Menu

We are moving this month

I don't want to move, but I'd rather move on my own terms than wait until someone says I have x number of days to leave whether I can find a new place to live or not.

The property management company our landlords just fired want to keep us as tenants and have been sending us properties they think we might be interested in as they come up. We looked at the second property they sent us today. Our landlords have let us out of our lease, so DH will be putting the deposit down on the new house tomorrow. It actually all worked out: the deposit is lower than expected, it's all that is needed up front, and it's just about our limit for how much we can scrap together right now. DH has a large job this week that will cover the pet deposit and moving costs without a problem. Rent won't be an issue.

The new house is 3 miles away in a cool location. It's one of about a dozen homes behind a small nature preserve. There's very little traffic back there except on church days because there's a small Kingdom Hall at the end of the block. A large park is two blocks away. A grocery store where the manager knows me by name is also two blocks away. A redbox is three blocks away. :D

It's a funky-floor-plan rambler with three bedrooms and 1.75 baths. It's almost 300 square feet larger than the house we are now. When you walk into the front door, you are in an entry way, the far end of which is the dining room. To the left is a sunken living room. Just past that on the left is the entry to the gorgeous kitchen which opens up to the family room (with fireplace) which has a laundry room on the opposite side. To the right of the entry is a hall to a bathroom, coat closet, linen closet, master suite, and two bedrooms. There's a cut out window between the kitchen and dining room for passing plates through. The bedrooms are on the small side, but they'll work. The backyard is large. There are tall pine trees out there. The ground is dirt, pine needles, and some weeds; it looks very natural. There's a large funky deck: think two parts attached by a bridge. One part has built in seating; the other part used to have a jacuzzi but it's been removed and turned into just deck. It will be great for entertaining. There's also a very large storage shed in the backyard. The front yard is landscaped and has a large cement pad that can fit at least 5 cars. We met one of the neighbors who is very nice. He has 13 and 16 year old boys. There's also a 4/5-ish year old girl on the street. He said there were a couple of kids down the street. It's very quiet.

We'll use the family room as a school room. DH will still be working out of the garage but a lot of the stuff crammed into our current garage will go into the new shed, freeing up a lot of room. A couple of the kids are happy about the move. DS4 was crying a little; he wants someone else (not our landlords) to sell their house instead. DD11 isn't thrilled. The kids will miss their much loved and much used tree swing because the new house doesn't have a suitable tree.

The rent is $50 less than what we are paying now and they are only charging us 1/2 of the pet deposit and 1/2 of the processing fee.

Now to start collecting boxes and start packing.

The back story:

We've been here 11 months, and have 13 months left on our current lease. Several weeks ago, my husband received a call on his business phone that he didn't recognize. It turned out to be a realtor wanting access to our home for a market analysis. She told us that the home owners had decided to attempt a short sell on the property. We confirmed this with the property management company before letting her in. It was at this time that the owners also dismissed the property management company. After a couple of weeks of not hearing from the owners, we hunted down their information to find out where we were suppose to send rent this month and ask about their intentions.

The owners have given us way too much information in explaining their intentions. It sounds a bit off to us, and we think they may be in default on their mortgage already. Of course, we can't verify that.

If we stayed here, there are several possibilities of what could happen:

An investor could buy the house. They have to honor the lease.

Someone can buy the house with the intention of living in it. They have to give us 90 days notice.

The bank could foreclose (if it is in default) and give us cash for keys.

The bank could foreclose (if it is in default) and honor the lease while trying to sell the house. If the house is sold the first two scenarios apply.

We didn't like the idea of living in limbo and the possibility of not being able to find a suitable home with 90 days notice. So, we're moving now, when we have the chance.

Sounds good. Get someone else to do the heavy lifting. :001_smile:

Hope this one will work out long term.

Definitely! We learned the last time that movers are worth every penny. DH is asking someone he knows in the business for pricing. That person sold us boxes for really cheap last time but didn't move us because we didn't know they did local moves. If he doesn't pan out, we'll contact the company that moved us last time for only $300-ish.

I hope it lasts longer, too. The good news is that this house is owned free and clear. It doesn't sound like he's looking to sell the house anytime soon.

:grouphug:It sounds like a smart move on your part, and I hope the move is blessed.:grouphug:

Definitely! We learned the last time that movers are worth every penny. DH is asking someone he knows in the business for pricing. That person sold us boxes for really cheap last time but didn't move us because we didn't know they did local moves. If he doesn't pan out, we'll contact the company that moved us last time for only $300-ish.

I hope it lasts longer, too. The good news is that this house is owned free and clear. It doesn't sound like he's looking to sell the house anytime soon.

The back story:

We've been here 11 months, and have 13 months left on our current lease. Several weeks ago, my husband received a call on his business phone that he didn't recognize. It turned out to be a realtor wanting access to our home for a market analysis. She told us that the home owners had decided to attempt a short sell on the property. We confirmed this with the property management company before letting her in. It was at this time that the owners also dismissed the property management company. After a couple of weeks of not hearing from the owners, we hunted down their information to find out where we were suppose to send rent this month and ask about their intentions.

The owners have given us way too much information in explaining their intentions. It sounds a bit off to us, and we think they may be in default on their mortgage already. Of course, we can't verify that.

If we stayed here, there are several possibilities of what could happen:

An investor could buy the house. They have to honor the lease.

Someone can buy the house with the intention of living in it. They have to give us 90 days notice.

The bank could foreclose (if it is in default) and give us cash for keys.

The bank could foreclose (if it is in default) and honor the lease while trying to sell the house. If the house is sold the first two scenarios apply.

We didn't like the idea of living in limbo and the possibility of not being able to find a suitable home with 90 days notice. So, we're moving now, when we have the chance.

WOW! We had almost the exact same scenario this summer!!! The big difference with us is that in the short time we were in our last place it seems rents on decent places around here has risen significantly. We found a new place but our rent went up $250/month. :001_huh::glare: I mean, we chose to do that, but we are WAY happier here. I'd buy this house in a heartbeat!

I hope the move goes well and you are settled soon!