Menu

So what do you eat when your husband is out of town?

I'm sitting here with a plate of peanut butter and nutella on giant butter crackers, with a side of white wine.

My SO does all the cooking so, we don't eat as well when he's out of town! lol I just eat a sandwich or something

Vegetarian! Yummm! Bring in the asian, east indian and south american wonders that he always wants to eat with a side of meat. or rather, as a side TO meat. he worked out of town for almost three months last year and I think i got a little anemic from lack of red meat, but MAN! It was worth it lol!

I haven't been cooking for dh for months, and I can say we have had more fish, beans, thai, chinese, and greek dishes, than I have had in the entire time we have been together. He's a meat and potatoes man, and I am a vegetarian at heart. The kids have just told me that I can eat 100% vegetarian when they aren't here, but they have enjoyed the many new dishes.

Tonight we had a stir-fry with chicken, red peppers, mandarin oranges, broccoli, and a touch of red curry paste, served over rice noodles. Yum!

tonight it was tuna sandwich, a boiled egg, and a handful of Cheezits. (my kids ate leftovers of rice, beans, and some chicken, but I didn't feel like it)

On the flip side, though, when he leaves I make all the dishes he hates. Mexican foods, creamy sauces, and some other foods he doesn't care for we indulge in when he's out! Good thing he gave me 12 days this time to eat my heart out :D

When dh isn't here we don't cook big meals since most of the kids won't eat it anyway. The kids would rather have a bowl of cereal, a pb&j sandwich, or they all ask for Ramen noodles. Leftovers are great to us too. Came back to add that dh hates it but the kids and I like breakfast for dinner with pancakes or waffles, etc.

Foods dh doesn't like, that ds and I eat when he goes on a trip:

Pizza with peppers and onions :)

Macaroni and cheese :)

Food that dh doesn't mind, but it's not his favorite and it's expensive, so ds and I splurge when it's just the two of us:

Japanese food at our favorite place :tongue_smilie:

Wendi

We don't eat as well when he is out of town or working super-long shifts. He cooks 90% of the dinners around here.

Sometimes I make an effort to cook my onion-y, garlic-y foods when he's not around, though. He hates my stinky foods (which is why he now does most of the cooking). :001_smile:

I don't feel so bad now! My husband left today on a work trip and I took the kids to the Wendy's drivethru for dinner. I ate GF cereal with almond milk and a coconut bliss ice cream bar. :o

I usually cook most things from scratch and serve gluten-free/paleo, super healthy food. I guess I was just tired, lol.

Papa Murphy's here we come!! My husband LOVES homemade pizza (grind the grain into flour, make your own sauce etc..). But when its just me and the kids this is what we like to do. Of course I'll cut up a big plate full of raw veggies and it is pretty well consumed before the pizza is done :) Just a little trick to get them to eat their veggies! Sometimes we will even eat... CEREAL!

DD and I eat broccoli (DH hates the smell so I don't cook it much when he is around). Fried broccoli with egg, broccoli and noodles, broccoli casserole, and so on.

The boys eat whatever they can fix themselves.

I HATE cooking, it is the only job as housewife I detest and will retire from when my last child leaves the house. So when dh is away I take a vacation.

My husband is out of town, and the first night I had half a Kashi pizza, a salad, and a white wine spritzer.

Lunch next day was at a Mediterranean restaurant with a friend.

Dinner last night was 1/4 steak, potato and asparagus.

Lunch today will be leftover wrap and salad from yesterday's lunch.

I was going to make crab cakes for dinner, but my son invited me over tonight.