Menu

Book a week in 2011 - week thirty one

Happy Sunday! Today is the start of week 31 in our quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks. Welcome to everyone who is just joining in, welcome back to our regulars and to all who are following our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 books blog to link to your reviews. The link is in my signature.

52 Books Blog - D is for Donohue. Highlighting Keith Donohue and his latest novel - Centuries of June. Created out of myths drawn from all across America, the novel is both a murder mystery and ghost story that takes place entirely in the bathroom of an old house on one night in June, yet it covers five hundred years of American history. Intrigued?

August, the start of a new month, new books. What's on your nightstand this month?

Link to week 30

Centuries of June is next up on my TBR pile. For the A to Z challenge, I'm up to P for authors so going to read Boris Pasternak's Dr. Zhivago. Up to N for titles so next book will be Night Road by Kristin Hannah.

So far A to Z Titles

A. Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy

B. Beatrice and Virgil - Yann Martel

C. Cinders - Michelle Davidson Argyle

D. Delirious - Daniel Palmer

E. Eats, Shoots and Leaves - Lynn Truss

F. Forsaken by Shadow - Kait Nolan

G. Green - Ted Dekker

H. Heatwave - Richard Castle

I. In the Woods - Tana French

J. Janeology - Karen Harrington

K. Kiss the Moon - Carla Neggers

L. L is for Lawless - Sue Grafton

M. Murder in the Marais - Cara Black

A to Z Authors

A. Alton Gansky - The Incumbent

B. Patricia Briggs - River Marked

C. Cherry Adair - Hush

D. Debbie Macomber - Angels Everywhere

E. Elle Newmark - The Sandalwood Tree

F. Diana Pharoah Francis - Crimson Wind

G.Gary Chapman - The Five Love Languages

H. Libby Fischer Hellmann - An Eye for Murder (e-book)

I. Irene Hannon - The Best Gift (e-book)

J. Jody Hedlund - The Preacher's Bride

K. Ben Kane - The Silver Eagle

L. Lara Adrian - Kiss of Heaven

M. Mercedes Lackey - Intrigues

N. Kim Newman - Anno Dracula

O. Tess Oliver - Camille (Ebook)

I think I forgot to post last week . . . My last post (dated later in the previous week) says this (in part): "Yesterday I went to the library and purposely removed myself from my comfort reading zone, and deliberately looked for a couple books whose titles and authors I had never heard of."

The first of those two books was this:

#50 - The Bride's House, by Sandra Dallas. This was a quick read and, to some extent, easy to see what would happen - no real surprises.

The second of those two books was this:

#51 - How Elizabeth Barrett Browning Saved My Life, by Mameve Medwed. Another quick read, somewhat predictable also. The cover blurbs by other authors *assured* me that it was funny - a-laugh-a-page at least. They were wrong, imo. I didn't laugh once throughout the entire novel. What I did do, however, several times, was to stop and re-read a phrase here and there, as the author has a way of taking common, ordinary phrases and terms, and juxtaposing them quite creatively. Otherwise, probably a waste of time - or a qualifier for a beach-read or some-such.

Today, I am starting:

#52 - Dawn's Early Light (Williamsburg Series, vol. 1), by Elswyth Thane.

I read this series LONG years ago and do not remember much of it. It has been on my list to re-read this year, so today I am starting volume one. :)

I first learned about this series because a college professor who taught young adult lit classes for education majors ALWAYS made this series required reading for her course, even though the series is catalogued with adult historical fiction. Many of her students trekked over to the public library (where I worked) to borrow this set.

Here is what wikipedia has:

Thane is most famous for her "Williamsburg" series of historical fiction. The books cover several generations of two families from the American Revolutionary War up to World War II. In later books, the action moves from Williamsburg to New York City, Richmond, Virginia, and England. The novels are, in chronological order:

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ Dawn's Early Light (1943)

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ Yankee Stranger (1944)

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ Ever After (1945)

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ The Light Heart (1947)

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ Kissing Kin (1948)

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ This Was Tomorrow (1951)

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ Homing (1957)

Before I started this post, I read the first couple reader-reviews of each book on Amazon. For the last book, a reviewer posted this: "Although I am not a historian, I have not ever encountered a historical event in one of Ms. Thane's books that was contradicted by any history I have read. She makes history immediate and real by showing how characters you care about are affected by historical events. The history is background to the story; although it contributes significantly to the plot, I never felt I was being lectured. Characterizations ring true; I came to care deeply about the people in the story."

So, I am hoping that I will enjoy this series as much as I recall enjoying it way-back-when! Btw, the seven volumes in this series are what I plan to read next - one after the other!

I read "Lighting Their Fires" by Rafe Esquith and "The Wild Zone" by Joy Fielding. I used to read Fielding's books lots when I was younger but her writing has changed drastically. The storyline was okay in this book but the rest was just downright nasty. I will never read a Fielding book again!

I am now reading "Somewhere Inside" by Laura Ling and the third Harry Potter book (the title escapes me at the moment.)

Currently, I'm reading The Music of Chance by Paul Auster.

"From Library Journal:

This insightful novel is a taut study of the self-contradictory mind living by chance while thinking it can get away with anything. Jim Nashe is a frivolous Boston fireman who needs music as a life crutch. His wife abandons him just before his father dies, leaving him money that he squanders aimlessly while driving around America. Near desperation, he meets a bitter young itinerant gambler, Jack ("Jackpot") Pozzi, who lures him into a losing poker game with two shady recluses, Flower and Stone, on their Pennsylvania estate. Nashe and Pozzi must retire their debt by building a stone wall on the premises: what this Herculean labor does to them is the novel's leitmotif. An interesting story, but some may object that the journalistic prose merely tells the story instead of showing it."

I'm also still working on The Book of Jhereg (which is actually 3 books in 1). I've finished the first 2 books & have started on the 3rd: Teckla.

"Steven Brust's third Vlad Taltos novel shows the author so warmed up to his formula that he could probably turn out a Taltos story in his sleep. And what's nice about this novel is the way in which Brust keeps his saga fresh by changing his approach in small but significant ways.
Teckla
is a novel of personal and political turmoil, featuring some of the most genuine emotions to be found in a fantasy novel this side of George R. R. Martin. And in allowing his series to mature, Brust has thankfully erased some of the more irritating aspects of its prior installments — most notably, its gratingly self-conscious wisecracky humor. What he's replaced it with might strike some fans as a little
too
serious, but in the end,
Teckla
proves to be every bit as satisfying."
Finish reading the review

Another book I'm reading is Living the Simple Life by Elaine St. James (in my constant quest to declutter/simplify, lol).

In the meantime, I have decided to give up on Personal Narrative of a Pilgrimage to Al-Madinah & Meccah (Volume 1) by Sir Richard Burton because I was getting bogged down in it. I made it through about 200 pages & (mostly/somewhat) enjoyed what I read as I found his observations & comments interesting in light of the time when he was writing. However, some of the writing is archaic, the footnotes are extremely long (often taking up 3/4 of a page), etc.... I was just getting too mentally fried to keep wading through it, kwim? :tongue_smilie:

Books read as of July 2011:

The Reluctant Entertainer

A Curable Romantic

A Reliable Wife

Edited by Stacia

I was behind and hadn't posted for a few weeks, but I got caught up while on vacation. Here's the updated list of everything I've read so far:

Listened to:

Evening Class by Maeve Binchy

The Adventures of Sally by P.G. Wodehouse

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night by Mark Haddon

The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

The TigerĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Wife by Tea Obreht

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

Read:

(Fiction)

The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson

Charlie St. Cloud by Ben Sherwood

One Amazing Thing by Chitra Banarjee Divakaruni

Dream Angus by Alexander McCall Smith

The Neddiad by Daniel Pinkwater

The Castaways by Elin Hilderbrand

The Masque of the Black Tulip by Lauren Willig

The Deception of the Emerald Ring by Lauren Willig

The Seduction of the Crimson Rose by Lauren Willig

The Favored Child by Philippa Gregory

The Enchantment of the Night Jasmine by Lauren Willig

Meridon by Philippa Gregory

The Betrayal of the Blood Lily by Lauren Willig

Secret Son by Laila Lalami

Mr. Chartwell by Rebecca Hunt

The Tenth Song by Naomi Ragen

Blood Orange by Drusilla Campbell

The Girl Who Kicked the HornetĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Nest by Stieg Larsson

Still Alice by Lisa Genova

LĂ¢â‚¬â„¢heure des elfes by Jean-Louis Fetjaine

Babyville by Jane Green

Bel Canto by Ann Patchet

(Non Fiction)

Disconnected Kids by Dr. Robert Melillo

Why the Chinese DonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t Count Calories by Lorraine Clissold

Going Gray by Anne Kreamer

The Celtic Realms by Myles Dillon and Nora Chadwick

I think I'm going to start reading Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History by Laurel Thatcher Ulrich tonight.

How did you like that one? I've been wondering about it....

Thanks! :001_smile:

I enjoyed listening to it. It's creepy and weird and violent in some parts, but in general it was an interesting story. It has several intertwined stories, so you could get lost on one of the tangents, but it kept my attention. I wasn't particularly fond of the ending, though. The story just seemed to fizzle out instead of come to a conclusion, but I feel that way about many books, so maybe it's just me.

Anyone like the Sookie Stackhouse books by Charlaine Harris? We don't have cable so I haven't seen True Blood. I liked the Twilight books (please don't throw stones ;)). Would I like these?

I read the first Sookie Stackhouse book & enjoyed it. It was a good 'summer' type read, imo. (Fwiw, I did not like Twilight.at.all. Couldn't finish it.) I will probably read more Sookie books at some point when I need something light & fun. (My 'to read' pile is always huge. :tongue_smilie:)

I haven't seen True Blood either.

I missed last week's thread.

I gave up on Ayn Rand's Fountainhead. I was getting too bored.

I'm listening to Escape by Carolyn Jessop.

On my Nook I'm reading Don Quixote.

I'm also reading The Moonstone and loving it. I don't know how I managed to never hear of Wilkie Collins before now.

Let's see I read a complete fluff book A Modern Fairy Tale :tongue_smilie:

After a reading hiatus I am back on track. Last week I was working on three books simultaneously - a "page turner" that I read whenever I had the time, a slower book that I dutifully read a few chapters of each day, and an audio book that I listed to in bed at night. This worked well, so I'll continue with this approach for a while.

I finished 4 books this week, bringing me to number 21.

The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood was slow moving, but entertaining. Penelope now resides in Hades, and tells us about her life with and wait for Odysseus. The death of her twelve maids features prominently, and the maids form a chorus that intersperse the prose narrative with parts of the story in verse. Apart from the main storyline, there are amusing observations about modern life, as Penelope views it from Hades. The book is part of a series of myths retold by prominent authors - I definitely intend to read more of them.

Paying for It by Tony Black is the first in a series of crime novels set in Edinburgh ("Tartan Noir" as they are termed). It lead me to read up a bit about film noir, and the "hardboiled" crime novel genre - I can see the influences - reading Black's books often feels like watching an old crime movie. The protanganist is a washed up journalist who is drinking himself towards an early grave. There is a lot of focus on disillusionment, inequality and injustice within Scottish society. I read the third novel before this one, and have just started the second novel, and can definitely see that Paying for It was the first in the series - the "voice" is much clearer and more consistent in the second and third novels.

I listened to Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne. I was familiar with the story from the many re-tellings, but had never read the original. It's not had to see why this is a classic - it hits all the notes: the characters are likeable, the settings are well-drawn, the plot is entertaining and amusing, there is plenty of action, and there is a wonderful twist in the tale.

Finally, I very quickly read The Bones in the Womb by Patricia Tyrrell. Twelve years after Cate was abducted from a campsite, the drifter who abducted her (and has cared for her, and contacted her mother each year to report on her well-being) returns her to her mother. I didn't like it at all, but find it hard to say why. On the one hand, it was absorbing, and I kept reading to see what would happen. I was about two thirds of the way through when I realised it wasn't going to have any sort of satisfying resolution. It's what I think of as "an Oprah book" - take a couple of characters, throw a ridiculous assortment of problems at them, watch them resolve them in a way that shows The Indomitable Human Spirit. That said, one of my earlier reads was The Cure for Modern Life which also had the main character facing some unusual (and perhaps unrealistic) problems, yet was a heart-warming read. I have to put it down to the skill with which the respective authors draw the characters - in The Bones in the Womb I never found myself caring about the characters - they were just a vehicle for the plot.

This week I'm reading The Partisan's Daughter by Louis de Bernieres, which has mixed reviews - I'm reading a few chapters a day of this one. I'm also reading Gutted by Tony Black (working my way through the series) and listening to The Three Musketeers.

Now I just have to figure out what to read next. Anyone like the Sookie Stackhouse books by Charlaine Harris? We don't have cable so I haven't seen True Blood. I liked the Twilight books (please don't throw stones ;)). Would I like these?

I thoroughly enjoyed the whole series - more mature than twilight. Once I read the first one, I was hooked. I couldn't watch the show True Blood however. I couldn't stand the actress they chose for Sookie, plus was a bit too graphic in the gore content for me.

Just got back from our local Borders. Still have a lot of books on the shelves and it wasn't too crazy. Picked up Marcia Clark's "Guilt by Association" Anthology "Charmed" by Jayne Ann Krentz and Lori Foster, Toni McGee Causey's "When A Man Loves A Weapon", Iris Johansen's "Blind Alley" and Kay Hooper's first two books in Bishop Trilogy "Stealing Shadows" and "Hiding in the Shadows." They probably won't be closing until mid September so will have to drag hubby down for one last time. Not that we need any more books but just can't pass it up.

I haven't posted in a while but I have been busy reading. I decided to finally read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. Loved it!!

By the time I finished that, The Snowman by Jo Nesbo had come in after weeks of waiting for it from the library. It took me about 50 pages or so to get into but once I did...wow...great book!

Then I went back to Stieg Larsson and read The Girl who Played with Fire. That book seemed to hit the floor running and never stop! This week I'm reading The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. I'll be sad when I'm done with this trilogy....

The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood was slow moving, but entertaining. Penelope now resides in Hades, and tells us about her life with and wait for Odysseus. The death of her twelve maids features prominently, and the maids form a chorus that intersperse the prose narrative with parts of the story in verse. Apart from the main storyline, there are amusing observations about modern life, as Penelope views it from Hades. The book is part of a series of myths retold by prominent authors - I definitely intend to read more of them.

The idea of this series sounds really interesting & I want to look up the info about it; I'm curious about which authors are doing which stories. However, I have never liked any Margaret Atwood book that I have read (nor the ones I have attempted to read). Hmmm....

ETA: For anyone else who is also interested, here is a list of the books in the series of modern authors rewriting various myths:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canongate_Myth_Series

Edited by Stacia

Finished this week:

â–  The Millionaire Next Door (Thomas Stanley)

Non-fiction; personal finance. RDA here. Read this one on the Kindle, too.

â–  Fear the Worst (Linwood Barclay)

Fiction. As I mentioned in May's reading life review, I picked up some Linwood Barclay after seeing Stephen King's summer reading list. Barclay's novels are beach books: capably written, entertaining, and not too easy to piece together halfway through.

So that's 10 for the month of July and 61 year to date.

July (reviews/discussion

here)

â–  Radioactive: Marie & Pierre Curie: A Tale of Love and Fallout (Lauren Redniss; biography, graphic book)

â–  A Short Course in Canon PowerShot S5 IS Photography (Non-fiction)

â–  Short Stories (Doyle, Henry, Poe; fiction)

â–  The Winter's Tale (William Shakespeare; classic, play)

â–  Ender's Game (Orson Scott Card; science fiction)

â–  The Sister Knot (Terri Apter; psychology)

â–  My Man Jeeves (P.J. Wodehouse; fiction, audiobook)

â–  Acceptance: A Legendary Guidance Counselor Helps Seven Kids Find the Right Colleges--and Find Themselves (Dave Marcus; non-fiction)

â–  The Millionaire Next Door (Thomas Stanley; non-fiction, personal finance)

â–  Fear the Worst (Linwood Barclay; fiction)

June (reviews/discussion

here)

â–  The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth (Alexandra Robbins; non-fiction, education)

â–  Confessions of a Prairie ***** (Alison Arngrim; memoir)

â–  Pitch Uncertain (Maisie Houghton; memoir)

â–  The Silent Land (Graham Joyce; fiction)

â–  A Midsummer Night's Dream (William Shakespeare; play, classic)

â–  The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle; fiction)

â–  Robopocalypse (Daniel H. Wilson; science fiction)

May (reviews/discussion

here)

â–  Daughters-in-Law (Joanna Trollope; fiction)

â–  Sempre Susan (Sigrid Nunez; memoir)

â–  Gardening Step by Step (Phil Clayton, et al.)

â–  John Brookes' Natural Landscapes (John Brookes)

â–  Month-by-Month Gardening in Illinois (James A. Fizzell)

â–  The New Gardener (Pippa Greenwood)

â–  Glorious Gardens (Jacqueline Heriteau)

â–  Midwest Top 10 Garden Guide (Bonnie Monte, ed.)

â–  Midwest Gardens (Pamela Wolfe)

â–  Low Maintenance Garden (Jenny Hendy)

â–  The Complete Beginner's Guide to Archery (Bernhard A. Roth)

â–  Know the Sport: Archery (John Adams)

â–  Sherlock Holmes: More Short Stories (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle; fiction)

â–  The Outsiders (S.E. Hinton; YA fiction)

â–  The Raising (Laura Kasischke; fiction)

â–  The Life before Her Eyes (Laura Kasischke; fiction)

â–  No Time for Goodbye (Linwood Barclay; fiction)

â–  Too Close to Home (Linwood Barclay; fiction)

April (reviews/discussion

here)

â–  Things a Brother Knows (Dana Reinhart; YA fiction -- the book that reminded me that I am, in fact, a reader)

â–  Illyria (Elizabeth Hand; fiction)

â–  The Merchant of Venice (William Shakespeare)

â–  Model Home (Eric Puchner; fiction)

â–  Mouse Guard, Volume 1: Fall 1152 (David Petersen; graphic novel)

â–  Mouse Guard, Volume 2: Winter 1152 (David Petersen; graphic novel)

â–  The Worst Loss: How Families Heal from the Death of a Child (Barbara D. Rosof)

â–  Beyond Tears: Living after Losing a Child (Ellen Mitchell)

â–  Love Never Dies: A Mother's Journey from Loss to Love (Sandy Goodman)

â–  After the Death of a Child: Living with Loss through the Years (Ann K. Finkbeiner)

â–  Trapped (Michael Northrop; YA fiction)

â–  Sherlock Holmes: Short Stories (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle; fiction)

â–  The Colony (Jillian Marie Weise; fiction)

â–  The Sandman, Vol. 3: Dream Country (Neil Gaiman; graphic novel)

March (reviews/discussion

here)

â–  The Source of All Things: A Memoir (Tracy Ross; memoir, review copy)

â–  Heaven Is for Real (Todd Burpo; memoir, religion)

January (reviews/discussion

here)

â–  The Nest Home Design Handbook (Carley Roney)

â–  Decorating Ideas That Work (Heather J. Paper)

â–  Speed Decorating (Jill Vegas)

â–  Flip! for Decorating (Elizabeth Mayhew)

â–  Home Decor: A Sunset Design Guide (Kerrie L. Kelly)

â–  Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother (Amy Chua; memoir, parenting)

â–  Macbeth (William Shakespeare)

â–  The Other Side of the Island (Allegra Goodman; fiction)

â–  A Lantern in Her Hand (Bess Streeter Aldrich; fiction)

â–  Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day (Winifred Watson; fiction)

Given up on the autobiographies, have you? I don't blame you. I'm still dragging myself through St Teresa, but really wondering why. I think the book should have been three chapters long. I liked her for the first three chapters.

This week I also read 'Heidegger and a Hippo Walked Through the Pearly Gates' and 'The Worst Case Scenario Almanac' for politics. That should be part of everyone's government study :D

Rosie

Anyone like the Sookie Stackhouse books by Charlaine Harris? We don't have cable so I haven't seen True Blood. I liked the Twilight books (please don't throw stones ;)). Would I like these?

I read the first few and the were entertaining but after about book 5 I just didn't care any more what happened to the characters. I saw the first season of True Blood and YIKES... too much for me.

Fwiw, I did not like Twilight.at.all. Couldn't finish it.

I could not stand these either :thumbdown:.

Wow. That looks good (even though The Red Tent was not a favorite book of mine). Can't wait for your final review after you've finished it....

Stacia, so far, so good. Not sure if you will like it. I haven't read Red Tent. Some love it and some seem to not like it at all. So I can't tell if this is written in the same style, etc. or not.

The only thing I have a hard time with, as of late, are books that have more than 3 or so main characters. I don't know if I have ADHD or something. I just have a very hard time focusing lately on books with too many characters. I think I'm just too distracted and unfocused these days. Too many things on my mind ... All in all, I love the recent historical aspect of this book. It's quite accurate, and again, all about a place that's very dear to me.

[/i]I'm also reading The Moonstone and loving it. I don't know how I managed to never hear of Wilkie Collins before now.

Escape has interested me for some time.

The Moonstone looks good also.

This week I'm reading The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. I'll be sad when I'm done with this trilogy....

I was very sad also. I miss that series very much. Too bad he died so early. He was in the middle of the 4th one and he planned, apparently, to write 10 in the series.

In the middle of Day After Night, which I bought in Haifa, Israel. Liking it very much so far, particularly since it's about that area. My favorite part of the world. :)

I loved The Red Tent when I read it (probably nine years ago now!). I'm interested to read your review of this book.

I missed last week's thread.

I gave up on Ayn Rand's Fountainhead. I was getting too bored.

I'm also reading The Moonstone and loving it. I don't know how I managed to never hear of Wilkie Collins before now.

Too bad you were bored with Fountainhead. I have that on my list of books to read. Someone, somewhere, told me it was the single most important book of the 20th century. Sigh. Maybe it's not so horrible I haven't read it after all... :D

Good luck with Don Quixote. That's one classic I just could... not... get into. Maybe I had a bad translation. How are you liking it so far?

I love The Moonstone (and Wilkie Collins in general). It's been years since I've read him, though.

I'm still reading my Henty novel, Under Drake's Flag. It's pretty well exactly as I imagined it would be, for better or worse: exciting, loquacious, and certainly written from a "superior" viewpoint. It's not Literature with a capital L, or a must-read by any means, but a classic example of serial novels. Shrug.

I finished reading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (for the umpteenth time), this time aloud to my 8yo. He enjoyed it so much, that I managed to find passages hilarious that I never really enjoyed before. I think this is a book best read aloud. This seems to be holding true for Water Babies (Kingsley), too, which we started last night. I thought the book entirely ho-hum when I read it last year on my own, but ds was literally bouncing up and down on the sofa with excitement as I read it to him aloud. Some books just come alive when read aloud.

In general, my own reading is slowing down as I prepare for yet another visit from out-of-country guests (this time only for two weeks-- THE in-laws), and start spinning wool for Christmas projects (stockings this year!).

Given up on the autobiographies, have you? I don't blame you. I'm still dragging myself through St Teresa, but really wondering why. I think the book should have been three chapters long. I liked her for the first three chapters.

I've decided to switch back and forth between the lists.

Yes, St. Theresa really has nothing new to say after the third chapter.

Good luck with Don Quixote. That's one classic I just could... not... get into. Maybe I had a bad translation. How are you liking it so far?

Abridged version :tongue_smilie:

I read Ghost Story, the new book in the Dresden Files series. Loved it, he quoted, Star Wars, Star Trek and Princess Bride, lol.

I've been wanting to start the Dresdon Files series.

I read Atlas Shrugged first and was really impacted by it. Granted, it is LONG.

Dumb question of the day ... is Atlas Shrugged a Christian book? I would just like to know. It's not that I have anything against Christian books. I loved The Shack. Thank you.

Okay, I still haven't committed and I am running about 4 weeks behind, but I am still striving to finish 52 by the end of the year!

I just finished The Help....LOVED IT!

Currently reading the third Flavia de Luce mystery by C. Alan Bradley, I just love Flavia. Think they'll make any movies of these books?

I also have almost completed Radical by David Platt. Excellent and convicting.

I have never read the Harry Potter series and put those books on hold at the library. That should get me caught up.

But I'm still not committed. ;) I can't take the pressure. :lol:

Stacia and MedievalMom, I finished Day After Night today.

I haven't yet read The Red Tent. But based on what I know about it, I think you might like it a bit more. Not sure about your exact tastes, however ...

I liked many parts of this book. Much of it really touched me, since the history of Israel is one that's always dear to me.

The only thing, as I think I've mentioned before that I have a hard time with, are books that have more than 3 or so characters. This is something entirely new for me. :001_huh: And I really can't stand it. I get distracted with too many characters and cannot seem to focus. Think I need to start making study guides/Cliffs Notes :lol:.

Atlas Shrugged is definitely not Christian. Ayn Rand was the founder of the Objectivist movement so everything in her major works is bent in that direction.

Thank you. :)

I have been reading like a madwoman (nothing new there) and not keeping track at all (again, nothing new there).

Last week I read the Truth series by Dawn Cook. (4 books, First Truth, Hidden Truth, Forgotten Truth,Lost Truth)

I totally loved them. They were a random pick from the library shelves. The story ended with the fourth book, but I want more stories set in that "world". I think I am doomed to disappointment on that, though, it looks like the author has changed names and moved onto other things...

I enjoyed listening to it. It's creepy and weird and violent in some parts, but in general it was an interesting story. It has several intertwined stories, so you could get lost on one of the tangents, but it kept my attention. I wasn't particularly fond of the ending, though. The story just seemed to fizzle out instead of come to a conclusion, but I feel that way about many books, so maybe it's just me.

Hmmm.... Ok, thanks for letting me know. Still not sure if I want to read it or not. :tongue_smilie::lol:

I read Ghost Story, the new book in the Dresden Files series.

I have the first book in this series on request from my library because I keep hearing about them here!

Okay, I still haven't committed and I am running about 4 weeks behind, but I am still striving to finish 52 by the end of the year!

Currently reading the third Flavia de Luce mystery by C. Alan Bradley, I just love Flavia. Think they'll make any movies of these books?

I have never read the Harry Potter series and put those books on hold at the library. That should get me caught up.

But I'm still not committed. ;) I can't take the pressure.

So glad you're not joining in ;) (but posting anyway).... :lol: Yes, I could see them making movies out of the Flavia books. HP is a series I still need to read (much to the consternation of my ds).

Stacia and MedievalMom, I finished Day After Night today.

I haven't yet read The Red Tent. But based on what I know about it, I think you might like it a bit more. Not sure about your exact tastes, however ...

I liked many parts of this book. Much of it really touched me, since the history of Israel is one that's always dear to me.

The only thing, as I think I've mentioned before that I have a hard time with, are books that have more than 3 or so characters. This is something entirely new for me. :001_huh: And I really can't stand it. I get distracted with too many characters and cannot seem to focus. Think I need to start making study guides/Cliffs Notes.

Thanks, Negin. Hmmm. Another one I'm not sure if I want to read it or not. I guess I'm just being indecisive these days (or maybe my 'to read' pile is already so huge that adding more to it is a daunting prospect). If you're having troubles w/ more than 3 characters in a book, I'd hold off on "A Curable Romantic" for now. ;) Maybe it's time to focus on some light reading (or favorite re-reads) for a bit to give your brain a break? :D

I was very sad also. I miss that series very much. Too bad he died so early. He was in the middle of the 4th one and he planned, apparently, to write 10 in the series.

I heard about this. It is such a bummer that we won't be able to know where he planned to go with the rest of the books.

I've also started what is (at least, so far) a completely endearing book: The Tower, The Zoo, And The Tortoise by Julia Stuart.

Stacia, this looks really good and I've added it to my constantly growing wish list :D.

Thanks, Negin. Hmmm. Another one I'm not sure if I want to read it or not. I guess I'm just being indecisive these days (or maybe my 'to read' pile is already so huge that adding more to it is a daunting prospect). If you're having troubles w/ more than 3 characters in a book, I'd hold off on "A Curable Romantic" for now. ;) Maybe it's time to focus on some light reading (or favorite re-reads) for a bit to give your brain a break?

Stacia, you could always give it my 10% rule. Read just 10%, see if you like it or not, and then either continue or move on to the next book ;). My "to read" pile is also getting larger and larger.

I realize that it does sound very funny that I can't seem to focus with more than 3 or so main characters :lol:. Thanks for the tip re: A Curable Romantic. Won't read that for a while. I just started Morality for Beautiful Girls and, sorry to offend some, but at least it's very light, as in beach-reading light :D.

?source=9781400077663&height=300&maxwidth=170

I finished The Tower, The Zoo, and the Tortoise today. It was sweet & it made me cry (mostly in a good, uplifting way). The characters are lovely & I found myself really pulling for them as they faced the challenges in their lives.

I think this review I read on amazon really sums up my feelings on the book too:

"Heartbreak and healing, July 9, 2010 By Dawn Kessinger

The humor the author writes with never diminishes the heartbreak the characters feel, and I think I liked this most about the book. I felt like the author's main message was, "Life's tough, but it does go on, and finding humor and love along the way helps."

The cast of animals and the stories about the history of the Tower and its prisoners (and ghosts) is interesting and fun without distracting from the lives of the beefeater, his wife, and the many other characters. All of the characters have their heartbreak to deal with - for some it's loneliness, for another it's feeling abandoned, and for others it's suffering the grief of the death of a loved one. Just about any hurt we might have to deal with in life is presented with ways to cope and heal illustrated in the characters' lives, often with humor and honest emotion. The way the characters deal with their problems and help one another to find something new to try when one idea has failed, is not just funny, but heartfelt, creative and genuine.

There is more to the story than life at the Tower. There is another world to be explored at the Lost and Found, where Hebe (the wife of Balthazar, who is appointed the one in charge of the queen's new animal menagerie) works. Although several small stories take place simultaneously, it's easy to follow each story and the intersections with other characters. I also liked how Hebe's passion for her work ends up helping her in her own life: She meets friends who help her find something she's lost in her life - hope.

The ending felt perfect. Resolution, realization, a plan one worried didn't work the way he wanted it to worked better than he thought. This book satisfied more than I thought - it was deeper, more thought-provoking and had more substance than just a light read. I ended it feeling a bit more hopeful and aware about life's mysteries and quirkiness, the value of finding humor to get through the rough patches, and treasuring the animals that help me along the way."

I think some of you here on the book thread would enjoy this book & I'd recommend it as a lovely little book.

I just finished listening to The Rilvary by Norman Corwin. It's a play about the Senate debates between Douglas and Lincoln in 1858. It's based off the transcriptions of the debates. Only 2 hours long, but good. I liked it. I think this would be an interesting supplement to older kids studying the Civil War. Great for sparking discussion.

I finished The Book of Jhereg (which actually contains the first three books of the Vlad Taltos series). I enjoyed it. The 3rd book (the one I finished today) did have a bit more of a serious tone to it & was more philosophical in nature vs. the first 2 books (which were more just fun, fantasy fare). Overall, I think these are pretty well-done, entertaining fantasy books (if you're into the fantasy genre).

I also read Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui. It was fine, nothing spectacular, imo. I did actually have a few giggles reading it, lol. (My friend loves this book, however. She finds it very soothing, lol.)

Books read as of July 2011:

The Reluctant Entertainer

A Curable Romantic

A Reliable Wife

Living the Simple Life

The Music of Chance

The Tower, the Zoo, and the Tortoise

Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui

The Book of Jhereg

Well, my plans to start reading my dd's lit list for next school year went far...um, not :glare: Started "The Scarlet Letter" but took a couple day vacation to my cousin's and wanted something light to read so I picked up "The Ruby Knight" by David Eddings instead. I just LOVE Eddings. I reread him every year. I finished "The Ruby Knight" tonight and I have "The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie" to start next and knowing that it has to go back to the library, I just HAVE to start it instead of going back to "The Scarlet Letter." ;) I have been very unmotivated to read any heavy books this year. But hey, some years are like that. I'm sure I'll catch up with dd's list and all the Shakespeare we are going to do next year.

After I finish "The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie" I'm going to start on Harry Potter again. We just set a date for our Wizarding World of Harry Potter trip and we are all anxious to reread the books :D I haven't read the first six since 2008.

I'll be taking "Twilight" and "New Moon" with me for beach reading. Already read them. I'll admit to liking them. I passed on Sookie Stackhouse after reading that it gets a little "R" rated.

I also read Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui. It was fine, nothing spectacular, imo. I did actually have a few giggles reading it, lol. (My friend loves this book, however. She finds it very soothing, lol.)

Stacia, I have this book and read it a few years ago. I became like a woman possessed :lol:. I was simply obsessed with Feng Shui and did make a few good changes in the home, but some of it was just impossible and parts of it were a bit weird for me.

My fil happened to be talking on the phone with dh during this time and asked how I was. Dh mentioned that I'm really into Feng Shui. Fil could not stop laughing. Being from So. Cal. and having seen so many get into all that, he, for some reason thought that this was the funniest thing ever. :smilielol5: He loves garage sales and offered to get me some crystals :lol:.

Thought I would share my funny memories with regards to this book. :D

I'm going to start on Harry Potter again. We just set a date for our Wizarding World of Harry Potter trip and we are all anxious to reread the books :D I haven't read the first six since 2008.

:D Love, love, love HP! How lucky you are to go there. :D

Edited by Negin in Grenada