Menu

This next week is going to be a challenge for me.

Ria

My dh is leaving tomorrow for a 9-day trip to India. In 26 years he's only ever had to travel a few times. Travel is going to be more frequent now; many times I'll be able to go with him, but the 1-week notice for this trip meant $3k for a plane ticket for me....no way.

He completes me. He's my best friend. He gives me strength and comforts me when I worry about ds (I did get a call from Afghanistan this morning!!!). I really wish he didn't have to go.

I'm just a little freaked out. :(

It is nice to know we are not alone!

My DH is also gone for weeks. Reading this thread reminds me how we need to take care of ourselves when parenting alone. I don't mean this in a selfish way.

For me, I need a jog! This am the boys rode their bikes and I ran around the block, now we can all sit down and get our work done, and we have done PE!

Hugs to everyone!

I'm really sorry! :grouphug:

Dh and I are also best friends, soul mates. Neither of us function very well when he travels. I don't sleep, he doesn't sleep, ugh...

Last week he was gone for seven days. On day five he called and asked if I'd mind making the very LONG drive down to be with him. He was in seminars in the mornings and then studying for another level of Oracle certification at night. I agreed, packed a bag, left 20 year old dd in charge, and hopped into the car. It was a long trip down for just two days, but it worked for him. He could finally get some sleep and his practice test scores went through the roof....he'd been pulling only 80-83% on his practice tests - something that very much bothered his magna cum laude type A personality. That evening I sat on the bed writing up some art history questions and writing prompts for ds along with perusing a new archaeology book, and he studied. We didn't interact much at all, but he got a 98% on his practice exam!

So, I hear ya, I really do and I'm sorry you can't go along. India would be SUCH a neat area of the world to explore! :grouphug:

Faith

Ria, I completely understand. :grouphug: My dh doesn't travel very often, maybe twice per year, and when he does it's within the United States. Still, I am completely thrown off for the 10 days or so that he's gone each time.

My friend lost her dh suddenly and was left with 7 dc, some of them young. In helping her through that time, I gained a little perspective I didn't have before.

As difficult as it is, I remind myself that it's possible that someday I will not have dh. He would want me to still be functional and able to carry on if that happens. I now use the time while he's gone to sort of...practice how I would need to go on if he weren't here. Does that sound morbid? :001_huh: Well, yes, I guess it does. What I really mean though, is that I use the times dh is gone to teach myself how to appreciate life even when he's not here. I look for the small joys--having the tv remote to myself (even though I don't watch much! :tongue_smilie:), cooking & eating foods that I normally don't because they're not dh's preference, finding more time for prayer & quiet contemplation, going to a movie or dinner with a friend. I know my dh would want me to be able to enjoy that, should something happen to him, so I make a special point of practicing now.

My dh is leaving tomorrow for a 9-day trip to India. In 26 years he's only ever had to travel a few times. Travel is going to be more frequent now; many times I'll be able to go with him, but the 1-week notice for this trip meant $3k for a plane ticket for me....no way.

He completes me. He's my best friend. He gives me strength and comforts me when I worry about ds (I did get a call from Afghanistan this morning!!!). I really wish he didn't have to go.

I'm just a little freaked out. :(

:grouphug::grouphug:

I'm really sorry! :grouphug:

Dh and I are also best friends, soul mates. Neither of us function very well when he travels. I don't sleep, he doesn't sleep, ugh...

Last week he was gone for seven days. On day five he called and asked if I'd mind making the very LONG drive down to be with him. He was in seminars in the mornings and then studying for another level of Oracle certification at night. I agreed, packed a bag, left 20 year old dd in charge, and hopped into the car. It was a long trip down for just two days, but it worked for him. He could finally get some sleep and his practice test scores went through the roof....he'd been pulling only 80-83% on his practice tests - something that very much bothered his magna cum laude type A personality. That evening I sat on the bed writing up some art history questions and writing prompts for ds along with perusing a new archaeology book, and he studied. We didn't interact much at all, but he got a 98% on his practice exam!

So, I hear ya, I really do and I'm sorry you can't go along. India would be SUCH a neat area of the world to explore! :grouphug:

Faith

Awww! That's such a great story.

That's Dh and I. We've been apart fewer than 5 times in 17 years and we are a wreck when it happens. I never sleep, he doesn't sleep. Ugh.

That said, I know I have no room to complain when military wives sacrifice so much.

:grouphug: Ria.

:grouphug: My friend and I were just talking about dhs leaving this morning. We were both Navy wives, so there were many times we had to send off our dhs. It never got easier. My dh is my sanity keeper. When he is gone I tend to lose it. Just thinking about the times he left makes me tear up.

I hope your week flies by. I hope you find good chocolate to keep you company.

RegularDad is starting to have to travel a lot for work. He's currently on a 2-week trip 2,000 miles away. We have 2 dogs now, and that really helps me go to sleep. I let them listen for all those strange noises on my behalf. And we also sent along an extra laptop and webcam with RegularDad. We skype almost daily, and it makes a big difference, just being able to see each other.

The girls are out of sorts still, and we're all much more tired than usual, of course, and it's not the SAME by any stretch, but it is better than not skyping at all.

Funny story: when we skyped the first evening, the dogs went crazy looking for him. One of them came dashing up the stairs, tail wagging like a maddog, looking everywhere for him. She could hear him, but she just could NOT figure out where he was. Yeah... he's definitely missed.

Hang in there.

We have 2 dogs now, and that really helps me go to sleep. I let them listen for all those strange noises on my behalf. And we also sent along an extra laptop and webcam with RegularDad. We skype almost daily, and it makes a big difference, just being able to see each other.

Hang in there.

:iagree:

My dh travels every week for work. He is gone from Monday to Thursday. I don't think I would sleep at all without the dogs. Skype is also a godsend.