Menu

Need ideas for baby bok choy and kale

I get a CSA share every week. I love all the veggies and have lots of go to recipes for almost everything. Everything except baby bok choy and kale. I have cut up some of the bok choy for stir fry, but that's it. With the kale I will put a few leaves in smoothies, but I haven't found anything else that we like. I tried making kale chips and they were terrible. I have made massaged-kale salad and hubs won't eat it - he doesn't like the taste or texture. I did make a Rachel Ray kale with pancetta that was edible.

Any tried and true recipes for bok choy or kale would be great since I got BOTH in my share this week and I really don't want to end up tossing them.

Edited to add: Oops. I forgot to mention we don't eat wheat, so GF recipes are best.

I like to stir fry bok choy...my favorite simple stir fry is onions, carrots, and red pepper stir fried in a bit of oil, to which I add some tofu (chicken or beef would probably be just as good, we happen to be vegetarian). At the end I add the bok choy & let it wilt, then add soy sauce, ginger juice (grated fresh ginger root also works), and hoisin sauce to taste. Yum. :) I serve it over rice. As long as you make sure your soy sauce and hoisin sauce are gluten free, you'd be good to go.

Kale I just saute with lots of onions, then add soy sauce and rice vinegar and maybe a drizzle of toasted sesame oil. If I want to make a meal of it I'll add a bit of cubed tofu or tempeh, but I will happily eat a whole bowl full of kale.

ETA: like other posters I also use kale in soup. The other day made a white bean and potato soup with kale. I started with veggies (onions, carrots) fried in oil, then added broth (vegetarian chicken-flavored broth), cannelini beans, and cubed potatoes. I added a whole head of roasted garlic (which I usually puree with a bit of the soup liquid & beans before adding to the pot), and at the end I add the kale. I always add greens to soups at the end because I don't like how mushy they get if I cook them along with everything else. I think I probably seasoned with rosemary & thyme & a bit of black pepper, though I don't remember exactly. Soups are pretty on the fly around here!

Edited by BrookValley

We cook kale just like we cook other greens~turnips, collards. A bit of water & bouillon-type seasoning (real southern cooks season with ham or bacon), cook in a pot until fork tender & serve with vinegar based hot sauce. We love them :). They are a weekly staple side veggie in our house.

Both are good chopped up in small pieces and added to soup.

I LOVE to chop up a whole mess of garlic, add a little broth to a frying pan and add the garlic. When it gets good and steamy, add the kale and stir it around a little. Put a lid on for a few minutes until the kale is wilted, and chow down. Yum.

I mostly just use bok choy in soups or stir fry.

I get a CSA share every week. I love all the veggies and have lots of go to recipes for almost everything. Everything except baby bok choy and kale. I have cut up some of the bok choy for stir fry, but that's it. With the kale I will put a few leaves in smoothies, but I haven't found anything else that we like. I tried making kale chips and they were terrible. I have made massaged-kale salad and hubs won't eat it - he doesn't like the taste or texture. I did make a Rachel Ray kale with pancetta that was edible.

Any tried and true recipes for bok choy or kale would be great since I got BOTH in my share this week and I really don't want to end up tossing them.

Edited to add: Oops. I forgot to mention we don't eat wheat, so GF recipes are best.

I put bok choy in chicken broth with noodles and wontons, and kale in zuppa toscana. Look for the Olive Garden copycat recipe. It's a sausage-potato soup that calls for kale.

• 2 weeks later...
Portugese Sweet Potato, Sausage, Kale Soup

This soup is a favorite here. We just had it last night. I use frozen lima beans in place of the cannellini that this recipe has. And spicy chorizo for the sausage.

Thanks for sharing this recipe, Cosmos. My husband made it last night and it was a big hit.

Changes my husband made included using Sweet Italian pork sausage (instead of turkey), two cloves of garlic (instead of six), and less of the red pepper than was called for. He also used bouillon cubes since we forgot to buy the canned chicken broth when we shopped and fresh kale instead of frozen.

We had it with fresh bread and butter and enjoyed it immensely. This recipe will definitely be made again.

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks for sharing this recipe, Cosmos. My husband made it last night and it was a big hit.

Changes my husband made included using Sweet Italian pork sausage (instead of turkey), two cloves of garlic (instead of six), and less of the red pepper than was called for. He also used bouillon cubes since we forgot to buy the canned chicken broth when we shopped and fresh kale instead of frozen.

We had it with fresh bread and butter and enjoyed it immensely. This recipe will definitely be made again.

Regards,

Kareni

I use pork sausage and fresh kale too. I'm glad you liked it! :)