Menu

Our dogs got into the chicken pen today...

and well, you can guess what happened. We found 5 dead hens. We still have 5 hens that are alive and our rooster is alive. 3 of the 6 that are alive are injured. It was almost 10 when we got home and about 11 by the time we found them all, so no vet is open. We just cleaned the wounds and will hope and pray they make it. One hen has quite a bit of the skin pulled loose around her wing, one hen has a couple of shallow looking puncture marks, and our rooster has 2 deeper puncture marks. The rooster is walking around, but the two injured hens are just lying there. Is there any hope for them? We will humanely kill them if there is no hope.

Thankfully a few were able to get away into the coop, and the dogs can't fit through the door. The dogs were clever enough to open the pen door.

My poor family has had so much loss this past year. My oldest dd is such an animal lover, and she is so very sad. Can you say a prayer for us?

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. As you can imagine we got little sleep. My husband I kept going out to check on them. My poor girls had a really hard resting, especially my oldest.

This morning the hen that appeared to be the least injured was barely breathing and really struggling. At first I thought she was dead, but when I picked her up, she started trying to kick. I had to break her neck. I NEVER thought I could/would do something like that, but she was just so pitiful. :crying: She must have had internal injuries as well.

So we have two more that are injured, but the wounds still look okay this morning. I will go get that medicine that you suggested, Carol. Thank you!!

Right now, we all hate our dogs. :(

The good news is that we had two beautiful eggs this morning. I guess two of the girls feel good.

I'd keep the wounded chix away from the well ones.

You may have heard the stories (thankfully not experienced it myself) of what happens when a chicken sees a wound on another chicken. (The others will sometimes peck the wounded chicken to death).

eta: It was brave and kind of you to put the severely wounded chicken out of its suffering. Good on you for doing that...

I've been there and I'm sorry! :grouphug:

We've raised over a hundred chickens and during the years the neighbors dogs have dug under our pens and killed many. The neighbors and I don't speak much anymore. I had enough, caught one in the act and sent it off to the pound where they received a summons to court on a dangerous dog charge. The dog eventually got hit on the road because it 'got out' again (and they never train their dogs so they run all over until they are good and ready to come home). The poor dog. These people are not responsible pet owners at all.

We finally sold the last 10 because I didn't want to come home and find a slaughter again.

If it was my own dogs doing it. There would be some retraining involving some remote training collars. They wouldn't be allowed to be free when I wasn't home either.

:grouphug: I know this is hard! I hope your other chickens make it; they are pretty resilient.

We went to Tractor Supply to get the med, and when we came home the little hen with the torn wing was dead. We are down to 4 out of 11. Our rooster is the only one left that is injured, and I put the med on him. The wound doesn't look bad, but who knows if he will make it. My girls are so attached, well I am too, and we are all in tears. Everyone's favorite chicken is dead. We all really love our rooster too. This is horrible.

aaaaawwwwwww, I'm SO sorry Nakia. I think many people probably don't realize how SWEET and fun chickens are, and how attached we can get to them! I know we absolutely LOVE having our chickens. It's SO hard to lose one, let alone so many all at once! I also completely understand loving a rooster. We love a few of them at the moment, even though we SHOULD have all hens!

I'm really sorry for all of you. Take time to heal, then get some more. Make the modifications you need to keep the chickens safe from the dogs.

I'm not sure why, but the favorite chicken always seems to die or be killed. This happens too often!

Sorry!!!

We had to put the rooster down this morning. :crying: I know it's dumb to love a rooster, but well, we did. Anyway, we have 3 healthy hens left. Praying they stay that way.

Thanks for all the love and support.

That's not dumb at all-- we feel the same way about our hens. Heck, we feel that way about the dang turtle! We get very attached to our critters. I'll be sending good thoughts that your remaining girls stay strong. :grouphug: