Menu

DD needs to sing a simple song for an audition....

Matters a lot for song selection.

My recommendations--- Nothing from Annie (way overdone) as well as --sorry--Popular from Wicked or Les Mes.

A nice one I've heard is I can hear the bells from Hairspray

Edited to offer from my musical theater child of 5 years---The Unbirthday song from Alice in Wonderland, Change in me Beauty and Beast, Do Re Me sound of Music, Actually she said Annies You're never dressed without a s-m-i-l-e works if you use attitude, Don't rain on my parade, Once upon a December from Anastacia,You're a Good Man Charlie Brown---Lucy-My new philosophy (funny),Good Morning Baltimore,

Edited by homeschoolin'mygirls

What is she auditioning for?

That makes a difference. A youth choir? Community theatre? American Idol(:tongue_smilie:)?

ETA:

Castle on a Cloud (Les Mis) is a safe bet (unless this is a religious group). It's easy/natural to sing in a nice light head voice (which is likely wanted from a 13yo).

Edited by 3blessingmom

Popular is actually a very diffucult song, and should not be aung by a 13 year old for an audition. What is the show she is auditions for. It is good to match the style of song for the audition with the show.

There are a lot of great songs for her. Does she want/need and upbeat or ballad?

I teach and direct musical theatre and have an MA in theatre. I can help you out with a little more info :)

Popular is actually a very diffucult song, and should not be aung by a 13 year old for an audition. What is the show she is auditions for. It is good to match the style of song for the audition with the show.

There are a lot of great songs for her. Does she want/need and upbeat or ballad?

I teach and direct musical theatre and have an MA in theatre. I can help you out with a little more info :)

I'd love some suggestions. My dd8 is in CYT and they do three shows per year (currently doing Annie). She is always looking for good ideas to audition with. They suggest songs that are *fun* and upbeat. Any specific ideas for her for future auditions?

I'd love some suggestions. My dd8 is in CYT and they do three shows per year (currently doing Annie). She is always looking for good ideas to audition with. They suggest songs that are *fun* and upbeat. Any specific ideas for her for future auditions?

There is a musical called "Snoopy:The Musical". It has some great fun, upbeat songs that my dd9 loves to use for auditions. It is available on Itunes for download to listen.

http://www.cytchicago.org/audition_songideas

We're with CYT Chicago so I understand your pain! Since she's so young, they're not really expecting her to research the show and choose a song in the show's style. If you're in it for the long haul it might help to spend a few months with a voice teacher JUST picking songs in her range and making a cd of those cuts. The voice teachers that work with our CYT kids are awesome- they record their accompaniment or cut the karaoke track so the student has a practice cd in her range.

Annie is such a fun show- I bet she's having a blast!

http://www.cytchicago.org/audition_songideas

We're with CYT Chicago so I understand your pain! Since she's so young, they're not really expecting her to research the show and choose a song in the show's style. If you're in it for the long haul it might help to spend a few months with a voice teacher JUST picking songs in her range and making a cd of those cuts. The voice teachers that work with our CYT kids are awesome- they record their accompaniment or cut the karaoke track so the student has a practice cd in her range.

Annie is such a fun show- I bet she's having a blast!

She is loving it. This is her third show and she's now addicted. She had signed up for the Voice class, but then she was cast as an orphan and they moved all orphans to their own tap class! I think we will meet with a voice coach for a little while, just to help her find her voice and be able to project more. Also, she needs to learn to put more acting into her on-stage audition :)

For future reference, choose a song from a character close to her age. A few years older or younger is fine, but don't have a young child sing a song with mature themes. It makes casting directors and directors uncomfortable.

Choose songs that are musical, not speaking oriented. Upbeat is great, but act with the song. It's great to have several songs prepared and then choose something similar to the role you want. Don't use constantly overdone songs!

Most directors will really want to hear songs from musicals, rather than songs from the radio. They will want to see acting with vocal ability.

Know you've already gone - and we'll be looking for an update - but it is much better to choose a simple song and nail it than to try to impress with a hard melody and give a mediocre performance. A solid audition gets your foot in the door; call-backs are when you show 'em what you're really made of.

Shirley Temple songs are great for her age. "An Old Straw Hat" is a great choice. It is upbeat, simple and fun to perform.

Thanks Eveyone!!!

She ended up picking out a Mandy Moore song from Walk to Remember....

Her audition is in an hour...YIKES!

Faithe

I hope her audition went well. It is definitely better to go with a song from a musical. But I know it is easier to go with a song you know. Next time, you have some suggestions to look at before the audition. :001_smile: