Menu

Online Bible study for those interested in joining.

Which do you like best?  

1. 1. Which do you like best?

• Agape Bible Study
    • St. Paul Center for Biblical Theology
    • The Great Adventure Catholic Bible Study (Jeff Cavin)
    • Other

I'm looking at some Bible studies and found three resources that look promising. Look them over and vote on your favorite. If the majority wants to do the St. Paul Center we can pick which of the six at a different time.

I'll put this in a poll and see which is like best.

Agape Bible Study

St. Paul Center for Biblical Theology

The Great Adventure Catholic Bible Study (Jeff Cavin)

Of course I've only looked at Catholic materials, but that doesn't mean that only Catholics are welcome. Anyone who has any interest in Catholic theology will be welcome.

Ooo, this looks very exciting! I missed the original thread where this was put forth, but I'd love to join you all. :)

I voted for number 2. I actually like the look of number 3 a wee bit better, but looking around the website of 3 I couldn't quite figure out how a group would do it solely online.

Just checked the Great Adventure website again. It looks to me that in order to use the Bible study kit, you need to have access to the DVDs and CDs. I haven't been able to really figure out if you can access the DVD/CD content online somehow or not, but I don't think you can.This page is the one from which I'm drawing my conclusions.

If that's true, then the Great Adventure program wouldn't be something we could do online. :(

ETA: We could use the study kits without the DVD/CDs, of course, but it wouldn't be the full program.

Edited by Hannah C.

Just checked the Great Adventure website again. It looks to me that in order to use the Bible study kit, you need to have access to the DVDs and CDs. I haven't been able to really figure out if you can access the DVD/CD content online somehow or not, but I don't think you can.This page is the one from which I'm drawing my conclusions.

If that's true, then the Great Adventure program wouldn't be something we could do online. :(

ETA: We could use the study kits without the DVD/CDs, of course, but it wouldn't be the full program.

And I'm so sorry, but my info was wrong. :confused: I thought they were selling the awesome DVD set on Amazon for $40, but it turns out to be just the books to go along with the DVD. The DVD set is about $400. I knew that price seemed too good to be true. I don't think this one can be an option.

I'll go with whatever the majority want to do also.

I voted for Agape because it's free. If the St. Paul program isn't too much, I can do that one instead. The Great Adventure program looks far too expensive for me.

If most others want to do Great Adventure, don't let my cost factor stop you. I just will have to join some other time.

Thanks for looking into this for us. I hope you are beginning to feel better. I'm still praying for you.

Denise

St. Paul is free.

"Whether you’re studying Scripture for the first time, looking to take your studies to a higher level, or whether you’re ready for advanced training, you’ve come to the right place!

Welcome to our free on-line classes! "

I voted for it, but I'll do any free one you all want to do.

I'll just bump this back up.

I voted for #2, but really all of them look great. Be happy to go with the majority vote. :)

Me, too.

I am honestly just happy for the opportunity to study and discuss with a group of women (and men, if any join us) whose insights I enjoy and respect in so many areas already.

Why do we do the free one so it isn't cost prohibitive?

Chucki, you are MADE of awesome. Every little cell of ya.

:iagree: you need the baggage one of my (male) coworkers covets: it says "I radiate pure awesome!"

(both Agape and St Paul are free)

Looks like we can probably vote on one of the St. Paul studies.

How do we want to do this? I don't want to use up SWB's bandwidth for something not related to TWTM.

I can toss together from one of those free sites a message board similar to what we have here.

We need someway for all of us to discuss things. If you have an idea, speak up.

Looks like we can probably vote on one of the St. Paul studies.

How do we want to do this? I don't want to use up SWB's bandwidth for something not related to TWTM.

I can toss together from one of those free sites a message board similar to what we have here.

We need someway for all of us to discuss things. If you have an idea, speak up.

Free message board. We might ahve to deal with ads, but I don't want to take up bandwidth either.

But not everyone does Facebook.

Someone else will have to set up Google or Yahoo. I've no clue how to use those.

That's true. I can do that, either one. And a traditional forum is also good. I was just throwing stuff out there.

I'm looking at some Bible studies and found three resources that look promising. Look them over and vote on your favorite. If the majority wants to do the St. Paul Center we can pick which of the six at a different time.

I'll put this in a poll and see which is like best.

Agape Bible Study

St. Paul Center for Biblical Theology

The Great Adventure Catholic Bible Study (Jeff Cavin)

Of course I've only looked at Catholic materials, but that doesn't mean that only Catholics are welcome. Anyone who has any interest in Catholic theology will be welcome.

Um...but which Bible study? Doesn't each publisher have more than one? Or am I reading the links wrong?? :confused:

I like the idea of a free forum. IMHO the forum layout works better than email groups for discussions. :001_smile:

I've just been playing with Google groups and, while you can definitely post forum-style, I think you are correct. Though live chat would be a nifty widget to have. I will also add that I am feeling particularly warm and fuzzy about Proboards because they have an iphone app. (they also have a droid app) :001_smile:

Um...but which Bible study? Doesn't each publisher have more than one? Or am I reading the links wrong?? :confused:

I think we've decided to go with the St. Paul Center, but have yet to decide which one.

My new question: Who are the funny gals who voted "other" and then didn't post anything about an "other"?? Huh? Are you just messing with the requisite other choice? :blink:

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

Y'all give me to the end of the week to get things together. I'm so behind with household things and I've got the appointment with the allergist in a couple days.

If we are going to go with the St. Paul stuff, figure out which program of theirs we want to do first.

I like the program that starts w/Genisis.

Maybe we should chat amongst ourselves and work out which is the preferred start point for the group?

I'm inclined to begin at the beginning, as well and, left to my own devices, would select either Covenant Love or Genesis to Jesus to begin. (not that I would shun any of them)

Also, I'm going to fly my obsessive flag for a moment and throw a question out to the "proper" (as opposed to lapsed and feeling called back) Catholics here: I don't see a preferred Bible edition on the St Paul Center website. Does anyone have any idea which would be the preferred for their Bible studies? (Yes, it seems a crazy thing to ask, but my house somehow ended up with a M-W dictionary edition that has, um, gaps in pretty common words, so I'd prefer to not repeat that here.)

Maybe we should chat amongst ourselves and work out which is the preferred start point for the group?

I'm inclined to begin at the beginning, as well and, left to my own devices, would select either Covenant Love or Genesis to Jesus to begin. (not that I would shun any of them)

Also, I'm going to fly my obsessive flag for a moment and throw a question out to the "proper" (as opposed to lapsed and feeling called back) Catholics here: I don't see a preferred Bible edition on the St Paul Center website. Does anyone have any idea which would be the preferred for their Bible studies? (Yes, it seems a crazy thing to ask, but my house somehow ended up with a M-W dictionary edition that has, um, gaps in pretty common words, so I'd prefer to not repeat that here.)

I'm using my New American Bible since it is 1.) handy and 2.) free online at the USCCB website if needed.

(Check your PM box. I need an opinion and you got picked since you your light is green.)

I'm using my New American Bible since it is 1.) handy and 2.) free online at the USCCB website if needed.

(Check your PM box. I need an opinion and you got picked since you your light is green.)

Ok. I think that's the one I have. But it has gone missing (it WAS in the living room not too long ago... ).

I got it and put in my 2 cents. And Beavis and Butthead mental giggle.

I've always liked the Ignatius Bible (RSV-CE).

Off to register!