Menu

Math for an atypical Kindergartener...

Stacie Leigh

DD is almost 5 and very excited to start school. She completed several workbooks for fun last year and taught herself to read CVC words and CVCC words several months ago.

I've looked at Singapore Essentials for K and Earlybird and both seem too juvenile for her but 1A and 1B require a decent amount of writing including being able to write out numbers well above 10 if I remember correctly and writing/reading words like "lighter", "heavier", etc... She is so not there yet on the reading/English end yet, but she's close conceptually on the math.

Thoughts? :bigear:

Have you taken a look at Math Mammoth 1 to see if that would work for her? That has been my choice and it's going well.

She doesn't seem quite ready... I'm using MM 1 for my first grader who is mildly math challenged and 21 months older than she is.

I don't want to waste my money on something too simple buy I want her to feel like she can tackle it without stress and not relate frustration to math.

Welcome to asynchronous development! If you go to the Accelerated Learners forum, you'll see lots of posts about that. ;)

You can scribe for her while she learns how to write the numbers, or you could start in Singapore Essential Math K book B. It gets into number bonds and such and would be something for her to do that would be fun and easy enough. Or you could do book A also to work on learning to write the numbers, and just skip some of the sections. Those books are cheap, and she might enjoy them even if they're easy. Five year olds usually like easy stuff.

We used RightStart B for K. my DD loved it. lots of games, oral questions, skip counting, patterns, manipulatives, and work with the whiteboard. we had handwriting issues as well and this program worked well. On the few lessons that used a worksheet, I would only require her to write out half during the lesson and the rest was finished either after lunch or at the start of the next day.

Edited by Coffeemama
Comma

I guess I misunderstood the writing limits. Hmm .. well, Mathematics Power Learning Level 1 allowed my son to progress in math without needing to write or read. He could but didn't like writing for math for some reason. I still use it as a supplement to MM and think it's actually what has made MM 1A so easy for him - he already is familiar with the number bonds from the finger activities he did with this. It seemed kind of questionable to me at first but I was floored when he spontaneous started adding mentally one day in conversation. Anyway, the text book can be found cheaper on amazon.com. Just another idea. :)

My son was ready for singapore 1a and 1b last year (he was 5) but was not ready for the writing. So he did what he could and I wrote the rest. A few other things that I did to reduce his writing was to write numbers on circle stickers that he could peel and stick in place. That way he was figuring out the answers on his own but not having to write them. We also used number stamps for some pages as well.

Reading, writing, and math abilities don't go hand-in-hand. I wouldn't hold her back in math because she isn't as advanced in reading or writing.

You can do all the reading and writing for her until she is ready for those parts. If you want her to "write" the numbers herself but she doesn't have the handwriting skills yet, you could have her use rubber stamps or stickers.

On the other hand, you could just hold off for a while or try a program designed more for younger kids (like Miquon). At only four years old and "close conceptually" but not quite there yet, you don't want to move too fast and frustrate her by getting into material that is too difficult too soon.

I think Right Start is a great fit for kids who don't like to write or have struggles in that area. In Level A you could almost skip the written work entirely (or as others have said, scribe for your child), and even the amount of writing in Level B (which can also be a starting point depending on the math abilities and maturity of the child) is still much less than other comparable programs, in my opinion.

The lesser emphasis on written work was one of the reasons we chose Right Start when my daughter was half way through K. Even now as we are beginning 2nd grade she tires easily of writing or gets frustrated with trying to make the numbers properly, but as a K'er she could handle almost no writing at all -- yet was ready to progress in math concepts.

Another one who has done the writing for mine until they were ready to no adverse effects. My ds 8 is finally doing all of the writing in his Sing. 3B workbook (will start 4a next week). He is a lefty and his writing is tidy but takes forever and he hates it. I think he sensed I was doing him a favor and seemed to complain less with his copywork. :)

Ds 5 is halfway through 1A and he will write the answers to the first problem or two and then I take over.

Miquon.

Bill

That's where I would have gone, Bill... but for some reason my kids hate Miquon. It's probably because I didn't get creative enough with it and just went straight through the books. Maybe we'll try once more. 6.00 isn't a budget buster.

Right Start is a great place to start, and excellent for kids who don't like worksheets or writing.

She actually loves writing and workbooks. She can write her numbers fine, she just can't write "thirteen" or "eleven" as required in Singapore 1A and 1B.

My daughter was K last year, and she basically went in to Kindergarten already knowing how to add and subtract, BUT, a certain level of readiness was not there.

I used random Kindergarten math material from Currclick, random workbooks, etc, for a few months until my daughter developed skills such as writing numbers and following written directions. I switched her to Math Mammoth 1 around December and she still easily finished it by the end of the year. Sometimes the assignments were a little long for her, but I just let her do 2 pages a day if she got overwhelmed with the quantity, and we still finished.

Thanks so much to everyone... lots to think about and lots of good advice!!

You might take a look at MEP (as Ladydusk suggested) especially at the Lesson Plans. These give "activity based" ideas for teaching. There are, of course, workbooks as well, but the Lesson Plans might be a good start if you are having difficulty getting a "Math Lab" style approach going (which is what I'm reading into your comments about treating Miquon as a workbook).

MEP can be downloaded at no cost so you can take a peek. Even if you only glean some of the lessons (which is what I did) it might be something to keep interest up.

I would try to get the creativity up. Games are good, we have enjoyed the RightStart set but there are many options.

In the Singapore books if you are talking about actually writing out "thirteen" as a English word, don't let that hold you back. When I ran into developmentally inappropriate items I modified (to good effect).

We started using "math names" in any case, so thirteen was 1-Ten 3-Units. We also talked about English and its propensity to have strange names like "thirteen", but don't let the semantic weirdness of our language cause a stumbling block. The kids all understand eventually, there is no reason to impede progress.

Bill

You might take a look at MEP (as Ladydusk suggested) especially at the Lesson Plans. These give "activity based" ideas for teaching. There are, of course, workbooks as well, but the Lesson Plans might be a good start if you are having difficulty getting a "Math Lab" style approach going (which is what I'm reading into your comments about treating Miquon as a workbook).

MEP can be downloaded at no cost so you can take a peek. Even if you only glean some of the lessons (which is what I did) it might be something to keep interest up.

I would try to get the creativity up. Games are good, we have enjoyed the RightStart set but there are many options.

In the Singapore books if you are talking about actually writing out "thirteen" as a English word, don't let that hold you back. When I ran into developmentally inappropriate items I modified (to good effect).

We started using "math names" in any case, so thirteen was 1-Ten 3-Units. We also talked about English and its propensity to have strange names like "thirteen", but don't let the semantic weirdness of our language cause a stumbling block. The kids all understand eventually, there is no reason to impede progress.

Bill

Of course I can count on you to cut through the crap, lol... Thank you for your thoughts!

I think I'm stressing myself out over trying to teach 3 (really, 4) at once and as a result I may be making things more independent than they should be. Heaven knows it's silly to expect a 4 year old to work independently through challenging material. (That's what play is for... duh.) Must.stop.psyching.myself.out!

I usually read the instructions to dd. She is 5 & working through 1B and the IP for 1A. Her reading confidence isn't high enough to just give her the workbook--she does it next to me, with me reading the instructions & redirecting her when she gets distracted (like drawing earmuffs on all of her numbers and snow falling all around, lol). MEP works well with her too--we are using Y1 to supplement. As for the writing, do you mean the words for the number or the number itself? I bought number stamps for my younger to use when she was having some writing trouble.

I tried to get her to do play-based learning with manipulatives but she does NOT do manipulatives. At all. :glare:

My youngest is an accelerated learner. I have found that CLE is gentle enough for the young child. Right now my 4 yr old is working on the 100 level math and its gentle enough that we can do as much or as little and not skip a beat.

Some days we do a whole lesson. Some days we just do the practice from the manual and call it a day and never get to the work in the workbook.

I let her lead.

If you have a child that has difficulty writing you can definitely write out the answers, have them write the answers on a dry erase board. Plus I like how I read the instructions , work together, and then the last half she can work on all by herself (she loves that part). You have an option with CLE to add manipulatives in if you want to use them. My daughter likes those and some days that's all we do.

Edited by TracyR

Of course I can count on you to cut through the crap, lol... Thank you for your thoughts!

I think I'm stressing myself out over trying to teach 3 (really, 4) at once and as a result I may be making things more independent than they should be. Heaven knows it's silly to expect a 4 year old to work independently through challenging material. (That's what play is for... duh.) Must.stop.psyching.myself.out!

Don't think I don't understand how different it would be to teach 3 or 4 full-time, vs after-schooling one. I get it :001_smile:

Bill

Have you taken a look at Math Mammoth 1 to see if that would work for her? That has been my choice and it's going well.

That's what I'm planning to try for my K-er this year. Since you already have it, you can try it out for a while before you spend $ on something else! :)

I wrote things out for my son until he could.

:iagree: If a child is mathy, they can move to mental math for the easy things early. If they aren't that mathy, but ready for something more, you can do it with manipulatives and verbally.

I love SM, and I, personally, would start the program and just adapt. She might surprise you. You can also use number figures on a magnet white board, sort of an AAS with math. :001_smile: