Menu

are there any lightweight dishes that are NOT Correlle?

I have arthritis in my hands. It isn't bad yet, but my mother is totally crippled by it, and so is my aunt. I know I'm next. One of the things that I know aggravates the pain is doing dishes, and unloading the dishwasher. We are going to need new dishes soon, thanks to my clumsy family, and I want something lighter than the stoneware we have now. I figured that meant Correlle. I honestly am not terribly fond of it, but my hands are more of a priority than aesthetics. However, today DH told me he hates Correlle. Hates the material.

Are there any other options? If not, I think DH is going to have to deal with it. Or start doing the dishes, lol.

We used to use Noritake ColorWave in Graphite. If you look at the price tag, Corelle may start looking more appealing. LOL I love the way these dishes feel. They are not lightweight, but definitely lighter than most stoneware. They sell them at stores like Macys if you want to try a feel test. We haven't used them in a year, and all of a sudden dh said something like this the other day "I miss those old dishes...I didn't realize how much I liked them until now...and now I miss them."

They aren't impervious to breakage though, chips occur more common than I think they should and when the changed the design just enough that I couldn't replace certain broken items, I boxed them for donation to Goodwill. They still live in the garage....I don't want to get rid of them. :lol:

I would suggest glass, too. My glass dessert plates are much lighter than the Fiestaware bread plates that are slightly smaller.

I'm not a fan of Corelle, either. I just don't care for the way it feels, sounds, etc. No idea why; it's a tactile thing, I guess.

I'm just curious.. what's not to like about correlle?

I don't like the feel of them. The texture is odd to me. They feel like a weird blend of hard plastic and glass. There is something that just feels wrong about them. Like it is not one or the other....they are mutant LOL We had a mis-mash of dishes growing up, including Correll and I always chose other dishes if there was an option.

Just because we are talking dishes.....I also will do what ever I can to avoid drinking out of a plastic or metal cup. LOL

I would suggest glass, too. My glass dessert plates are much lighter than the Fiestaware bread plates that are slightly smaller.

I'm not a fan of Corelle, either. I just don't care for the way it feels, sounds, etc. No idea why; it's a tactile thing, I guess.

So funny. I adamantly prefer Corelle because I don't like the feel of glass or stoneware dishes. I told my mother the same thing: It's a tactile thing. ;)

I don't know if it's just seasonal or year round.... but I've seen light weight mellamine (sp?) dishes in Target. LOTS of different designs, colors, patterns. If your dh doesn't like Corelle, I'm not sure he'd love this either. But you can buy a piece cheaply and try it out.

Look up the potential health issues related to melamine before going that route.