Menu

Holy Expensive, Batman!

Just ordered Diva's dissection kit and slide kit for Apologia Biology for this year.

Inc shipping...$170.

:svengo:

That's not even the textbook, tests, etc!

Thank God for Alberta's funding availability! Otherwise, she'd be hunting down roadkill :lol:

Diva's looking forward to it. I took two years of bio in college, so it doesn't gack me out at all.

My only problem with it is that I can't physically help her with it, since my right hand is pooched.

As Wolf pointed out (in a disappointed tone) her kit consists of frog, cray fish, perch, and worm. Bloodless.

He brightened up when I pointed out that higher bio would likely involve fetal pigs and rats. :001_huh::lol:

OMG :svengo: again.

:lol: Well, it'll be a quick way for her to figure out if medicine really is someting she wants to pursue! :lol:

Wow! That is REALLY expensive!

My kids will either do virtual dissection or dh will do it. Ick, ick, ick. Good for you though!

I looked at virtual dissection, and...meh. I think the hands on will give her more of a full experience.

We did both the fetal pig and the worm in high school, and the worm was by far the more revolting, for some reason. I was fortunate enough to have a lab partner who wanted to go to med school, so she did all the touching and I wrote up the lab reports.

I like the roadkill idea, though, Imp. I'd love to see some admissions committee reading that transcript. "Biology with lab, including dissection of possum, raccoon, garden slug, and some other hairy thing we can't quite identify."

We did both the fetal pig and the worm in high school, and the worm was by far the more revolting, for some reason. I was fortunate enough to have a lab partner who wanted to go to med school, so she did all the touching and I wrote up the lab reports.

I like the roadkill idea, though, Imp. I'd love to see some admissions committee reading that transcript. "Biology with lab, including dissection of possum, raccoon, garden slug, and some other hairy thing we can't quite identify."

:lol::lol: :lol:

seriously wet my pants.

robin in nj

Just ordered Diva's dissection kit and slide kit for Apologia Biology for this year.

Inc shipping...$170.

:svengo:

That's not even the textbook, tests, etc!

Thank God for Alberta's funding availability! Otherwise, she'd be hunting down roadkill :lol:

If you really want to be scared, check out the cost of A Beka's Biology Kit...if I remember correctly it is almost twice that amount. ;)

Kind of glad we are not doing it this year, just because of the cost. I look forward to doing dissection with the kids (have the tray and tools already but no kits just yet), but this year we are finishing earth science, and doing physical science with a unit on the human body thrown in, so already a too full a schedule for that. I am thinking next year for the bigs but it might be the year after. Dissection is one of the reasons I am happy we homeschool, it has been discontinued for most high schools. I remember when my old high school banned them after someone put a sheep heart in the cafeteria microwave. That stink took at least 2 months to completely clear out of the school. It was the year before I was supposed to do the dissection lab. I felt very ripped off.

We do have owl pellets here to dissect though, I might get my "fill" that way ;)

:lol::lol: :lol:

seriously wet my pants.

robin in nj

Robin, have you ever heard of Depends? Just wondering.

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

Imp, our kitchen remodel will begin shortly. I went against the contractor's advise and went with the larger island. I used my island ALL THE TIME before we ripped it out(hate working on counter tops and facing a wall, and hate the more narrow space!) and I truly envision dissection gatherings at it. Warped, I know, but it's truly something I've envisioned!

Have you checked out Tobin's Lab? That price for Apologia? :svengo:

Problem I run into is that there are certain things that don't like to cross the border, and science materials tend to be one of them. I just go with the company I know for sure I can get stuff from.

Course, now that I say that, it'll be back ordered up the wazoo. :glare:

Problem I run into is that there are certain things that don't like to cross the border, and science materials tend to be one of them. I just go with the company I know for sure I can get stuff from.

Course, now that I say that, it'll be back ordered up the wazoo. :glare:

who did you end up ordering from?

Dd is using Dive ICP this year. So far, we like it, so I'm thinking we'll use it next year. She will watch all of those labs, but I do want her to do a few. Apologia sells a dissection kit for $40 It includes the instruments, a frog, perch, crayfish, and earthworm. I don't think we'll actually do many other labs than that. If I decide to invest in our own microscope, that will be the biggest expense. I know that I can find quite a few microscopic views of things online, though.

I have done dissection at home with my oldest three and LOVED it. My 14yo dd goes to a co-op this year for Biology so I am going to miss it. My oldest three did the Apologia Human Anatomy and we had great dissections - fetal pig, sheep's heart, etc.

I actually loved dissecting a cat in college!

I sort of cheated, I didn't buy the kit instead we dissected a fish that my DS caught, and we did the pig at butchering time. the pig is an annual event here, but we made sure we had a good look at everything. My older boys are doing human body, so we had a closer look at cartilage, bone oil and different joints while we were making the roasts and bacon.:D

We're doing Biology this year too and I about choked when I saw the price for the lab supplies. We have to buy the microscope too unless I can figure out where to borrow a decent one. I wish I knew a science teacher at the high school. Someone mentioned the dissection set is only $40--yes, it's the prepared slide set that's expensive. It's running $75. Add on shipping... The slide kit that comes with the microscope too is like $270. I usually have a little curriculum fund, but this year it got eaten up by taxes. It figures this is the year with the expensive labs. I didn't know I was going to need $500 for science alone...

This is awesome!!! But, then you should know that I"m the same lab teacher that nearly made an entire class of 8th graders pass out while I was enthusiastically showing off a sheeps heart from the local meat packing plant while demonstrating a valve by pushing my index finger in and out of it. Apparently, some teens cannot handle this. :D Apparently, some 8th grade science teachers who are used to teaching physical science, feel their legs "wiggle" too! :D Who knew??

Most of our dissections are pretty tame here, though. It's the chemistry experiments that always involve flammable substances and matches that get really fun!!!!!:lol:

Dissection is good. One never knows when you will have a child get passionate about forensic anthropology...:biggrinjester:

Faith

Not sure if this works for you or not, but have you checked with Home Science Tools?

Their prices have been very reasonable and I get packages in a timely fashion.

Are they in Canada? Seems to me they're in the States...I say that b/c I'm pretty sure that's who I ordered my microscope from.

There's border issues when it comes to some science things. Chemicals and some organic materials. Dunno why, but I figured it was best to just go w/a Canadian co and avoid the whole mess.

Dissection? :eek::svengo: Let alone paying for it. I don't want to do dissection and neither does dd. When ds gets to that age and he wants to... I'll join a co-op!

I'm not understanding how joining a co-op will save you money. You'll still need to buy some sort of dissection kit. Oh . . . maybe you meant having someone else show how to dissect or have your dd partner up with someone to do the dissection. I get that. We did a co-op for this last year. There was one table of 2 boys and 2 girls and the 2 girls were totally into it while the boys sat back and just watched.

This is awesome!!! But, then you should know that I"m the same lab teacher that nearly made an entire class of 8th graders pass out while I was enthusiastically showing off a sheeps heart from the local meat packing plant while demonstrating a valve by pushing my index finger in and out of it. Apparently, some teens cannot handle this. :D Apparently, some 8th grade science teachers who are used to teaching physical science, feel their legs "wiggle" too! :D Who knew??

Most of our dissections are pretty tame here, though. It's the chemistry experiments that always involve flammable substances and matches that get really fun!!!!!:lol:

Dissection is good. One never knows when you will have a child get passionate about forensic anthropology...:biggrinjester:

Faith

I was the 9th grader who after dissecting the starfish, a female, mixed the digestive track and the eggs together. Then asked my partner if he liked scrambled eggs. I found out the phrase "turned a shade of green" really was true.

i was the 9th grader who after dissecting the starfish, a female, mixed the digestive track and the eggs together. Then asked my partner if he liked scrambled eggs. I found out the phrase "turned a shade of green" really was true.

bwah ahahahahahahaha!!!!