Menu

Colleges Will Now Only See the Lowest SAT Score?

A friend of mine went to a seminar last week and was told that taking the SAT repeatedly would no longer be beneficial to students. She said that rather than students being able to use their highest SAT score, only their lowest would count.

Has anyone heard anything about this? I am not exactly sure who gave the seminar, but I believe it was hosted by Classical Conversations.

Thanks!

Lisa

I think maybe she misunderstood. That certainly wouldn't benefit the College Board...they would prefer you take it as many times as possible $$$$ Here is the official word on score choice:

http://professionals.collegeboard.com/testing/sat-reasoning/scores/policy

I was hoping she misunderstood. Since I hadn't heard anything about it on this board, I had a hard time believing it was true.

Lisa

Isn't it hilarious how we trust "The Board" over our IRL friends?? I'm the same way sometimes though. If Abbeyej says it, it's gospel.

LOL! Yes! I really like this woman and she is usually a reliable source of information, but as she was telling me about the new SAT rules, I honestly thought there was no way it could be true since I hadn't heard it here.

Lisa

I know they used to take your best score on each section and submit that way. Do they still do that? For example: you take the test the first time and score 750 on math and 600 on verbal; second time you get 720 and 650. They take the 750 and the 650 to give you the highest possible composite score.

They did this when I was in high school...that was a while ago....

I know they used to take your best score on each section and submit that way. Do they still do that? For example: you take the test the first time and score 750 on math and 600 on verbal; second time you get 720 and 650. They take the 750 and the 650 to give you the highest possible composite score.

They did this when I was in high school...that was a while ago....

My understanding is that a student cannot "cherry pick" the best subtest scores and merge those into one submission to a college. For example, let's say a student has taken the SAT three times. The first time he obtains his highest Math score, the 2nd test yields him his highest Reading score, and his third test produces his highest Writing score. I don't think the student can say to the CB, "Take my Math score from test #1, Reading from test #2, and Writing from test #3 and submit that to the college as a single SAT score." I think was happens instead is that the student must submit all three individual tests to the college, and the college "superscores" the results. However, the colleges still see all test results from all three tests.

Is my understanding correct?

They have made some changes then, my ACT and SAT gave my highest composite to the colleges I selected.

I never made a 30 on the ACT at one sitting. My SAT equivalent was a 30 and my highest scores on ACT combined was a 30. I saw my admittance papers in my adviser's office while I was enrolling and it said my ACT was a 30....nice surprise :)

In addition to the issue that score choice may result in a lower combo score being reviewed by the school, you also deny the school the ability to see that a student took a couple of tests and and was able to really raise a score. Maybe my alma mater is odd in this respect, but they tend to look with some favor on someone who has recognized a weakness and put forth effort to correct it.

Not that someone taking the test five times and having one or two good scores across that field is good. But a trend of improvement would be taken favorably.

I also think that people may confuse how one college deals with scores with how College Board reports them (and with how all colleges handle them). My alma mater takes the best verbal and best math (across both SAT and ACT). Others take only the best combo. And I imagine there could be methods of averaging or taking only the most recent too.

Isn't it hilarious how we trust "The Board" over our IRL friends?? I'm the same way sometimes though. If Abbeyej says it, it's gospel.

Roflol! ;) I just looked it up, lol, that's all... ;)

The only difference I'm seeing is what others have said -- that you won't be able to combine subtests from different test dates into a single score. But still, an improved score could be selected to send to a college or university (though some may still want to see *all* scores).

Talk about a scam...that is how I look at them. Taking a test over and over and over again...the money the stress...the labeling that goes with what score you get...I hate it all. I really do. I have brillient kids who didn't test well on their SAT's. They're top in their class in college...SAT is a dirty word in this here family!

that each college will use the scores. Then a student can chose to report scores in the manner that works best with the way the college wishes to use the scores.

http://professionals.collegeboard.com/profdownload/sat-score-use-practices-list.pdf

This listing will tell you which colleges superscore, which ones require *all* test scores to be submitted, etc.

My understanding is that the student still has control over exactly which scores to report, with the caveat that if you chose to report scores for that date, every score from that date will be reported. So even if a school asks for all test results, it is up to the student to be honest and do so, by reporting all the dates on which they tested. The CB does not step in and make sure you have complied with a college's request.

Nope. Students can't superscore. They may be able to choose which score to send (as in which test date), but not individual pieces. A school might choose to "super score" if a student sends in multiple scores. Several schools we talked to did that.

Thanks. That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure.

So basically "superscoring" is the college equivalent to high school "grade inflation" since it raises the stats. of its admitted students thereby making the student body appear "smarter." ;)

that each college will use the scores. Then a student can chose to report scores in the manner that works best with the way the college wishes to use the scores.

http://professionals.collegeboard.com/profdownload/sat-score-use-practices-list.pdf

This listing will tell you which colleges superscore, which ones require *all* test scores to be submitted, etc.

My understanding is that the student still has control over exactly which scores to report, with the caveat that if you chose to report scores for that date, every score from that date will be reported. So even if a school asks for all test results, it is up to the student to be honest and do so, by reporting all the dates on which they tested. The CB does not step in and make sure you have complied with a college's request.

Scanning through the list, it looks like there are a relatively small number of schools asking for all scores (which the intro of the document from College Board says is up to the student to comply with but that CB won't police). (The schools that leap out at me are TAMU, CUNY, Rice and University of California Schools along with a lot of religious affiliated schools, technical institutes and community colleges. Not sure what the pattern - if there is one - might be.)

The rest seem to be split between highest sitting and highest section, with highest section appearing (without my actually counting it) to be more predominant.

So I'm going to be the cynic. It strikes me that the main beneficiary of this is the College Board, by encouraging students to sit for more tests than they might otherwise. If you request to have your scores withheld, do you then still get some free score reports after you get the results? Or do they also make more money by charging for the score report processing? (Reading their FAQ, it seems like the practice would be to use the free reports for schools or programs that you don't mind having see all scores. Then use score select to groom your score set to the remaining schools for which you are paying for reports. Even though that may violate the school's policy about wanting to see all scores.)

In summary (imho)

Highest section schools (No benefit at all to withholding scores).

Highest sitting schools (No benefit that I can see. They don't consider the lowest sitting anyway.)

All scores schools (CB tells you that they encourage you to comply with the schools' assertion that all scores are part of the admissions process, but they won't tell on you if you use their new process for withholding scores.)

I'll be really cynical and say that this question from the FAQ seems to put all the onus on the student for acting ethically.

Q: What if students do not abide by a college's or university's score-use practice?

A: As a matter of integrity, students are expected to follow college admissions policies, and the same is true with respect to a student's sending of test scores to colleges. Students are responsible for complying with the admissions requirements of the colleges, universities, and scholarship programs to which they apply.

I could see telling my kid to use Score Choice if they had taken an SAT at an unusually young age (like via a talent search) or if they had been physically sick or had some other disturbance for one test. On the other hand, I could see including the scores (to back up reports of having participated in a gifted program or possibly to show that the student had the grit to go back and do far better on a different test date).

It seems to me that the groups that benefit most from this are students who cherry pick score results (without complying with their colleges' policies) and the College Board (who can charge for more reports after the testing is done).

So basically "superscoring" is the college equivalent to high school "grade inflation" since it raises the stats. of its admitted students thereby making the student body appear "smarter." ;)

I don't think I'd look at it that way. Grade inflation is giving a student higher grades than they deserve. The highest score a student receives is the best score they earned. In some students' cases, it could have been a matter of chance, but for many other students, the improved scores are a matter of hours and hours of study so they do become better at content and the skills tested by the SAT, resulting in hgiher scores.

I don't think so. Superscoring is showing each student's best potential instead of taking a "lower" score due to perhaps what was an anomaly. Sometimes the curve on these tests is harsh and -2 one testing day can be a few points below -2 on another day. Other times there might have been "something" causing a lower score on one test, but not on others. It happens. The highest score on each section they receive is their best potential. Potential is really all SAT/ACT is supposed to show anyway - potential for doing well in college. We all know they aren't perfect tests. Superscoring is a way to aid their imperfection.

If you request to have your scores withheld, do you then still get some free score reports after you get the results? Or do they also make more money by charging for the score report processing? ...

I could see telling my kid to use Score Choice if they had taken an SAT at an unusually young age (like via a talent search)

I don't think you can send any scores to colleges free of charge after you have seen your scores. Another money making policy for the CB.

The scores of the tests taken during the middle school years (Talent Searches) are deleted from a students record at the end of each middle school year. A student enters high school with a "clean slate." (Provided the student did not submit a written request to the CB to have his middle school scores retained.)

No, because:

a) These tests are supposed to show aptitude (ie. the future) not whether or not the student had a headache, was sick, had a game the night before, etc (Of course, an argument could be made that all the test prep negates the whole purpose of the test but that is another subject for another thread)

b) Transcripts are supposed to show effort (ie. the past)

I don't think so. Superscoring is showing each student's best potential instead of taking a "lower" score due to perhaps what was an anomaly.

My point was just that if you compare the stats of today's college bound kids with those students' stats prior to superscoring, it would appear that today's college bound kids have higher test scores - hence the grade inflation comparison.

Just to take an extreme example: I don't think that a perfect SAT score today represents the same level of achievement as a perfect SAT score prior to superscoring since today's student can potentially use the scores from 3 separate tests to achieve that perfect score.

because she wanted to...

She wanted to raise her score to meet criteria at her college to get additional scholarships.

The school received all three full test scores. They saw what she made on each section each and every time and took the highest from each category. They gave her the benefit of doing better from one time to the next (well, not on math ;)), and she was able to supplement her athletic scholarship with enough money that we do not have to contribute anything. That was her goal...to get her college paid for so we would not have to bear that burden...which we couldn't do anyway because of dh's lower salary at his current job.

She studied hard on her own to raise her score...I think she deserved the scores whether it was on the first try or the third...and the school thought so too...

just our experience...:)

Just to take an extreme example: I don't think that a perfect SAT score today represents the same level of achievement as a perfect SAT score prior to superscoring since today's student can potentially use the scores from 3 separate tests to achieve that perfect score.

Some schools have been super-scoring since at least 1981 when I applied.

However, a perfect score then was a before the tests were "re-normed" so you could still say it was a higher achievement back then.

I understand what you're saying.

On the other hand, colleges are compared against each other with the same set of potential applicants. We aren't looking at school A superscored today vs. school B not superscored 10 years ago. In other words, I think for rankings, the superscoring doesn't create inflation.

I understand what you're saying.

On the other hand, colleges are compared against each other with the same set of potential applicants. We aren't looking at school A superscored today vs. school B not superscored 10 years ago. In other words, I think for rankings, the superscoring doesn't create inflation.

:iagree:

The schools on my oldest son's list to date all superscore. He hasn't taken the SAT yet as a high school student, but he will be taking it more than once to take advantage of the superscoring policy.