Menu

Our neighbor was arrested this afternoon....

Dd, age 7, and I go out to the car to leave for the summer library program. All of a sudden 4 cop cars come speeding up and pull in by the next door neighbor. He was outside shootin' the breeze with his girlfriend and a couple other neighbors. One cop got out right away and yelled the neighbors name. In a flash he had handcuffs on and the other officers started looking all around his yard and going in his trailer. We kind of waited around a little bit....'cause I was leaving older dd home alone (and you just don't know what's goin' on). But, we soon left so we weren't late for the program. I figured all would be ok with older dd (there were certainly no shortage of police around). 2 hours later we were back home and all the police were still there. Wonder what he did this time? He's already on the s*x offender registry and last summer was in jail for stealing computer parts from Walmart. What a lovely neighbor! Dd was saying this was the first time she ever saw anyone for real get arrested, not on a tv show. I was thinking....I think this is the first time I ever saw anyone get arrested for real too. It was like a scene from that show Cops.

Oh no. I remember coming home once and seeing five or six cop cars in our apartment parking lot. I come inside and we look out our second-story window and see a guy cuffed, lying on the ground. My two-year-old was enthralled with the cop cars. I hope he didn't see the guy lying on the ground ... Luckily we don't live there anymore.

Well if they let him out, I would think twice about leaving older dd home alone next door to a sex offender.

Not to defend such people, but you don't know what he's on the list for. One of the dads on our block is on it because when he was 18 or 19 his girlfriend was too young. Not like 13 years old, but 15 or 16.

Not to defend such people, but you don't know what he's on the list for. One of the dads on our block is on it because when he was 18 or 19 his girlfriend was too young. Not like 13 years old, but 15 or 16.

I agree. They could also be on the list for rape (which is NOT right, by any means, don't get me wrong!) BUT, truly has nothing to do with children. I always hate the generic 'sex-offender' list. Was it a child? Was it a boy or girl? Was it a girlfriend that was 17 1/2?

I agree. They could also be on the list for rape (which is NOT right, by any means, don't get me wrong!) BUT, truly has nothing to do with children. I always hate the generic 'sex-offender' list. Was it a child? Was it a boy or girl? Was it a girlfriend that was 17 1/2?

in our state they list the charges and usually list the age or minor status.

Not only that, the OP's DD is 18. It's not quite the same as leaving a younger child at home.

Well if they let him out, I would think twice about leaving older dd home alone next door to a sex offender.

That is exactly what I thought when I read the original thread.

Well, he hasn't been around for quite a long time. He's only recently been back. I would worry more about him stealing something. But...I really don't think he'd set foot on our property.

Yes....it wasn't with a child.

So what if her daughter is 18. I don't really think sex offenders (whatever kind they are) take a person's age into consideration. I wouldn't leave either of my girls (23 and 16) home alone if we lived next door to a sex offender. Call me overprotective, I wouldn't do it.

So what if her daughter is 18. I don't really think sex offenders (whatever kind they are) take a person's age into consideration. I wouldn't leave either of my girls (23 and 16) home alone if we lived next door to a sex offender. Call me overprotective, I wouldn't do it.

I have to agree. Although, I imagine it's could be quite inconvenient at times, better safe than sorry. I'm glad that everyone is okay and the cops are doing their jobs.

But I'm guessing you would have no problems being home alone while your husband is at work? I'm sure her daughter, and at least your older daughter, can defend themselves just as well as you can. The main difference is that you are probably more "aware" and leery of the danger, having lived through life longer. But as long as they are made aware of the potential danger, whether you live near a sex offender or not, they can be cautious and aware of their surroundings.

Niiiiice. We used to have some neighbors across the street and over one house who had the police at their house about every other month. :glare: They've moved, happily.

ETA: Just found out today that they actually skipped out on their mortgage. Not surprising.

Edited by Mommy22alyns

They have one family that stirs up trouble here and there. They are in the business of thievery and don't hide it. I grew up with the three sons, who all still live there and have a bunch of children themselves. My father tells a story about how he once saw the patriarch take a hot engine out of car with his bare hands. That was just before he was murdered behind a bar. Now the sons have a tall fence around the yard that I figured was for their go cart track. They even have a tower built next to it. It turns out they were hiding stolen goods in the fence and that was their look out tower! Once they were shooting off fireworks and it landed on a neighbors roof. When the guy called the cops to complain, they wouldn't come out when they found out who it was against. They said, "The Newtons are mean!" It is bad when even the cops don't want to deal with someone. Fortunately they have left us alone for the most part. We used to play with them and tell the youngest one Bible stories when he was little. I think we may have even fed him some. The rest of the neighborhood is quiet and has law abiding citizens. I warily see them as entertainment.

You wouldn't let your girls be at home alone if you lived next door to a guy who, when he was in his late teens or early 20s, had consensual sex with a girlfriend who was 15 or 16? Why? What possible threat would he pose to your daughters?

I have to agree with this. Find out why people are on the list for. Our neightbor is a great guy and on the offender list. When he was 18 and his gf (now wife of 15 years) was almost 16, her parents tried to break them up and he got put on the list. Our other neighbor, a police officer, has confirmed this.

Anyway, OP, that's scary! I remember seeing a neighbor getting arrested for car theft when I was a teenager. I talked about it for months. :)

You wouldn't let your girls be at home alone if you lived next door to a guy who, when he was in his late teens or early 20s, had consensual sex with a girlfriend who was 15 or 16? Why? What possible threat would he pose to your daughters?

But how can you know that it was consensual but statutory rape rather than molestation or forcible rape? Genuine question, not trying to argue. The sex offender maps that I've seen just give general categories like rape or offense against children or other - whatever that means. So how am I supposed to know what the guy did to get on the list?

But how can you know that it was consensual but statutory rape rather than molestation or forcible rape? Genuine question, not trying to argue. The sex offender maps that I've seen just give general categories like rape or offense against children or other - whatever that means. So how am I supposed to know what the guy did to get on the list?

I'd say if the registries aren't making that distinction, that's a really big problem.

That would scare me to death! I read in the paper today about a young man who, with his gfs help, killed his 55 y/o neighbor last year in order to steal her stuff and sell it for drugs. He killed her, set the house on fire, and thought that was that. His gf spilled the beans and took a lesser sentence for doing so - and he got life in prison. Personally, I would have liked to have seen a nice public hanging on that one. People are CRAZY!!!

I'd say if the registries aren't making that distinction, that's a really big problem.

Agreed, but that's the exact problem I'm running into. This thread prompted me to check again, and I discovered that there's a sex offender living here in my neighborhood, next street over (wasn't there last time I checked the registry). The conviction was for "Travel With Intent To Engage In Illicit Sexual Conduct With Minor." Seems to me that could mean anything from traveling across state lines with an underage girlfriend and the intent to get married, to kidnapping a child with the intention of exploiting and abusing them in the worst, most unimaginable way. For the next closest offender, it specifically states that there was three counts of sexual contact with a child under the age of 14. :crying: But not all the listings are that clear.

Agreed, but that's the exact problem I'm running into. This thread prompted me to check again, and I discovered that there's a sex offender living here in my neighborhood, next street over (wasn't there last time I checked the registry). The conviction was for "Travel With Intent To Engage In Illicit Sexual Conduct With Minor." Seems to me that could mean anything from traveling across state lines with an underage girlfriend and the intent to get married, to kidnapping a child with the intention of exploiting and abusing them in the worst, most unimaginable way. For the next closest offender, it specifically states that there was three counts of sexual contact with a child under the age of 14. :crying: But not all the listings are that clear.

Or it could mean that he traveled to Bangkok or some of the other centers of child s*x for that purpose. They are trying to crack down on this.

Or it could mean that he traveled to Bangkok or some of the other centers of child s*x for that purpose. They are trying to crack down on this.

I did not even think of that. There are too many horrible possibilities, I guess.

Not questioning your parenting choices, but that attitude from my grandmother/guardian got me to the point that when I was finally alone in my house when I got married at 18 I had panic attacks and ended up locking myself in the bathroom until someone got home. (I'm sure my own issues contributed to this.)

Didn't intend to start an age debate. I just remember being 18, no longer living at home...so in my mind 18=being able to fend for oneself in most situations.

:iagree:Ideally...

But I'm guessing you would have no problems being home alone while your husband is at work? I'm sure her daughter, and at least your older daughter, can defend themselves just as well as you can. The main difference is that you are probably more "aware" and leery of the danger, having lived through life longer. But as long as they are made aware of the potential danger, whether you live near a sex offender or not, they can be cautious and aware of their surroundings.

Umm...a mother of teenage daughters is less likely to be the offenders...um..."type," so the mom is likely in less danger than a younger girl, who would be considered to be more vulnerable and less likely to be able to fight back...

Umm...a mother of teenage daughters is less likely to be the offenders...um..."type," so the mom is likely in less danger than a younger girl, who would be considered to be more vulnerable and less likely to be able to fight back...

Sure, if we're talking about a violent rapist living next door.

But, if we're talking about somebody who was convinced of statutory rape--consensual sex with a willing partner who was a teen under a certain age--then I'm not seeing what danger the daughter would be in, unless she was the type to seek out sex with an older man.

I got hit on by plenty of times by older men when I was a teenager. I worked as a waitress in a pizza place when I was 16, and it was pretty routine for older male patrons to hit on me (I assume that's the case for most teen girls waiting tables). I ignored them, and they shut up. That was it. Sure, if I'd responded positively to their advances, and wanted to sleep with them, we may have ended up having sex. But, they weren't looking to force me into anything, and I was totally and completely uninterested in any kind of romantic or sexual involvement with older men. They just didn't pose a danger to me, at all.

This is why I really take issue with putting men whose crimes are consensual sexual relationships with teens on the registry. I really don't see how those men pose a threat. If your daughter is the type who is going to respond positively to the advances of an older man (assuming he'd even make them--many of these men had the relationships in their 20s, and now that they are older, aren't interested) then that's a problem that I don't think a registry is going to solve. If your daughter isn't the type who is going to respond to the advances of an older man, then a man who has no history of violent assault doesn't pose a threat.

I really don't see how those men pose a threat.

twoforjoy,

I see your argument, but it's been my experience males convicted of statutory rape are usually guilty of much more. They don't have common sense to stop when the girl is obviously, legally too young. Usually, this lack of common sense has them participating in other less appealling activities.

I've seen lots of young teen waitresses get hit on. I've also seen 12 year olds get hit on by older men. Other cultures have different standards.

Should an older male who hits on a 12yo be considered a threat?

Where should the line be drawn?

Edited by JWSJ

We've been in our home for a year now. So excited to not live in a city anymore, to have some freedom to let the kids play in the yard w/o being hawk watched every second. Well...we just found out that the man across the street is an offender. This man's crimes are BAD. Many young victims over many many years. We checked the list before we bought the house, and there were none nearby...Come to find out that not all offenders are on the list. In NY, level 1 and some level 2 and 3s are not listed! You need to call the local parole department and tell them where you live and ask them to completely disclose the nearest offenders. I'm thankful that nothing happened over the last year and we are extra watchful now of course. We just had to make him get rid of his dog b/c he didn't keep it on a leash and it was always over here, acting threatening, and then the man would have to come get it! Sigh.