Menu

What do you tell your CHILDREN about learning Latin?

Ellyndria

So, I've seen the threads about, "Why Latin?" but those are usually aimed at giving explanations to another adult.

What do you tell your children about learning Latin, if they ask why they have to learn it? In other words, how do you sell them on the idea or get them excited about it?

I have not talked about it with DS yet, but I am looking at getting Song School Latin in the next year or so, or maybe Minimus.

See, one problem is he doesn't really like to sing or repeat things, especially not repeat things in another language (we have done a little Spanish at his request, but even then he didn't want to say the stuff without much prodding). However, when we have songs from other things (from math, Spanish, Kindermusik, etc.) I *will* hear him humming or singing these songs when he is playing.

Anyway, I was thinking that a possible selling point for him might be that he will not really be expected to converse in Latin at the end of it all (although there might be a bit for practice?) but mainly read and translate it. I have also considered telling him that it's almost like a secret code because not too many people know Latin anymore. I need more ideas than this though.

So what have you told your kids when they ask why they need to learn Latin?

My dd hasn't asked why but she knows it's on the schedule and accepts it. However, yesterday when we were studying science I pointed out the Latin names of things and mentioned that she is going to learn how to read them. When we see hymns with Latin in them (Adeste Fideles for example) I point out the Latin. I also act real excited and mention that I am going to be learning it WITH her.

We just started Prima Latina so we will see if my techniques work or if she will balk at the program.

I think the secret code idea is great! Does Indiana Jones use Latin in The Last Crusade? Maybe he would want to relate to an adventurer like Indy.

We are entering our 3rd year of latin. My children begin at age 7 or so and continue on and off until graduating. Around here it is simply something that is on their schedule like history or math. Part of life. I've had a few children grumble a time or two and they know the alternative. Pages and pages of memorizing vocabulary words. Or, they can do latin. They choose latin.

We just started prima Latina 3 weeks ago. We have memorized dome Latin facts from classical conversations, so it was an easy transition. I never said why, just that we were starting Latin. There is a book we will

be reading from Veritas press, (can't think of title at the

moment), but I believe it had a mystery that involved Latin sayings. We will

be reading that in a few weeks, looked interesting. Maybe Out of Darkness?

Well, they've both liked Minimus so far. DS7 has wanted to start since last year, he's always happy to get to his Latin workbox. They didn't like the sample of SSL, so if you don't think your kid will like it, don't buy it. There is plenty of time.

But it's part of the schedule here too. I do tell DS9 that it will help him understand new words. I'd make it a privilege - when you ____________, we'll start Latin.

I give them some of the same reasons given in those answers geared towards adults, and given in TWTM. I don't think they yet realize that not many people speak it, though (sneaky mommy!). My 5th gr. ds preferred to learn it over Spanish to start out with this year since I told him learning Latin can make learning some other languages easier (and I told him which ones). I agree w/ the above poster's point about the choice between Latin or loads of vocabulary - it streamlines nicely.

Well originally, I told them we were learning Latin because

1) like most learning, it stretches your brain

2) it helps us understand English etymology and grammar

3) it's a good basis for learning the Romance languages

4) it's easier to learn than modern foreign languages because it doesn't change

5) it's pretty cool knowing a language that not many of their peers know

6) general language learning opens many doors - today's world is a small, connected place

And recently, a friend of DD12 asked her why she learned Latin; her simple response was: "Because I love learning languages!" :D

We just started prima Latina 3 weeks ago. We have memorized dome Latin facts from classical conversations, so it was an easy transition. I never said why, just that we were starting Latin. There is a book we will

be reading from Veritas press, (can't think of title at the

moment), but I believe it had a mystery that involved Latin sayings. We will

be reading that in a few weeks, looked interesting. Maybe Out of Darkness?

The book is Hostage Lands by Douglas Bond. An elementary age Latin student discovers an ancient roman manuscript and has to translate it to uncover the mystery.

The book is Hostage Lands by Douglas Bond. An elementary age Latin student discovers an ancient roman manuscript and has to translate it to uncover the mystery.

Thank you! It's going on my wish list! :D

One thing I told my daughter was that for thousands of years, across much of the world, the most educated people learned Latin. So learning Latin gives her a connection to a lot of the most educated people in history.

I'm going to use this!

In my head, I tell them "Sit down, shut up, and just do it already!" :lol:

My girls are dancers, and I tell them Latin is a workout for their brains.

Sometimes I talk about vocabulary boosting.

Most of the time when the oldest is asking "why Latin," she isn't in the mood to listen to anything, so I could start singing The Flintstones Song, and she wouldn't notice! :tongue_smilie:

I'm in a hurry and haven't read the whole thread so hopefully this isn't redundant or irrelevant. I guess I wouldn't try to give a logical argument to a kid about it. Ds enjoys Latin. If he didn't, I would talk about it from the perspective of de-coding. He loves those puzzle books with the coded messages, so I would draw an analogy like that. We also play Rummy Roots which I think can be fun while helping a kid see the practical application of Latin. (Of course, there are lots of other reasons why we are learning Latin, but I don't think my list would impress ds much.)

One thing I told my daughter was that for thousands of years, across much of the world, the most educated people learned Latin. So learning Latin gives her a connection to a lot of the most educated people in history.

Just in the past month I've noticed that Alice (in Wonderland) and Edmund (in Narnia books) were both complaining about Latin lessons.

It IS a connection which even lasted through modern times. I love that :)

The end of SOTW1 has a chapter that talks about some of our words that come from Latin. My son thought that was so cool. Plus, he loved ancient Rome and is excited to know that Latin was their language. And finally, last year I tried to have us learn a little Spanish using Hop, Skip, and Sing Spanish and I don't think we learned very much. Then I ordered Song School Latin and he memorized all the songs in a month. So I think how the material is presented and how easy it is to learn makes a big difference. He says he likes Latin better than Spanish, but I think that's because it was a better program and he learned more.

Oh, the other thing is that kids love made-up funny-sounding words. I don't think he needs a reason to learn a new set of words that sound different. Now next year when we actually have to start tackling the grammer, maybe it will be a different story!

Well originally, I told them we were learning Latin because

1) like most learning, it stretches your brain

2) it helps us understand English etymology and grammar

3) it's a good basis for learning the Romance languages

4) it's easier to learn than modern foreign languages because it doesn't change

5) it's pretty cool knowing a language that not many of their peers know

6) general language learning opens many doors - today's world is a small, connected place

And recently, a friend of DD12 asked her why she learned Latin; her simple response was: "Because I love learning languages!" :D

:iagree: My student has a love/hate with Latin. During his not-love phases, he is prone to wondering aloud and incessently about why he has to waste his time learning a language nobody else even uses these days ... to which I reply #2, 3, and 4 from the list above. I also add in that Latin is found in many Christian churches, most notably his own (Catholic).

I also throw in the random "It's not like I enjoyed wiping your poopy bum for years, but it had to be done ... and so must Latin!" for added measure.

Now that my student is older and has more life experiences under his belt (:tongue_smilie:), he's seeing the benefit. It's taken time, though, for him to see the relevance (and even still, he will complain from time to time about having to learn it). He can decode unfamiliar words in the course of reading, he can correctly pronounce phrases found in larger culture (Semper Fi, words found on Christian emblems, school or government mottos, etc.), and he's connecting Latin roots with Spanish and French words that pop up in films, television, books, or just normal written correspondance.

So I sum it up with this: my job as your parent is to prepare you to have any door opened to you. If you choose to go through a door in which Latin, foreign romance languages, advanced vocabulary, or whatnot aren't useful ... that's okay, but it's a choice; it's not like you were stuck choosing that door because the others weren't available to you (whether through lesser academics or lower standardized test scores).

That doesn't change his general attitude, but he gets it.

DS6 watched Visual Latin's first (free) download lecture and he was sold ... we aren't using the program at the moment b/c it assumes/teaches a young earth theology in lecture 2, which is counter to what I'm teaching & I don't want to confuse him, but the first lecture did a nice sales job for Latin language ...