Menu

Do you prefer Christ's words in red?

Which color do you prefer?  

1. 1. Which color do you prefer?

• Red
    • Black
    • Other

I guess I should have chosen "black", as the poll probably means that the words are of the same colour as the rest of the text.

A priest once remarked to me, concerning this question, that we [Orthodox] honor the Undivided Holy Trinity. It doesn't make sense [to us] to single out the words of one member of the Holy Trinity via a different colour. I had not ever thought of that before he pointed out the implications. Now it makes good sense to me.

It doesn't bother me, and it doesn't communicate (to me) the message that they're more important than anything else in the Bible. I think that out of all the people in the Bible, Jesus is probably the most likely to be quoted the most often -- and the red (or whatever) highlighting just makes His words easier to find.

I don't. I prefer them in black. I believe the red makes you think that somehow His words are more important the the rest of the Bible.

Black. I just bought a new Bible (had my red-letter one for 23 or so years) with all black print, because I finally decided that the red was too distracting for me. I couldn't get the "flow" of what was going on - all I could think was that someone else wanted me to "get" something that I just wasn't "getting." I want to read it for myself and see the bigger picture for myself and think through my reading for myself.

I don't. I prefer them in black. I believe the red makes you think that somehow His words are more important the the rest of the Bible.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You've knocked the socks off me feet. I've always had Christ's words in red text. That's what I'm used to. About 2 hours ago I spoke with a friend and at the same time I'm remembering my thread about buying a new Bible. My friend said the same thing you said above!

Wow. I need to consider this. I "prefer" red b/c I'm used to it. But, now I'm going to rethink this. Thanks.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You've knocked the socks off me feet. I've always had Christ's words in red text. That's what I'm used to. About 2 hours ago I spoke with a friend and at the same time I'm remembering my thread about buying a new Bible. My friend said the same thing you said above!

Wow. I need to consider this. I "prefer" red b/c I'm used to it. But, now I'm going to rethink this. Thanks.

No problem lol. Didn't mean to create a life altering, bare-foot causing post, but there you are.

No problem lol. Didn't mean to create a life altering, bare-foot causing post, but there you are.

As the Spirit moves.....I think it's an excellent point. I "assumed" all Bibles came with red text portions. I noticed this on Tuesday when my dd and I went to Books A Million. I was looking for another Bible and I researched several. I thought to myself, "huh, the publishers are doing something different and have stopped using red ink".....:lol::lol::lol:

And then my talk with my friend and boom your thread 2 hours after that.

I like red if there are no quotation marks, and black if there are quotation marks. Helpful, huh? I guess that would be an "other" vote. :)

When there are no quotation marks, I have trouble following who said what. Or whether someone really said something, or if it's just commentary. Then when I read a quotation mark version, I occasionally wonder how it was decided that a person said something. Sometimes it really seems like it could sensibly be the author's commentary. Perhaps I'm easily confused!

I like red if there are no quotation marks, and black if there are quotation marks. Helpful, huh? I guess that would be an "other" vote. :)

When there are no quotation marks, I have trouble following who said what. Or whether someone really said something, or if it's just commentary. Then when I read a quotation mark version, I occasionally wonder how it was decided that a person said something. Sometimes it really seems like it could sensibly be the author's commentary. Perhaps I'm easily confused!

Thanks for sharing that Trixie. Where have I been? I didn't put it together....I don't recall ever having thought this through.

So, either red OR black with quotes??? Is there a black with no quote marks? Because.......I'm like you, I have to know who said what.

It is interesting (at least to me) that you asked if I prefer Christ's words in red, (rather than asking if I prefer Jesus' words in red). Biblical scholars sometimes make a distinction between Jesus and the Christ.

That said, I don't like the words in red because there is some question as to whether all the words attributed to Jesus were actually his words. So, I see no point in handling them differently than the rest of the text. (I realize this won't be a popular point of view, but you asked).

When I was in college, I had a system for highlighting my Bible and green was the color for the spiritual growth or "life" verses. :) (Yellow was for salvation, it reminded me of the streets of gold and light of heaven. LOL) I miss that old Bible of mine! Fell apart. :D