easy, mind-candy type reading. It was not, however, the type of book where I was running out to get all the sequels immediately. (To be fair, I almost never do that w/ any author. Ever.) I'll keep her books in mind for the future when I need another mental candy break.

Thanks for putting into words what I was feeling. I started Garden Spells last night. I'm going to finish it as I can use some light reading right now.

Well, I think Slaughterhouse Five is his most famous book. So perhaps that is a good place to start. I've enjoyed any of his books that I have read, including Breakfast of Champions, Cat's Cradle, Timequake, & Deadeye Dick. Still good, but not my faves were The Sirens of Titan & Galapagos.

I tried reading The Sirens of Titan and did not care for it. If I remember correctly, I didn't finish it.

I didn't finish Middlesex either but I am thinking that I would like to have another try at it. I see that Eugenides has a new book out called "The Marriage Plot."

I think it's worth another try. :001_smile:

:smilielol5:

Oh my ... it's so bad that I think if I had to choose, I'd go with the Feng Shui one, although that's really not saying much at all. ;)

I love it when everyone's free to say that they don't like a book. The Marriage Plot is on my wish list. I won't read it for a while - need a break from authors. :)

I'd definitely go w/ the feng shui one! The happiness one stressed me out w/ all the list-making & such. However, the feng shui one made me giggle when reading it (probably not the intended effect....). I still chuckle when I think about how she talked about her own photo on the back of the book. That's still the only time I've ever seen something like that in a book. :lol:

And, I agree -- it is nice when people can give their real opinions about books. That's what makes this thread fun to read, imo.

Negin, why would you post about making nutella waffles and then not also post the recipe? That is cruel and inhumane.

Yes. We must have the recipe! :D

Negin, why would you post about making nutella waffles and then not also post the recipe? That is cruel and inhumane.

:smilielol5: Here goes. I really love making breakfast and usually go all out on a Sunday morning. I got this recipe from pinterest but I changed it, since their recipe was a bit too dry. I have a standard waffle recipe and I fiddled around with it until I came up with this.

DECADENT NUTELLA WAFFLES

Serves 4-6

3/4 cup melted butter or margarine

4 eggs (room temperature)

1 1/2 cups flour

3/4 tsp salt

2 tsp. baking powder

1 tbsp sugar

3/4 cup sour cream

3/4 cup milk

1/2 tbsp oil

1 tsp vanilla

4-5 heaping tablespoons Nutella

Bring eggs to room temperature and separate. Beat the whites until stiff like whipped cream.

Melt the butter and set aside.

Mix flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder in a separate bowl and set aside.

Mix sour cream, milk, vanilla, oil, and egg yolks

Mix in melted butter and Nutella and mix just until combined.

Do not over-mix.

Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Stir just until moistened. Do not worry about the small lumps in the batter. Do not beat the batter vigorously.

Gently fold in the beaten egg whites.

If you can, cover and chill overnight in a 8-cup glass bowl. The batter can be used right away, however.

Let the batter set for a few minutes before starting to cook the waffles, so it thickens just slightly and isn't as runny. The batter should be thick, yet easily pourable.

Use a vegetable oil and a basting brush or a paper towel and cover the surface of the waffle iron lightly. Preheat it.

Pour and drizzle batter into the waffle iron in a constantly moving stream Pour into the waffle iron and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s important to make sure that you time the cooking phase. Five minutes seems to be the optimum cooking time. If you remove the waffle too soon, you end up with something the looks like a waffle but tastes more like a pancake. If the waffle is darker or lighter than you like, adjust the baking time by a half-minute if your iron is the type that has no "darkness" control. If it does, adjust the control a half-notch but keep baking for 5 minutes.

decadent-nutella-waffles_551ee0f6a75164ae860ba19686955abe-thumb-245x245-6162.jpg

I'd definitely go w/ the feng shui one! The happiness one stressed me out w/ all the list-making & such. However, the feng shui one made me giggle when reading it (probably not the intended effect....). I still chuckle when I think about how she talked about her own photo on the back of the book. That's still the only time I've ever seen something like that in a book. :lol:

Yes, the happiness one is stressful. This morning as I was ordering a page-a-day calendar (which I love having on my desk), I saw this and laughed and thought of you. ;)

tn_workman-2012-calendar-catalog-000053.jpg

I don't remember the Feng Shui author's comment about the photo. Now I have to go and see what she said. :D The book is in our classroom ... I think :tongue_smilie:.