Menu

I wish I had $250,000!!!!

You won't believe this house - check it out!

HUGE house near me!

I've passed this house multiple times, but would never have thought it was that cheap.

The only thing I had to laugh at was the "good schools" comment as only the middle school is "good" by any stretch of the imagination!:tongue_smilie:

ETA: This is more our price range.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/130-Fleming-Dr_Durham_NC_27712_M52041-43970

Edited by Renee in FL

Are you looking to buy right now?

DH would never go for that house on only .25/acre, at least not in NC. We have 2.5 acres and he would prefer to live on 10.

Dawn

PS: Honestly, I see a lot of potential in that 2nd house!

DH would never go for that house on only .25/acre, at least not in NC. We have 2.5 acres and he would prefer to live on 10.

Dawn

We have 10 and dh would prefer to live on 150! :D

Dawn

I like the second house, too. I was just shocked at the price of the first one. Dh says no way would he live in the first one because you can touch your neighbors' houses

Wow...that's lovely. I thought the homes down there cost a lot more than that. My sis lives in Durham, btw.

Generally they aren't - this is really, really cheap. Also, it is in North Durham, not the more desireable Southwest Durham (or the progressive downtown.) Our landlord wants $155K for the place we live in, which is why it is being rented out rather than sold.:tongue_smilie: It's a 1200 square foot doublewide, but we do have a HUGE more secluded lot.

Thought about it again and maybe it is an error. That is soooo low.

There is another similar one a few houses down that is listed at $269K. There was a doublewide in Rougemont listed a few weeks ago at $49K.

We're not really looking for a house because we're not in a position to buy, but I like looking.;)

I'm weird. I like the second house better. I'm not a McMansion girl, I guess! But I agree, that price is amazing.

Yeah, I probably wouldn't be happy with my neighbors that close. I drive through that neighborhood all the time and never see kids outside playing, which would be the only reason I would want to be in a neighborhood.:D

Really?? This would be more like what we could afford (probably couldn't even afford that). Seriously....this is the kind of thing my dh would be looking at. But....I would *have* to have a kitchen sink...so I guess this one won't do.

Actually, where we are from (*not* an expensive area), we paid $40,000 and it's just a junky mobile home. So, I was curious what was under $40,000 where you are (which is how I came upon that house).

My sister lives near Charlotte and she has a gorgous house. OMG! I don't know what they paid for it, but brother-in-law said it was really cheap. But he said the taxes are a killer. I wonder if this is the case for the most part in NC.

Really?? This would be more like what we could afford (probably couldn't even afford that). Seriously....this is the kind of thing my dh would be looking at. But....I would *have* to have a kitchen sink...so I guess this one won't do.

Actually, where we are from (*not* an expensive area), we paid $40,000 and it's just a junky mobile home. So, I was curious what was under $40,000 where you are (which is how I came upon that house).

My sister lives near Charlotte and she has a gorgous house. OMG! I don't know what they paid for it, but brother-in-law said it was really cheap. But he said the taxes are a killer. I wonder if this is the case for the most part in NC.

As I said in another post, we aren't in a postion to buy (so this is all hypothetical), but you would NOT buy that house on Dawkins. That is in a BAD part of town (as in there is a danger of being shot by a stray bullet bad.) It's for sale that cheap because they can't give it away.:tongue_smilie:

As I said in another post, we aren't in a postion to buy (so this is all hypothetical), but you would NOT buy that house on Dawkins. That is in a BAD part of town (as in there is a danger of being shot by a stray bullet bad.) It's for sale that cheap because they can't give it away.:tongue_smilie:

Oh yes...I know you aren't looking to buy. This was just for fun (although my dh loves fixer-uppers). So....no problem...I'll take your advice and NOT buy that house on Dawkins street then. ;)

I would be more concerned about the neighborhood in that area!

We live near Charlotte and I find the taxes pretty reasonable, but we moved from a much higher tax area.

Dawn

Oh yes...I know you aren't looking to buy. This was just for fun (although my dh loves fixer-uppers). So....no problem...I'll take your advice and NOT buy that house on Dawkins street then. ;)

This did get me to look up the housing assistance programs in Durham and it looks like we would qualify next year or the year after for one of the programs.:D And you don't even *have* to buy in a "blighted" area.

Wow, I have to wonder if that is a typo. That seems way underpriced. We would be all over that if we were still in Durham! (moved away 4 years ago)

You may be right - it is way less than other comparable homes. However, the houses in that subdivision aren't moving, so it is possible that the builder wants to unload it at whatever he can get.

Here is my "if money were no object" house:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/604-Mason-Rd_Durham_NC_27712_M64885-26019

ETA: Not far from town, lots of space, nice area...

:w00t: :drool:

I am oohing and ahhing over that one. Wow! OK forget fixer-uppers. I want that!

Now....in comparing this kitchen to the other one....I would have to hands down agree that the other one is ugly compared to this.

Oh man! This just ruined my night!

:001_smile:

Now....in comparing this kitchen to the other one....I would have to hands down agree that the other one is ugly compared to this.

I could have a school room there!:D I am, of course, including a full-time housekeeper in that money-is-no-object dream. Or maybe just a "mother's helper" and twice a week cleaning service. Or something. I don't think the kids and I could get all that cleaning done in an hour per day!

It's good to dream, right?:D

Renee, judging by these listing areas, you are not far from my friend who knows some organic /biodynamic farming folks. I emailed her. There is a lot of good people (not wealthy) people growing good food and raising pastured animals. She is also part of a hsing group. It seems like a pretty progressive area in the food -growing department. You might luck out this time!

I can't believe what houses cost where you are!

I also can't believe anyone would want to pay for the utilities to heat or cool something that big, or would want to clean it.

Well, SOMEONE has to be the exception that proves the rule. My dream is a 'tiny house'. Our current 1200 sqft is TOO BIG, especiallly now that another kid is moving out in a few weeks (leaving us with four full time kids and two shared custody kids). We even have two bathrooms, and I can assure you that I do NOT want to clean two bathrooms.

That 1st house is a good deal. I don't know Durham too well though. We live in Raleigh.

Renee, judging by these listing areas, you are not far from my friend who knows some organic /biodynamic farming folks. I emailed her. There is a lot of good people (not wealthy) people growing good food and raising pastured animals. She is also part of a hsing group. It seems like a pretty progressive area in the food -growing department. You might luck out this time!

I would love this info too, please! I live nearby as well.

I say we get a couple of us and go in together. Maybe start a WTM commune? Sooner or later we will need to live in houses with two or more families just to survive.

I can't believe what houses cost where you are!

I also can't believe anyone would want to pay for the utilities to heat or cool something that big, or would want to clean it.

Well, SOMEONE has to be the exception that proves the rule. My dream is a 'tiny house'. Our current 1200 sqft is TOO BIG, especiallly now that another kid is moving out in a few weeks (leaving us with four full time kids and two shared custody kids). We even have two bathrooms, and I can assure you that I do NOT want to clean two bathrooms.

I have 6dc in 1200 square feet, too, and it really is a great size/layout for us. If we won the lottery and could afford the HUGE house, I may find that I hate it. Dh would be happy with a log cabin style home on a lot of acreage. I want to be closer to town than he does (because I do all the driving for activities.) My "dream: included a housekeeper and maid service because I don't want to clean it either.

To do smaller than we have, we would have to downsize belongings again and get rid of some furniture. That would be in the form of bookshelves, most likely. I don't like getting rid of books!:tongue_smilie: