Menu

thoughts on this~iplanner for ipad~iphone

I have it right now on my ipad!!! I can't try it out until next week when exams are over for me :tongue_smilie: I will post when i try it out. I've peeped at it and it looks great. It does seem to work with the calendar in the ipad which i have set to push to my google calendar. so that part works. Now i can put all the kids projects and assignements onto the google calendar without having to retype them.

I'll keep everybody updated!!!

I have it right now on my ipad!!! I can't try it out until next week when exams are over for me :tongue_smilie: I will post when i try it out. I've peeped at it and it looks great. It does seem to work with the calendar in the ipad which i have set to push to my google calendar. so that part works. Now i can put all the kids projects and assignements onto the google calendar without having to retype them.

Yay! Can't wait to hear what you think of it!

Can't wait to hear what you think!

I wish I could demo it before tossing down the $10.

Can you use it on your computer too? I was wondering this as I find I often plan on my laptop and transfer things over as needed/desired.

Dawn

Can't wait to hear what you think!

:lurk5:

On all of the above questions!:)

Does this mean you also had to purchase a Google Calendar App?

Dawn

I can 't wait to try it either!! It's killing me that I have to get these exams finished before i can lesson plan.

I didn't buy a calendar app. i changed my calendar settings on the ipad to gmail calendar. Under the default calendar. Whatever i put on the ipad shows uo on the google calendar. And what goes on google pushes to my ipad. I'm setting me son up with a google cal next week and i'll see if that works too.

What does the google app do??

Can you use it on your computer too? I was wondering this as I find I often plan on my laptop and transfer things over as needed/desired.

Dawn

This would be important to know. It would take forever to type everything in on an iPad.

I am in the process of planning everything on toodledo. I did this last year for a while and it works well. The problem is that you can't reschedule things. If something is due on Monday, and you don't do it, it is overdue on Tuesday. Rescheduling is not the best idea anyway; there is usually no room for that.

I plan out everything in excel, and save as a csv file. Then, I cam import into toodledo. Then, it basically gives me a todo list for everyday. Then, I sync to the iPad. You can create a folder just for school so that you only get the school todos. You could create a folder for each child as well. If you have an older child, he could use an iPod touch and work off the list in his folder. It works great except for that rescheduling thing.

Paula

I was wondering about doing the data entry on a computer too. I'm seriously tempted. I was looking over the screenshots of the report you can print out and it would be so nice to have a printout of all the lessons for the week. I'm sure I can do that with another lesson planner though. . . I don't necessarily need it on my iPhone I suppose.

Google calendar is free, isn't it? At least the version I use is free!

Yeah. But I already have 3 calendars on my devices. And I have zero desire for yet another email acct. So I wouldn't buy it if it required signing up for google email and then using google calendar.

I'd love to try it if it had a desktop version that it synced with. I can't imagine doing all my planning on my iPhone, but I'd love to do most of it on my Mac laptop, and sync it with my iPhone so I would have easy access to it when out and about. But doing all the initial data entry on my iPhone sounds cumbersome.

Wendi

Actually, most apps for this type of thing (organizing) are around the same price. I don't think it is unreasonable.

Dawn

Wow. They are out of touch some. The $10 is a special introductory price ?

I see they have some math word problem and other type apps. Even those are $5! That's a lot for most apps.

Well, I'm cheap so I'm willing to admit that.

I've only ever paid for two apps and both were half that.

So that's the perspective I'm coming from.

But obviously I'm still interested enough to be here anxiously awaiting some feedback on it.:)

Well, I am cheap too, but even the paper/binder type planners are more than double this.

I have been looking at a computerized planner that I could use year to year for a while now. It makes more sense to me to keep it on the ipad so I can have my regular schedule on there too.

Hopefully this one will fit the bill.

Dawn

Well, I'm cheap so I'm willing to admit that.

I've only ever paid for two apps and both were half that.

So that's the perspective I'm coming from.

But obviously I'm still interested enough to be here anxiously awaiting some feedback on it.:)

I think there is some confusion.

My worry was their claim of this being a special intro price. IOW, the price is going to go up.

Compared to most apps, a $10 app is rather pricey. Anything above that sure is too.

Whether THIS app is worth it compared to other apps, much less other media options is yet to be determined.

Or even reviewed. ;)

I might buy it myself just to see bc I tend to not be at my desktop anymore and this could mean one less reason to bother with it.

I was wondering about doing the data entry on a computer too. I'm seriously tempted. I was looking over the screenshots of the report you can print out and it would be so nice to have a printout of all the lessons for the week. I'm sure I can do that with another lesson planner though. . . I don't necessarily need it on my iPhone I suppose.

No you can't I specifically emailed the developer and as of now you can't. Although they hope to do this in the future.

:toetap05:

:lol: Finals were today !! I have entered the students and a couple of classes. I will take one for the team and slave all day tomorrow on entering plans and seeing how it works.:D I LOVE LOVE that it shows up on my ical and pushed to my Google calendar. Exactly what I wanted and have been looking for. I don't like that it is strictly entering data. I can't set the calendar year. It is not a full fledged program like Homeschool Tracker. Just doing the first few parts it does appear to only allow you to enter an assignment with it's resources.

That's as far as I have gotten. I'll enter in stuff tomorrow and give it go on the reports and emails and see how it works.

But for me..... having it go on the calendar is the main thing i wanted.

Patience Grasshopper Patience!

Yeah. But I already have 3 calendars on my devices. And I have zero desire for yet another email acct. So I wouldn't buy it if it required signing up for google email and then using google calendar.

You don't need a gmail account to have a Google account. You can sign up for one with any email address. Not to promote Google accounts - just fyi. :D

I'm looking forward to hearing more about this app but I agree with others that unless there is some computer element, it looks like too much work to manage solely on my iPhone. :tongue_smilie:

allrighty here's what it can do

Across the bottom, it has buttons for lessons, resources, class, student, reports. they do what they imply. Pretty straightforward. Touch Student and you can add in first, last name and notes. Class allows you to enter the class with the students involved. Resources name, notes, publisher.

Lessons allow you to input the name of the lesson, the subject (math, science, language arts, hist/geography, electives - doesn't seem to be way to change those or add those). then you have a field for date, duration, resources, class, objectives, standards, journal, assignment. then you can select the status (pending, partial, done), priority (red,orange,yellow) and verification (written, oral, other) ON the lesson tab, you can sort according to priority, add it to the calendar, or email it.

Reports allow you to name the report, and run it "by day", 'by week", "subject by day". You can enter the dates to run and how many days to include and how many weeks and for which class. These can be emailed. The report ran as "subject by day for 5 days" will give you a report that has columns with subject (the word subject for the different subjects), days of the week, and subjects as the rows going don the side. This is actually the report style I love to use.

Lessons go to your ical calendar which will sync with google calendar. All in one place after typing once.

FOR *ME* I did get this as a promo. I really like it. I love that it sends things to my calendar. Nothing else seems to use the inborn cal on ipad and this does. I love the style of report that it sends out. If I could combine Homeschool tracker with the calendar and report of this program, I would never need to find another planner. If all I ever needed was to display the assignments on ipad and send off reports to my kids, this fits the ticket perfectly.

I see myself using it more as a retype a basic plan to get it onto ipad and google. A supplement to a full homeschool planner. I don't see it taking the place of a detailed planner. I do like it. I wish it did way more than it does. I see it working well for *MY* college classes. Everything is all ready planned by another instructor and I can just type in the assignments but not as an instructor using it to plan out the assignments. I like it better than istudiezpro because it uses the ical and not a separate calendar to mess with. But it's not going to allow me to ditch HST+, or V planner or anything like that. You would definitely need a grading program to keep up with grades. But I don't see entering in Ap chem, Ap stats, english 1, latin, Spanish and then having to do it again for another program to get grades. There doesn't seem to be way to input info for a book and have it assign according to say 3 chapters at a time. It looks like I have to put each incident in by hand completely. that's a lot of inputting!

I have emailed the creator to see if what I want to do is possible in case I missed something.

HTH!

I entered a week's worth of plans. I agree with everything said above, and my main gripe is that you can only enter one lesson at a time - no repeating lessons (as in Edu-Track, which has a cool variable so you can enter a whole year's worth of lessons, and it counts up - making the chapter or lesson increase day by day).

iPlanLessons does allow you to bump something from one day to the next easily.

I e-mailed the developer and he said they are thinking about the multiple-lesson capability. As it is, I won't be using it simply because it is laborious to enter individual lessons (esp. on the iPad).

I figure there will be upgrades, so I'm not deleting it permanently.

Sandy

He's great about emailing back. I think you have a master lesson plan all ready done for you and only need to keep up with or track assignments for your sanity and time management, it's great. I entered my college classes and it was not to terribly bad but they don't tell you to read the book either. That's kinda assumed. Trying to plan an entire course and having to input like Story of the world with it's continuous chapters, not doable efficiently.

I've kept it because I think with time and a better understanding of how various homeschoolers want to use it, it will become a great program.

Though I would give anything for HST+ to go online or do some kind of export to an ipad app or ical. I can dream,can't I?

I already use Scholaric, which syncs with no problem between my desktop and iPad, so I don't need anything else, but wanted to see if this app was better. Honestly, in the screen shots, I was totally turned off by a view that had "consannants" as a lesson plan or course, couldn't tell which. If an app is marketed to teachers and/or homeschooling parents, shouldn't everything be spelled correctly in the advertising?