Menu

If you had this, and wanted to make soup...

what would you do with it? I have an abundance of:

cauliflower

potatoes

bell peppers

leeks

celery

carrots

hamburger

roasted chickens

about 10,000 varieties of sausage (slight exaggeration)

I don't have to use all of this in one shot, but I want to make soup. I do have all the usual other ingredients on hand. I've been canning garden produce and making sausage for 2 weeks straight. I'm too tired to be creative at the moment. I'm just staring at this stuff and I'm stumped for ideas.

Help?

cauliflower

potatoes

bell peppers

leeks

celery

carrots

hamburger

roasted chickens

Hm, to start:

cottage pie

chicken pot pie

potato leek soup

stuffed peppers

cauliflower is great mashed or in Indian food

bell pepper and carrot soup

Zuppa Toscana copycat:

1 lb Italian sausage (I like hot sausage)

2 large russet baking potatoes, sliced in half, and then in 1/4 inch slices

1 large onion, chopped

1/4 cup bacon bit (optional)

2 garlic cloves, minced

2 cups kale or 2 cups swiss chard, chopped

2 (8 ounce) cans chicken broth

1 quart water

1 cup heavy whipping cream

Chop or slice uncooked sausage into small pieces.

Brown sausage in your soup pot.

Add chicken broth and water to pot and stir.

Place onions, potatoes, and garlic in pot.

Cook on medium heat until potatoes are done.

Add sausage and bacon.

Salt and pepper to taste.

Simmer for another 10 minutes.

Turn to low heat.

Add kale and cream.

Heat through and serve.

This is the recipe straight from the Internet. It's VERY versatile though. Flavorful sausage, potatoes, broth, and cream are the most important. I usually use spinach instead of kale because I keep it on hand. Also, I think peppers would be really good in this. I wouldn't fear replacing onions with leeks.

Then again, it is getting cool enough to consider GUMBO :-)

Edited by KungFuPanda

Italian Sausage Soup (one of my family's faves)

1 large can of V8 or vegetable juice

1.5-2 pounds of sausage

any and all types of veggies (except potatoes) in whatever quantity you want several tablespoons of italian seasoning

Cook and drain the sausage. Put V8 in a large soup pot and add 4-6 cups of water. Add veggies and seasoning. Cook until veggies are soft.

This is a large recipe that can be altered however you want. It is very versatile. I usually add garbanzos, cabbage, carrots, zucchini, broccoli or cauliflower, kidney beans, and sometimes snap peas in the pod. And it is delicious with beer bread.

I don't use recipes for soup but I think sausage, potato and leek soup sounds very good.

BY the way could you post some sausage recipes? I've always wanted to make it but the couple of times I tried it turned out very bland.

I've made a cauliflower, sausage, cheese soup that my family loved. It had carrots and onions and other veggies in it too. I tried to find the recipe I used, but couldn't ... there are a bunch of recipes out there, though.

It's okay if you don't have a recipe. Just the ideas are a huge help. I'm fresh out of creative brainpower. Thank you!

Oh... I will post a couple of sausage recipes later when I have more time. My dh makes up all the recipes for all the pork products. It's his specialty. I will ask him what he wouldn't mind sharing. He does all kinds of fresh and smoked sausages, hams and bacon.

cauliflower - roast in in the oven with olive oil and seasoning OR boil and puree with butter and salt

Put the bolded into a soup with a chicken stock base, some sauteed garlic and salt/pepper:

potatoes

leeks

celery

carrots

roasted chickens

I don't have to use all of this in one shot, but I want to make soup. I do have all the usual other ingredients on hand. I've been canning garden produce and making sausage for 2 weeks straight. I'm too tired to be creative at the moment. I'm just staring at this stuff and I'm stumped for ideas.

Help?

bell peppers - eat in salad and serve with soup OR perhaps an omelet with the sausage.

hamburger - make crock pot meatballs (either Italian or bbq)

cauliflower

potatoes

bell peppers

leeks

celery

carrots

hamburger

roasted chickens

Help?

I would saute the leeks, celery and some garlic, add chicken broth & deboned roasted chicken, your cauliflower and carrots, some little sausage meatballs and maybe some pasta at the end.

For your bell peppers and potatoes: My husband loves sauteed sausage links with julienned bell peppers and onions and fried potatoes.

Edited by Abigail4476

I would take all the meat off one of the chickens and use the carcass to make broth, I think you mentioned having a pressure cooker? It can be done pretty quick in those.

Then I would add carrots, leeks, celery, herbs, garlic and cook it a bit, add homemade noodles (or potatoes, or pasta, or rice) and then chop up the chicken and add it at the very end

Or...start with broth then Roast the leeks a bit chop and toss in pot, dice a bit of carrots and celery very fine then toss them in the pot with potatoes, herbs...maybe add some dairy at the end (or fake dairy is also nice) I always squash the potatoes up a bit so the starch makes it thicker.

You could add some ham or (cooked separately sausage) at the very end. I think bacon would be better but I am bacon biased.

Do you have any greens? You could probably make some Italian wedding soup.

I quite like this soup, it is one of my favorites.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/chicken_spinach_pesto_soup.html

For your bell peppers and potatoes: My husband loves sauteed sausage links with julienned bell peppers and onions and fried potatoes.

Yes, my dh likes that sort of thing as well.

Or just the peppers, onions and sausage fried and served over rice/noodles

Edited by Sis

I made 2 soups today. Thanks for all the suggestions and please keep 'em coming. I need it!

I made one with sausage ends, so it's not one kind of sausage, it's 7 or 8 different kinds. I needed to use them so.... they went in with some peppers, tomatoes, and leeks and onions. Sort of a version of sausage and peppers in a soup. I made 30 quarts and canned 28 of them. We ate the other 2 for lunch. Ds's friends who were over for lunch loved it. The rest of us thought it was pretty good, too.

For supper I made cauliflower, potato, leek and cheese soup -- a creamy kind. It was awesome.

Tomorrow I will try to do something with the hamburger. I am planning to make several meatloaves to freeze. I might try doing the meatball soup suggestion using the meatloaf mixture.

My dh offered these 2 sausage recipes. Neither of them need to be smoked. You can make them either as bulk sausage or stuffed into casings. The maple one goes better in casings, IMO. The names are just what we call them. You can call them anything you like.

Spicy sausage that is not Italian sausage

5 kg ground pork

1/3 c. salt

2 T cayenne pepper

1 T ground black pepper

1 T hot red pepper flakes, crushed

1 T coriander

Combine all spices before mixing well into pork.

Real maple sausage

5 kg ground pork

2 c. pure maple syrup

1/3 c. salt

1 T coriander

½ c. chopped fresh parsley

Combine spices and syrup before mixing well into pork.

I made 2 soups today. Thanks for all the suggestions and please keep 'em coming. I need it!

Sort of a version of sausage and peppers in a soup. I made 30 quarts and canned 28 of them.

I'm assuming it was pressure canned? I'm very new to canning and no experience with pressure canning but I thought you had to use approved recipes for safe canning. It sounds like you made your own recipe so how to you figure out how to do that safely?

My dh offered these 2 sausage recipes. Neither of them need to be smoked. You can make them either as bulk sausage or stuffed into casings. The maple one goes better in casings, IMO. The names are just what we call them. You can call them anything you like.

Tell him thank you. I've got a 1/2 a pig coming in November so I'm looking forward to trying to make some sausage with the ground pork.

Thanks!

I have a pressure canner, yes. For canning soups, you have to have some acid in it. The soup I made had tomatoes. I don't use the recipes in the books. I like to live on the edge. :lol: Don't take me as the bible of canning, please, though. I use the times suggested in the book that came with the canner. I've canned hundreds of quarts of many varieties of soups and never had a problem. I am told, by some old gals, that it is possible to can cream based soups, but I've never tried. I stick to my grandmother's rules on that (the acid rule).

cauliflower

potatoes

bell peppers

leeks

celery

carrots

hamburger

roasted chickens

Help?

I would make sausage and pasta (I make it with broccoli florets too but that wasn't on your list).

Chicken soup

Hamburger soup

potato soup

We eat cauliflower steamed sometimes with cheese on top so I wouldn't do anything with that. Although if you manage to get a butternut squash you could make a really good butternut squash soup and put the cauliflower in it.

Stuffed peppers.

I made one with sausage ends, so it's not one kind of sausage, it's 7 or 8 different kinds. I needed to use them so.... they went in with some peppers, tomatoes, and leeks and onions. Sort of a version of sausage and peppers in a soup. I made 30 quarts and canned 28 of them. We ate the other 2 for lunch. Ds's friends who were over for lunch loved it. The rest of us thought it was pretty good, too.

For supper I made cauliflower, potato, leek and cheese soup -- a creamy kind. It was awesome.

Tomorrow I will try to do something with the hamburger. I am planning to make several meatloaves to freeze. I might try doing the meatball soup suggestion using the meatloaf mixture.

Spicy sausage that is not Italian sausage

5 kg ground pork

1/3 c. salt

2 T cayenne pepper

1 T ground black pepper

1 T hot red pepper flakes, crushed

1 T coriander

Combine all spices before mixing well into pork.

Real maple sausage

5 kg ground pork

2 c. pure maple syrup

1/3 c. salt

1 T coriander

½ c. chopped fresh parsley

Combine spices and syrup before mixing well into pork.

That all sounds delicious!

cauliflower

potatoes

bell peppers

leeks

celery

carrots

hamburger

roasted chickens

Help?

Mulligatawny!!

You could use: cauliflower, potatoes, bell pepper, leeks, celery, carrot, and chicken.

:D

Oh my gosh.... it's so crazy good!! Think spicy coconut veggie soup.

There's a lot of versions out there, here's mine:

Here's how I do it: a few potatoes peeled cut into big pieces

a few carrots peeled chopped

1 or 2 tomato cut into large pieces

any veggies you like. I use any of the following

red or yellow bell pepper, mushrooms, cauliflower washed chopped

generous amount of fresh ginger chopped/minced

onion chopped

garlic chopped

pink lentils dry

a few bay leaves

tumeric

cumin

chili powder

lemon juiced, seeds removed

cilantro, washed chopped

coconut milk from can (light not as good)

salt/pepper

I use a vegan chicken broth

whole dried red chili

crusty hard baguette torn or cut into small pieces

sometimes I pan fry all the veggies first to bring out the flavor, and to give the potato and carrot a chance to soften up.

I coat them in tumeric, salt and cumin to start the flavor.

In a large pot with water and oil, add veggies in order of which veggies take the longest to cook.

add spices(teaspoon of this teaspoon of that until you get it right) add chili powder to taste

When all veggies are added, add a handful or two of lentils.

I usually add some powdered vegan chicken broth, but it doesn't necessarily need c. broth though because the coconut milk is so rich.

Throw in the bay leaves, and lemon juice

cook on very low until lentils are done 20-30 minutes

add coconut milk 1/2 can, then to taste

salt pepper to taste

fry whole chili in a little pan with plenty of oil

garnish with cilantro, bread, chili, and chili oil

yummy!

The most important thing is to make sure the hard veggies get cooked all the way though, so you have to be timing it out right according to how big you cut up potato and carrot.

You can use most of the vegetables if you add water and a thickener like beans, lentils or barley. Also I would want garlic and/or onions for flavor. Then add chicken pieces, if you want it, or cooked sausage. I wouldn't put hamburger in a soup unless you're making some sort of chili.