Menu

How often do your kids brush teeth?

How often do your kids brush their teeth?  

1. 1. How often do your kids brush their teeth?

• Once a day
    • Twice a day
    • Three times a day
    • Other

I voted "other". One kids brushes twice a day (or only once if I forget to do a morning reminder). The other brushes three times a day (woodwind instrument player, was told to brush before playing to keep the keys/pads/etc. from getting nasty from leftover food bits).

I will admit that my kids usually only brush once a day. Embarrassing, but true. They see a dentist twice a year and have no cavities, so that's something, right?

That's okay with me as long as it's at night. Really don't see the need to brush in the morning - only for bad breath. One of my kids (the allergic one) doesn't even use toothpaste - just an electric toothbrush. To me, flossing is much more important. Still no cavities so I'm happy.

Dh or I brush the boys teeth before bed. Their dentist recommends parents brush until they are around 8ish years old. We are just now starting to work on a morning routine with them where they will brush their own teeth so they will be at twice a day soon. I'm satisfied with that.

We brush all of our kids teeth before bed. In the morining I have them brush their own when I remember.

:iagree: Exactly. I let both brush their own in the am since they aren't really removing much, but I noticed lately they are skipping it more than I thought. At night I do D's and visually watch K do hers. Both are high risk for cavities, but neither has had them in the past few years since adding the pH mouthwash.

I am surprised how many people say they brush AFTER breakfast. Has me wondering if there are cultural differences in this? Over here, if you eat/drink before brushing it is called having "bed tea" or "bed coffee" but by far it is expected that you will brush prior to breakfast, not after.

When they were young - twice a day

Now- before bed every night. Oh, and of course right before we leave to go to their dental appt!!

Sometimes I tell them - go brush, during the day, if their breath stinks. Our of the 4 kids - 2 seem to have smellier breath - ??

At their ages now, I try to motivate them to think about taking care of themselves - and the impact that their stinky breath, BO etc will have on those around them.

Sometimes after eating something pugnent (hummus for example) I'll mention brushing.

I am surprised how many people say they brush AFTER breakfast. Has me wondering if there are cultural differences in this? Over here, if you eat/drink before brushing it is called having "bed tea" or "bed coffee" but by far it is expected that you will brush prior to breakfast, not after.

Interesting. Do you also brush before bed? Because if you brush before bed, I can't quite see the point in brushing *before* breakfast, as there shouldn't be any new food or anything on your teeth. You're right, it must be a cultural thing.

Interesting. Do you also brush before bed? Because if you brush before bed, I can't quite see the point in brushing *before* breakfast, as there shouldn't be any new food or anything on your teeth. You're right, it must be a cultural thing.

I don't see how anyone could *not* brush their teeth in the morning. My mouth tastes...not good...when I wake up in the morning (or even after an afternoon nap). My oral health is top-notch, so it's not like I have cavities or gingivitis stinking up my mouth. I can't imagine not brushing in the morning.

I think the vast majority of Americans do brush every morning, though perhaps not before breakfast.

Twice a day here, although if it's the day before a dental check up it's about 29 times a day :D We also brush after breakfast - I never knew people brushed before! Doesn't it make the breakfast taste funny?

Well, my son has certainly learned to make sure he rinses well before drinking his mango juice! :lol:

I guess we feel that getting that yucky morning taste out of your mouth is better done before you eat than after. Also, over night lots of bacteria would have been active in your mouth (I think) and you don't want to swallow those down with your breakfast. :tongue_smilie: