Menu

Hypothetically....

mo2

If you were expecting a few lean years in the future, what curriculum/books would you go ahead and purchase in preparation for that? Assume that you aren't going to be able to buy shiny-new curriculum each year, or even used curriculum. Books that span several years would be great (like WRTR, maybe?).

You could use STOW for two history cycles if you were able to supplement from the library on the second cycle. TOG could be used for all three cycles.

Spelling Power has all levels.

I bought the PE Science Explorer books to use with my logic dd, and I am creating unit studies on the same topics she is studying for my younger ds. So you could possibly use those over a number of years, again with library supplementation.

I would buy these:

-Creek Edge Press task cards - the four World History sets, US history, and various science ones.

-History Encyclopedia

-Science Encyclopedia

-Mysteries and Marvels of Science/Nature

-Gizmos and Gadgets

-Fizz, Bubble, Flash

-a good atlas

-Writing Strands 2, 3, and 4

That would leave me to buy math each year in the curriculum of our choice.

I'm always anticipating leaner years ahead. To that end, I try to spend more of my time in the library and less looking at curricula. I try to find and note books from the library that meet the standards I'm looking for in my teaching methods.

Then I go to my used bookstore. I try to make a trip at least once a month, sometimes twice a month. Since I use TWTM as a guide I know in a general sense what I will be looking for. And then I improvise. I've found resources for our Medieval study this year that are not found in TWTM but are ones that I've looked through, enjoyed and in some cases found to be a better choice for me than what I went out looking for. Because we have a good bookstore with a knowledgeable owner who has a passion for rare books, we tend to get a lot of good stuff at very reasonable cost, locally and no shipping.

Next, I hit the internet looking for free vintage books. There is a lot of good stuff out there, and it costs me only the time to look for it and the printing ink. Granted this can be tedious, and there is always the temptation to take on more books that can be used. But this is how I got all my grammar, spelling, dictation exercises, readers and reading instruction for a good long time. And I cornered a great drawing text.:tongue_smilie:(The American Drawing book-John Chapman, 1847)

Math--if it really got lean, I'd use MEP. Currently we use Math Mammoth, but I've used MEP this summer and really like it. For older children (mine are 7), I'd go to using either vintage math texts, or I might end up utilizing the MIT free courses online.

For me it was not hypothetically, but reality. these are the books I have that span years and are non consumable so they can be used for the whole family or resold.

McGuffey readers - I found the entire boxed set of the origional- brown and tan- for $26 ppd in like new conditions. This goes K-high.

Primary language lessons and intermediate Language lessons- First book last 2 years and the second last 3. Cost about $30 for both new

Strayor- uptom math- book 1 last 2 years and includes lessons, and answers in back. no need for te. About $15 new and there are two more to follow.

Science and history I could wing with what i have if I really have to. you can use the library too.

My experience with pre-buying is that you may not end up using everything that looks great now. So, if I had to prepare for lean years, I would create a designated savings account, put whatever money I would want to spend now into it, and buy curriculum later when it is needed.

If you were expecting a few lean years in the future, what curriculum/books would you go ahead and purchase in preparation for that? Assume that you aren't going to be able to buy shiny-new curriculum each year, or even used curriculum. Books that span several years would be great (like WRTR, maybe?).

My experience with pre-buying is that you may not end up using everything that looks great now. So, if I had to prepare for lean years, I would create a designated savings account, put whatever money I would want to spend now into it, and buy curriculum later when it is needed.

true, but you can always re-sale if need be. and if you got it second hand to begin with you can re-coop the money without any loss. for me it is better to have books on hand than money in a savings. money has a tendency to dissolve before my very eyes! LOL

Good point, but then the money would probably end up going for food or other necessities even if it was "designated." :)

And sometimes, when you're poor, you don't have the luxury of picking the curriculum that is best suited to your child's learning style or your teaching style or whatever. Sometimes you have to take something that is good, thorough, but cheap, and adapt it to your child. I guess I'm looking for the good, thorough, cheap, multiyear resources that I COULD make work if I HAD to.

How to Teach Spelling b/c it can be used 1st-12th

and then the only other investment I would make would be in books like WTM or Designing Your Own Classical Curriculum. Knowing how to design your own and do it well, means that you can do it w/whatever books you are able to gather cheaply or from your library. You can use free grammar books online.

I would never skim on math. I would figure out a way to purchase what I needed every yr (at that time. not purchasing ahead.)

McGuffey readers - I found the entire boxed set of the origional- brown and tan- for $26 ppd in like new conditions. This goes K-high.

I like the *idea* of these but I've always been afraid to buy them because I am unsure of the religious content.

Strayor- uptom math- book 1 last 2 years and includes lessons, and answers in back. no need for te. About $15 new and there are two more to follow.

Where do you buy these?

Hypothetically, what grades do you need to plan for?

Hypothetically, with the ages of my hypothetical children, I would be planning for ALL grades, but mostly K-8, because it's hard to look as far into the future as high school. ;)

I would do something like this.

Tapestry of Grace - print editions (in case I didn't have Internet access)

Rod & Staff Grammar - textbooks can be used over and over

I can't give up my clp math, but I would possibly use plastic/dry erase markers on the workbooks and use the alternative light unit tests in the TM. You COULD just use the TM and write out the workbook pages on a dry erase board if you were desperate.

Depending on the ages of your kids and your tolerance for parent intensiveness, look at two Writing With Ease options:

1). The 4-year handbook: more work for you, but for the cost of one small hardbound book that you can get second-hand, that's four years of writing, copy work, and (I don't go that far) but if you are really creative, spelling and basic grammar for the ongoing cost only of paper and pencils.

2). More expensive, but controllable if you don't need to print, download pdf's of the WWE workbooks. Same thing, but with each day's lessons spelled out for you. You can copy the copy work to notebook paper, and read from the computer screen to save paper and ink/toner. A bonus here is great literature ideas for the library.

Math Mammoth goes on sale periodically, and for the quality of the program, the price is hard to beat. Again here, if you have more than one kiddo, go with the download-- then your purchase is fully usable by more than one child. Again with the paper and ink... I have heard creative ideas on these boards if it comes to saving there... Print on fast draft, write on sheet protectors and wipe off, do problems on a white board... Etc.

History: Get a history spine like Usborne or Kingfisher second-hand, and/or buy a reasonable outline program like History Oddysey (just photocopy the maps for multiple kids) or download MapTrek for maps (or one of a gazillion free map sources) and fill in with awesome books from the library, both fiction and non-fiction and poetry. There is your. History, geography, literature, and memory work on a shoestring. I love the (free!) geography suggestion in "The Core" to have them draw a blob map every day until they can do it from memory (just a circle or oval for each continent, but each must cross the correct great circle and Prime Meridian). Then add the oceans and major seas until memorized. Then one by one pick a continent and learn to draw it with countries and mountains and major rivers. You have about 12 years, so no need to pressure them!

math. in my case that would be saxon and rod and staff. everything else can be found at the library, even for high school.

the internet has tons of free stuff and the net can be accessed at the library also.

If I could buy almost nothing....

I'd stock up on a copy of Singapore for each level & some page protectors/dry erase markers.

I'd get BFSU 1 and 2 for science.

I'd get Nebel's Elementary Education.

I'd get a couple of logic books and use them to branch out & create my own logic pages for each student.

I'd use the free published ToC of curricula I liked to structure my own.

I'd use the library and Google books for foreign language, poetry, history, reading, etc.

I might get a laser printer & a couple of toner refills to print whatever you need. You could then use MEP for math & just print it.

SOTW or MOH

Primary Language & Intermediate Language Lessons

NaturExplorers & a really good quality science experiment book {one with 100 or 365 experiments in it}

I might also try and fork out for used math programmes in varying levels.

That'd be it because honestly if you had the first 3 things you can reuse them over and over expecting more each time from the different grade levels. If you had some math to start with you could sell the finished books and use that money to purchase the ones you'd now need.

That's my answer :iagree:

I also just had a thought that i'd probably preplan my goals for homeschooling. Something similar to the ideas suggested in Planning your CM education {ebook and workshop on dvd at SCM.com} because then I'd know what my end goal was and what I'd need to get there.

Honestly though, I bet, math aside, you could do it for free if you had access to a good library. :D

My son is 4,s o apply salt grains liberally...

I have also thought hard about what to do if our income were to fall drastically, as I anticipate it will inthe near future. Here is what I would do...

Math-

Strayer Upton - about $45 for all math up to algebra. Then, a solid algebra, geometry, pre-calc, and calc text. These might be able to be salvaged at a school sale, library sale, etc. I would supplement these by learning about how young kids learn math, and creating appropriate manipulatives. For another $60, I would add Miquon, but this would be only if the budget allowed.

Grammar- I would buy a full grammar reference book, then print off someone else's scope and sequence and teach it myself, in conjunction with PLL and ILL.

For writing, I would probably buy just the TWSS from IEW, and then teach it myself. If that were too expensive, maybe do the WWE book for a better lesson plan layout.

For reading, I would use Webster's Speller (free), and library books, possibly the McGuffry reader set mentioned above. I would stock up on Classics. Also, probably some good reference texts on literary analysis

Spelling- How To Teach Spelling

Science- Nebel's three books, plus nature study and gardening

History- Timeline cards, book lists from other curricula, a good encyclopedia (like those mentioned in WTM) for each stage.

Art- an art appreciation encyclopedia, plus drawing

Music- Music Master's CDs boxed set, plus library, and try to barter piano lessons for something

Geography- Evan Moore, a children's atlas and a "real" atlas, and some map outlines to fill in