Menu

30 day shred

I finished day 1 of the 30 day shred this morning. Anyone know how long my muscles will keep shaking? :001_huh: My arms are still shaking from the work out, they shook all through it and now a couple hours later they still are.

How long until you actually felt strong doing the workout? Did anyone else have the shaky muscles during/after the workout?

I thought I had stronger arms than this, it is ridiculous.

I did it for 30 days last December. The first few days were the worst; hang in there. I actually got to a point where I wanted to do it because it caused me to feel good afterwards. Your muscles will get used to this and not shake after a few days. You should take one day off a week for recovery. Make sure you get plenty of water too.

Modify some moves if you feel they are way too much or are injuring you. Use lighter weights if you need to, but just keep at it. You will see a payoff.

I need to get back into it; I'm going to do it in September. Thanks for the motivation and reminder.

Best wishes in shredding,

Joann

I didn't use weights at all, just tensed/flexed my arms the way JM showed the move. I also did some of the moves on my rebounder (running in place/jumping rope/etc) so as not to cause more wear and tear on the old knees.

Drink plenty of water (about a half an hour before, and moderate amounts after).

I really enjoyed this DVD workout. Stick with it! It's definitely worth it.

I didn't use weights at all, just tensed/flexed my arms the way JM showed the move. I also did some of the moves on my rebounder (running in place/jumping rope/etc) so as not to cause more wear and tear on the old knees.

Drink plenty of water (about a half an hour before, and moderate amounts after).

I really enjoyed this DVD workout. Stick with it! It's definitely worth it.

Now why didn't I think of that! Awesome idea, that should help at least with the shin pain I get doing those exercises.

I did the 30 Day Shred back in January and got awesome results! I lost inches like crazy and boosted my energy level tremendously.

I started out on day one only doing about 1/2 of the repititions and was somewhat sore the next day but still able to do the workout. i usually do this with any workout I start though. I think I actually started out only using 2 lb weights so my muscles didn't shake much. I gradually increased to 5 lbs then 8 lbs. I felt strong after about the third week. I started noticing my triceps about the third week into it. My arms toned up a lot along with my legs, buttocks and abs ( well everywhere really).

I've had better results with the 30 DS than any other workout I've tried and I've tried several. I can't say enough good things about it. Hang in there, it'll be worth it!

I did the 30 Day Shred back in January and got awesome results! I lost inches like crazy and boosted my energy level tremendously.

I started out on day one only doing about 1/2 of the repititions and was somewhat sore the next day but still able to do the workout. i usually do this with any workout I start though. I think I actually started out only using 2 lb weights so my muscles didn't shake much. I gradually increased to 5 lbs then 8 lbs. I felt strong after about the third week. I started noticing my triceps about the third week into it. My arms toned up a lot along with my legs, buttocks and abs ( well everywhere really).

I've had better results with the 30 DS than any other workout I've tried and I've tried several. I can't say enough good things about it. Hang in there, it'll be worth it!

ha ha these were only 2 lb weights, that's why I am so shocked that I was shaking so much. I am glad to hear so many success stories with the 30 DS, I need to lose so much weight and strengthen my muscles clearly and am glad to hear I made a good choice with this one.

Just finished my first 30 Day Shred workout....ouch!

I must have missed this, but how often are you suppose to do the workout and how do you know when to progress to the next level?

WHen I did Shred, I did it 6 days a week with 1 rest day. You'll know when you're ready to move on, possibly after the rest day. At some point (trust me here) the exercises will seem easy, and you'll feel a need to either add weights or move to the next level. You'll know.

(Welcome to the cult of Jillian. I'm on day two of "Ripped in 30." Shooting for 17 days straight.:001_huh:)

Keep at it. You'll thank yourself in a month.

I was so sore in the beginning that I could not walk properly or go down steps flat-footed. Either this or the workout itself ended up causing me to get terribly painful tendonitis in my ankle. I hadn't really thought much about it at first, but those ladies on the video all look about 10 years younger than me and childless.;)

So just when the soreness began to subside towards the end of the first week, I had to stop due to tendonitis. I had to take a week off. When I started back, I did Walk Strong (Leslie Sansone) for a few weeks, one section per week until it got easy to do all 3. Then Shred/Walk Strong/Shred/rest and then repeated, reducing the rest days to one per week and then dropping Leslie after two weeks. Then I injured my wrist! I was on week two, where you do a lot of plank exercises. It was too much for my wrists!

Eventually, I gave up. I never got to level 3, in fact I never got back to two again. I went back to the above schedule and then gave up after a week or two-I think out of fear, anticipating pain. I just am not sure I am made for this workout. I am 40, I have arthritis. Just a disclaimer in case you are not 30, childless and in good shape to begin with like Jillian and her buds.:tongue_smilie:

Lakota

I have been shredding for about 4 months and alternate between the levels to utilize different muscle groups. It took me about 2 weeks to stop being sore and to feel like I was making progress. I agree that you will know when you are ready to move on to the next level...it will seem too easy.

If you have trouble with your knees at all, be sure to take it easy on excercises like lunges. I have trouble with both my knees and it took at least a month before they stopped hurting. I do not do jumping jacks cuz they hurt no matter what, so I jump like I am jumping rope and move my arms like I am doing jumping jacks. My knees are much, much stronger now but there was some pain involved, elevating my worst knee, and icing daily.

I really like the Shred!! It helped me burn through my arm fat and I am sporting some real nice muscles. :) My legs are getting really toned too, but my legs have a tendency to bulk up, which I dislike. So I am currently doing the 17 day diet and a 2 week shred break to hopefully slim down my thighs a bit.

Stick with it -- modify in the early days when you need to - you do not want to injure yourself. :glare:

I was doing it for the 8th time when I noticed that it was not as torturous.

Now I alternate SHRED, BANISH FAT, BOOST METABOLISM, and SHRED WITH WEIGHTS.

Congrats -- you will see results - you will feel improvement -- stick with it.:D

I've never actually seen this video BUT I wonder if you all could discern whether someone with reoccurrent lower back issues and weak wrists could handle it? My back flares when I try to stregnthen my core, and my wrists feel sprained after being on my hands/knees for just a little while :glare:

I have been shredding for about 4 months and alternate between the levels to utilize different muscle groups. It took me about 2 weeks to stop being sore and to feel like I was making progress. I agree that you will know when you are ready to move on to the next level...it will seem too easy.

If you have trouble with your knees at all, be sure to take it easy on excercises like lunges. I have trouble with both my knees and it took at least a month before they stopped hurting. I do not do jumping jacks cuz they hurt no matter what, so I jump like I am jumping rope and move my arms like I am doing jumping jacks. My knees are much, much stronger now but there was some pain involved, elevating my worst knee, and icing daily.

I really like the Shred!! It helped me burn through my arm fat and I am sporting some real nice muscles. My legs are getting really toned too, but my legs have a tendency to bulk up, which I dislike. So I am currently doing the 17 day diet and a 2 week shred break to hopefully slim down my thighs a bit.

Despite her disallowance of modifications...I too have bad knees and did modify the high impact exercises. I know my body best for sure :D

WHen I did Shred, I did it 6 days a week with 1 rest day. You'll know when you're ready to move on, possibly after the rest day. At some point (trust me here) the exercises will seem easy, and you'll feel a need to either add weights or move to the next level. You'll know.

(Welcome to the cult of Jillian. I'm on day two of "Ripped in 30." Shooting for 17 days straight.)

Keep at it. You'll thank yourself in a month.

:lol: thank you! Getting set for day 2 here in a minute!

I have this DVD on my shelf, its been there since I bought it.:glare: Reading about all you ladies doing it makes me want to dust it off. Should we start a support thread? Tee hee!:lol:

This is it :D dust it off...

Stick with it -- modify in the early days when you need to - you do not want to injure yourself. :glare:

I was doing it for the 8th time when I noticed that it was not as torturous.

Now I alternate SHRED, BANISH FAT, BOOST METABOLISM, and SHRED WITH WEIGHTS.

Congrats -- you will see results - you will feel improvement -- stick with it.:D

Thank you! I also got two other DVD's of hers, so I can alternate at some point in the future. Go me :lol:

It took me about 2 weeks to feel ready for Level 2. The first few days of each level were killer -- sore, aching muscles and, yes, quivering while doing the moves. You really use a lot of core during her workouts and balance is key. It will get easier.

Watch those lunges though. You don't want to injure your knees. Me sure not to extend your knee beyond your toe when lunging!

It took me about 2 weeks to feel ready for Level 2. The first few days of each level were killer -- sore, aching muscles and, yes, quivering while doing the moves. You really use a lot of core during her workouts and balance is key. It will get easier.

Watch those lunges though. You don't want to injure your knees. Me sure not to extend your knee beyond your toe when lunging!

:iagree: Watch those jumping jacks too! I blew out my knew doing those and was benched for a long time. You can substitute any movement when you have an area that has been injured or is still injured. I cannot do jumping jacks AT ALL -- instead, now I know to do 'punches while squatting' or something else that does not involve lateral knee movement.

OMG, she's EVIL! Eeeeevvvvviiiiiiiiilllll! I did the 30DS last year and got terrific results, but oh, the pain!!!

I tried to go back on it after Han Solo was born, but I wasn't ready and I felt like my uterus was going to fall out on the jumping jacks. I had to quit doing those and high step in place instead.

Sigh, this thread reminds me that I need to get back on it. Yuck.

Is there any dancing in the workout? I hate dancing.

nope no dancing. Well ladies, I did the one day, the next day I could barely move so I skipped it and then I had the baby here at 7 am 4 days in a row so I skipped it, see where I am going with this. This weekend I was just too darned lazy thus far. Tommorow morning I am going to do it again and this time plan to do it for 5 days in a row (aiming for 6, but commiting myself to 5 for sure). I know I have to do the full 30 in a row for the full benefits, but I quite enjoy being able to walk the day after a workout so we will see :D It is really hard to stick to exercising when you are not used to it. I am not a fan of exercise, and I am way overweight so it is not fun to do, I am the type that drops it at the easiest excuse. I have to retrain myself to stick to this for sure. So a 5 day commitment to start seems more do-able than 30 days kwim.

Those of you just starting out with this tomorrow come post when you are done, maybe we can all help motivate each other to stick with it and not give up.

I tackled day 2!! Not easier yet and there are a couple exercises I have to take a short break on...push-ups being one of them...but 20 minutes is very doable...that part I like :)

I modify all the high-impact exercises...plenty of other ways to get that heart rate up.

My muscles haven't beeN sore, but I made the mistake of sitting down for a few minutes afterward and my legs were like jello when I tried to stand up :lol:

From what I was told by a trainer, you need to do the lunges, squats and jumps to strengthen the muscles around your knees. The key is the proper form.

She said to pretend you were sitting on a coffee table when lunging. I searched for some info, and found this site.

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/diet_and_fitness/article4401108.ece

But there are routes to prevention for all. Building the strength of muscles supporting the knee helps to protect it, as do exercises that develop other body parts. Knee workouts should include movements across all three planes: front and back, side-to-side and rotational. Here's how:

Squats: Stand with feet shoulder-width apart. Lower your body by bending your knees, with your hips moving back as if you are sitting in a chair. Keep the weight directly over your heels. Bend your knees to about 45 degrees, pause, then slowly return to the starting position.

Once you strengthen the muscles around your knees, you should be able to do the jumps.

As far as I can tell, Jillian Michaels doesn't include information on the proper form for lunging. So I agree with listening to your body. Definitely find the proper form, or modify the exercise.

I do her Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism DVD, and I have had to modify some things, specifically the toe touches at the beginning during warm up. You need to warm up the leg muscles first, before stretching them.

Edited by Leonana

I did the 30 day shred religiously for 30 days. I recall the shaking muscles and having to lay down after some sessions from literally feeling like I was going to throw up or collapse. I did not lose any weight and maybe just lost inches (I am not an over weight person and have always kept an exercise routine, maybe that has something to do with it). I did feel stronger in the end than when I first started.

About 3 weeks into it I started to notice my knees were cracking a lot. I have been exercising for about 15 years so I am pretty familiar with proper form. 1.5 years later if I place my hand on my right knee and flex it, back and forth, I can feel it crack and crunch, this was a result of the 30 day shred.

If I were given the chance to go back and do it all over, I would not do it and I do not recommend this workout to friends. I don't believe that it gives enough rest in between days. I went back to doing my pilates with Jennifer Kries and have been ok with that.

Whatever you decide....Happy training!

• 2 weeks later...
About 3 weeks into it I started to notice my knees were cracking a lot.

If I were given the chance to go back and do it all over, I would not do it and I do not recommend this workout to friends. I don't believe that it gives enough rest in between days. I went back to doing my pilates with Jennifer Kries and have been ok with that.

A few years ago, I was very, very fit and I started the Shred. I did it every other day. Never got past Level 2. I injured my ankle so badly. It took months to heal. My knees didn't do great either.

I have a love-hate relationship with her stuff. I love the fact that it's a quick and very effective workout.

But I really, really want to avoid long-term damage to my joints.

So, very reluctantly, I may need to stop Shredding. :confused:

Yesterday, I shredded again for the very first time in more than a year or so. It felt fabulous. Wasn't even extremely difficult for me, but I think I may have to stick with gentler stuff. I have a family history of joint problems. I'm 43 and need to take better care of all that.

About 3 weeks into it I started to notice my knees were cracking a lot. I have been exercising for about 15 years so I am pretty familiar with proper form. 1.5 years later if I place my hand on my right knee and flex it, back and forth, I can feel it crack and crunch, this was a result of the 30 day shred.

Whatever you decide....Happy training!

My doctor who is very athletic, and who also serves as the sports doctor for her son's teams doesn't recommend this workout. She says there's no reason you have to hurt yourself to be fit and healthy.

I started back on 30DS yesterday. But I do not plan on doing it every day. And I don't do the jumping jacks and I modify some of the things. I have Chondromalacia patellae. But man it kicks my butt still. I am alternating it with Tracey Mallet's Get Your Body Back and some other videos and yoga. I've started 30DS before and it hurt my knees and my back is still injured from doing Kundalini Yoga early in the year, so I'm not pushing myself too hard!

I did another one of her dvd's the other day and had to darn near modify the entire workout. I can't/don't do high impact anything. Hurts the knees too much.

With 30 day shred I modified some, but most of it was doable.

If anyone is not familiar with Collage Video, you should check them out...they have instructors that actually do each video and provide fairly solid descriptions and ratings for each. Plus they have a money-back guarantee and excellent customer service.

• 2 months later...

Resurrecting this thread to say that it motivated me to start. I am on day 8 within 11 days. I needed a few rest days ...and Thanksgiving, of course.

I am feeling stronger already! I use my rebounder for jumping moves, and definitely need potty breaks. Man, I didn't realize what a toll three kids had taken on my bladder. I kept wondering how Duggar mom does it???? Is she in diapers all day long? :lol: