• 30-35
    • 36-39
    • 40-45
    • 46-49
    • 50-55
    • 56-59
    • 60-65
    • 66-??

I'll turn 50 in December. It's kind of startling as that number just seems a little high compared to how I feel:). All in all, though, I'm glad I'm almost 50. Growing "old" helps you learn to relax and not take everything so ding-dong seriously. You appreciate little things more (I think), like just being together on a nice Sunday afternoon.

Growing older is great, and as they say, it sure beats the alternative.

Kathleen in VA

www.homeschoolblogger.com/lavendersblue

34 (35 in July) and yes. I think I'll hold at 36 for a few years, perhaps. Seems a nice resting spot.

LOL! Yes, I thought 36 was nice too. :tongue_smilie: The closer I get to 38 the stranger it seems to me. I *feel* like I am still in my 20's - which I guess is a good thing! I am afraid I don't look it though! LOL

I told my 4yo right before her 5th birthday that she was not allowed to get any older. She said, "But I will, Mama." :glare: The nerve! :tongue_smilie:

I'll turn 50 in December. It's kind of startling as that number just seems a little high compared to how I feel:). All in all, though, I'm glad I'm almost 50. Growing "old" helps you learn to relax and not take everything so ding-dong seriously. You appreciate little things more (I think), like just being together on a nice Sunday afternoon.

Growing older is great, and as they say, it sure beats the alternative.

Kathleen in VA

www.homeschoolblogger.com/lavendersblue

No kidding!! I love the title of your blog, by the way. :) I also agree that growing older does help me not to get to flustered over silly things. :)

A fellow 1970 baby! :)

Totally off the subject: I just visited your blog and have two questions.

1. Where did you get the Earth Boxes and what made you decide to use them?

2. What is the name of that beautiful vine in your sitting spot!? It is simply stunning.

I just turned 41 earlier this month. Ironically, I'm happier at 41 than I was at 40, or maybe it's just because it's spring. :D :lol:

Well you know what they say about a fine wine being better with time, right? I think the same applies to women. :tongue_smilie:

51.5 - but I was so taken aback at my recent ladies tea for homeschool moms when a woman younger than me encouraged us for a 1/2 hour by speaking on the importance of not "longing for" but BEING the Titus 2 older woman. I thought, Yeah, she's a good Titus 2 woman, good for her - before I realized I have not even begun to internalize how *I* might be that woman. I guess I'm still waiting to grow up. sigh.

A fellow 1970 baby! :)

Totally off the subject: I just visited your blog and have two questions.

1. Where did you get the Earth Boxes and what made you decide to use them?

2. What is the name of that beautiful vine in your sitting spot!? It is simply stunning.

Oh thank you! That is a trumpet vine- the previous house owners built that swing/arbor and planted those vines... must be at least 15 years ago I think. Makes a very nice place to sit! It only blooms for a few weeks in the spring, and the rest of the time it's just green vines. Still very pretty & shady, though.

I bought 10 of the Earth Boxes directly from the company. http://www.earthbox.com/

Right now orders are taking a while to be shipped and I waited about 6 weeks for my entire order to arrive. (The other 4 I bought from a nursery 30 miles away... 2 of them I already had from last year.)

The long and short of why I chose the Earth Boxes: Directly planting in the ground was more trouble than it was worth with the weeds, gophers, ground squirrels, and moles causing horrible problems. I've never had a garden in an area with so many invasive pests until we moved here. We decided that we needed to build raised beds, and I was all set to try the Square Foot Gardening when I saw my first Earth Box. I tried out 2 boxes last summer and really liked them.

After trying the 2 boxes last year, I compared the costs of building critter-proofed raised beds vs. buying the Earth Boxes, and they came out nearly even. (We were going to build really big raised beds with a dedicated watering system, etc.) The Earth Boxes are much easier to maintain once they're set up (no weeding, no watering if you get the automatic watering system option, completely portable... you get the idea.) And last but definitely not least- they really conserve water. The plants draw up whatever moisture they need from the water resevoir in the base of the box- so almost none is wasted. The plastic mulch cover keeps the water from evaporating in addition to keeping the weeds out.

I'll keep posting progress on my blog- I know the tomatoes will do well, since I tried them last year. But the rest of the veggies I've never grown in an EB before, so... we'll see how it goes! The folks on the Earth Box discussion boards seem to be having really good success with all the things I planted this year.

Hee hee, thanks for asking! I'm so excited about the garden this year... hope this info is helpful. :)

Oh thank you! That is a trumpet vine- the previous house owners built that swing/arbor and planted those vines... must be at least 15 years ago I think. Makes a very nice place to sit! It only blooms for a few weeks in the spring, and the rest of the time it's just green vines. Still very pretty & shady, though.

I bought 10 of the Earth Boxes directly from the company. http://www.earthbox.com/

Right now orders are taking a while to be shipped and I waited about 6 weeks for my entire order to arrive. (The other 4 I bought from a nursery 30 miles away... 2 of them I already had from last year.)

The long and short of why I chose the Earth Boxes: Directly planting in the ground was more trouble than it was worth with the weeds, gophers, ground squirrels, and moles causing horrible problems. I've never had a garden in an area with so many invasive pests until we moved here. We decided that we needed to build raised beds, and I was all set to try the Square Foot Gardening when I saw my first Earth Box. I tried out 2 boxes last summer and really liked them.

After trying the 2 boxes last year, I compared the costs of building critter-proofed raised beds vs. buying the Earth Boxes, and they came out nearly even. (We were going to build really big raised beds with a dedicated watering system, etc.) The Earth Boxes are much easier to maintain once they're set up (no weeding, no watering if you get the automatic watering system option, completely portable... you get the idea.) And last but definitely not least- they really conserve water. The plants draw up whatever moisture they need from the water resevoir in the base of the box- so almost none is wasted. The plastic mulch cover keeps the water from evaporating in addition to keeping the weeds out.

I'll keep posting progress on my blog- I know the tomatoes will do well, since I tried them last year. But the rest of the veggies I've never grown in an EB before, so... we'll see how it goes! The folks on the Earth Box discussion boards seem to be having really good success with all the things I planted this year.

Hee hee, thanks for asking! I'm so excited about the garden this year... hope this info is helpful. :)

Wow, that was really helpful. Thank you! I too live in an area where gardening is extremely frustrating. We have such big dreams of tons of veggies that never work out. I am going to look into these. Thanks so much. I will have to keep track on your blog! I love the order of your yard. :)

One more question - what did you decide to plant and how many plants did you put in each box? I just got off the phone with my local nursery and they have them in stock. They put a *ton* of plants in one box - I was shocked at how many they put in and have had successful harvests. Would you mind sharing how it worked for you last year and how many plants you tried? Thanks so much! This is so neat. :)

I am 53 and I love being in my 50's.

The biggest conlict I have is that I have 2 9yo's, they prevent me from being in my 50's but that's ok. I think this is the best thing about being 50; I no longer care about what anybody thinks. I love the confidence I have aquired. The things I worried about never happened or if they did; it all worked out fine, even if it didn't. All could be falling apart and I can say, Life is Good. I can be right and I can be wrong, it all gets corrected. Nothing is worth worrying about. I just love being in my 50's, but there is one thing I hate....the bad hair. About that I do care. But oh well. Life is Good. Who cares about hair.

37 and no. Because every year I add to my age means one more year my children have grown older. I don't want them to grow up sooo quickly. I want to enjoy them for as long as I can. So if we can just stop time every now and then to enjoy them a little extra longer I would be happy.;)

One more question - what did you decide to plant and how many plants did you put in each box? I just got off the phone with my local nursery and they have them in stock. They put a *ton* of plants in one box - I was shocked at how many they put in and have had successful harvests. Would you mind sharing how it worked for you last year and how many plants you tried? Thanks so much! This is so neat. :)

To decide what to plant, I checked with the Sunset Western Garden Book to see what will grow best in my zone and also to figure out when I should plant different types of plants; then I planted a bit more of the stuff that's really expensive at the store! LOL. This year I'm trying melons, which I've never grown at all before. From what I understand, the Earth Box seems to be able to handle the dwarf/patio sized melons (Sugar Baby Watermelons and Little Sweetie Cantaloupes.)

Last year I had 2 tomatoes in one box, and 6 herb plants in the 2nd box. They all did really well, even though the tomatoes from last year weren't even planted until mid-July! You can grow either determinate or indeterminate tomatoes in the box- but the vining ones (indeterminate) that just grow and grow and grow will need more support than the bushier types. This year I have an Early Girl (indeterminate) and a Roma (determinate) in one box, and two Sweet 100's (indeterminate) in another box.

How many plants per box depends on the plant. An EB can only handle 2 tomato plants per box. But you can grow 6 bell peppers. And 16 (!!) bean plants or corn plants per box.

They have a very helpful chart here. How many plants you put in a box determines where you put the fertilizer stripe, and where the plants should be placed in the box.

It really is neat! I would never have believed that one little Earth Box could grow two full sized tomato plants... and there is a part of me that is still skeptical about the 16 corn and bean plants... but they put a lot of research into how many of each type of plant can grow in one box. So far, others have had good success following the guidelines, so I'm hoping for the best too. :)

Good luck with yours!! Check out the EB forums, too... there are people there with a lot more experience than me. There are some really inspiring photos too!

Edited to add: Just wanted to add that you can use 100% organic potting mix and fertilizer in the Earth Boxes if that is important to you. Since I ordered a whole bunch of boxes from the company, I got enough of a discount to justify the organic options. If you do use the EB Organic fertilizer, be sure to cover it with a little extra potting mix. A couple people on the forums have had animals break into their boxes to get to the organic fertilizer. I covered my fertilizer with some extra potting mix and so far no hungry animals have disturbed my boxes. My dog hasn't even sniffed at them like there's anything interesting in there. :hurray: EB also has instructions somewhere for exactly what components your potting mix/fertilizer should have if you decide to forego the horrendous shipping costs and get it at a local store instead.

Dh and I decided early into our marriage that we'd only have children until I turned 30. We both felt is was important for us to be young parents. I'm a little sad that that part of my life has ended. Not that we would have had more anyhow since five is plenty, but sad that a chapter has closed nonetheless! :)

I feel so blessed that we were able to give our children the gift of grandparents young enough to enjoy them. My parents have been the biggest blessings of our lives. They come to every sporting event, piano recital, talent show, everything. The take one of my children (they take turns) on an exotic vacation every year, usually a cruise or to Europe. They ride the roller coasters and water slides together.

I’m already beginning to see that they are starting to age. My mom turned 55 this year. My dad 58. It’s sad for me to watch them slow down a bit. I feel so lucky that my children go to spend so much time with them in their prime years.

My memories of my grandparents are of them being too old to really play an active role in my life. We had great times but it was completely different.

I feel especially blessed to have parents that love my children as much as me. I feel bad that my sister, who is only 14 lol, will not have the same experiences with her children.

To decide what to plant, I checked with the Sunset Western Garden Book to see what will grow best in my zone and also to figure out when I should plant different types of plants; then I planted a bit more of the stuff that's really expensive at the store! LOL. This year I'm trying melons, which I've never grown at all before. From what I understand, the Earth Box seems to be able to handle the dwarf/patio sized melons (Sugar Baby Watermelons and Little Sweetie Cantaloupes.)

Last year I had 2 tomatoes in one box, and 6 herb plants in the 2nd box. They all did really well, even though the tomatoes from last year weren't even planted until mid-July! You can grow either determinate or indeterminate tomatoes in the box- but the vining ones (indeterminate) that just grow and grow and grow will need more support than the bushier types. This year I have an Early Girl (indeterminate) and a Roma (determinate) in one box, and two Sweet 100's (indeterminate) in another box.

How many plants per box depends on the plant. An EB can only handle 2 tomato plants per box. But you can grow 6 bell peppers. And 16 (!!) bean plants or corn plants per box.

They have a very helpful chart here. How many plants you put in a box determines where you put the fertilizer stripe, and where the plants should be placed in the box.

It really is neat! I would never have believed that one little Earth Box could grow two full sized tomato plants... and there is a part of me that is still skeptical about the 16 corn and bean plants... but they put a lot of research into how many of each type of plant can grow in one box. So far, others have had good success following the guidelines, so I'm hoping for the best too. :)

Good luck with yours!! Check out the EB forums, too... there are people there with a lot more experience than me. There are some really inspiring photos too!

Edited to add: Just wanted to add that you can use 100% organic potting mix and fertilizer in the Earth Boxes if that is important to you. Since I ordered a whole bunch of boxes from the company, I got enough of a discount to justify the organic options. If you do use the EB Organic fertilizer, be sure to cover it with a little extra potting mix. A couple people on the forums have had animals break into their boxes to get to the organic fertilizer. I covered my fertilizer with some extra potting mix and so far no hungry animals have disturbed my boxes. My dog hasn't even sniffed at them like there's anything interesting in there. :hurray: EB also has instructions somewhere for exactly what components your potting mix/fertilizer should have if you decide to forego the horrendous shipping costs and get it at a local store instead.

This was amazingly helpful to me. :hurray: I sent them an email to see if I could obtain the Educators Garden Boxes kit - it comes with six boxes for less than buying them individually. It also comes with a book. I am so excited! Thanks so much. It gives me hope we will be able to get a real garden going. :)

This was amazingly helpful to me. :hurray: I sent them an email to see if I could obtain the Educators Garden Boxes kit - it comes with six boxes for less than buying them individually. It also comes with a book. I am so excited! Thanks so much. It gives me hope we will be able to get a real garden going. :)

Yay! I hope they work out for you! It would be so awesome if you could get the Educator's Kit! If you do, could you let me know what you think of the study guide?

I'm going to PM you with the email address of the head of customer service. I had trouble getting a response from the customer service department, but Frank was very responsive and got right back to me with answers and helpful advice.

Today is my fifty first birthday.

I'm grateful for every day I get to live. I've already lived longer than my dad did. In a few more years, I'll have lived longer than my mom.

God willing.

Well Happy Birthday and may you live a long and beautiful life. :001_smile:

Only a few more months in my 30's...

Overall, I feel pretty good. I feel my age in my knees (when I'm working on them), sitting on the floor with my kiddos, and when I start having problems sleeping.

Being pregnant at 39 is also a LOT different for me than being pregnant at 29... Of course, there's a difference between #1 and #6 too!

I turn 36 next week.. and, yes I am happy with my age, a little bemused at times - however did time go by so quickly? - but happy. I've generally been happy to be whatever age I am... I certainly have no desire to turn back the clock - not even to regain my health.

Yes, I know exactly what you mean! I cannot believe my oldest is 13 already and really quite a young woman. How did that happen? :)

What I am less at peace with is having our parents age.... dh and I both have such amazing, special parents and they are all such an important part of our lives - it is hard to accept that they are growing old. My dad had a heart attack in December... and has already lived longer than *any* man on his family tree for as far back as he knows of. And my m-i-l probably has early onset Alzheimer's - she should get a more definitive diagnosis next month..

I am sorry. It is hard to see these things happening. The older I get the more amazed at how much a whisper our lives really are. I hope you have many more years with your loved ones.

I know, in my more mature moments, that we are so blessed to have had them all be so much a part of our lives and our children's lives and that, G-d willing, we will have many more joyful years with them. Life is good, thank G-d. :)

Yes, I agree. :)