Menu

If I wanted a strong "Missions" focus in our homeschool

I have a passion for missions and have always intended to include my children in that when they reached an appropriate age. I am coming from a "do it" rather than "study it" approach and I am not sure that is what you were looking for, but here goes.

Mine are still pretty young, the youngest being 3, so I am still pretty limited. We will be volunteering regularly at a local food distribution this year, and I encourage my children to take on leadership and serving opportunities in kid's church with the younger kids. They are learning the basics of servanthood and ministry in small and digestible ways. As they get a little older I plan to take them on short term missions with larger groups where their responsibilities will increase and they will have the opportunity to grow in them. That's as far as I've planned as it's all really in God's hands.

We start our school days with devotions and we pray and rock out/worship throughout our days in a fairly free form ongoing conversation with God kind of way. Though we do pray before meals and at bed time. I am also starting the older two with devotional journals this year. Because I want them to pursue intimacy with the Lord, and their writing skills are limited, they will be picture journaling their requests and thanks.

Anyway, that's where we're at. :001_smile:

I have a passion for missions and have always intended to include my children in that when they reached an appropriate age. I am coming from a "do it" rather than "study it" approach and I am not sure that is what you were looking for, but here goes.

Mine are still pretty young, the youngest being 3, so I am still pretty limited. We will be volunteering regularly at a local food distribution this year, and I encourage my children to take on leadership and serving opportunities in kid's church with the younger kids. They are learning the basics of servanthood and ministry in small and digestible ways. As they get a little older I plan to take them on short term missions with larger groups where their responsibilities will increase and they will have the opportunity to grow in them. That's as far as I've planned as it's all really in God's hands.

We start our school days with devotions and we pray and rock out/worship throughout our days in a fairly free form ongoing conversation with God kind of way. Though we do pray before meals and at bed time. I am also starting the older two with devotional journals this year. Because I want them to pursue intimacy with the Lord, and their writing skills are limited, they will be picture journaling their requests and thanks.

Anyway, that's where we're at. :001_smile:

This is an excellent idea!

:iagree: with the Missionary stories with the Millers books and another friend is using the Voice of the Martyrs materials.

Don't forget about the Christian Heroes books from YWAM

http://www.ywampublishing.com/c-39-hero-biographies.aspx

We personally are doing Children Around the World from WP next year.

http://www.winterpromise.net/index.php?cPath=21_34

Thank you for all of these suggestions, links, and ideas. This is something heavy on my heart, and I am not sure if I want to do a curriculum shift or just add in some of these other books and activities. Thank you, I'll be praying over all these ideas.

new here and jumping in!

This blog post might be helpful: http://wearethatfamily.com/2011/06/preparing-your-kids-for-global-missions/ .

We are also hoping to have a missions focus in our homeschool, and are planning to use many of the above mentioned resources, namely Missionary Stories with the Millers, I Heard Good News Today (Sonlight, Core A), and YWAM Heros for Young Readers. Our family has a heart for Uganda, and will be travelling there this winter, therefore, we are focusing on the YWAM stories where the missionaries served in Africa, as well, as learning more about Uganda the country. Books like Beatrice's Goat, Give a Goat, and One Hen are helpful in showing how people in other countries can be empowered by the aid they receive. If your family has a heart for a certain nation, maybe you could apply these ideas. The book Operation World has prayer guides for many different nations.

Another book that has a lot of ideas is, The Mission-Minded Family.

HTH,

Julie

Teaching With God's Heart for the World is a free missions based, 1 year unit study. I am using it myself along with Students of the Word , and plan to stretch it out over 4 or 5 years, doing a day's work in a week.

SOW's focus is discipleship and is based on reading through the Bible as the main text book over a 6 year period. TGHW is based on the history of missions.

As is typical with most people with complex PTSD I have very weak faith. I have chosen the Hebrew God as the diety that I choose to worship. The story of missions and the Bible is the story of my chosen family. It only makes sense to make their story the core of my studies.

Edited by Hunter

We have a strong mission focus. We are constantly reading biography type stories of missionaries. Trailblazer books are popular with my boys. We also enjoy Windows on the World. In addition we look in depth at different cultures around the world. We studied things like world poverty and my boys do extra chores toward giving to a Worldvision project. There are some great videos on Youtube of missionary kids in different parts of the world too.

We have a strong mission focus. We are constantly reading biography type stories of missionaries. Trailblazer books are popular with my boys. We also enjoy Windows on the World. In addition we look in depth at different cultures around the world. We studied things like world poverty and my boys do extra chores toward giving to a Worldvision project. There are some great videos on Youtube of missionary kids in different parts of the world too.

Will you link us to a You Tube sample of those videos? I'd love to know more about them! :001_smile::001_smile:

Will you link us to a You Tube sample of those videos? I'd love to know more about them! :001_smile::001_smile:

Here are the ones I found:

Growing up as missionary kid in New Guinea

Missionary kid Zambia

Missionary kid Zambia

Missionary kid Zambia

Missionary kid – Ethiopia

Africa

Mexico

South Africa

East Asia

While I agree that SL is great for an open-and-go missions focus, I just wanted to remind that missions really start in the heart of parents who want to see God's Word spread. It then passes on down to little ones, more through the home-culture than through anything else!

Supporting missionary efforts where you can receive letters from the field is a great idea. We support GFA (Gospel for Asia) and love the news and uupdates we receive that we can share with our children. They also have a book called, hmm, Even Donkeys Speak? or When Donkeys Speak for children, and it is a very exciting read aloud!

Teaching With God's Heart for the World is a free missions based, 1 year unit study.

Jennifer, I really LOVE this unit study. If it were not free, I would have paid a pretty penny for it. I ordered Streams of Civilization to go with it a month ago and it still hasn't arrived :-( I'm trying to build my home library with most of the recommended books. I love SOW, but never bought the books suggested for it. I've felt the same way about the book lists from all the other unit studies I have looked at. This is the first time I have wanted all the books listed.

I think I would also want the books from Prepare and Pray, but it always gets pushed back to the middle of my wishlist and still remains unbought.

Teaching With God's Heart for the World is one of the best free resources available right now. It amazes me that there isn't more chatter about it. The good thing about that though, is that used versions of the books I have not purchased yet, remain cheaper that way :-) So sometimes I like to not talk about it, when I am lesson planning and in the middle of ordering books :-)

We actually have Steams of Civ. Vol 1! It is pretty neat :). I just downloaded TWGHFTW and hope to look at it soon! It really sounds groovy! I like Ann Dunagan's work in other realms, so this is exciting to learn about! I too am surprised I hadn't heard of it before.

Teaching With God's Heart for the World is a free missions based, 1 year unit study. I am using it myself along with Students of the Word , and plan to stretch it out over 4 or 5 years, doing a day's work in a week.

SOW's focus is discipleship and is based on reading through the Bible as the main text book over a 6 year period. TGHW is based on the history of missions.

As is typical with most people with complex PTSD I have very weak faith. I have chosen the Hebrew God as the diety that I choose to worship. The story of missions and the Bible is the story of my chosen family. It only makes sense to make their story the core of my studies.

Is there a place to download this as one file? (Teaching with God's Heart ...)

Some resources I like that I don't think have been mentioned here yet:

YWAM sells curriculum and other teaching helps in addition to their books.

Look for things from the Caleb/Joshua project about unreached people groups.

NavPress makes some nice prayer cards for unreached people groups.

Wycliffe, SIM and New Tribes are among mission agencies that have good websites for kids.

Wycliffe has some nice teaching resources too. I love the posters and cards and games. They partnered with Discipleland (a broadly evangelical publisher) to produce My Volcano Adventure and another curriculum designed for mid-week at church that work well in any group setting.

The American Bible Society has lovely calendars with people from all over the world and Bible verses. Great to use for the pics even after the year is past.

Child Evangelism Fellowship has some great missionary stories.

Christian Focus Publications (British) has both curriculum and books of missionary stories.

The Bible League and Trans World Radio both have materials for kids.

The US Center For World Mission in CA has a great library and is a useful resource for curriculum. They don't publish anything except the Perspectives course, but they index things and always know the newest research and trends.

Don't forget the basics: National Geographic has great maps and a good website for general culture/country info.

We try to incorporate several threads into our missions teaching: Biblical basis/theology, history, strategies and methods, country/culture info and of course, presonal involvement.

hth. Sorry to be so long. I love missions too! ;)

Oh, this thread has such awesome suggestions! I am (slowly) looking into all these!

Galloping the Globe for your kids' ages, and then My Father's World after that. :001_smile:

http://www.geomatters.com/product/galloping-the-globe-now-with-cd-rom

http://www.mfwbooks.com/

I am strongly considering this - my son did Galloping the Globe last year for K. I was considering MFW's ECC with him next year (2nd) and meshing that with dd doing Galloping the Globe for K, as well. Hmmm....

Thank you everyone for all the tips and ideas!

Unfortunately TGHW is a bear to download and print out. I suggest buying a pretty binder that you love as incentive to fill it. It's worth it in the end. I get warm fuzzy feelings when I look at my binder :-)

Streams of Civilization came in today. So far, I'm a bit disappointed in it. It's SO heavy on creation, but then turns around and uses secular dating for ancient history.

I have decided I do not care about debates. I don't have time for them. I have made the choice to structure my studies around a literal Bible timeline. The Bible is my family's story. I don't see anything trustworthy enough to usurp MY family story, so right or wrong–and I don't really care which–I'm using the family timeline. I don't know how dinosaurs and pharaohs fit in EXACTLY and don't care. To be overwhelmed with science topics and to be given a timeline that doesn't match the one in TGHW isn't what I want. I'm going to have to see which pages TGHW recommends reading. Maybe it glosses over some of all that. It doesn't help that my cheap copy is particularly nasty :-( What is that brown stain?? Yuck!

I'm going to take another look at Rod and Staff and MOH. TGHW also gives page numbers for Abeka I think, now that I think of it. I'll have to research their timeline system. I don't care which timeline my supplementary history books use, but I want a main history text that unabashedly sticks to the what the Bible says.

[ I don't care which timeline my supplementary history books use, but I want a main history text that unabashedly sticks to the what the Bible says.

Good luck with that! When you find it let me know I have yet to fins it and have been through several choices. The closest I have found is Abeka. Although I am not a huge fan of theirs because it can be somewhat dry it does stay pretty close with the Bible, especially the KJV which is what I know you said you are using. Also, (although from a specific Baptist POW) Landmark Baptist Freedom stays really close as well. Not sure if they have an actual timeline printing or just written within the text.

Voice of the Martyrs' Kids of Courage has free downloads with TONS of info. It's great for what is currently going on in other countries. I like Missionary Stories With the Millers for missionaries of the past.

It won't let me see the link. When I click, I get a "403 Forbidden error".

Do you have another link? Thanks!

We are doing ECC and it is VERY missions focused. I don't know about the rest of the years.

Yes, the theme of missions and service to God and others (either overseas or in your own neighborhood) is carried throughout the curriculum. The Hazell's were missionaries in Russia for 8 years, and are still in a missions role with Bible translation, so you can expect to find that focus in all of their materials/TMs/teacher notes.

• 4 weeks later...

This thread is a treasure!! I have been taking notes and saving things in my favorites!! I'm trying very hard to create a strong missions focus for this year/and that that be a focus of our lives. These ideas are great!! :)

Something we are doing this year is a missions box. I don't have many yet, but my plan is to collect the post card sized picture/prayer cards for missionaries then start filing them in the box according to continent then country. The plan then is to start working through the box repeatedly, adding more as we go, using a map and Window on the World to go with it. I'd like to find out special prayer needs and write them on the back of each card, maybe even taping an index card to it so that it will fold away, then filling in our prayers, scriptures, prayer requests, etc.

We're using TOG. I'm planning to do a timeline and use a different color paper for the missionaries through time, putting a major emphasis on the work they did/the impact they had.

We have used ECC in the past...LOVED IT!!!! I'm going to pull some of those resources in to what we're doing now. Those YWAM books are great!!

I got the impression from a friend that "My Father's World" is very missions focused. Is that correct?

YES!!!:D

Definitely My Father's World. Look there if you haven't before. mfwbooks.com.

While I agree that SL is great for an open-and-go missions focus, I just wanted to remind that missions really start in the heart of parents who want to see God's Word spread. It then passes on down to little ones, more through the home-culture than through anything else!

Supporting missionary efforts where you can receive letters from the field is a great idea. We support GFA (Gospel for Asia) and love the news and uupdates we receive that we can share with our children. They also have a book called, hmm, Even Donkeys Speak? or When Donkeys Speak for children, and it is a very exciting read aloud!

What an EXCELLENT post Jennifer! You're so totally right. We are just now using ECC, but we've always had a missions focus. Through our church, community and other curriculum, we've always managed to bring it back to reaching those that have not heard the gospel.

Galloping the Globe for your kids' ages, and then My Father's World after that. :001_smile:

http://www.geomatters.com/product/galloping-the-globe-now-with-cd-rom

http://www.mfwbooks.com/

:iagree:

We used Galloping the Globe and LOVED it. Now we're using MFW. It was a hard call between MFW ECC and Sonlight's Core 5 (I don't know the letter yet). However, I wanted both my girls in the same curriculum and youngest would not fit into Core 5. Over the last two years, we've used MFW EX-1850 and 1850-Mod. There was a huge mission focus in both years if you did the Bible assignments. I love the books they used! I would peruse their website and read their boards to find out more. The Hazells are a family that truly love other people groups and cultures, and want to extend that love to others.

Blessings!

Dorinda

I wasn't going to bring this thread back up, but since someone else did - thank you all for all these suggestions! I have since collected a lot of these books and we are implementing a lot of the ideas. I was told last week that my son got up at church and was praying for those that don't have Bibles in their own language . . . for quite a long time. :)