Menu

Frustrated! 5th Grade Ancient History Recommendations - Help?!

KCR's Mom

Hello!

Can anyone recommend a fantastic ancient history program for 5th grade? I am planning ahead for next year, and I am stumped.

It's got to be fun and interesting, with review, memorization, book recommendations, activities/games/crafts/recipes, maybe some audio CDs. We'd be glad if it includes history from the Bible, but that's not mandatory. And it can't be so intense that it eats our lives; we love history, but I don't have hours a day to spend on it every single day.

I have spent weeks narrowing the field, and all day today reviewing what I thought were our final choices. Here's what I've found.

• We truly respect TWTM, but the Kingfisher spine that is the only recommendation bored both DD and me to tears. We're not doing that.
  • We have done SOTW up to this point, this year mixing in the fabulous Veritas Press. But SOTW ends, and VP doesn't start Ancients again until 7th grade. Grrr.
  • We stumbled on Diana Waring CDs, and we really enjoyed them. But her samples seem to focus too much on the Bible, at kind of a surface level, with not enough on the rest of the period's history. We may get the CDs, and the activity book, but I'm not excited about the full curriculum.
  • Mystery of History looked great, and I like the writing and games. But it seems WAY too intense. With all the things we're doing, at home and away, we just don't have three to five days a week to devote to reading, testing, and activities each day. I can see us falling behind very quickly, and my stress levels building. UGH!

I am so beyond frustrated. Isn't there some program that's deep enough to give an academically sound basis in logic-stage history, enjoyable enough for both of us to look forward to, and organized enough for a busy mom, without being either dull or overwhelming?!

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Lisa

If you liked MOH, you might reconsider. You don't have to do everything involved, and it can be done in 3 days per week. I add to it because I find it not "intense" enough... so we must be looking at it from different angles.

I use MOH with Biblioplan, which keeps it in chronological order but groups it up into "chunks" by civilization, nation, etc. That way, you don't have 3 completely different topics each with their own maps, projects, additional reading, coordinating literature, etc. I still many of the extras from MOH as they are scheduled per BP. If you are interested, feel free to ask questions.

HTH!

I used MOH when my dd was in 6th grade and my ds in Kindergarten. He listened in to most of it and did some of the projects. I don't think MOH would be too much. I did not do a timeline, though.

I'm using Biblioplan which schedules SOTW or MOH as an optional spine as well as Streams of Civilization if you want that kind of book. You wouldn't do it in the same order, but it does have maps, timeline figures, and lots of recommended books. It's scheduled for 3 days a week.

We use History Odyssey and like it. I think a lot of these programs could be tailored to your needs - skip the bits you think are less important, and do extra activities if you don't feel there's enough. The Internet is your friend. :001_smile:

Yep, this, right down to using HO. :) We decided to only do the activities from the Greek History Pockets this time around instead of spending hours cutting and coloring. Ds found a workbook he'd rather do instead. :lol: (my kid hates workbooks, but I guess likes them better than pockets!) We save time by doing the fiction readings in the car. There's only 87 lessons for the year so you can do an entire lesson in one day and do 2-3 days a week, or do half a lesson every day and still take time off.

Thanks to all of you for the great suggestions and support! :) I know that every program can be tailored, and I guess that's what I'm going to have to do.

Questions:

Biblioplan - I like that it sounds as if it condenses things to be more manageable with 34 weeks of lessons, but the plans online still seem to be overhwhelming. Except that it shaves two weeks off MOH, it looks similar, while making things more complex by adding spines. What do you think?

History Odyssey - 87 lessons is definitely more my comfort zone! But it relies heavily on Kingfisher, which we really did not like, and SOMK, which isn't looking like our kind of thing either. Thoughts on an alternate spine? I'm looking into Human Odyssey now online...

My Father's World - another popular vote! :) What do you like about it? Again, it seems quite a lot to pack into a week, or I'm going to spend a lot of time picking and choosing.

You all seem to make it work, and applaud your ability to balance, I thank you for taking your time to help me! I just need to find a program that is engaging and doesn't require quite so much time; 3-4 hours a week total, likely over two days, is going to be our limit. Sigh.

I really like the book Builders of the Old World by Gertrude Hartman. I read it aloud for medieval (it covers ancient through Renaissance) for my grammar stage kids, and it was just a smidge too detailed for them (though we really liked it) so it might be perfect for a 5th grader as independent reading. It's less young feeling than SOTW. You might could use it as an alternate spine with HO.

Questions:

Biblioplan - I like that it sounds as if it condenses things to be more manageable with 34 weeks of lessons' date=' but the plans online still seem to be overhwhelming. Except that it shaves two weeks off MOH, it looks similar, while making things more complex by adding spines. What do you think?

[/quote']

MOH can be your spine. Most weeks there is scheduled reading in it everyday, but the bible reading is important, too. I think it would be good to have some of those other resources on hand when you want to learn more about a topic, but I don't think you would have to use them fully every week. I own Usborne's encyclopedia, Victor Journey, SOTW, and MOH. I am reading some from all of these, but not everything.

Thanks to all of you for the great suggestions and support! :) I know that every program can be tailored' date=' and I guess that's what I'm going to have to do.

Questions:

Biblioplan - I like that it sounds as if it condenses things to be more manageable with 34 weeks of lessons, but the plans online still seem to be overhwhelming. Except that it shaves two weeks off MOH, it looks similar, while making things more complex by adding spines. What do you think?

History Odyssey - 87 lessons is definitely more my comfort zone! But it relies heavily on Kingfisher, which we really did not like, and SOMK, which isn't looking like our kind of thing either. Thoughts on an alternate spine? I'm looking into Human Odyssey now online...

My Father's World - another popular vote! :) What do you like about it? Again, it seems quite a lot to pack into a week, or I'm going to spend a lot of time picking and choosing.

You all seem to make it work, and applaud your ability to balance, I thank you for taking your time to help me! I just need to find a program that is engaging and doesn't require quite so much time; 3-4 hours a week total, likely over two days, is going to be our limit. Sigh.[/quote']

I don't think your time limit is an unreasonable one. It is frustrating trying to find the right thing. I haven't used these (I think they are new), but while you're exploring options you might check out these task cards from Creek Edge Press: http://shop.creekedgepress.com/Ancient-World-Task-Card-Set-AW.htm

If you go with something like MOH, I would just try to use it in a WTM manner with some outlining and written summaries instead of all the pretests, quizzes, review cards, etc. (Don't even ask me about timelining - I've never been successful with it!)

No one has mentioned HOD's CTC - like MFW, it will have a more unit study approach than some of the others and it will take 4 days, but it possibly use less time each day? (I haven't used the CTC guide.) Like Diana Waring, it will concentrate heavily on Bible history for ancients, so it might not meet your needs. It does have a history project every week you can do or skip and it has notebook pages that match the assignments.

Also, you might search on the logic stage board.... I think there are some who post there using the Oxford-Ancient-something-or-other as a spine.

Another vote for MOH. We just don't do it all. Of course I know how hard it is to pick and choose. :tongue_smilie: We are taking time away from it to go deeper into ancient egypt, right now. I did buy MFW CtG and I thought it was too much. I felt like I was running around like crazy using several different books (just for history) and it was making my head spin. I didn't like the Streams book either. Since I had also bought MOH, I decided to just use that, but of course we only do history twice a week, so we will be cutting it back.

No one has mentioned HOD's CTC - like MFW, it will have a more unit study approach than some of the others and it will take 4 days, but it possibly use less time each day? (I haven't used the CTC guide.) Like Diana Waring, it will concentrate heavily on Bible history for ancients, so it might not meet your needs. It does have a history project every week you can do or skip and it has notebook pages that match the assignments.

:iagree: Another one I hadn't thought about. Had a looked at HOD before we started this school year, we would have gone with this. We are going to start it next year.

You could start over in the VP cycle and do the online, self-paced courses. They cover way more with them than they do in the printed materials.

MOH straight would be great for you too. It's not intense at all. Just depends on whether you want to teach or pawn off to someone else.

We are using HOD CTC this year with our two 5th graders, beefing it up for our 8th grader, and loving it. It is very Bible heavy which had me freaking out at first - not because we have an issue with Biblical teaching, but it was very different from the models I had seen and used before and I was worried that it didn't contain enough non-Biblical history. I can see that it contains lots of good things, though, and we are supplementing it with carefully chosen readings from SOTW and CHOW. The guys love the Diana Waring CDs (once they got used to her extreme enthusiasm and high voice, LOL), and the notebooking is working really well. I really like the way Bible and geography are tied in - the geography resource is great.

I bought the guide used, and am feeling free to sub things out - we do our own LA for the most part, though we use dictation, usually from their own readings, on the days it's scheduled, and I've messed with the science schedule, using some AO picks and some of HOD's. We also do the poetry differently, but it's working for us.

Way back when last history cycle, I did Biblioplan with the guys. It is great, and very, very history heavy. You must feel free to pick and choose or you might be overwhelmed, as were my poor kids and I. HOD seems so much lighter, and yet, it seems my kids are retaining and learning a lot more.

Hello!

Can anyone recommend a fantastic ancient history program for 5th grade? I am planning ahead for next year' date=' and I am stumped.

It's got to be fun and interesting, with review, memorization, book recommendations, activities/games/crafts/recipes, maybe some audio CDs. We'd be glad if it includes history from the Bible, but that's not mandatory. And it can't be so intense that it eats our lives; we love history, but I don't have hours a day to spend on it every single day.

I have spent weeks narrowing the field, and all day today reviewing what I thought were our final choices. Here's what I've found.

[list']

[*]We truly respect TWTM, but the Kingfisher spine that is the only recommendation bored both DD and me to tears. We're not doing that.

[*]We have done SOTW up to this point, this year mixing in the fabulous Veritas Press. But SOTW ends, and VP doesn't start Ancients again until 7th grade. Grrr.

[*]We stumbled on Diana Waring CDs, and we really enjoyed them. But her samples seem to focus too much on the Bible, at kind of a surface level, with not enough on the rest of the period's history. We may get the CDs, and the activity book, but I'm not excited about the full curriculum.

[*]Mystery of History looked great, and I like the writing and games. But it seems WAY too intense. With all the things we're doing, at home and away, we just don't have three to five days a week to devote to reading, testing, and activities each day. I can see us falling behind very quickly, and my stress levels building. UGH!

I am so beyond frustrated. Isn't there some program that's deep enough to give an academically sound basis in logic-stage history, enjoyable enough for both of us to look forward to, and organized enough for a busy mom, without being either dull or overwhelming?!

Lisa

My 4th and 6th graders are doing Heart of Dakota Creation to Christ. We LOVE it!!!! It's written to be an all-in-one curriculum but we do not use the math or the English as it is written. It also includes science and we do do that. But you don't have to. I''ve heard many people who don't.

It includes, audio CD's, Bible history, research, crafts, copywork, read-alouds, geography, Bible study for kids and parents to do together and then an independent bible study as well. Also, geography. Am I forgetting anything? Oh yes, the students create the most beautiful notebook. The pages are beautiful and carefully planned out. There is some choice and room for creativity but it's not so open-ended that we all just freeze because we can't decide how to structure a blank piece of paper. I've always loved the idea of notebooking but could never pull one off. I LOVE what my kids are doing and it is so easy to implement. Sooo easy.

You can check it out here.

ETA: I should add, in case you're wondering that the main history book used is Guerber's Story of the Ancient World. My two read from it independently and give written narrations from it. It's a good fit here. The book will change once we hit Greece, though.

ETA again: I read your post about time constraints. So I wanted to let you know that the 3 history boxes take my kids 1 hour 4 days per week. I guess you could squoosh that into 2 days at 4 hours if you prefer. That would feel like history overload to me. A lot to digest in one day. Now the read-aloud box and geography/bible study box takes us together another 40 min. And I schedule another 20 min. for their own Bible box. If you can find a used copy (which isn't too difficult) then maybe it won't feel like a "waste" only using the history boxes. I only use 7 of the 10 boxes and feel like it was a good value. You might feel differently if you only use 3 of them.

Edited by silliness7

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks to all of you for the great suggestions and support! :) I know that every program can be tailored' date=' and I guess that's what I'm going to have to do.

Questions:

You all seem to make it work, and applaud your ability to balance, I thank you for taking your time to help me! I just need to find a program that is engaging and doesn't require quite so much time; 3-4 hours a week total, likely over two days, is going to be our limit. Sigh.[/quote']

Au contraire, I am still seeking balance. Biblioplan can make MOH into a much bigger thing than it has to be by adding a lot to it. Or, the amount of work can stay the same. Depends on what pieces and parts you use. If you only do what BP says to do for MOH - which is only the reading, that's not overwhelming. BP schedules coordinating Bible reading from Victor Journey Through the Bible or regular Bible passages, lessons from either MOH or SOTW, and chapters from their BP Companion as the main "classtime" readings. You could still pull in some of the extras from MOH in place of some BP items - for ex., I like the MOH coloring pages better than BP's, but we combine the timeline figure sets and still use the MOH challenge cards. Each week I pick which map I like best from MOH, BP, or SOTW. But I am using it w/ a grammar stage dc and a logic stage dc.

Biblioplan is exactly what it's name implies - a book plan. It schedules additional historical literature for independent student reading and family read-alouds. If you're using another literature program, you'll probably have to pick and choose between the two as you go, or just pick one program to follow for lit. While I *want* us to read all the books on many, many lists, there just isn't time. Take a look at their site, if you haven't, to get a feel for the types of books they use.

You could do their main history lesson and ignore some/all of the book recommendations, or use other pieces of it in a mix'n'match way of your own. ChrissySC's schedule is very good, and had I not already purchased BP, I might have just used that. I was looking to weave Biblical/Christian history into "regular" history (for lack of better words, but ykwim), while retaining a framework from which we can do WTM logic-stage history, outlines and all.

ETA: The one way I see BP simplifying MOH is this: when using MOH alone, up to 3 separate, sometimes unrelated topics are studied each week. So, instead of having 1 map, 1 project, 1 set of facts to remember, etc. for the week, you have 3. BP groups topics together by civilization, era, nation, etc., so that you are studying the same theme all week. The info. BP adds to MOH from the other scheduled resources sometimes adds to the theme, making it about more than 1 thing, but still related. This is not the norm, but happens in a handful of weeks where the topic is "multi-layer". (I'm making this up for example): Egyptians, Moses, Exodus, & Pyramids. Even with a combined, multi-layer weekly topic like this, you still only need 1 of each "piece" you choose to use: map, project, add'l history reading, add'l history-related literature, outline, set of timeline figures, coloring page, etc. Let me know if I'm not coming across clearly amongst all my words. These are insomniac ramblings, but I hope they help.

ETA again: My original comment about just using straight MOH would be less intense by far than mixing it w/ BP, IMO. If you just read the main lesson - they're only 1-6 pgs. depending on what level you're on - and have them do the types of history activities you've chosen: narrate/write about it, look up bits that interest them (or him/her), do a map or study that area in an atlas, do your timeline, and listen to corresponding audio CD's (or even listen to the main lesson on CD), that's enough. MOH has some coordinated Bible readings in an appendix in the back, and add'l book suggestions too. You can skip those guilt-free as the core knowledge is the main lesson. I view all the parts & pieces as optional, like a buffet. You don't have to do the quizzes, tests, and challenge cards at all, or you can do them orally and with a bit more freedom (just games for the cards). I forgot what grade(s) you dc is (are), sorry. While I'm typing it won't let me see that.

Edited by Annabel Lee

... And not to throw another wrench into the works, but had you considered Beautiful Feet's Ancient History?

We are doing BF's History of Science this year. They use a literature-heavy, notebooking approach that combines a little cut/pasting, drawing, copywork, and writing that we find makes it easier to get in our reading, art, writing-across-the-curriculum, and in this case, science (but in your case, history).

If you buy the packet, you get a timeline, the books, and the guide. (Science includes audio CDs, but it doesn't look like they have that for this History guide.) There are 68 lessons & they recommend you do 2-3 per week.

Good luck with your decision!

(Note: When we start over with Ancients next year, I'm going to have my littles do SOTW 1 & my oldest do either HO Level 2 or just bump her up with CHOLL's Literature Guides. Haven't decided yet.)

Tapestry of Grace has a strong UG or D program. Either could work for your child. They do inter weave Bible with history but you study the other cultures thoroughly, but they get you asking questions about how they all intersect. For instance, since Moses was raised in Egypt, you study that first and then when you study the books of the Bible Moses wrote you ask what do we see in these books that came from Egypt or is a rebuke of Egypt and encouragement to the people who led out? It's very interesting.

Hello!

Can anyone recommend a fantastic ancient history program for 5th grade? I am planning ahead for next year' date=' and I am stumped.

[list']

[*]We truly respect TWTM, but the Kingfisher spine that is the only recommendation bored both DD and me to tears. We're not doing that.

[*]We have done SOTW up to this point, this year mixing in the fabulous Veritas Press. But SOTW ends, and VP doesn't start Ancients again until 7th grade. Grrr.

[*]We stumbled on Diana Waring CDs, and we really enjoyed them. But her samples seem to focus too much on the Bible, at kind of a surface level, with not enough on the rest of the period's history. We may get the CDs, and the activity book, but I'm not excited about the full curriculum.

[*]Mystery of History looked great, and I like the writing and games. But it seems WAY too intense. With all the things we're doing, at home and away, we just don't have three to five days a week to devote to reading, testing, and activities each day. I can see us falling behind very quickly, and my stress levels building. UGH!

Lisa

YES!! Heart of Dakota's ancients guide!! Sounds like it is just what you are looking for :)

To the people who use MOH & Biblioplan, it looked like (from viewing the samples) that they weren't scheduling all of MOH in the schedule. Do they schedule every lesson of MOH in 1 year?

BP Year 1 uses all of MOH 1 except for 1 lesson, unless I miscounted, in which case it does use it all. It also uses the beginning of MOH 2. BP's schedule lists MOH by week with the individual lesson title, not the individual lesson number. So on the BP schedule, it might read "MOH 1 - Week 35 "Jesus, His Teaching and Miracles" instead of "MOH Lesson 103".

BP does put MOH in a slightly different order. I went through them side-by-side, line-by-line & wrote out the order in which BP does MOH for my own purposes after purchasing both.

I know this is an "old" thread, but I just read through the samples of Harmony of History (Curiosity Academic Press) and it's so good I can't even find the right words to describe it w/o going on for a whole page. It's problem-solving-based learning, including games & discussions, and does the whole "chronological" thing in a slightly different way - the way things happened, which was simultaneously. The spine is Oxford's The World in Ancient Times series. It looks like it will add fun, interest, and some serious learning to our current lineup.

Well, if you're looking for books to read, rather than a full curriculum, I'd look at that Oxford set for the Ancient World. Someone just posted about it recently. It has been on sale for just $35!

ETA: Here's the link:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317984&highlight=history+of+the+ancient+world

Edited by mcconnellboys

Hello!

[list']

Lisa

Heart of Dakota's CTC? Even if you just use the books and not the whole program