Menu

Carpet in the dining room...

I've never had carpet in the dining room. I've been very thankful for hardwood in each of the three we have had, as it is so easy to clean up any mess that happens.

HOWEVER, we are moving again, and this time we have carpet in the dining room. No option to change that, as it's an apartment. I have a carpet cleaner. Shall I just plan to use it weekly?

It's not that the kids are messy eaters, but accidents happen...

I wonder if they make extra large under-office hard plastic carpet protectors. (The kind that makes it easier for chairs to roll on...) Especially in an apt., I hope you can protect the carpet. At my house it is not "if" someone will spill koolaid or spaghetti, it's "when".

lisaj, mom to 5

When our children were young we had white berber in the dining/living room. We went to Home Depot and bought a cheaper ($80 or so) area rug of a darker color to put under the table ~ I think we replaced it twice. We shampooed the entire living area once a year. I also bought a lightweight electric sweeper. When we moved, after 10 years in the house, the carpet in the dining room was cleaner than in the living room :D

We have it now...been in this house nearly a year. We have destroyed it. Well, actually, the littlest one (19 months now) has destroyed it with her learning to eat spills. I wish I had bought a large plastic mat for at least under her chair. Since we planned to replace it when we bought the house, I didn't. :glare:

So I recommend plastic under little ones chairs and maybe a used oriental type rug under the whole thing. Plan to vacuum daily!

Thanks for the hints! I hadn't thought of putting an area rug on top... will have to see what I can find...

The idea of linoleum or something isn't as appealing cosmetic wise, as I'd be worried about edges curling. I certainly don't need a fall hazard.

A friend of mine had an area rug under her table, but had a large piece of the thick plastic (you'd get it at a fabric store like JoAnn Fabrics) over the rug where her kids sat. Her dining area is open to the living room and kitchen, so she had the kids sitting by the far wall, with the plastic underneath. The plastic only covered about half of the rug, so when you were on the other side of the table, you didn't see it unless you were looking for it.

Edited by gardening momma

We had it in our last house. I hated it. It was the way outside + we had a dog + it was under the only eating area = yuck!

I second vacuuming everyday and steam cleaning often. I would definitely suggest looking into something to lay underneath the table and chairs.

*thinking aloud* I wonder if you could install that snap lock laminate woodlike flooring over the carpet and remove it before moving?

I grew up with carpet in the dining room, had it in my first house and this house. I don't really see a problem with it. The ocasional spill is sopped up with a towel, rubbed and if needed a bit of detergent. I don't think it happened more that 4 times it the 16 years I have had kids. I am picky about what glassware I buy and look for heavy bottoms with a wide-ish base. We usually serve the kids water or juice at the table but I don't buy high dye content drinks like kool-aide.

I clean it about once a year, we have light tan carpet. Honestly, I can say my livingroom and dining room look about the same and it isn't bad at all. I have had 2 toddlers in my current home, on the same carpet....no problems.

When our kids were little we did buy one of those large plastic pieces that you can buy at an office supply store that one of the other posters was talking about. As they got a little older we bought a rug from Lowes. We like it a lot more, but would be hard to clean if I had one in a high chair.

We went to Home Depot and bought a cheaper ($80 or so) area rug of a darker color to put under the table ~ I think we replaced it twice.

:iagree: We buy the cheap remnant carpet pieces for under the dining room table. It doesn't look good, but it saved the carpet in our rentals.

• 4 weeks later...