Menu

how to discuss medical marijuana

simply put...i am all for it and completely legal in my state. doesn't mean my kids see it or know it, but when public school is teaching D.A.R.E., i am just wondering when is the right time to have an anti-drug talk with my ds, and how to discuss marijuana medicinely as opposed to the other drugs that i want him to stay away from! understand, this isn't coming from a "pothead" but a concerned responsible mom who grows and uses herbs of ALL kinds! currently 3 kinds of basil growing, oregano, thyme, parsley, lavendar, eccinachea, chamomille, lemongrass, bee's balm, marjoram, calendula, you get the picture....

If you are going to discuss drug abuse with him, I'd put it in the category of misusing prescription medication. Painkillers have a specific purpose, which is pain relief. Using them to get high is not healthy or safe behavior, and using them at all without a prescription is illegal.

I've started having conversations with ds about drug abuse. The way I handle it, I define all drugs, both legal or illegal, as being potentially harmful. I told ds that many of these drugs have good uses though, so the law allows for them to be sold and prescribed by doctors. However, these drugs can still cause harm if people don't take them the way they are supposed to, or if they become addicted.

And then, there are some drugs with really no benefit, like cocaine or heroin, and these are just not legal under any circumstances, because of how dangerous they are. Finally, I told him that marijuana is illegal in most places, because it can cause harm. But, because it can help some very sick patients, sometimes exceptions are made to the law and it can be prescribed.

So, that's how I approach it.

All drugs = potential harm

Many drugs = offer benefits

Some drugs = extremely dangerous

And then work the legal aspect around it. I try to make clear that drug abuse is not predicated upon the drug being illegal, since many, many people become addicted to legally prescribed meds all the time. The law is a tool to try to limit the exposure people have to dangerous drugs, but it's not fool proof.

Edited by Aelwydd

If you are going to discuss drug abuse with him, I'd put it in the category of misusing prescription medication. Painkillers have a specific purpose, which is pain relief. Using them to get high is not healthy or safe behavior, and using them at all without a prescription is illegal.

:iagree: When the dc and I have discussed drug use/abuse, I make sure to explain that even "good" drugs (like the ones doctor's perscribe) can be used in a bad way.

Drugs can be used appropriately or inappropriately. Most drugs are not "good" or "bad," they just are. Heart medicine is helpful for someone with heart problems, but harmful for someone without heart problems. Pain medicine is helpful to people in pain, but can be harmful for people to take too often. Marijuana can help people who feel pain all the time, are sick from cancer, or have other medical problems, but like other drugs it can be harmful to use it "for fun" because it can change how you think, which can lead to dangerous situations.

That's the sort of stuff I tell my kids. :) Honestly, I think alcohol is far more dangerous than recreational pot....

except for the part about marijuana being harmful. it isn't, and it may in fact BE the cure for cancer, and it is illegal because it is too hard for the government to regulate it, and it would cut into the drug companies pockets WAY too much. other than that, i love the advice rebekkah...thanks!

except for the part about marijuana being harmful. it isn't, and it may in fact BE the cure for cancer, and it is illegal because it is too hard for the government to regulate it, and it would cut into the drug companies pockets WAY too much. other than that, i love the advice rebekkah...thanks!

Well, it induced months-long psychosis in someone very close to me, so I don't think it's harmless to everyone. That said, I agree with VeritaSerum that it probably doesn't present anymore harm than alcohol for most people, and I would support the legalization of it.

ETA: Glad my post was helpful!

I've started having conversations with ds about drug abuse. The way I handle it, I define all drugs, both legal or illegal, as being potentially harmful. I told ds that many of these drugs have good uses though, so the law allows for them to be sold and prescribed by doctors. However, these drugs can still cause harm if people don't take them the way they are supposed to, or if they become addicted.

And then, there are some drugs with really no benefit, like cocaine or heroin, and these are just not legal under any circumstances, because of how dangerous they are. Finally, I told him that marijuana is illegal in most places, because it can cause harm. But, because it can help some very sick patients, sometimes exceptions are made to the law and it can be prescribed.

So, that's how I approach it.

All drugs = potential harm

Many drugs = offer benefits

Some drugs = extremely dangerous

And then work the legal aspect around it. I try to make clear that drug abuse is not predicated upon the drug being illegal, since many, many people become addicted to legally prescribed meds all the time. The law is a tool to try to limit the exposure people have to dangerous drugs, but it's not fool proof.

I like this, too.

And I agree with the OP that the drug companies benefit from keep pot illegal.

You know, I think the whole "marijuana is bad, don't do it" message backfires because when kids try it they realize that it's not what adults said. That may lead some to try other forbidden drugs that are extremely dangerous and addictive--not because pot is a gateway drug, but because the adults lose credibility by saying all illegal drus are dangerous and addictive.

You know, I think the whole "marijuana is bad, don't do it" message backfires because when kids try it they realize that it's not what adults said. That may lead some to try other forbidden drugs that are extremely dangerous and addictive--not because pot is a gateway drug, but because the adults lose credibility by saying all illegal drus are dangerous and addictive.

Yes. 100%.

I'd rather have that legal than alcohol anyway. Drunks get belligerent and hit you. Stoners hug you and eat your nachos.

I approach it similarly to Rebekah: all drugs have an area of legitimate use, as well as risks attached. When they are used outside their scope of legitimate use, it is abuse. Abuse is unhealthy at best (marijuana, antibiotics) and dangerous at worst (narcotics). Substances that have no legitimate use - e.g. paint thinner, crack - are life threatening every.single.time.

We have also discussed how abuse of the toxic effects of propellants, cold medicines and whatnot damage organs. And how use of anything to mask psychological pain means that you are not only causing an unhealthy physical state, but an unhealthy mental/spiritual state as well. (including food, cutting, etc)

I have no idea what "bath salts" are in this context... Off to google to put it on my list (not that my kids have opportunity to learn about such things, but since I've learned there have to be rules about not pooping in the yard and other "obvious" situations, I like to have all bases covered)

I think hemp gets a bad wrap, and is not exactly what we have been taught about it.

Our FIRST FLAG was made from hemp, the first Levis were made from hemp, superior paper and fabric is made from hemp......

Hemp makes a supstance strong enough to build a car and fuel to run the same car.

There are strains of this plant that will not get anyone high, one can only guess why this stuff is not legal, it would create too much competition for certain industries.

One way to make sure you don't have competitors is lobby for laws to quash your competitors, seems to be the American way.:tongue_smilie:

I'm not saying I know your friend, but a months-long psychosis is symptomatic of a deeper cause than weed.

Yes, I agree. I wasn't claiming that the marijuana was the underlying cause of the psychosis. I said it induced the psychosis.

For most people, it's not going to cause any harm, IMO. However, in vulnerable individuals, it can escalate a very dangerous underlying condition.

It's like any other drug in that respect. If I have a headache, I can take a few acetamenophen pills and be fine. A person with a liver disease, however, faces acute danger from the same (usually) harmless drug.

:iagree: Absolutely! The scare-mongering, and treating all illegal substances as equally dangerous can seriously backfire.

:iagree: It gets overdone and the adults lose creditibility. I ran across this with my oldest. She knows kids who smoke pot "recreationally" and she sees them coming to school, getting good grades, star athletes, etc. Then she asks me what the big deal is. I explain it the same way I explain the risks of drinking - some people can handle it, keep it in moderation and have full productive lives. Other people can't. And you never know which category you fall into until it happens. I also explained that pot is illegal (NJ has approved medical marijuana but is still working out the details, I believe) with possible strong penalties that can be way worse than underage drinking (which we also warn against). That she can get into legal trouble just being around someone in possession, or being in a car with it.

FWIW, I do think pot should be legal with the same kind of age and driving restrictions as drinking.

Veritaserum -- Your post reminded me of something someone told me once. She said D.A.R.E, not marijuana, was her "gateway drug". She tried marijuana, enjoyed it, suffered no ill effects, etc. Since D.A.R.E. lumped all the drugs together as "equally bad", why not try the other stuff, too? Last I heard, she was addicted to meth, though it's been a while.

I really like some of the ideas for conversation posted, and will definitely be keeping them in mind. My 7yo hasn't gotten anywhere near to asking about drugs yet, though we have started to discuss "safe" alcohol usage.

Yes. 100%.

I'd rather have that legal than alcohol anyway. Drunks get belligerent and hit you. Stoners hug you and eat your nachos.

:lol: Serious topic, but that made me laugh. Yeah, I almost posted above that a stoned person is more likely to sit at home and giggle while scarfing down a pan of brownies than he is to drive a car or get in a fight.

I've explained to my DD, that there are some people who will try certain drugs, be just fine, and then go on to live a normal life.

Then there are others who will try them and be seriously hurt by them, or those that have an addictive personality or genetic disposition and will then struggle with a drug addiction the rest of their lives.

I have a brother who recently died from liver disease. He started on pot at 16 and went on from there. I know many others who smoked pot when they were teens, and then became normal responsible adults.

The problem is, you don't know which you will be until it happens. So I reason with her on why anyone would want to take that risk.

:lol: Serious topic, but that made me laugh. Yeah, I almost posted above that a stoned person is more likely to sit at home and giggle while scarfing down a pan of brownies than he is to drive a car or get in a fight.

Mentioning brownies reminded me of something that happened to a friend of mine (in another country)

He made a pan of "special" brownies without remembering about the munchy effect.

He ate 2 of them and felt pretty fine, other than being hungry. Well -- there was nothing to eat except -- more brownies. So he ate some more brownies.

But they made him hungrier ... so he ate -- more brownies.

The results were impressive -- he never repeated that mistake again.

My kids are young enough that we haven't had to have an explicit discussion yet, but I plan on telling them that we (dh and I) as a family believe that the current laws regarding marijuana are wrong. When the time comes we'll probably talk about pot in the same manner that we would talk about alcohol: that it is for adults to use safely, responsibly and in moderation if they chose to use it at all.

FWIW, I really think that by the time my children are old enough for this to be a real issue that it will be legal in most states or at the very least decriminalized. At that point our discussion isn't so much about possible legal repercussions and more about making responsible, healthy choices.

Since it is very likely my children will see MJ in public use, we have had neutral discussions about it since the kids were small. It is legal for medical use here, and my children have had no problem understanding all the points that the previous folks have mentioned.

They are more scared of processed food at this point than MJ! :D

Guess I made them watch too many Food, Inc -type documentaries....

(ETA: and yes, they are always reminding me that my daily coffee is addictive, alters my personality, and contains toxins. Sigh. )

yes, but all the other stuff too! kids are doing something called "bath salts" around here....frequently,. yikes!

Too bad it isn't shower soap that the teens are talking about -- I'd love for my 12 yo ds to get into that... It would sure freshen things up at home...

Just jokin...

As for MMJ, it's legal in our state but I simply hate the way it's done. Unlike other legal Rx meds, which are all sold at the local Walgreens pharmacy, etc., MMJ is its own industry here. There are new strip mall shops with catchy names opening all the time. They advertise in the free alternative newspaper that's given out at the library, restaurants, and all. In front of the stores, they have kids (long haired slouched over teens...) holding signs advertising what they have for what price. Many of these places (if not all) have on-site doctors that you can walk in and see. They diagnose you with something and write a prescription for MMJ. It's not treated like any other Rx med. I'm trying to imagine the same sort of racket for penicillin! Ha ha.

So, we've just talked with the kids explaining that while there IS a place for MMJ in the treatment of chronic pain and chemo nausea, etc. But from all appearances, in our community at least, it sure appears to simply be legal recreational drug dealing in most cases.

In Alaska there is no penalty, under state law, for possession of up to an ounce cut or six plants in your (your being adults) home. It is illegal however to buy, sell, or transport. Interestingly smelling pot outside a residence is not probable cause for a search warrant.

If someone has a medical marijuana card they or an authorized representative can transport it from their providers home to theirs by the the most direct route. There are no "pharmacies".

ETA: if your found to be transporting a small amount of personal use MJ they will confiscate it and issue you a citation with an order to appear in court. No arrest. Many law enforcement officers just feel they have more important things to do then locking up potheads all day.

Edited by akmommy

I agree. However, the culture around regular pot smokers is also dangerous. While Refer Madness was, well, madness, pot is non innocuous as a recreational drug.

Pot is not "addictive" in and of itself, but a person can become addicted to it (similar to alcohol).

There is also a pattern of diminished productivity and diminished ambition in a percentage of regular smokers.

I agree. However, the culture around regular pot smokers is also dangerous. While Refer Madness was, well, madness, pot is non innocuous as a recreational drug.

Pot is not "addictive" in and of itself, but a person can become addicted to it (similar to alcohol).

There is also a pattern of diminished productivity and diminished ambition in a percentage of regular smokers.

The culture around alcoholics is dangerous, too. Also, drunks aren't exactly noted for being productive and ambitious. ;)

There really aren't any logical reasons to keep marijuana illegal if alcohol is legal. Both can be abused or used responsibly by adults.

The culture around alcoholics is dangerous, too. Also, drunks aren't exactly noted for being productive and ambitious. ;)

There really aren't any logical reasons to keep marijuana illegal if alcohol is legal. Both can be abused or used responsibly by adults.

Hm. I think pot should be legal. I agree with your second paragraph.

But the *culture* around High Times/head shop/mj is natural and a panacea types is specific, entrenched, and unhealthy. I am not anti-pot; but I have also seen damage done by pot-lobbyists.

Hm. I think pot should be legal. I agree with your second paragraph.

But the *culture* around High Times/head shop/mj is natural and a panacea types is specific, entrenched, and unhealthy. I am not anti-pot; but I have also seen damage done by pot-lobbyists.

Ok, I agree with that. :)

I am as real and honest as I can be about mind altering substances with my kids. I do not put them all in the same catetagory and frequently remind them there is a HUGE difference between dope and speed or heroine- I talk about the addictive side.

My bf before I was with dh, who is still a good friend of ours, had his schizophrenia induced by dope- while we were together, before it was diagnosed. I know first hand the extremes of what can happen- this man, 20 years later, is still mentally ill, although managing ok.

So, my kids have seen a first hand case of severe effects. And, they know their parents have smoked, when younger. That doesn't stop us telling them it can just make you apathetic and "dopey", and that for some people it can make them paranoid...and again, others obviously enjoy it. We tlak about why people do these things.

The same as with alcohol....both my kids are already relaxed, extroverted, and socially competent. They don't need alcohol or dope to loosen them up. That hasn't stopped them trying them...I am not naive. But I asked both of them recently how it was and neither enjoyed dope at all...it made them withdrawn and paranoid (as it always did for me, so I hardly used it at all). For them- that's not fun at all!

In our case I knew they would try. I gave them all the information I could. They tried. They may try again. They didn't enjoy. But the mystery is gone.

Dd was telling me that amongst her friends if anyone wants to try anything more than alcohol of dope, they are clearly excluded from her social group. She was reassuring me- this is why I keep this conversation open with them- I want to be told, even if I don't like what I hear.

I do not find walking this path with my teens easy at all. I would love to make sure they never touch anything...but its not realistic here so we handle it this way and so far....not perfect but ok.