Menu

If you are involved in a co-op one day a week

If your high schoolers are part of a co-op one day a week and only has 4 days the rest of the week to complete their "regular" schoolwork, how do you schedule things so they doesn't get behind (particularly in core subjects like English/math)? Do they double up a lesson during those 4 days? Do you have them continue into the summer until they have completed it all? Do they do their core subjects on co-op day?

We are part of a public charter for homeschoolers that meets one day a week. On those days they are there from 8:45-2:45, and my high schooler has 4 subjects (Spanish, history/govt., and 2 different PEs...at least that's how it was set up last year - this year may be different). Since our curriculum at home is geared toward 34-36 weeks of 5 days per week, since he's only going to have 4 days a week to do the work it looks like we'll be going longer into the summer...which is something neither of us is thrilled about.

I'd love to hear how you handle this! (Math and English are my top concerns for him.)

Well, if you're getting between 1 to 1.5 hours of Spanish, AND between 1 to 1.5 hours of History/Gov't per week at the co-op, then you'll only need about 3 hours of each at home to give you a full credit for each. You won't have to recreate those co-op hours at home, so, that will free up those 2-3 hours for History/Gov't put in at the co-op to be used at home each week -- and you can use those hours on the core subjects of Math and English.

(Aside: JMO, but if you are not feeling like the co-op is providing enough to count towards credits, and that you still have to "make up" the work/time done at the co-op at home, then I would gently suggest that the co-op classes are NOT worth it -- Then you have your full-five day week to do Hist/Gov. and Spanish at home, no struggle over core classes of Math and English, and PE can be accomplished in MANY ways outside of school hours. Truthfully, in high school, your time becomes a very valuable commodity, and if everything you are doing is not contributing significantly, then drop it.)

We, too, had a 36-week school week, and have successfully used combinations of the options you suggested. My only suggestion is that, since the co-op is a FULL day, I would NOT try to also do work at home on those days.

During high school, we tended to gravitate toward a 4-day school week with a little bit of "block scheduling", leaving our Fridays for "finish-up/catch-up" of regular work, and for outside activities and commitments. So Mon/Tues/Wed/Thurs mornings (3 hours) we did core subjects (Bible, Math, Writing, Spelling, Literature). Also on Mon/Tues/Wed/Thurs. afternoons, we used 30-45 minutes for some other credit (fine arts, foreign language, Logic, whatever), and to finish up Math or Literature.

The "block scheduling" came into play for the rest of each afternoon: Mon/Wed, 2 hours on History (or Govt/Econ credit); Tues/Thurs. 2 hours on Science. We definitely got more done in the longer concentrated sessions than trying to do a little "bite" of many subjects every single day. We usually had a little extra time on Fridays before or after outside commitments to fill in whatever did not get completed with the writing, history, or science. Sometimes during the school year, if we were getting behind on the reading of the Literature, we squeezed in an evening read-aloud as a family for 1-2 nights a week until we were caught up again.

The PE credits were counted from a variety of activities and involvement DSs were doing anyways (tennis team; lap swimming; ballroom dancing; hiking; etc.), and happened after school hours: late afternoons/evenings, on weekends, and over the summer.

If we were unable to complete a subject, such as Math, at the end of 36 weeks, we just spend the first few weeks of summer completing the subject -- at an hour/day, 4 days/week, it's really not that big of a deal to have "summer school" -- it can actually help give a little structure or shape to your days! ;)

Each year has been a little different, and it seems like it all sorts itself out within the first month of school without too much trouble. Hope that will be the case for you as well. BEST of luck! :) Warmly, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

This charter experience is mostly for social reasons, not so much for educational reasons. He will earn some credit, but not a lot. The classes are designed to be supplemental only. The history/govt. *might* earn him half a credit...maybe? The parents' orientation is in a couple weeks, so I plan to find out more then. I might be able to cut down on the amount of Spanish he does during the week, but that's about it.

My 9th grader isn't my only child involved, so any decision to stop going will have to take into account more than just him.

I think math is my main concern - everything else is relatively easy to squeeze into 4 days.

Well, last year we did a co-op in the morning and they had piano lessons in the afternoon. They still had to get their math done on that day as well as any pressing assignments for other subjects ( like maybe AP stats still had deadlines) It was just a long day. If they finish at 2:45, they could still work from 3-5 on other subjects.

Christine

This charter experience is mostly for social reasons, not so much for educational reasons. He will earn some credit, but not a lot. The classes are designed to be supplemental only. The history/govt. *might* earn him half a credit...maybe? The parents' orientation is in a couple weeks, so I plan to find out more then. I might be able to cut down on the amount of Spanish he does during the week, but that's about it.

My 9th grader isn't my only child involved, so any decision to stop going will have to take into account more than just him.

I think math is my main concern - everything else is relatively easy to squeeze into 4 days.

Is there any way your 9th grader could/would be willing do math on Saturday morning? I ask because for my son co-op was something he looked forward to so much that he was willing to do some extra work on Saturdays. We found that math and foreign language were the only two subjects that were hard to fit into a four-day week. Latin was doable in 4 days because we had a fairly open-ended goal--math was not so easy. Working on Saturday isn't ideal for some (my son would have preferred to sleep in) but it is possible to work in a couple of hours of math and still have a satisfying weekend. Another option would be to lengthen the school year, but that has its own set of problems.

ETA: We tried different things different years, but the ONLY thing that did not work was doing extra work on co-op day.

Is there any way your 9th grader could/would be willing do math on Saturday morning? I ask because for my son co-op was something he looked forward to so much that he was willing to do some extra work on Saturdays. We found that math and foreign language were the only two subjects that were hard to fit into a four-day week. Latin was doable in 4 days because we had a fairly open-ended goal--math was not so easy. Working on Saturday isn't ideal for some (my son would have preferred to sleep in) but it is possible to work in a couple of hours of math and still have a satisfying weekend. Another option would be to lengthen the school year, but that has its own set of problems.

ETA: We tried different things different years, but the ONLY thing that did not work was doing extra work on co-op day.

That's what I was going to suggest. My son (not in high school yet) really enjoys his co-op. It is more of a social thing and we will not want to give it up once 9th grade starts. He will be more than willing to do some school work on a Saturday!!

That is why we didn't do coop in high school. You miss 36 Fridays, that is 7 weeks, almost a quarter. We always finished on schedule, everyone at the coop complained that they had to do school through the summer. I would rather have a summer break for social opportunities.

My 9th grader will be out of the house and in music classes off and on Wednesdays from 8:30 - 2:30. I haven't figured out exactly what he'll be doing school-wise. Typically we've done math and reading on Wed. and my youngers will continue to do so. My 9th grader will be doing MFW AHL which looks like it has a light day on Friday so I will have to start things off so that falls on Wed. instead. He'll have to do math for sure and I haven't purchased the science yet (DIVE Integrated Phys & Chem)but I'm thinking he'll have to do something on Wed. The Spanish and typing I will not schedule for Wed. Since he's not *in* class that whole time he can get a little bit of school work done then and when we get home he'll have 2 hours or so before we typically call it quits for the day. He doesn't have any activities on Wed. evening this year (I don't think) so if he needs to do a little homework, it won't kill him. :D

We are only at co-op 3 hours but we have an hours drive so it does put a dent in our schooling...but we typically work off a 4 day work week because the kids are so active...

For math, we almost do a block scheduling...we double up or atleast do 30% more per week on those four days, so he knocks out 6 lessons a week, two of those four days he's doing 2 lessons a day....this helps us on weeks where someone is sick, or he has an event to attend etc.

His science is a time compressed class as well...it is a year's course in 5-7 months (most are 4-5 months, but Physics is 7)...so he works on that as well....I try not to stick to a rigid schedule..our lives are flexible so must our schedule be. College is not a study by day/lesson by day/ it's get it done when you can ...we push pacing..some days my kids are on a writing bend and want to complete a week's worth of writing in one day, yesterday my son completed 5 Algebra lessons, just b/c he knew this next week his rowing practices started back up and time would be tight....we just know what must be done and somehow knock it out...they each have a weekly plan they refer to and tend to it.

This is the first year in many, many years we will attend a co-op once a week. We haven't done it in the past for the reasons you mentioned. My 14yo dd was just begging to go this year and then they asked me to teach, so I agreed. We are going to work hard the other 4 days and get it all done in 36 weeks (I hope!). That is my plan anyway. :001_smile:

When we've added work on to a co-op today, the only way it worked was when ds worked on math first thing in the morning. After co-op everyone was drained. We used Saxon last year and ds did his weekly test on co-op day as that only took him 20-30 mins. compared to the hour long lesson.

You can also catch up over other breaks as well. Doing an hour of work over holiday breaks isn't such a big deal. It's also helpful to do math over the summer to keep things fresh.

Laura

My only suggestion is that, since the co-op is a FULL day, I would NOT try to also do work at home on those days.

I'm not disagreeing, but I'm wondering why we believe this. Kids in public school put in a full day at school, then come home and do homework and/or participate in other activities. This would seem to be particularly questionable when the co-op classes are being used mainly as a social outlet.

Last year my kids followed up their co-op day with hours of theater classes. At one point I was whisking them to Irish Dance classes, then, after the theater classes; overall they were going to various classes from 9am to 9pm. *I* felt pretty fried at the end of the co-op day from my teaching duties, but they seemed pretty blase about keeping up the pace all day. Older dd then got up early the next day for a regular babysitting job, then on to an afternoon at a learning center for composition and science. Their public school friends thought nothing was odd about this schedule, since most of them do as much or more.

Dear Gail: in no way taking offense or trying to give offense to your honest question. :)

This is probably why we have done very little with co-ops over the years -- only when the imposition they inevitably cause on our homeschooling makes it truly worthwhile. Our socializing has been geared around developing the friendships and activities the DSs really enjoy and are really beneficial -- and we are very careful to limit just how MUCH we do. And yes, it has meant at times having to say "no" to some good things for the greater good of balance. :)

Guess this is just my personal thing: We don't do homework because we homeschool hard during the day for a good 6 hours (in high school), then set the books aside. Yes, we have evening commitments and activities several nights a week -- but we also balance with some unscheduled time each day, to de-stress, "putter" about and develop hobbies, have time to just think, relax, recharge...

But... I am purposefully in a "real rebel mode" against our culture's relentless and restless drive for constant motion, and visual and auditory stimulation. DH and I are trying to model to our DSs that a healthy lifestyle does not have you scheduled for every waking hour of every day. A no-free-time schedule does not allow us to be available to serve/minister to those around us with unexpected needs. It does not allow us to have the time to be creative, to read / meditate on / discuss to develop the life of the mind and spirit. It doesn't allow time for simple pleasures of "slow food" -- making my own bread and making a bean soup from scratch (soaking/cooking beans all day) -- or to crochet an heirloom afghan -- or go for a walk just for pleasure (compared to "must regiment exercise to check off "health" box for this day...").

I guess if we're going to be on the run from 9am to 9pm, I want it be by our choice, for a very good reason, and for a very short season -- not because everyone else in public school (or homeschool! -- we know homeschoolers with no free time, too!) is doing it and thinks it's okay. (Sometimes I feel like our culture is enslaved to constant screen and sound stimulation (Brave New World, or Farenheit 451, anyone?! :willy_nilly:) ) Okay, end of personal rant. (lol)

BEST of luck in making the scheduling decisions that are best for your family! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

Our teens (well our two younger kids too...) go to co-op once a week for about 28 weeks (the co-op runs 22 weeks for the other kids but the teens do a bit more).

I would simply make sure that the co-op hours are important to the teens' education. They are too old for "fluff" classes to take up either half a day or a full day of school.

Our teens are taking Physics (2 hours because a lab is involved) and Latin. So these are things that are needed for a transcript, not elelctives.

Since our co-op is only three hours long (10 minutes drive each way) we still have half a day for school work. It really doesn't steal time away from our school schedule -- just rearranges it.

If your co-op is fluff for teens, you might want to pull the teens out and then make an effort of a teen social hour once or twice a month, maybe on Friday or Saturday night.

Lori D., thank you for the gracious reply. Frankly, I agree with much of what you say -- I'm just in one of those phases where I'm mulling over why I do things certain ways, why others make other choices, etc. I'm reading some books regarding scheduling and goal setting, and pondering whether I agree or disagree with the authors' thoughts. And those thought processes are leaking out into my discussions with people in real life and here online.

It's so lovely to be able to bounce ideas off of wiser homeschoolers! I treasure the variety of opinions here.

But... I am purposefully in a "real rebel mode" against our culture's relentless and restless drive for constant motion, and visual and auditory stimulation. DH and I are trying to model to our DSs that a healthy lifestyle does not have you scheduled for every waking hour of every day. A no-free-time schedule does not allow us to be available to serve/minister to those around us with unexpected needs. It does not allow us to have the time to be creative, to read / meditate on / discuss to develop the life of the mind and spirit. It doesn't allow time for simple pleasures of "slow food" -- making my own bread and making a bean soup from scratch (soaking/cooking beans all day) -- or to crochet an heirloom afghan -- or go for a walk just for pleasure (compared to "must regiment exercise to check off "health" box for this day...").

I guess if we're going to be on the run from 9am to 9pm, I want it be by our choice, for a very good reason, and for a very short season -- not because everyone else in public school (or homeschool! -- we know homeschoolers with no free time, too!) is doing it and thinks it's okay. (Sometimes I feel like our culture is enslaved to constant screen and sound stimulation (Brave New World, or Farenheit 451, anyone?! :willy_nilly:) ) Okay, end of personal rant. (lol)

:hurray::hurray::hurray: Thank you Lori! Very well said. I really needed to read this. I wholeheartedly agree, yet find myself saying yes to too many things lately. Like you, we are involved in interest driven activities during no school time. I can't imagine adding an entire day for co-op.

It's so hard to be the rebel. It seems when people around me see our family with the free time you describe, they just can't understand why I would say 'no' to whatever it is they want us to be involved in.

Anyway, I really appreciate your thoughts. Now, back to the OP's questions.

Shannon

I really appreciate your thoughts. Now, back to the OP's questions.

Yes! Didn't mean to hijack OP's thread -- but I would love to hear more musings from you and from Gail -- and other ladies! -- in a separate thread on balance, choosing the best from all the good/great, saying no, etc. :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

I'm not disagreeing, but I'm wondering why we believe this. Kids in public school put in a full day at school, then come home and do homework and/or participate in other activities. This would seem to be particularly questionable when the co-op classes are being used mainly as a social outlet.

Last year my kids followed up their co-op day with hours of theater classes. At one point I was whisking them to Irish Dance classes, then, after the theater classes; overall they were going to various classes from 9am to 9pm. *I* felt pretty fried at the end of the co-op day from my teaching duties, but they seemed pretty blase about keeping up the pace all day. Older dd then got up early the next day for a regular babysitting job, then on to an afternoon at a learning center for composition and science. Their public school friends thought nothing was odd about this schedule, since most of them do as much or more.

Gail, an excellent point. In our case, inability to do academics before/after co-op classes was mostly a matter of travel time plus health concerns. We did other activities on co-op days after class, just no sit down with a book academics. In general, though, I think you make a good point; high expectations are good. It's important for our young people to know that they can often accomplish far more than they might think.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm going to condense my replies into one.:)

Saturdays are most likely out because every other Saturday he will have drill with his Young Marines unit and be gone from about 8:15 am - 4 pm. I guess I could have him do math on the days he ISN'T doing that, but knowing our family and the way it works, it'd be an exercise in futility. For some reason they feel that Saturday is the day to do absolutely NOTHING, and it drives. me. in. sane. (But that's another post for another time LOL!)

The co-op days are actually ds's shortest - the rest of the days of his week will be much longer schoolwise. So purely based on TIME, it would be very easy to have him do math on co-op days too. But on the realistic end of things I don't see it happening because he will consider himself D-O-N-E when we get home, and it would just be UGLY.

When I mean "social" by the purpose behind co-op, I don't mean just from his friends. He has other social outlets too. But this gives him the opportunity to learn from someone else, see that other kids have school requirements too, etc. He has been DYING DYING DYING to go to public school so that I won't be his teacher anymore, and this charter has been a decent compromise. So while he hasn't learned anything major academically, he's learning that no, Mom isn't expecting anything out of him that he's unable to produce.

Can someone describe block scheduling? I thought I knew what it was, but now I'm thinking I don't

My kids all have homework on the weekends if they don't get it done during the week. We have classes on Tues and Friday, but later in the afternoon so they can usually get done before then. However, twice a month we have all day (9-4) coop with clubs and such, so they have to do work on Saturdays then.

ETA: I just saw your reply about Saturdays. My oldest son also gets up very early on coop days and is often working by 6:30. Perhaps that would work? Or Sundays. I would give him a couple of options, like do 2 lessons on non-coop day, get up early, or do it on the weekends. Let him know he has to do 5 lessons a week and that is non-negotiable. Unless you are ok with working through the summer. For us, that never seems to happen because of camps and vacations and general laziness!!

Edited by Kim in SouthGa

If the co-op is worth it, just do whatever works to fit the rest in. Mine had some very large pieces of time not at home doing "core" work last year. The big pieces were important to him, so he fit in the core work whenever he could. He did it most evenings, and often at some stage during the weekend. The key was that HE wanted to do the extras, so he knew he had to make the core stuff work. I couldn't have made it happen if I had been the one wanting him to do all that extra.

If the co-op is worth it, just do whatever works to fit the rest in. Mine had some very large pieces of time not at home doing "core" work last year. The big pieces were important to him, so he fit in the core work whenever he could. He did it most evenings, and often at some stage during the weekend. The key was that HE wanted to do the extras, so he knew he had to make the core stuff work. I couldn't have made it happen if I had been the one wanting him to do all that extra.

LOL well...self-motivated when it comes to schoolwork is NOT how I would describe him.:lol:

In previous years co-op day was just co-op and then getting together for lunch afterwards & maybe for some play. This year, with the start of high school courses, I am scheduling some things on the day of co-op, but leaving things off whenever possible. Math & History will need to be done & possibly science some days. He has history and art through the co-op, so he'll be doubling up a bit on history on co-op day so he doesn't run behind. We'll see how it goes this week!

I attend a co-op once a week where I have math and science classes and then I have tennis practice later that afternoon. I do U.S. History 1 from MFW and it has a lighter day on Fridays and I set up my schedule so that the Friday schedule lands on the day of the co-op. I have to do math and latin on the day of the co-op which I will complete during study hall between classes. I find that doing homework after the co-op doesn't work very well for me. Hope this helps!