Menu

How to find a good dermatologist who can cut like a plastic surgeon?

I need to have some moles removed off my back. I think it will be about 10 of the 20-30 that I have there. I have one that I am very worried about (showed up suddenly, looks different from the others, irregular borders, irregular color, close to 1cm) and the others are just as bad but have been there for years so I am less worried about them. Dermatologists have seen the others, and feel that they are suspect but don't have to be removed unless I want to or they start changing. I feel like it is time, since I know this one will absolutely be removed and biopsied. I have had 3 other moles removed over the years.

One on my face removed for cosmetic reasons left a scar that is only visable if you look for it.

One has a scar but it was taken out by my ob during a cecerian ("hey, should I take this off while I am down here LOL"). It was sent for biopsy, so he cut deep. It was fine and no one sees the scar anyways.

Another was taken off by the first dermatologist. It was sent for biopsy (non-cancerous) so while there is a scar, it is much less visible that my OB's work. I live in a different state now, so I can't go back to him.

After seeing the difference between one being shaved off for cosmetic reasons, and the two different surgeries, I really want to find someone good for these removals. I don't want to look like I was stabbed 10 times.

Is there any criteria that helps to find an 'artistic' dermatologist. LOL Are there rating systems or licences that show they have a certain skill set?

As a primary care doc, I kept very close watch on the results of various consultants. I considered it part of my job to "match" patients with the consultant (e.g. a terrified patient who needed a hand-holder vs. a just-the-facts type who wanted a drier approach.). I would look locally for someone who refers, and see if they know "the" person in your area.

HTH.

I had 4 done a few months ago here. I call them my bullet wounds. I now tell people that I got them running from the cartels in Mexico.

I have no advice, but I hope you find a good doctor who does a good job.

LOL, That is what I am afraid of. LOL The one that I know needs to be removed is on my shoulder, is right at the shoulder socket, and will show with any kind of a tank top or sleeveless shirt. A few of the others are on my upper back and will show in some shirts/dresses too. It is on my right side so the movement of the skin is inevitable. I know it will scar, but I would prefer people not think I escaped a sloppy serial killer. :lol:

Can I ask what your recovery was like?

LOL, That is what I am afraid of. LOL The one that I know needs to be removed is on my shoulder, is right at the shoulder socket, and will show with any kind of a tank top or sleeveless shirt. A few of the others are on my upper back and will show in some shirts/dresses too. It is on my right side so the movement of the skin is inevitable. I know it will scar, but I would prefer people not think I escaped a sloppy serial killer. :lol:

I had a mole removed on my shoulder, not by the pit but at the top front. The punch biopsy I just had done by the dermatologist, but it came back dysplastic and they just sent me to a plastic surgeon for a larger incision. Unfortunately, the shoulder there scars a lot no matter what you do because of skin stretching or somethng, which is why they referred me without even asking, and there is a fairly big scar in spite of the plastic surgeon, but it's faded and better than a cancerous mole...

Generally a punch biopsy doesn't leave a scar any bigger than the mole that was there before, and now it's skin-colored, so I don't sweat it too much...

Why not just go to a plastic surgeon?

Just an educated guess: plastic surgeons are not necessarily confident in knowing what margin they should cut for biopsy, nor for the Moh's cuts for helping with any staging of any malignancy. If it is anything but cosmetic, many won't touch it.

But this is a guess. It is nothing I ever discussed with anyone, and I"m in the hoi poloi of the medical world and have barely even laid eyes on a dermatologist (4, to be exact), and only "heard of" plastic surgeons. :001_smile:

Just an educated guess: plastic surgeons are not necessarily confident in knowing what margin they should cut for biopsy, nor for the Moh's cuts for helping with any staging of any malignancy. If it is anything but cosmetic, many won't touch it.

But this is a guess. It is nothing I ever discussed with anyone, and I"m in the hoi poloi of the medical world and have barely even laid eyes on a dermatologist (4, to be exact), and only "heard of" plastic surgeons. :001_smile:

LOl

Yep, that is it. I figure it is easier to find a derm with a good hand, than a plastic surgeon with the knowledge of a derm. I could be wrong though!

I had the veins stripped on one of my legs a few years ago. I have a friend who had hers done at the same time. Oh my! Her scars are horrible. It looks like she ran through a barbed wire fence and has 1 inch scars to prove it. Mine are barely there. I have to hunt for them to see them and some left no scar at all. My incisions were smaller than her scars. This is what I am afraid of....the same procedure but a different surgeon, can make all the difference in the world.

I have heard bad stories about doing the biopsy first and then the full removal, based on what type of cancer it is. Some cancers get a little pissed off and aggressive if cut into. I think I would rather just have it done all at once...at least for this one...it really looks very different from my other ones. With the ones that have been there for years, I would be more likely to do the biopsy first.

:iagree:

They'll work with your dermatologist to know what is needed....your dermatologist may actually have one they recommend already - did you ask?

My most recent derm moved away and I don't hear great things about his replacement. They are part of one large practice and they always refer within house, even if they have a different personal opinion.

I need to get into a new derm but it usually takes a while to get in for a first appointment.

I just discovered this mole this weekend so I need to do some work to investigate my dr options.

My mom has an excellent derm whose work is barely detectable. I had a pile of moles taken off for biopsy by him. Some turned out better than others, and some of it is my fault. I wasn't careful about motion during healing at all, and a couple pulled a little. But the one he took off my chin - even I have a hard time finding any evidence. I'd start asking around. Hopefully someone knows someone for you. Or even just who to avoid.

Can I ask what your recovery was like?

Well... I felt like I'd been maimed by a sloppy serial killer. Good analogy there.

I think I had 11 stitches. The derm said, "Don't do this or your stitches will pull through your skin." And "this" was move my arms up or forward. So I sat there for a day and didn't move until we had a tsunami warning. Then I tried driving without moving my arms up or forward to get to higher ground. :001_huh:

A couple days after that I was scheduled for the next rabies shot in the States, so I hopped in the car and drove to America. If you can, I'd recommend not driving during your recovery. It's kinda hard to not pull on your stitches with your hands on the wheel. Oh... and it was hard sleeping. I wasn't supposed to lay on my back or put my arms in any sort of position that pulled on my back. I didn't sleep well, but I did get some sleep. I was a little sore from the different ways I tried to sleep, but it wasn't too bad.

And make sure you have someone to tend your wounds. I had to ask someone and it was really awkward for me. She didn't seem to mind though.

And I don't know where yours are, but I couldn't have my bra on for a few days and that was uncomfortable. Especially going to someone else's house for the tsunami warning and walking into the ER for my shot.

It didn't hurt much, really, once he used enough numbing injection stuff. I think this is 5 months later and they itch really bad. I have no idea why. You'd think they'd be done with that by now, right?

I guess my post isn't positive! With all that, though, I'm glad I had it done. I prefer bullet wounds to moles. Much more fun.

Sputterduck that's pretty much how I felt as well (except I didn't need a rabies shot or to drive into another country:D). I remember right before the dr. started cutting she said, "This would be better if you were elderly and had more give in your skin." :glare: Every little thing I did pulled the stitches and there was no escaping a scar.

Well... I felt like I'd been maimed by a sloppy serial killer. Good analogy there.

I think I had 11 stitches. The derm said, "Don't do this or your stitches will pull through your skin." And "this" was move my arms up or forward. So I sat there for a day and didn't move until we had a tsunami warning. Then I tried driving without moving my arms up or forward to get to higher ground. :001_huh:

A couple days after that I was scheduled for the next rabies shot in the States, so I hopped in the car and drove to America. If you can, I'd recommend not driving during your recovery. It's kinda hard to not pull on your stitches with your hands on the wheel. Oh... and it was hard sleeping. I wasn't supposed to lay on my back or put my arms in any sort of position that pulled on my back. I didn't sleep well, but I did get some sleep. I was a little sore from the different ways I tried to sleep, but it wasn't too bad.

And make sure you have someone to tend your wounds. I had to ask someone and it was really awkward for me. She didn't seem to mind though.

And I don't know where yours are, but I couldn't have my bra on for a few days and that was uncomfortable. Especially going to someone else's house for the tsunami warning and walking into the ER for my shot.

It didn't hurt much, really, once he used enough numbing injection stuff. I think this is 5 months later and they itch really bad. I have no idea why. You'd think they'd be done with that by now, right?

I guess my post isn't positive! With all that, though, I'm glad I had it done. I prefer bullet wounds to moles. Much more fun.

Were you happy about the decision to have them all done at once?

With the arm restrictions, I wonder if it would be better to have one side done and then the other....but I guess the skin would still move around....hmmm, guess it would be a good week for a drug enduced coma LOL

How long did you have the restrictions? I will have to take the time off work as my job cannot be done without moving my body.

I chose the wrong one first time out. Said doctor removed one on my leg and when he finished, the nurse said, "Uh, didn't you go a little far? What do we do now?" And he chewed her out right there on the spot about how "he" was the doctor.

My internist was so livid, and I had to go see him every month for almost six months because it was bloody and weepy for that long before it finally all closed in. It was a year before it didn't hurt.

Thankfully there is a newer one who does Mohs surgery and apparently is quite an artisan in comparison. She's really hard to get into though.

I'd ask around, for sure, and I'd also look at the websites of those in your area, seeing who keeps up with the latest in cosmetic-type things, like skincare, etc. Those are usually the ones who seem to be more focused on the aesthetic outcome vs. just the functional. I had a fantastic derm. where we used to live who trained Dr.'s at my DH's med. school. Everyone knew that's who you went to see. There was a sign in the waiting room that said to please be patient if you experienced a long wait, as when it was your turn, you'd have special care taken with you, too. I'm sure the students that he trained who ended up going into dermatology ended up being the type of derm. that you're now looking for---careful perfectionists.;)

I had a plastic surgeon remove two moles on my face years ago. I just had my family doc remove two in my cleavage and two on my back. One of the ones in my cleavage area left a raised scar which is visible when I wear a swimsuit. Not cute. If I had it to do over, I would want a plastic surgeon to do it.

I'd ask your dermatologist for a plastic surgeon rec.

Were you happy about the decision to have them all done at once?

With the arm restrictions, I wonder if it would be better to have one side done and then the other....but I guess the skin would still move around....hmmm, guess it would be a good week for a drug enduced coma LOL

How long did you have the restrictions? I will have to take the time off work as my job cannot be done without moving my body.

I'm glad I did them all at once. I'd rather go through it once instead of twice. I think pretty much wherever you get cut on your back, moving around pulls things.

It was 4 or 5 days, I think, where I tried to move as little as possible. After that I paid close attention to my back because you can feel when the edges of the cuts are pulling apart, but I could do more.

My husband is a Moh's surgeon - just what you want. You need a derm surgeon accredited with ASDS (American Society for Dermatologic Surgery). They are the best. Plastics are great at fixing holes, but not so good at knowing they have all the tumour out (so recurrence rates are higher), or at diagnosing what you have. Derm surgeons can do the diagnosis, be pretty much 100% certain they have removed all traces of the tumour and then fix the hole as good as a plastic surgeon (don't tell the plastic surgeons - they don't like it!!).