Menu

Colorado peeps

If you live in Colorado, please tell me what you love about it. We currently live in the AZ desert, have been here for 13 years, and I am DONE, DONE, DONE with summers here. Would love to move to CO; just need to convince my hubby that it's necessary for my sanity!

I'm looking at the Loveland area or Estes Park but am interested in hearing from all points of the state. Thanks!

I don't live in Colorado, but I go there reasonably often.

Estes Park is BEAUTIFUL. It's not really big, though, and the road is kinda exciting. You'd need to be prepared for snow to block you in.

Loveland has everything. It's bigger and more, well, more. It's an easy shot to Denver from Loveland.

Hope some actual Co people chime in!

I would be the wrong person to talk to since I am tired of Colorado and would like to move---I just haven't found the right place yet.

Lara

can I ask what makes you tire of it? We are military and have only 2.5 years until my husband hits year 20, at which point we'll be transitioning to civilian life. He grew up in Denver and I grew up in Calgary (which has many similarities to Denver). At this point, our main focus is to settle there, though it will be depend on a good job for him. I'd love to hear your point of view though :) We're in San Diego and I'm just so tired of such mild weather. Before this we lived in Hawaii for three years, so I'm ready for the seasons!

I was born and raised in CO. I've been gone about 5 years, but will be moving back soon(fingers crossed) I have always lived on the western slope in a very rural farming area so I don't know anything about the Denver area. I love the western slope of CO because-

People are friendly, life moves at a slower pace, it's beautiful- the sky is almost always blue and there is always a mountain in the distance to look at. Where I grew upa nd will be moving back to I can drive 45 minutes and be in the mountains for skiing or hiking or 4-wheeling, 15 minutes and be at a lake or river to fish or boat or I can sit on my porch and just look at the mountains and not look at somebody else's house, yard or car:D Those are a few of the reasons I LOVE CO. Have you looked into other areas of the state or will your dh need to be near the city for work after he retires?

I've lived in the Denver area and on the western slope - Delta, a small town south of Grand Junction - and the western slope is way better, imo. Sorry, Denverites!

I loved it for all the reasons whooslisaloo listed AND because it was very easy to get things done. Need a new fuel tank installed on your acreage today? No problem! Need to renew your driver's license? 15 minutes and you are outta there! Need new carpeting through the entire house you are moving into because (unbeknownst to you) the water heater has been leaking for the past 3 days while you have been driving from another state to this new home? No problem! Old carpeting out and new carpeting installed in 2 days!

I would love to live there again!

I love Colorado too! Love the active, outdoor lifestyle. Being close to nature, things to do that don't cost $ all the time.

Variety of people too. Conservative Christians, gun-toting isolationists, tree hugger environmentalists, leftover hippies from the 60's, men with gigantic mountain-man beards, others with pony-tails. I just like the variety.

I disagree, though, about things getting done easier! Half the time service people never even call us back. When they do they are never on time and never on schedule. That took some getting used to!

BTW, we live in Divide, which is up in the mountains west of Colorado Springs.

Lara, we'll trade! You move here to the Arizona desert and I'll move to Colorado! :D

Thank you all for the input. Still open to hearing more!

Yep, the more I think about it, the more I don't want to live in Estes Park, I'll just visit. For the size house I want, Loveland is less expensive!

As for snow on the ground 6 months of the year, that's fine by me! I'm one of the few desert-dwellers down here that misses the snow! I'm tired of 6 months of HOT!

I'd like to live within a 2 hours drive of Wyoming. What are some other great Colorado towns that fit that requirement?

Loveland is in the foothills. There isn't snow on the ground 6 months of the year unless you're in the mountains, and it still gets hot in the summer. A lot of the time it will snow one day and be gone the next.

Another friend in that area lost her job today. Seriously. The employment situation in northern Colorado stinks right now.

If you live in Colorado, please tell me what you love about it. We currently live in the AZ desert, have been here for 13 years, and I am DONE, DONE, DONE with summers here. Would love to move to CO; just need to convince my hubby that it's necessary for my sanity!

I'm looking at the Loveland area or Estes Park but am interested in hearing from all points of the state. Thanks!

I LOVE Colorado. I would not want to live in Estes though- too isolated for me (plus the pine beetle problem...)

Loveland is nice, I live about 30 miles from there. It's in the flatlands, but close enough to see mountains all the time and drive there easily. Also close enough to Ft. Collins and Denver for day trips.

I took a trip to Durango last summer for a college visit, and that area is absolutely beautiful. Dd said, "I think I found my forever home."

WordGirl, the employment situation stinks pretty much everywhere right now, even where we are.

Right now, I'm probably just dreaming but I am working on a plan. Even if it's just for a summer home. At the rate we're going, we might just be able to afford a summer home next summer! I hope so. I'm DONE, DONE, DONE with desert summers. Too brutal on my brain and body.

And as for work, I'm a writer, so I can work anywhere.

theretohere, my best army buddy lives in Wyoming but I don't necessarily want to live there. Not enough trees in Cheyenne, where she lives. I visited northern CO briefly in May and absolutely fell in love with it.

WordGirl, I don't think you sound like a Debbie Downer, at all. You were just making sure I was informed and I appreciate that!

I grew up in the mountains of CO but now live near Boulder. I love that we have access to the "big city" of Denver and culture there but that I am also 45 min from Estes Park. I have a ski resort 45 min away and I can run away to the mtns any time I want. I love the seasons and it does get warm but only for a couple of months and it will get cold but the sun never stays away for long.

I love Colorado.

Okay, let's cut to the chase. If it's really about your husband, just tell him it's one of the best sports towns in the country. Every professional sport is played here, and they all have rabid but polite fan bases. The college sports are here, too. I love Colorado!!

I have lived for about 7 years here in the Denver metro area, about as far west as you can be in the metro area before the city folk start thinking you live in the mountains. I have to admit to smiling at all the anti-Denver-the-big-city comments because, as a San Francisco native, I feel like I'm living in a nice quiet town. :001_smile: Regardless of size, Denver feels smaller than it is because of the laid-back, healthy lifestyle of the people.

What I think is interesting that no one has yet commented on, on this forum no less, is how friendly Colorado is to homeschoolers. There are so many resources and it's so common that people barely blink an eye when they see you and your kids out and about during the day. We fit in well with our public school, private school and homeschool friends alike. I think it's just been accepted here for so long that everyone knows someone that was homeschooled- and it's not just "that weird kid I met once" but actual interesting, intelligent, contributing members of society. The school district for the county I live in actually offers homeschooling classes, held in a church, taught by certified teachers on the school district payroll. In our homeschooling community group, we have people doing every kind of homeschooling and curricula you can imagine. The cliques are held to a minimum because people here aren't purists- there are too many great philosophies and opportunities to be rigid about too much.

As for the non-homeschooling things- the weather is unbeatable, there are four true seasons! But the summer is more mild than where you're at, the winters more mild than back east, and we still have that nice dry air that you've grown to love. :001_smile: During the Spring you could have one child at Water World (the largest water park in the world) and the other up in the mountains snowboarding. You can hike, white water raft, canoe, ski, snowboard, snowshoe, dirt bike ride, ATV, parasail, waterski and hang-glide- all within an hour of my house. You can go to the symphony, see an opera, nice art museums, community theaters and go to nice high-end malls. Two of the best children's hospitals in the world are here. We have Super Target. (I have no idea what that last statement is about, it's late... but it is where I spend most of my time...)

Good luck! I hope you figure out how to move here, to paradise, soon! :auto:

I moved here 13 years ago from FL. I love the weather. The only thing I miss is the beach, but you don't have that either. You've already been given lots of reason people love CO. I do have to say that if you're Republican and ex-military then you should move to CO Springs.

There are a lot of WTM homeschoolers here. The CO constitution supports a parent's right to educate their children.

We have terrible water rights laws so keep an eye on water when you look at places to live.

There are wonderful, active things to do outdoors in every season.

Let me know if you need more encouragement.

I lived in Loveland and Fort Collins for about 4 1/2 yrs before having kids and we loved it.

One thing I loved - Loveland is known for their bronze sculptures and sculptors. They are just beautiful and are all over the city.

One thing I disliked - It can often be very windy!! I remember when we lived in our duplex and our door faced west, and mind you there was not a deadbolt on the door, but the wind could blow the door wide open with it locked! Shocked us every time! That being said, I probably only used an umbrella 5 times the whole time I lived there and it is sunny ALL the time! I miss the sun in winter. Here in Arkansas the winters are gray and drab.

We still may move back to Colorado some day. Hearing about how great it is to homeschool is drawing me even more. :001_smile: And I think Estes is one of the most beautiful places in the world but it is small.

I moved here 13 years ago from FL. I love the weather. The only thing I miss is the beach, but you don't have that either. You've already been given lots of reason people love CO. I do have to say that if you're Republican and ex-military then you should move to CO Springs.

There are a lot of WTM homeschoolers here. The CO constitution supports a parent's right to educate their children.

We have terrible water rights laws so keep an eye on water when you look at places to live.

There are wonderful, active things to do outdoors in every season.

Let me know if you need more encouragement.

We will be ex-military but not Republicans, and after everything I read, I know we (personally) would not feel at home in Colorado Springs! Boulder is more my speed, but my husband will be looking for jobs in the aerospace industry, so that might mean staying closer to Denver (which is where his parents live).

Great info and wonderful insight.

Veterans, yes. Republican, not anymore. More and more we find ourselves with a Libertarian mindset (be accountable to your own actions/decisions and all that).

You're right: no beach here. But we are only about a 6 hour drive away from the ocean.

Coming from Phoenix, I KNOW Denver's not a "big city". And yet, it offers some of the same attractions/entertainment/culture.

Yeah, the "all major sports" mantra won't do it for my husband. Neither one of us really follows major sports. For him it will be "can we afford it?" As I said, we're getting close, but I want to be prepared to go when we can actually afford to go.

Hi! I see your location is Sonoran Desert. I grew up in Bisbee but left in 1977 as a high school senior. Since then I've lived in New Mexico, Missouri, Illinois and Florida. Temperature wise I liked New Mexico best.

I visit Arizona when I can because my family is there. I would take the heat of the valley anytime over the mugginess of Florida.

I hope you find a great place to go.

We will be ex-military but not Republicans, and after everything I read, I know we (personally) would not feel at home in Colorado Springs! Boulder is more my speed, but my husband will be looking for jobs in the aerospace industry, so that might mean staying closer to Denver (which is where his parents live).

They're lots of companies in Broomfield that are driving distance from Boulder. CO Springs has lots of aerospace and military contract companies. If Boulder is your style, you might find Manitou Springs interesting also. It is the anti-Colorado springs. It is the Wiccan-Mennonite-hippie hangout. Although downtown CO Springs is very different than the northern suburbs too.

Three options: 1) notify each year, test or evaulate every other year, keep records. 2) join a CO private school and follow their rules or 3) be a CO licensed teacher. HSLDA lists us as moderate regulations because of the notification.

I believe CO is "moderate" because of requirements over and above notification -- states that only require a notice of intent are listed as "low regulation" states.

So what do the tests/evaluations look like? are they provided by the school systems? Do you have to submit scores? If you join a private school can you avoid this?

TIA!

I believe CO is "moderate" because of requirements over and above notification -- states that only require a notice of intent are listed as "low regulation" states.

So what do the tests/evaluations look like? are they provided by the school systems? Do you have to submit scores? If you join a private school can you avoid this?

TIA!

The testing is not a big deal. You can chose any standardized test, like Iowa Basic.

I see that CO is listed as a "Moderate Regulation" state on the HSLDA map. Besides notification, what's required for HSers?

Required testing submitted to school district at 3rd grade, 5th grade, 7th grade...and and can't remember the rest of the grades.

Need to keep attendance records, although I don't know anyone who has ever been asked for them...

Required testing submitted to school district at 3rd grade, 5th grade, 7th grade...and and can't remember the rest of the grades.

Need to keep attendance records, although I don't know anyone who has ever been asked for them...

What is the course of action if the child doesn't pass one or more parts of the test?

What is the course of action if the child doesn't pass one or more parts of the test?

You only need to score in the 13th percentile to be considered successful. You also choose when/where to submit the scores. So if you happen to score less than 13th percentile, you can retest before you turn them in. :D

We take the CAT/3 which is only basic English/Math.

You only need to score in the 13th percentile to be considered successful. You also choose when/where to submit the scores. So if you happen to score less than 13th percentile, you can retest before you turn them in. :D

We take the CAT/3 which is only basic English/Math.

That's much better than I expected. I wonder how special needs students are handled?

In case you couldn't tell, we are considering a move... :)