Menu

moms of girls with long hair.

Hi,

My dd7 had thick hair to the middle of her back. Please, please tell me when will she be able to do a good job of washing and rinsing her hair on her own? I know that I could solve this problem if we cut it off, but her hair so so beautiful! Well, okay this is really not an important question, but I would still like to know that I won't be washing her hair when she is a teenager. :001_smile:

Both my Dds have long, thick hair. The 4 year old's hair is also curly.

They both wash it on their own, I still supervise DD2. The trick to getting all the shampoo and conditioner out seems to be giving them a cup to use to dump water over it. And a mirror where they can see themselves so they can see if there are still bubbles.

And lots of practice. :)

I wash both of my dds' hair. Actually 9 yr old scrubs and washes hers in the shower and then calls me in to finish it off with a good rinse and conditioner worked through.

I did help my 7 yr old to learn how to do it "good enough" for a weekend away at church camp, but any longer than that and I may not have let her go. It was such a tangled mess when she got home!

I can remember my mom still washing mine when I was 9 because she said I wasn't doing a good enough job. I learned eventually :)

:bigear:

Both of my girls have long hair. We let Rebecca wash hers, but we help rinse and condition it. Sylvia, no way. Her hair is so thick that we're still doing everything ourselves. I hear about these young kids who are totally independent in the shower, but not yet here!

Guest Katia

My dd's hair was thick, curly/wavy, and down past her waist; almost to her hips. Anyhow....she was 12yo before she did a really good job washing, rinsing, etc. by herself. She would often ask for help, but by 13yo she was a pro at doing it by herself.

DD12 still has me help her get it really clean every 3rd or 4th wash. Her hair is mid-back, so while it isn't really long, it is very fine, oily and hard to get clean. My hair is the same and we have to really scrub our scalps to get the oil off and get the hair very clean. If it is done right, she has very pretty hair. If not, it looks like a greasy, flakey mop in a week or so.

Oh you want experience with girls and long hair. Well, you've come to the right place. I have 9 daughters and all with a good set of hair on their shoulders. My 8 year old is just NOW beginning to take care of her hair. Last year when she was only 7 I had had enough and we cut it to her shoulders. That was so nice for me as a mom to 5 young daughters still. But let me say that her hair was not as nice as it sounds like your daughters is so I didn't feel like it was a great loss! Hope you get things worked out.

Our dds have been doing a great job since they were 5 and 7.

We have the advantage of having a really big shower (more like a small room) with glass "walls". I could supervise in the beginning and the girls have always enjoyed an extensive shower...

It takes them quite some time (20 min. +), but they are putting on conditioner every time and let it soak before rinsing.

I never really had to intervene (short of ordering them out...:lol:)

My DD is 15 and has hip-length, thick, asian hair. She has enough hair for about 4 people! She likes it super long.

I have thick hair but nothing like her hair! I helped her with it until she turned about 10. Since then, she has done well. I did check it though for a good 6 months.

My older who is just turning 10 does a pretty good job and has been washing her own hair for about a year. I still need to help out every so often to make sure that she's gotten all of her scalp washed. She has a more cautious personality. My younger, who just turned 6, can do almost as good a job as her older sister, but she has a more take-charge personality. The younger has longer hair than the older, but it isn't as thick as my older daughter. I think part of it really depends on the hair and the child's personality.