Menu

Do you think most internet providers (home and data phones) will start limiting data?

I am distressed that ATT home use and Verizon's data phone services are both doing away with unlimited internet usage.

I don't have a smart phone, but we do use home internet for computers, ipads, ipod touches, Roku box streaming, etc.....

Dawn

its possible. my home internet provider has been known for cutting people off for excessive usage, citing "illegal downloading" as the reason. we got a letter saying our usagewas higher than the norm, but consideribg we have 2 computers, a ps3, a wii, and an ipod that could all be on at onceand not uncommon to have 2 netflix streaming at once, we figured ours was fine

I don't think so. We've had Sprint unlimited for years and I think that's going to be a big selling feature for them now. Our internet is also unlimited, I don't see that changing. We have other options for internet if it does become limiting.

I don't understand the move at all, dh and I were shaking our heads about it the other day. It's a move backward. Years ago everything was limited. With technology moving at the current rate doing away with it seems to be a bad business decision.

Remember when regular phone bills were so complicated? I remember when my parents rented the phone itself. Now it's mostly simple, even long distance, although we don't have a home phone anymore.

I am distressed that ATT home use and Verizon's data phone services are both doing away with unlimited internet usage.

I don't have a smart phone, but we do use home internet for computers, ipads, ipod touches, Roku box streaming, etc.....

Dawn

I haven't heard anything about AT&T doing away with unlimited internet home use. I know that last year they did away with unlimited data for their wireless plans but I have heard nothing on the home usage. I just checked their website and didn't see anything. Where did you see this?

I haven't heard anything about AT&T doing away with unlimited internet home use. I know that last year they did away with unlimited data for their wireless plans but I have heard nothing on the home usage. I just checked their website and didn't see anything. Where did you see this?

:bigear:

I agree. I just upgraded to an Iphone and could not get unlimited data plan [DH has it though] even though I was an existing customer with ATT. We also have U-Verse but I have not been notified that the internet usage would be changing.

I still have unlimited data for my iPhone because I had it before ATT changed the plans.

We have Comcast for home use, and with 250 gig limit monthly we are fine, and that's with multiple devices watching instant play on Netflix and gaming all at the same time. I was concerned when Comcast set the limit, but we have been under the max even with heavy internet use.

I have considered cutting out cable tv and just using Hulu and Netflix, but I know that will increase our home internet use a lot more. That could be a problem for people who watch a lot of tv because of the increase in internet use.

I wonder how the limits affect people who have done away with cable, but who still watch a lot of tv and movies, and also do computer gaming and heavy internet use.

Home usage? Really?! I'm going to have to call my provider. I can handle the phone thing (though I won't like it), but we run 4 laptops, XBox with Netflix and Hulu, Wii, a Kindle, an iPad, an iTouch, and WiFi on the phones when we're home... Wow, that sounds rather pathetic!

Dawn

I have AT&T U-verse and have heard nothing at all about limited usuage. We run 1 xbox, 1 ruko, 2 Iphones from it.

We finally dumped AT&T last month when they left us without service for over a month (at one point they came to "fix" our line and let it go for over a week with nothing - of course we still got charged). I have a Sprint cell phone and have switched all of our internet usage to it. It costs us $30 to run my phone as a hotspot with no data limits. We have no problems watching two netflix movies at the same time. It also means our internet is truly mobile. I am very happy with the service.

We finally dumped AT&T last month when they left us without service for over a month (at one point they came to "fix" our line and let it go for over a week with nothing - of course we still got charged). I have a Sprint cell phone and have switched all of our internet usage to it. It costs us $30 to run my phone as a hotspot with no data limits. We have no problems watching two netflix movies at the same time. It also means our internet is truly mobile. I am very happy with the service.

That seems odd to me. AT&T just had to come out here the other day because our cable was out for some reason. Since we had just recorded a bunch of movies during free HBO/Cinemax weekend and they thought our DVR harddrive may have to be replaced, they gave us 3 months of the same package for free. And then it turned out that the DVR didn't have to be replaced, so we didn't lose the movies we had recorded. :lol:

The cap started in May. It's the reason we switched to Brighthouse. Just as we decided to cancel Directv and do most of our tv watching through streaming, AT&T, our provider at the time said they were going to cap usage. Brighthouse insists they have no plans to cap usage (fingers crossed).

As for smart phones, all require a data plan and there's no such thing as unlimited data anymore for smart phones. For messaging phones however, you can still get the $10 unlimited but I think that's only if you have a family plan. Not sure, but ds' messaging phone has the $10 unlimited plan.

Thanks for posting the link. When some of you questioned it I wondered if I remembered it wrong.

We had a terrible storm here and were dealing with power going in and out and I didn't have time to follow up before it went out completely.

Dawn

As for smart phones, all require a data plan and there's no such thing as unlimited data anymore for smart phones. For messaging phones however, you can still get the $10 unlimited but I think that's only if you have a family plan. Not sure, but ds' messaging phone has the $10 unlimited plan.

Virgin Mobile has unlimited data for Android phones.

Sorry, but are you telling me I don't know my own plan? That's a rather brash statement to make. Believe what you like, but unlimited is what I have.

Someone probably already posted this, but Verizon did away with their unlimited data plan YESTERDAY. Naturally, I discovered that TODAY when I went in to upgrade to a Smartphone. Sigh.

What????? Ugh, I'm heading there tomorrow to upgrade ds to a Smartphone. That makes me ill, he won't be good at monitoring usage. I have unlimited, and use it all the time.

The cap started in May. It's the reason we switched to Brighthouse. Just as we decided to cancel Directv and do most of our tv watching through streaming, AT&T, our provider at the time said they were going to cap usage. Brighthouse insists they have no plans to cap usage (fingers crossed).

Actually Sprint is still 100% unlimited data! I have it use it love it and they say they are not going to change it. of course that is just what they say.

My understanding is that if you already had an unlimited data plan on your smart phone, you get grandfathered in and get to keep your unlimited data. New phones, however, would fall under the new limited data plans.

My understanding is that if you already had an unlimited data plan on your smart phone, you get grandfathered in and get to keep your unlimited data. New phones, however, would fall under the new limited data plans.

This is correct. I have an AT&T Iphone with unlimited data for $30 a month. I have had my phone for over a year. I was grandfathered in at the time the cap started. I have since bought 2 more Iphones for our account (my kids actually paid for them) and both have limited data. Unlimited is no longer offered with AT&T. Can't speak for other cell phone companies as I have only had AT&T.

According to this, AT&T Uverse has a cap already. I had no idea! :glare:

I have AT&T home internet U-verse and there is NO cap on my internet use for my home. I am on the unlimited plan and I pay $35 a month. If there was a cap, I'd be in so much trouble. We have wifi also with it. My internet is on all day long even when I am not at the computer. If there was a cap for this service, like I said, I'd be in so much trouble. But, there is not one.