Menu

What I don't understand is.....(poll)

What I don't understand is....(poll)  

1. 1. What I don't understand is....(poll)

• I don't understand the question
    • Yes, this is a run on sentence.
    • Statistics and data collection are boring
    • Other

If you make a poll that targets only a particular subset of the homeschooling population and rely on the information of the people who bother to answer your poll (which is probably only a fraction of aforementioned subset), how can you correlate that information to generalizations the public makes about homeschoolers?

Is this a run on sentence? Anyone?

I get what you're saying and I agree. Relying on polls here to represent any kind of "standard" or "general average" is a waste of time. Frankly, I'm finding some of the recent polls rather presumptuous anyway.

Statistics are boring.

No, your sentence isn't a run-on. It's a compound, complex sentence :D

On one of my favorite forums (fori?), regardless of the poll, "Texas" is always one of the choices. I don't know how it came to be that way, but I like it. :D

And ITA that some of the recent polls are presumptious. I'm beginning to wonder...

I chose Other. Statistics are fun and not boring. I say that, though I hate math. Isn't that weird? When I was a kid, I used to make up surveys that I would have people in school fill out for fun. They were meaningless on the whole, but it was interesting to me to see what people would choose. I love this rash of Homeschool Is threads, even though they may not bear statistical relevance of a scientific nature. :D

So 4 out of 5 people hate statistics,

5 out of 6 people do not believe your statement is a run on sentence, and

6 is afraid of 7 because 7,8,9. (1 in 5 won't get that)

Meanwhile 50% of people who should be homeschooling are surfing homeschooling forums looking for statistics. (subject to +/- 5% due to lurkers)

Meanwhile 50% of people who should be homeschooling are surfing homeschooling forums looking for statistics. (subject to +/- 5% due to lurkers)

97% of people will be too chicken to repost this!

:lol:

and other, statistics are only interesting when you can analyze them or pull them apart and find the errors - my someday MBA sons favorite joke: liars, darned liars, and statisticians

and nothing on this post even plays a sentence on tv but your sentence is fine

Polls are fun and useful (to a degree) on message boards... I like them and see no harm in them, and yes I believe they give a reasonable snapshot of the board's "population."

I've done searches of past polls here to get a gauge of demographics and attitudes and they match "official" statistics of homeschoolers that I am aware of-- overwhelmingly 2 parents families, SAHMs, middle to upper class, and white. (There have been 1 or 2 polls here on race.)

I like polls :).