Menu

Church shopping? Non-Denominational vs Denominations

It doesn't matter to me whether a church is independent or part of a denomination. We have moved so often and have chosen churches based on doctrine, worship, children's programming, and fellowship. Also, it is not a good idea to "choose" a church after one or two visits, but that is not what you are asking about:001_smile:.

We sorta hafta stick with a denomination, since dh is a priest. But y'know, I tend to hear "nondenominational church" and think of that as its own denomination--IME, they tend to be pretty conservative, literal interp, non-liturg.

I actually like both.

I do like having some sort of central authority and historicity, tho, because I think it's easier in a nondenom to make up one's own doctrine.

Edited by Chris in VA

I would look for a "healthy church."

http://www.9marks.org/what-are-the-9marks/

:iagree:

Theology and doctrine are very important to me, as are liturgy and hymnody, so I tend to stick with my denomination or one closely related in theology and doctrine. Also, like Chris mentioned, I think that historicity and a structured denominational leadership are important, so I am more likely to choose a confessional denominational church than a non-denominational one.

:iagree:

Theology and doctrine are very important to me, as are liturgy and hymnody, so I tend to stick with my denomination or one closely related in theology and doctrine. Also, like Chris mentioned, I think that historicity and a structured denominational leadership are important, so I am more likely to choose a confessional denominational church than a non-denominational one.

:iagree: Non denoms always feel sterile to me. I've never gone to one that had corporate confession, which is huge to me, and almost all have been stripped of any trace of liturgy, which is almost criminal.

I am Southern Baptist and prefer denomonational churches, but probably for a different reason. Many "non-denominational Bible churches" feel very similar to Baptist churches in their worship style and statement of faith. I really like being assured that a church's teachings line up with what I believe, which are very inline with Baptist doctrine. Sometimes it is hard to tell from church's website or just a few visits exactly how they interpret or apply their statement of faith, even if it sounds good. I also like that the denomination can collaboratively support mission efforts on a larger scale than a single church could alone.

One of my big reasons for preferring to stick with a church that is upfront about their denominational ties is that I have found that many churches that appear to be non-denominational actually do have denominational ties, they just don't really tell anyone. Many denominational churches are changing their names to leave out the denomition name. Most of those that attend the mega-church just down the road would tell you they are ND but the church is listed on the Southern Baptist Convention website. I attended there for a short time (ex-H likes a church where he could get lost and not be accountable) and never was anything said or done that would connect the church with the SBC. It was like a big secret. If a church is truly non-denom. Fine, but if a church is going to a part of a denomination, then I find it misleading for them to not openly acknowledge those ties and present a facade of being non-denominational.

We sorta hafta stick with a denomination, since dh is a priest. But y'know, I tend to hear "nondenominational church" and think of that as it's own denomination

:iagree: Although there can be minor variations across the span of ND communities, their overlaps and agreements are so great as to constitute a "denomination", even though they eschew the title.

As Eastern Orthodox, I land, of course, in the "other" group already mentioned.

Edited by Orthodox6

I'm in the "third option" group. :lol:

When we move, we put our new address into the Church Finder search feature at www.lds.org, and find out where our new congregation is, what time they meet, and the phone # for the Bishop's office. That's it. LOVE it. :) No worries about doctrine being different (it never is), or worship style being different (it isn't). It's instant community and fellowship, and we pick up our life within the Body of the Church in our new congregation right where we left off in our old one without missing a Sunday (we'll even recieve the same Sunday School lessons :p )

No "shopping" involved. :)

I am Southern Baptist and prefer denomonational churches, but probably for a different reason. Many "non-denominational Bible churches" feel very similar to Baptist churches in their worship style and statement of faith. I really like being assured that a church's teachings line up with what I believe, which are very inline with Baptist doctrine. Sometimes it is hard to tell from church's website or just a few visits exactly how they interpret or apply their statement of faith, even if it sounds good. I also like that the denomination can collaboratively support mission efforts on a larger scale than a single church could alone.

One of my big reasons for preferring to stick with a church that is upfront about their denominational ties is that I have found that many churches that appear to be non-denominational actually do have denominational ties, they just don't really tell anyone. Many denominational churches are changing their names to leave out the denomition name. Most of those that attend the mega-church just down the road would tell you they are ND but the church is listed on the Southern Baptist Convention website. I attended there for a short time (ex-H likes a church where he could get lost and not be accountable) and never was anything said or done that would connect the church with the SBC. It was like a big secret. If a church is truly non-denom. Fine, but if a church is going to a part of a denomination, then I find it misleading for them to not openly acknowledge those ties and present a facade of being non-denominational.

I agree. I find that ND just means I have to look harder to find the "truth" of their beliefs. MAny churches here are ND, but are really a form of Baptist. Even my own church which was Four Square, went ND recently-partly because they said people were having a hard time understanding what four square is. I can understand why a church wants to be ND--they shake off the authority of a leadership that can be oppressive.

I also find the trend to be working too hard to please all people instead of taking a stand for who you are.

Lara

We have been non-denominational for many years now and just now after we moved to a new town, we are attending (been there 3 times now) a Nazarene church. We attended their membership meeting and there is one philosophy/belief they have I do not share but it's not a huge issue to me at this point. I have not seen any other red flags so far. We have not joined though, we will need a lot more time before we consider that.

There is often more of a push to join the church since membership is a way they define themselves, of course it also helps them with budgeting, establishing and considering programs, etc.

I would just go and try it a few times. If you get an impression that is not favorable, move on. If you feel it's the place to be, check it out more.

So far, this method is working for us.

Non-Denominational vs Denominations--

Which do you prefer?

I prefer the denomination I was raised in & always look there first. I'm not stuck there though if it didn't seem right.

One thing I'm not interested in is elder-led church. I also personally would stay away from denominations whose activities I don't approve of worldwide or who are state-sponsored in other areas of the world.

I dont know of a denomination that i line up with 100% so i usually prefer a non-denom, but have no problem going with a doctrinally sound denominational church.

I guess I am probably closest to an Acts 29 church, which isn't a denomination but a network.

I guess I am probably closest to an Acts 29 church, which isn't a denomination but a network.

Assuming this is a typo (the last time I looked, Acts 29 was not in my Bible ;)), this church still exists! It's a network of parishes, but worldwide is just one "holy, catholic, and apostolic" church, one faith, one Lord, one baptism, straight out of the New Testament. Come and see!

Edited by milovaný

Assuming this is a typo (the last time I looked, Acts 29 was not in my Bible ;)), this church still exists! It's a network of parishes, but worldwide is just one "holy, catholic, and apostolic" church, one faith, one Lord, one baptism, straight out of the New Testament. Come and see!

From their website:

Where does the name Acts 29 come from?

There are 28 chapters in the book of Acts and it is our belief that God is at work today continuing the building of His church and expansion of His kingdom through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ. We are simply seeking to follow in the pattern of Spirit-led and Scripture-directed church planting and evangelistic ministry that began in the book of Acts and has continued in every age since through God’s faithful servants.

From their website:

Where does the name Acts 29 come from?

There are 28 chapters in the book of Acts and it is our belief that God is at work today continuing the building of His church and expansion of His kingdom through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ. We are simply seeking to follow in the pattern of Spirit-led and Scripture-directed church planting and evangelistic ministry that began in the book of Acts and has continued in every age since through God’s faithful servants.

Oh, I see, LOL. God already "wrote" the next chapter, but if someone wants to try and improve on that, I suppose they can try if they'd like. If that came across as snarky, that wasn't my intent. Just can't think how to word my reaction to that in a different way.

Edited by milovaný

Although there can be minor variations across the span of ND communities, their overlaps and agreements are so great as to constitute a "denomination", even though they eschew the title.

There's the rub. "Non-denominational" churches are waaaaay too conservative for me. The name implies less adherence to dogma, but from what I've seen it's pretty much the opposite. My church is actually affiliated with two denominations - UCC/UUA. They are both congregational in structure, though, so there's no authority problem.

If I had to switch churches because of a move or something, I'd either look for another of that combo (which not entirely uncommon around here), or maybe look into a Unity church.

Denominational. I'm an Episcopalian, but I'm not necessarily tied to going to an Episcopal church, if there isn't one in the area that is a good fit. (For example, where we live now, none of the Episcopal churches have anything approaching a good children's program. You can't find one with a nursery, a Sunday School, or even an area where you can take a fussy kid.) But non-denominational churches tend to be conservative, and I'm not conservative, so for me it's going to be a better chance of a good fit if I look into a mainline denominational church.

Denominational here too. More importantly that the Statement of Faith lines up with what I believe and that they are strictly a bible based church. I don't like what I call "Christian light" as in pastors who skirt around the stuff that can be tough to hear. I need to be convicted and filled spiritually. Not sure if I am properly conveying what I mean. I don't have a way with words :lol:

It depends on your priorities.

If consistent and fairly predictable theology is important, then it's good to stick with a denomination whose SOB matches up with your beliefs.

But if you want a church that is free from answering to a committee or group of other related churches, then non-denom is the way to go, as long as you are comfortable with the SOB.

It depends on your priorities.

If consistent and fairly predictable theology is important, then it's good to stick with a denomination whose SOB matches up with your beliefs.

But if you want a church that is free from answering to a committee or group of other related churches, then non-denom is the way to go, as long as you are comfortable with the SOB.

I assume SOB isn't referring to the pastor.

:D

(I've only heard of SOF, meaning Statement of Faith, and I know you are probably saying Statement of Belief...just playin'...)

That's not necessarily true. There are denominations out there that have a congregational form of governance, where the local churches do not have to "answer to" a committee or group of other churches - authority remains with the local congregation.

Well, I'm becoming Catholic, so in that sense I prefer a denomination. But DH grew up in a wonderful non-denominational church.

If I was remaining Protestant, the denomination wouldn't necessarily matter so much as the feel of the church and their beliefs on various issues. Churches can also vary widely within denominations (Methodist and Episcopalian churches are the ones that come to mind). So I'd probably end up picking a church based on feel and then making sure I didn't disagree with any official beliefs.