Menu

Have you ever drugged a kid who didn't need it on purpose?

Have you ever drugged a not-sick kid on purpose?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Have you ever drugged a not-sick kid on purpose?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

Wow! I didn't even know that but I hated giving my kids so much Tylenol. I stopped giving them any meds before a vaccine and they had no reaction whatsoever. The fever was the same and so was the fussiness. There was no change from the Tylenol to no meds. I realized later that Tylenol never helped their fevers so it all seemed so pointless.

It didn't help my kids either, and I was always suspicious that it might interfere with the immune response, so I didn't give it. I also don't like to give my kids tylenol or ibuprofen when they're sick for the same reason. I'll give it if they're really miserable, but otherwise I don't want to mess with their immune system.

I'm surprised and disappointed the study hasn't got more notice in the medical community. It's only one study, of course, so it needs some follow up, but it certainly makes biological sense.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. When we brought our son home from overseas. Many, not all, adoptive parents will give their kids benedryl or dramamine to calm the child. It is a terrifying and overwhelming experience for the child and parents are often advised by the adoption agencies and doctors to use these medicines to help calm the child. Along with bringing a few new books, small toys and other distraction techniques.

My ds was so nervous, he stayed awake all night. We layed on the floor and looking at each other the whole night. He wouldn't break eye contact. I held him, talked to him and tried to soothe him. He was so terrified. He wet his pants twice. So, yes, we gave him some benedryl about 15 min. before we boarded the plane. He was asleep at take-off, woke-up 30 min. into the flight and was delighted by everything he saw. It really helped him get over the initial fear.

Denise

I have. I drove across the country with my 2 kids and a dog. Ds has special needs and could not handle the 5 day trip otherwise. I kept drops of Valerian Root in his juice and it really helped. Judge if you must, but we needed to survive that trip as I was the only adult (read: I was busy driving).

ETA: my son was *horrible* on planes, with the sensory issues from air pressure, so I spoke with my ds's autism dr about a prescription so we could fly that trip. It would have to be a strong sedative in order for his endorphins to not over-ride it. The problem was that if we found a drug strong enough to knock him out for the duration of the 4 hour flight, it would likely be too strong to allow his swallowing to rectify ear popping. So, while he may sleep the flight, he may rupture his eardrums and wake up screaming bloody murder for hours and need to go to the ER. There was no med that would have helped in that situation, so that is why we drove.

Edited by specialmama

No, but I have a sil who did that routinely on her girls. At the slightest peep, or any instance of waking in the middle of the night, she'd dose them up with benadryl, gravol, children's nyquil, children's tylenol -- anything and everything.

Makes me sick to my stomach just to think about all of that. :glare:

I've certainly joked about it, but I've never done it. We have 2 that get carsick regularly, so I have to dose them up with dramamine for longer trips. The groggy and cranky after-effects of coming off those meds are enough to make me not even consider using drugs unless it is absolutely necessary to avoid riding in and cleaning up a car full of sick smell!

Again, I really think the original statement was unfairly written!;) The two examples are very different :tongue_smilie:. Also, I am using your response in a very general sense. I do not neccessarily think you are in the camp condemning those of us who have admitted to giving medicine to not-sick children. :)

Nope I'm not, I have not done it but can see using an antinausea med like gravol prophalactically for along car trip. I can't see myself using benedryl for anything other than it's intended purpose but am not condemning all parents who do so.

I am the type of parent that rarely uses meds for the kids at all, unless I feel it is very much warranted, BUT some things like antinausea meds I can see using a precautionary measure before waiting to see if they really will hurl in my car. I would rather not deal with the chain reaction puking in my van and just give them something to prevent it ahead of time. Just haven't had a need to do so to date.

No, but I have a sil who did that routinely on her girls. At the slightest peep, or any instance of waking in the middle of the night, she'd dose them up with benadryl, gravol, children's nyquil, children's tylenol -- anything and everything.

Makes me sick to my stomach just to think about all of that. :glare:

That makes me sick. I am not against parents who use a medication in an off label way rarely for specific circumstances. But to repeatedly do it jsut because you do not want to take teh time to help your child back to sleep is crossing that line kwim

I didn't read the previous responses. I've never done it personally. I know people who have. It's better than what my mom used to do to get us to sleep, which was to spike our bottles with whiskey. Seriously. :glare:

Lol, I had one of those moms too.:confused:

Btw, the ONE time my hubby travelled with the kids without me? He did not give them Dramamine and ds threw up the *entire* flight from Honolulu to Dallas. *insert evil laugh, and immediate guilt*

My dh travelled with one of my sons overseas without me and did not medicate him. He threw up on his jeans and they put them in a bag and brought them home for me to wash TWO WEEKS LATER! They went straight in the trash.

I have also medicated kids for overseas flights, but I consider that a necessity.

Depends on how you define "need".

:iagree: I've given two of my boys Benedryl to help them sleep, both times when we were traveling.

Once, my then two year old cried (screamed is more like it) from 8pm to 11pm in a little hotel room. I also had a 3 year old and I was pregnant. We gave him Benedryl.

The other was just a couple of weeks ago. We were staying at a friend's lake house and were heading to Six Flags the next day. At 2am, my 11yo still wasn't asleep. He was crying because he was so exhausted. He was anxious because he knew he needed to get some sleep because of our big day coming up. I gave him Benedryl.

Both of those times, I think what I did was appropriate and necessary. Those boys needed sleep and because of the circumstances, Benedryl was the best option.

The FDA information for diphenhydramine hydrochloride AKA Benedryl are below. A lot of the ways it's being used - motion sickness, sleep aid - is an actual indication. It is also considered very safe and has been around a very long time.

INDICATIONS AND USAGE:

Diphenhydramine hydrochloride in the oral form is effective for the following indications:

Antihistaminic:

For allergic conjunctivitis due to foods; mild, uncomplicated allergic skin manifestations of urticaria and angioedema; amelioration of allergic reactions to blood or plasma; dermatographism; as therapy for anaphylactic reactions adjunctive to epinephrine and other standard measures after the acute manifestations have been controlled.

Motion Sickness:

For active and prophylactic treatment of motion sickness.

Antiparkinsonism:

For parkinsonism (including drug-induced) in the elderly unable to tolerate more potent agents; mild cases of parkinsonism (including drug-induced) in other age groups; in other cases of parkinsonism (including drug-induced) in combination with centrally acting anticholinergic agents.

Nighttime Sleep-aid.

The FDA information for diphenhydramine hydrochloride AKA Benedryl are below. A lot of the ways it's being used - motion sickness, sleep aid - is an actual indication. It is also considered very safe and has been around a very long time.

INDICATIONS AND USAGE:

Diphenhydramine hydrochloride in the oral form is effective for the following indications:

Nighttime Sleep-aid.

Yes.

It's given because there aren't really any other options for kids. It's known to be safe (if given correctly), while sleep aids used by adults haven't been tested in kids and even if they might be safe, dosages haven't been established.

I'll admit to it. We were on a flight from Singapore to mid-USA. It was a 27 hour flight..not including layovers. 32 hours with. Her internal alarm clock was ALL messed up and my 6 year old was MISERABLE. Meltdown crying on the plane and I was meltdown tired on the plane. Yes...I gave her benadryl and yes, I would do it again in that situation.

I'm really wondering if I'm the only one with kids who love to fly and have since they were really young (toddlers though one had his first flight at 13 weeks). They look forward to the flight and have never been a problem on one. They either look out the window or amuse themselves with their carry on stuff (not the infant, of course, but he still never cried on the flight). It doesn't matter how long the flight is.

I'd take the credit for parenting, but I don't think that's it since they've been that way since toddlerhood or earlier.

They also enjoy long car rides and have never had electronic entertainment for those (DVD, hand-held games, etc). They make up their own games in the back and all three played together quite nicely.

I guess maybe it has to do with the "travel" gene my family has. I remember enjoying long trips in the truck with my dad when he had to go pick up equipment or our family car trip vacations with fondness.