Menu

PSAT test takers were chilling out ...

"I got several impassioned calls. And I understand that. It's a high-stakes test. I don't know that it will negatively affect anyone's score. But it was a distraction."

Ugh! It's a *very* high-stakes test. National Merit standing can affect not just scholarships but admissions, too. And not just scholarships through the NMS program, but merit aid from colleges too, to the tune of upwards of $80K or more over the four years of school in some cases. I would be *livid*.

I found that since so few kids in any given school become Finalists, in some cases it wasn't a test school officials were all that savvy about. If the officials or their kids hadn't been Finalists (or otherwise honored), they just think of it as "practice for the SAT", which is what it ends up being for the vast majority of kids who take it.

Murphy said the district asked College Board, the official testing organization for the PSAT, to allow students to retest but its request was denied because testing officials accepted the circumstances and began the test as scheduled.

Edited by askPauline

The link is not working for me....what happened?

The link worked for me, but it had a lot more info in it than the article I originally read. Maybe it was being updated at the time?

Times Record News

Icy testing leaves students, parents steamed

Cold coliseum causes some to exit PSAT early

• By Ann Work

• Posted October 13, 2011 at 12:10 a.m.

420111012213510001_t160.JPG Wichita Falls High School students take the PSAT on Wednesday in the Kay Yeager Coliseum on a thin floor that covers the ice. "They're competing against other kids in other areas that have an environment that's comfortable," said one angry mother who snapped this photo with her cellphone. "That's not fair."

Wichita Falls High School students who took the high-stakes PSAT on Wednesday were warned that it would be cold in the Kay Yeager Coliseum testing facility.

But one student said Wednesday that none of them expected to shiver their way through the three-hour test at desks in the hockey arena sitting atop the ice, which was covered by a lightweight floor of plastic and insulation.

It was so cold, he said, that — despite the hundreds of thousands of dollars in rewards to those who ace the PSAT — he and many of his friends said they gave up on the test midway through because they were so cold.

"I did the first two sections when I was warm still, and I felt I did OK," said the student, who preferred not to give his name. He said he dressed appropriately in jeans, a sweatshirt and tennis shoes. "Then it just got miserable. Every other section, I just gave up. I felt I just had to get in a ball and warm up."

The chairs, desks and floor were wet with condensation when the arena opened, he said.

"My hands got soaked. Even the test document was moist toward the end. It was annoying. I was just concentrating on getting warm."

Some girls wore flip-flops. "Their feet were purple," he said.

Some last-minute facility planning by high school Principal Kevin Shipley — a newcomer to the district this year — and Rider High School Principal Judy McDonald, poor judgment by a novice test planner who OK'd the venue thinking it would be adequate, and unfulfilled promises by MPEC management appear to be at the root of a testing day from hell.

The College Board PSAT is the one test that is given once a year and carries heady rewards for high achievers.

Earning the title of National Merit Scholar opens the door to thousands of dollars — perhaps hundreds of thousands of dollars — in college scholarships and one of the most distinguished titles in all of high school academia.

But it all hinges on how well a student performs on that one October day during his or her junior year when sitting for the test.

So when WFHS parent Stacie Curd learned from another parent Wednesday that their children were taking the test on ice, she thought she was kidding.

"Ice is not an environment suitable for test-taking ... I think it was the dumbest thing the school district could have done."

Another mother who had high hopes for her child's achievement on this test worried about her child, who suffers from Raynaud's condition. She feared that he would not only lose circulation in his hands and feet from the cold, but that his score would suffer.

"We thought we might have the chance for a scholarship. This may have totally screwed that up," she said.

Campuses, not the district office, are responsible for securing and setting up testing sites, according to Renae Murphy, public information officer.

Both principals signed a contract during the summer — on one of Shipley's first days with the district — to rent the MPEC's JS Bridwell Agriculture Center as Wednesday's PSAT testing site for Rider and WFHS. The preferred MPEC exhibit halls, which were rented last year, were already booked.

For the past four years, the district has rented an off-site location to comply with testing requirements.

In late September an MPEC employee contacted the testing coordinators at both schools to advise them that the un-air-conditioned Ag Center, with its poor lighting, may not be suitable for testing because the animals and hay may spur allergies or hay fever among students.

MPEC Executive Director Bob Sullivan said the schools waffled so long on choosing a testing date that by the time they contacted him to reserve rooms, their largest exhibit halls were booked for the Senior Expo. Typically, he books events three to four years in advance.

The MPEC employee suggested moving both schools' testing sites to the coliseum — on the covered-up ice — and both schools agreed.

Then, one week ago, the MPEC employee contacted both schools with more news: So many students were testing — 608 at both schools — that they wouldn't all fit in the coliseum. They made available one room in the MPEC Exhibit Hall (the spot where Rider students eventually tested) and said they could fit the smaller school — WFHS — on the coliseum floor.

The MPEC employee assured Michael Weaver, the WFHS testing coordinator, that the MPEC would lay down a floor to insulate the cold so "a comfortable temperature can be achieved," according to a WFISD news release.

However, it didn't happen that way, Shipley said.

"(Students) told me their seats were damp. They had to wipe them off. Students told me there was condensation on the floor so their feet got wet ... It was not climatized to the appropriate level for students to take the test."

The temperature in the coliseum on Wednesday was 64 degrees, Sullivan said, which feels colder and wetter because the facility was built without a dehumidification system.

No one has ever tested on the covered ice before, Sullivan said, although he has scheduled family shows and concerts on the ice.

He gave the schools a discounted price of $1,500 to use both facilities, compared with a typical price of $2,500, because of the arena's disadvantages.

College Board rules stipulate that rooms should be "properly heated or cooled," according to Kathleen Steinberg, College Board media representative.

Weaver visited the WFHS testing site before Wednesday's test and informed students that it would be cold — enough to take a jacket or wear warm clothing.

After receiving a text from her son about the cold conditions, one mother called PSAT authorities at 7:30 a.m. An hour later, she was told if the test had not yet started, to pull him out and reschedule for the Hirschi High School PSAT test date set for Saturday.

However, they warned, if the test had begun, no changes could be made.

By then it was too late.

She drove to the coliseum and peered into the arena, where the proctors were bundled in sweatshirts and jeans.

She met her son for lunch after the test. "I felt his hands. They were ice cubes," she said. He and his friends' faces were still cherry red from the cold.

"This was inappropriate. No one in their right mind would give a test on an ice cube," she said.

Shipley said there will be no more testing at the coliseum.

"I got several impassioned calls. And I understand that. It's a high-stakes test. I don't know that it will negatively affect anyone's score. But it was a distraction."

Murphy said the district asked College Board, the official testing organization for the PSAT, to allow students to retest but its request was denied because testing officials accepted the circumstances and began the test as scheduled.

Any parent wanting to contact National Merit Scholarship Corp.and petition a grievance should call 866-433-7728.

© 2011 Times Record News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Basic

UNbelievable.

And what jumped out at me was the mention of the boy with Raynaud's syndrome ... I know someone with Raynaud's, and it's hard to write -- or even hold a pencil -- when the fingers get chilled ... Ugh!

I have a feeling that the administrators' stupidity is going to cost them dearly.

I can't imagine being there to drop my child off and not insisting to immediately speak with the college boards. To me, the parents should have stopped the test from taking place there. But easier said than done.

In the article it does mention that a mother called the College Boards and was told to pull her son out if the test hadn't started and he could test elsewhere on Saturday. I think her next call should have been to the media and maybe the whole thing could have been stopped. How unfair to all those students.

In the article it does mention that a mother called the College Boards and was told to pull her son out if the test hadn't started and he could test elsewhere on Saturday. I think her next call should have been to the media and maybe the whole thing could have been stopped. How unfair to all those students.

I agree that, in hindsight, one can think of things they could have or should have done, but in the moment, most of us won't think of those things. Plus, I doubt media would have jumped on it quickly enough as so many people just don't understand the potential $$ involved with this test for some test takers. For the vast majority it's just an inexpensive practice SAT.

I really feel for those involved and wish collegeboard could be more understanding BUT, consider it from the "competitors." If someone has already taken one version of the test - no matter the conditions - it does give them an insight into the questions at least by type and many were probably fairly clear thinking through at least the first section or two (perhaps all if their adrenaline was flowing enough). Then they get a re-take. That wouldn't be fair to the others. It is a high stakes test and the fault here lies with the administrators who chose the site.

There are only 16,000 semi-finalist slots. It's competitive - not just "make a certain score and you're there."

I'd be incredibly furious, but it's a no-win situation at this point. If they allow these kids a re-take it affects others. If the kids hadn't taken the test, it would be different.

It is a real mess. My daughter would have come right out, I hope. I believe she does have Raynaud's. SHe wear gloves a lot and her hands do get very cold if the air is chilly (no where near freezing, more like in the 50's).

I do hope heads roll for this. THey don't have a cafeteria or a gymnasium. The test could be done by lunch and the people taking gym could have a health day someplace or a field day or learn the rules of the sport day. I don't understand the issue with not finding an appropriate place. WIchita Falls is not a rural school with no buildings. My kids have taken PSATs in four states/countries so far. Each time, they took it in a library, cafeteria, or multipurpose room. Sometimes, one group was taking it in the library and another groups was taking it in the cafeteria. (Something like that). There was never any busing of any kids anywhere for the test-only my kids and other homeschoolers were transported -to the school. The PSAT can be done exactly like the SAT and ACT and no one needs to be all in one gigantic room. It sounds like they need the gigantic rooms because they don't have enough qualified test proctors and associate supervisors. That shows even worse pre-planning. This is a high school and presumably the teachers had some sort of college degrees and could get certified if they tried.

Even if this school was in the same state and my child was taking the PSAT for the NMS, I'd want the Boards to allow these students to re-take the test. They might have a slight advantage, but as it stands it is so incredibly unfair to them.

Christina I agree - there is no excuse for the choice they made. None.

She called right away, but the College Board didn't call her back until after the test had started. So the advice didn't do her any good. I can't believe the proctors and administrators thought that this was an acceptable solution.

She called right away, but the College Board didn't call her back until after the test had started. So the advice didn't do her any good. I can't believe the proctors and administrators thought that this was an acceptable solution.

You're right - I missed that. Shame on those there who knew the Board's rules who did nothing to stop the test from being given under those conditions.

I wonder if the delay in the Board getting back to her is that they were calling the school administrators and getting the info from them. Administrators probably told them that they had no choice or some other ridiculous excuse. CB should have put a stop to it too. This wasn't just a cold classroom, this was extreme.

Wouldn't their classrooms have been empty on Saturday? They could have held it there and asked nearby schools for proctoring help if need be. So many different options. I hope a NMS wasn't put out of the running due to the testing conditions.

HeighHo you're right about it not being a level playing field. Many have never seen a test prep book let alone had the private coaching afforded the wealthy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teachin'Mine viewpost.gif

quote.gif

Since the College Board dictates the start time, they knew very well the test had already started!

What's the problem with using classrooms? I never heard of using gyms, bleachers, libraries, convention centers or ice rinks til I started reading these forums. Do they use ice rinks for NCLB testing? I kind of doubt it.

Since the College Board dictates the start time, they knew very well the test had already started!

What's the problem with using classrooms? I never heard of using gyms, bleachers, libraries, convention centers or ice rinks til I started reading these forums. Do they use ice rinks for NCLB testing? I kind of doubt it.

College board doesn't dictate the exact start time. That's variable based upon the location giving it. They dictate the day and the time frame (morning).

Even if this school was in the same state and my child was taking the PSAT for the NMS' date=' I'd want the Boards to allow these students to re-take the test. They might have a slight advantage, but as it stands it is so incredibly unfair to them.

[/quote']

If my student were involved I'd be pushing for the extenuating circumstances to qualify for the NMSQT scholarships without the PSAT option. I seriously think this would be their only option that might work at this point. They certainly would have a good argument for it.

College board doesn't dictate the exact start time. That's variable based upon the location giving it. They dictate the day and the time frame (morning).

That's true. But it's probably also true that after she called, the CB spoke with the school administrators and based on their info, decided to wait until the test started to notify the mom that she could pull him out. I'm sure they didn't want the mom creating waves at the school which undoubtedly would have happened if she was promptly called back and pulled her son out of testing. I think other students might well have followed his lead.

Creekland I didn't know there was an option to qualify for the NMS without the PSAT. I hope any involved there pursue this option.

I'm guessing we won't hear much more at least until the test results are in. I would think that another option the CB has is to allow those students to take the SAT at the next test date and allow those scores to be used for the NMS. I know it's not the same test, but we've found the scores to be fairly close.

Someone please correct me if I've misunderstood, but I was told that for the PSAT the schools are largely in charge of administering that test, but merely host the testing for the SAT/ACT. Our experience has been that the rules for the PSAT were not strictly enforced. My son's experiences with taking the SAT and ACT were far better. Perhaps this needs to be changed?

Someone please correct me if I've misunderstood, but I was told that for the PSAT the schools are largely in charge of administering that test, but merely host the testing for the SAT/ACT. Our experience has been that the rules for the PSAT were not strictly enforced. My son's experiences with taking the SAT and ACT were far better. Perhaps this needs to be changed?

The schools also administer the SAT.

That's true. But it's probably also true that after she called' date=' the CB spoke with the school administrators and based on their info, decided to wait until the test started to notify the mom that she could pull him out. I'm sure they didn't want the mom creating waves at the school which undoubtedly would have happened if she was promptly called back and pulled her son out of testing. I think other students might well have followed his lead.

Creekland I didn't know there was an option to qualify for the NMS without the PSAT. I hope any involved there pursue this option.

I'm guessing we won't hear much more at least until the test results are in. I would think that another option the CB has is to allow those students to take the SAT at the next test date and allow those scores to be used for the NMS. I know it's not the same test, but we've found the scores to be fairly close.[/quote']

From the brochure at http://www.nationalmerit.org/student_guide.pdf

Unable to Take the PSAT/NMSQT?

If you do not take the 2011 PSAT/NMSQT because

of illness, an emergency, or other extenuating circumstance,

you may still be able to enter NMSC’s

2013 competitions. To request information about

another route of entry after the October 2011 PSAT/

NMSQT administration, WRITE to NMSC as soon

as possible but no later than March 1, 2012. Do not

delay; the earlier you write, the more options you

will have for scheduling test dates.

Mail your request to:

National Merit Scholarship Corporation

Attn: Educational Services

1560 Sherman Avenue, Suite 200

Evanston, IL 60201-4897

Your letter must be postmarked on or before March 1,

2012 for your request to be considered.

I would think they ought to be able to argue extenuating circumstances, but I don't know how the ruling would go since they did, technically, take the test. One student getting a top score in the room might negate all the other claims - except, perhaps those with documented medical issues.

I seriously doubt there was conspiracy with calling the mom back. I imagine they were just busy. It's got to be a super busy morning for them. They were probably as frustrated with the admin and the choice as anyone else.

Our school administers both the PSAT and SAT. The "hosting" comment probably arises from how one signs up for the test. For the PSAT it's with the school directly, so they order tests, etc. For the SAT it's all online and they just get sent the tests.

I'm sure there's a huge variety of test taking conditions mostly based upon whether or not the people in charge realize how much is at stake for some kids. Since our school gives the test in classrooms there's a variety of conditions even within our school based on the first letter of your last name and who's assigned to that room. My middle son lost out on NMSF status because he was using his watch to time and forgot to calibrate it with the school clock. His watch was 5 minutes behind the school clock. The proctor wrote the end time on the board (as required by collegeboard), but never announced any time checks (5 minute warning, etc - those AREN'T required by collegeboard). He didn't finish three questions on the first math section. It's incredibly frustrating as more guarantees would be out there financially with NMSF status, but it's life. In several states his score would have had NMSF status even with the missed questions, but in our state it's not high enough. That's another frustrating thing, but it's still life. Fortunately his ACT score is high enough to have potential for decent merit aid anyway, but admittedly, with NMSF status, he'd be guaranteed even more at some schools. Now he has to compete for it.

One of the first things I taught my boys is that life isn't fair. You have to deal with what you have.

From the brochure at http://www.nationalmerit.org/student_guide.pdf

Unable to Take the PSAT/NMSQT?

If you do not take the 2011 PSAT/NMSQT because

of illness, an emergency, or other extenuating circumstance,

you may still be able to enter NMSC’s

2013 competitions..

That's nice that they have that. I wonder if they did when I was a student. I had mono for two months during testing of my junior year. I had an excellent SAT score from the year before so the school knew I was a potential NMS. They talked to my parents and everyone insisted that I try to take it. (Doc said I wasn't contagious, just still really sick). I just could not stay awake, even though the proctor kept rousting me. Obviously I scored hundreds of points lower than the SAT the year before, and didn't make the cut for NM. It would've been nice to use SAT scores instead.

I'm glad this came out in this thread because I teach high school students and something similar may happen to one of them one day. And I'll have an answer :D

I'm sure there's a huge variety of test taking conditions mostly based upon whether or not the people in charge realize how much is at stake for some kids. Since our school gives the test in classrooms there's a variety of conditions even within our school based on the first letter of your last name and who's assigned to that room.

That's so true. Some classrooms are spacious and uncluttered; some are messy and cramped. My sons both took the PSAT yesterday at our local high school. One boy had a male teacher as proctor who read the directions super-fast and didn't let them leave the room for the 5-min breaks -- and as a result that son was done a good half-hour before my other son, whose proctor let the kids leave the classroom but then had to corral them all back in after breaks.

I've gotten to know the woman at the school (from the career center, so technically not a guidance counselor) who has taken over administering the PSAT the last two years. She told me that last year some kids took the test in a classroom that's right next to a bathroom; every time someone ran the water it was very distracting to the test-takers, so this year she's putting that classroom off-limits, and no kids will be assigned to that room for the PSAT. She's made other changes from the way "it's always been done," all for the good of the kids taking the test. But I see, as creekland says, how it really depends on one single person caring about the kids and their results and having the chutzpah and energy to effect some changes ... That reminds me to thank her again for her efforts. :001_smile:

One of the first things I taught my boys is that life isn't fair. You have to deal with what you have.

I couldn't agree more ... I wish more parents had your attitude.

Creekland thank you for sharing the information about how students can apply in extenuating circumstances - great info! :)

You may be right that it was just that they were busy, but I can imagine that the mom's call was made in such a way as to let them know the urgency. I don't think it was so much a conspiracy lol as a case of what will we do if we stop the test for 300 or 600 kids. When will they take the test and where type of concerns. It might also have set a precedent that they'd rather not have set, or their phones may be ringing off the hook in future years. Just my thoughts.

I have a feeling that it will be easy to spot WTM homeschoolers at next year's PSAT testing sites - they'll be the ones with sweaters, gloves, etc. just in case. :tongue_smilie:

My sons both took the PSAT yesterday at our local high school. One boy had a male teacher as proctor who read the directions super-fast and didn't let them leave the room for the 5-min breaks -- and as a result that son was done a good half-hour before my other son, whose proctor let the kids leave the classroom but then had to corral them all back in after breaks.

Well... there's only one 5 minute break (after Session 2) where they are supposed to be allowed a bathroom break and leave the room.

Then there's one 1 minute stretch break (after Session 4).

That's it - officially - in our scripted "plan" from collegeboard. We're supposed to write all start/stop/break times down in the script.

Students may use the restroom at other times, but they aren't to be given more time for the test and restrooms are supposed to be monitored to ensure no cheating.

I did leave a little extra time between Session 1 and Session 2 for my classroom as I knew a school bell would ring two minutes into our start time if I didn't. Otherwise, we followed the script. I had a couple of students who were slower filling out all the bubbles for identification, etc, so my classroom was one of the last to be finished, but we all finished within 10 minutes of each other.

Conditions can definitely be different pending where one takes the test...

College Board has another set of PSATs that they give on Saturday. It would have been no problem to move the test to Saturday and overnight the new tests to the school. They have had to do this for power outages, flooding, swine flu, etc. Really, College Board is not out to get you or your kids. They actually bend over backwards to help kids go to college. Testing is really a small percentage of what College Board is about.

Creekland thank you for sharing the information about how students can apply in extenuating circumstances - great info! :)

You may be right that it was just that they were busy' date=' but I can imagine that the mom's call was made in such a way as to let them know the urgency. I don't think it was so much a conspiracy lol as a case of what will we do if we stop the test for 300 or 600 kids. When will they take the test and where type of concerns. It might also have set a precedent that they'd rather not have set, or their phones may be ringing off the hook in future years. Just my thoughts.

I have a feeling that it will be easy to spot WTM homeschoolers at next year's PSAT testing sites - they'll be the ones with sweaters, gloves, etc. just in case. :tongue_smilie:[/quote']

I was confused. Ds' testing situation was chaotic and I never felt confident about the process; the school had planned to test on Saturday but were sent the Wednesday forms instead. We learned about the change on Tuesday morning, so we did have time for a practice test and to review the codes and information for the form. Test day was pretty confusing. Several people were sick during the test (nerves) and had to rush out. Then, the proctor tried to convince ds to use the school code (he was able to explain politely and calmly). She also ended the test early to allow students to attend a college/jobs fair, and ds didn't object. :glare:

It was what it was, but I've since talked to people who've tested different children in different places. If I had a chance to do over I'd have signed him up at the charter school. The academic expectations are different and the way the test is administered reflects that. I chose a different SAT testing center.

Even if this school was in the same state and my child was taking the PSAT for the NMS' date=' I'd want the Boards to allow these students to re-take the test. They might have a slight advantage, but as it stands it is so incredibly unfair to them.

Christina I agree - there is no excuse for the choice they made. None.[/quote']

Unfortunately the unfairness and lack of appropriate testing venue was imposed on them by the district. It isn't College Board's responsibility to make up for negligent school district officials.

On the other hand, if school officials can't be trusted to follow directions properly in administering a test like this, there are a lot of other proceedures that I wouldn't count on them doing properly, from administering discipline to sending out transcripts in a timely manner to making sure that cheating wasn't happening during tests.

I would be calling the school district superintendent and school board meetings and be going to school board meetings to get them to answer up on how the tests were administered by a group of people who were so ill informed on appropriate test proceedures. Why did they wait so long to set up the location for the test? Why didn't they hold off on the test when they saw conditions? (Really, how could anyone in their right mind think that would be ok?)

And I agree with the previous poster who observed that the school gym/cafeteria ought to provide more than enough space. If necessary, then make it a day off for seniors and freshmen and only have sophmores and juniors there to do testing.

These tests are not new. A school ought to have a pretty smooth procedure in place.

ETA: I scored well enough on PSATs back in the dark ages to go through the National Merit Scholarship process myself, so I do realize what a high stakes test it is. It's just that "fixing" it for these students only makes it unfair for other students elsewhere. Heads should roll at the district.

College Board has another set of PSATs that they give on Saturday. It would have been no problem to move the test to Saturday and overnight the new tests to the school. They have had to do this for power outages, flooding, swine flu, etc. Really, College Board is not out to get you or your kids. They actually bend over backwards to help kids go to college. Testing is really a small percentage of what College Board is about.

Never thought they were. :001_huh:

Well... there's only one 5 minute break (after Session 2) where they are supposed to be allowed a bathroom break and leave the room.

Then there's one 1 minute stretch break (after Session 4).

That's it - officially - in our scripted "plan" from collegeboard. We're supposed to write all start/stop/break times down in the script.

OK, I got more details from my son (14yo boys are not always the chattiest of people, haha). He says kids *were* allowed to leave the room to use the bathroom (and only for that purpose) during *both* breaks, but both times the teacher started the test before everyone was back in the room. (They came back within a minute or two after he'd started.) My son said the teacher just said, "We started Section 3" (or 5) and the kid sat down and started that section late (!).

Hmm ... it was worse than I thought! :glare: Not trying to get this teacher in trouble; my purpose in posting was just to show how two kids at the same testing center could have radically different experiences depending on which room they were assigned to.

Although ... I think this teacher has "checked out" mentally ... one of my sons is now a student at this high school, and this teacher definitely didn't seem to care about teaching anymore. Seems to be reflected in how he handled the proctoring, too. :glare:

Students may use the restroom at other times, but they aren't to be given more time for the test and restrooms are supposed to be monitored to ensure no cheating.

That's good to know ... I'll tell my boys.

ETA: I scored well enough on PSATs back in the dark ages to go through the National Merit Scholarship process myself, so I do realize what a high stakes test it is. It's just that "fixing" it for these students only makes it unfair for other students elsewhere. Heads should roll at the district.

Same here. And I have one son who almost certainly won't even make Commended status, and another who should coast to NMSF when it's his year (he would've qualified at age 13). I'm thankful that our school district (and the wonderful career-center lady I mentioned earlier) take so much pains to make the test run smoothly. Our humble local public high school has had up to 4 NMSFs in one year, so I think they "get it." Unlike, unfortunately, quite a few school districts, it seems ....

Unfortunately the unfairness and lack of appropriate testing venue was imposed on them by the district. It isn't College Board's responsibility to make up for negligent school district officials.

On the other hand, if school officials can't be trusted to follow directions properly in administering a test like this, there are a lot of other proceedures that I wouldn't count on them doing properly, from administering discipline to sending out transcripts in a timely manner to making sure that cheating wasn't happening during tests.

I would be calling the school district superintendent and school board meetings and be going to school board meetings to get them to answer up on how the tests were administered by a group of people who were so ill informed on appropriate test proceedures. Why did they wait so long to set up the location for the test? Why didn't they hold off on the test when they saw conditions? (Really, how could anyone in their right mind think that would be ok?)

And I agree with the previous poster who observed that the school gym/cafeteria ought to provide more than enough space. If necessary, then make it a day off for seniors and freshmen and only have sophmores and juniors there to do testing.

These tests are not new. A school ought to have a pretty smooth procedure in place.

Clearly the school administrator's were the ones at fault for the mess. However, and honestly we have no way of knowing what went on at the CB from the time they received the mother's call until they called her back, I still think they could have stepped in and stopped the test that morning. JMO