Menu

Event at whole foods and advice needed

It's not stealing unless you've left the store. They aren't legally allowed to even approach you about it unless you left the store. (at least that's the law where I live)

Same here. I worked in a college bookstore where we had a specific protocol to follow for suspected shoplifting. Even if an employee witnessed someone stashing something, our security guard couldn't do anything until the person left the store.

I don't see how this could be viewed as shoplifting. If the children are in the sitting area -- which would be store property -- then the gelato hasn't left the store property.

If the OP, the kids, and the gelato all leave store property prior to paying, then I could see the store's charge of shoplifting.

But if the OP pays for the gelato prior to the children leaving the sitting area/store property, regardless of whether she pays for that purchase together with her groceries or separately, I don't see how that could be considered shoplifting.

I wrote to whole foods and I'm waiting to here back.

To further clarify, I was still in the store, my kids were initially sitting at the picnic table outside but came back inside because my youngest was too hot. So for most of the time this was going on my children were at the sitting area withing the walls of the store. I wish they were there when I paid, then seeing them would have been a trigger reminding me to pay for the gelattos.

Thanks for all the ideas, pm. etc. This has been an upsetting experience I guess because I shop there all the time and did not see that coming.

To further clarify, I was still in the store, my kids were initially sitting at the picnic table outside but came back inside because my youngest was too hot. So for most of the time this was going on my children were at the sitting area withing the walls of the store. I wish they were there when I paid, then seeing them would have been a trigger reminding me to pay for the gelattos.

Thanks for all the ideas, pm. etc. This has been an upsetting experience I guess because I shop there all the time and did not see that coming.

Any updates?

OP, I was just thinking of you a bit ago at the grocery store.

I had my back turned from my cart while I was looking for something. I turned around and my cart was missing, though another cart was nearby. My DS said, "That lady just took your cart." Sure enough. This mother with small children in tow had put her stuff in my cart by accident and was walking off... I had to chase her down, then she was so shocked that she didn't have the right cart. She kept saying, "This is what I get for shopping with children!"

It reminded me that I, too, have often put things in the wrong cart and walked on my merry way... Too many times to count. :001_huh:

Honestly, grocery shopping with even the most well-behaved child/ren can leave anyone frazzled. :tongue_smilie:

If WF thinks they can serve people ice cream and let them pay for it later, they are asking to be ripped off, either on purpose or on accident!

I can't even find my car in a parking lot 1/2 the time, let alone be trusted to remember to pay for something already consumed.

I do hope you get this resolved in a speedy and just manner.

Once I was in a baby store, pushing around a stroller, and put some things to buy on the canopy part of it. I pushed the canopy back because DD started fussing, and I forgot that they were there. I left the store, having paid for the other things I picked out, and as I walked up the block I pushed the canopy back to give DD some shade, and saw the other items. I went back into the store right away and paid for them, of course, but it would have been easy to be accused of shoplifting--technically accurate, but just not right, kind of like your case. I'm sorry that you're in that position, it really is unreasonable.

Yikes! I'm sorry that you were treated that way!:grouphug: It reminds me of another recent odd shopping occurance, although obviously less traumatic.

My sister and her husband do not shop at Costco so they don't have a membership card. My Grandmother (and her membership;)) was in town and they decided to buy a TV that they had been eyeing for their new house. All was well until the cashier saw my sister pull the money out of her wallet. She (the cashier)then insisted it was against policy for non members to purchase items at Costco and a manager had to be called over and argued with before the transaction could be made. Apparantly they were both really nasty about it.

I've been shopping at Costco for years and have always dealt with friendly and courteous employees. I've been in situations where the cashier themselves suggested that I split up a transaction and use my member card for each when I had someone with me who was a non member. Furthurmore, the cashier had no idea if the purchase was being made for the member of not. It just seems a little at odds with their generally lenient policies. If it were me, I would have handed the money to my Grandmother and said "problem solved".

Anyway, sorry to hijack, your story is much more interesting, It just sort of reminded me of the Costco story with the common theme of employees acting out of sync with a store's general character.

It reminded me that I, too, have often put things in the wrong cart and walked on my merry way... Too many times to count. :001_huh:

Honestly, grocery shopping with even the most well-behaved child/ren can leave anyone frazzled. :tongue_smilie:

If WF thinks they can serve people ice cream and let them pay for it later, they are asking to be ripped off, either on purpose or on accident!

I can't even find my car in a parking lot 1/2 the time, let alone be trusted to remember to pay for something already consumed.

I do hope you get this resolved in a speedy and just manner.

I agree. I have definitely walked away with someone's shopping cart.:001_huh:

I also agree about expecting people to remember to pay for something they/someone they are with consumed. I wonder if they even give you a ticket or something to give to the cashier???

It's not like it's a cookie or something that can be eaten later, it has to be consumed immediately or it melts.

My sister and her husband do not shop at Costco so they don't have a membership card. My Grandmother (and her membership;)) was in town and they decided to buy a TV that they had been eyeing for their new house. All was well until the cashier saw my sister pull the money out of her wallet. She (the cashier)then insisted it was against policy for non members to purchase items at Costco and a manager had to be called over and argued with before the transaction could be made. Apparantly they were both really nasty about it.

I've been shopping at Costco for years and have always dealt with friendly and courteous employees. I've been in situations where the cashier themselves suggested that I split up a transaction and use my member card for each when I had someone with me who was a non member. Furthurmore, the cashier had no idea if the purchase was being made for the member of not. It just seems a little at odds with their generally lenient policies. If it were me, I would have handed the money to my Grandmother and said "problem solved".

Yeeesh, what the heck?

I'm sorry but this just clouds my whole impression of Whole Foods. How horribly ridiculous. Seems like they have hired a security person who can't see the forest for the trees.

:iagree:

I hope you have good luck with their corporate office.

:grouphug: The store should also consider having customers pay for items that would be eaten in the store to avoid this problem as well. At Wegman's, customers pay for items that are to be eaten in the store first in the eatery area. I would also point out how much you have shopped there. Do you use a credit/debit card and a store discount card when you shop there? They may be able to see how much you shop there. I think it is crazy they way they treated you.

It is REALLY easy to leave with gelato. If the stores have gelato it is in a case by the bread and they give it to you in a cup, you cannot pay for it there you have to pay upfront.

I have also left without paying for gelato that I later insisted on paying for, this could have happened to anyone. My kids weren't even sitting down, they were right by me...with the gelato...that I had stolen. :blushing:

I am really surprised, WF employees are generally super friendly and very outgoing. I used to joke that to get dd to try a new food I have to have the WF deli guy give it to her. She ate everything he gave her! :lol:

I was wondering why it's more your responsibility to remind the clerk, than their's to remember to charge what's in your hand.

Call the headquarters.

Definitely contact headquarters and make it clear that this is not the way to interact with loyal, regular customers.

I also recommend that you show your post to HQ and let them know that you post on a homeschool forum w/ approx. 4,000 people. . .

. . . many of whom will not shop at Whole Foods until we hear the outcome to all of this.

No, I do not think you deserved this kind of treatment. Mistakes happen. Duh. :grouphug:

Alley

If you are stonewalled, and do not object to "going public", a courteously-crafted editorial letter to your local newspaper sure could let the mice out in a rush.

Ooh. . . I LOVE this idea!!!

I wish you'd let us know which Whole Foods did this.

Alley

I've been thinking of what happened to you. I hope this gets resolved in your favor. Shame on Whole Foods for putting you through this!

Please give us an update!