Menu

?'s about CLE Math...I would love your thoughts...

Mommy7

Because I am homeschooling 6 dc, I am always on the lookout for things that can help the children learn a little more independently so as to help shorten the length of my teaching day. I know...schooling 6 is not going to ever be a short day! But, several of us have health issues (me too) and I need things as easy as possible.

Teaching math takes up a significant part of the day. Right now I am using R&S at 3 different levels. It *is* working. It *is* teacher intensive, though.

I looked at some samples of CLE and it looks wonderful and seems to get great reviews from most who use it.

So, questions...

*Can CLE be done pretty independently, even by my not so mathy dc? (they come by it honestly!) How much teacher time does it require?

*Is there enough practice with the concepts for them to stick? I read that it is a spiral program. I've also heard it described as incremental. Do they put the bite size increments together for you eventually? One criticism of Saxon I have read is that they give you a lot of little pieces and expect the student to be able to figure out how to put them together in the problem set without instruction as to how to do that. Most of my dc would probably need it put together for them.

*Is their 8th grade the equivalent of Pre-Algebra?

(Bless you if you are still reading at this point. I apologize for the long winded post!)

I really want to make the right decision about this. I said I would not switch math again after finding R&S. The only reason I am considering it is the fact that it takes me a while to teach it because I am teaching three different levels. If CLE could do the same thing and not require as much of me, I would be interested. The unknown and important factor that concerns me the most is whether my dc would do well with it.

Any wisdom you have to offer will be greatly appreciated. I would love to hear from those who have actually used CLE.

Thanks a bunch!!!

Edited by Mommy7

Okay, I have used 100, 300, 400, and part of 500.

CLE is completely independent from the 300 level on up.

8th is certainly pre algebra. They do not have a pre algebra book. Their algebra will be released this fall.

There is certainly enough practice in the concepts for them to stick. The concepts are explained thoroughly and clearly. The child is not left wondering how to do a problem.

CLE is advanced somewhat. So much so that mine tested into TT pre algebra having not even finished the 500 level.

Be sure to have the kids take the placement tests and then buy the level they place in. This is very important for their success and frustration levels.

I have to say for your younger two, McRuffy might be a better choice. Take a look and decide yourself. Mine are the exact ages and beg for just one more lesson everyday. The lessons are short and sweet.

Did I cover all your questions?

Training5, thank you so much for your thoughts. I'll look at McRuffy. So, did you use CLE 100 with them and then change? Or did you start them with McRuffy? I guess I am curious as to why you felt a different program might be a better choice at that level.

I use CLE, both homeschooling and afterschooling.

So far I've used the 100 level, 200 ,300 and 400 , and 500 reading so far. I use it for reading, LA and Math. To answer your questions:

*Can CLE be done pretty independently, even by my not so mathy dc? (they come by it honestly!) How much teacher time does it require?

Absolutely. From level 300 and up it is very independent. By this level your child can read the information in the Light Units, then do the work on their own. You are the facilitator by that point. Meaning your there if they have any questions. I do recommend getting the teachers manual. Even if you don't really ever use it. It has good material in there and is a good reference should you need to use it. Levels 100,200 do require the teacher manual and you. But honestly they don't take much time to teach. I've used many math programs ( not proud of that by the way) BJU, Calvert, K12, Saxon and CLE's math is the only one that has taken me less time to teach, yet get awesome results. My 4yr old is doing level 100 and we spend maybe about 15 minutes , if that on a lesson. We work on what she needs to learn, the first half of the lesson we work together, then she does the You Can Do It part all by herself. She loves, loves, loves her CLE book. So much so I've had to hide it because if she had her way we'd be doing it all day! LOL. My 2nd grader we go through the material together, work the new material and then I let her go off on her own. My 13 yr old just does the work and comes to me if she doesn't understand. That is WAY more independent then we've had in such a VERY long time.

I liked Saxon but I like CLE even more and this is where I will stop with Math programs. My younger three enjoy it , my oldest doesn't like anything. So I'm happy with that.

*Is there enough practice with the concepts for them to stick? I read that it is a spiral program. I've also heard it described as incremental. Do they put the bite size increments together for you eventually? One criticism of Saxon I have read is that they give you a lot of little pieces and expect the student to be able to figure out how to put them together in the problem set without instruction as to how to do that. Most of my dc would probably need it put together for them.

YOu betcha there's enough practice. Sometimes so much so some families feel they can assign problems. I have my girls do them all , but that's me. I feel if they keep practicing the better they'll become at it. Everything comes together in the CLE math. Unlike Saxon where it gives them little pieces and has them figure it out eventually , CLE teaches them in small bits and it all comes together. No surprises like Saxon either. The one thing I didn't care for was they threw in problems they barely taught or didn't teach at all. So far we have yet to encounter this at all with the program. You practice what you are taught. No surprises.

Actually their 700 level is the equivalent of a Pre-Algebra program. Even though they say 8th is. So far the general consensus on the Christian Light yahoo group is that 700 is the equivalent of a Pre-Algebra program. They will be coming out with Algebra 1 here really soon. Its in its beta stage at the moment. Then CLE will come out with Algebra 2 and Geometry and that's where they will stop with their Sunrise edition. They have no plans on coming out with anything higher than that. Those plans of course are much farther down the road though.

Also a few more things to mention. CLE's math is considered advanced. Not that it really is. Not so much for the kids that start out with it, but it is for the kids that are coming in from another curriculum. You need, need, need to have your child take the diagnostic tests. It is very important that you do, especially for your child's sanity and yours. But placing them in the proper level will eleviate frustration big time. Don't focus on the levels. Like the CLE rep says on the yahoo group. They are just levels to homeschoolers. Nothing more. They are grade levels for brick and mortar schools. So if he places a level or two lower don't be in shell shock. Its normal and you can and will catch up if need be. Its rare to see a child place higher. Not that it doesn't happen, it does. But not very often.

The teacher portion of CLE is definitely shorter than R&S and if you have a child who is good with math, it could even be almost totally independent. My son used R&S from levels 1 - 5 and part of 6 and he's begun supplementing with CLE.

Honestly, I think R&S is the better choice for the "nonmathy" because there is lots of practice on one concept before moving on. CLE teaches a new concept and gives a few problems for the child to practice. Then it will continue to review that new concept with a couple of problems. R&S will teach a new concept and give you a whole page of problems on that concept and continue to drill it until your child knows it backward and forward. That is not necessary for all kids, but I am glad I stuck with R&S as long as I did with my son. R&S also moves at a slower pace so the child has more of an opportunity to really absorb and understand what he is learning if he struggles. My son will continue with CLE over the summer, but then we will pick up where we left off in R&S at least through the 6th grade book, supplementing with CLE.

So, yes, CLE can be independent, but if it were me, I would probably only switch my stronger math students to it unless they've already gone through R&S 5. I'm not sure what levels of R&S you are teaching, but I did find I was able to skim and shorten some of the teacher portion of the lessons once we hit the 4th or 5th grade book. It was taking too long to do cover everything in the teacher book.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

I had used 100 with a friend of mine's dd for about 6 months. It was a tough call on whether to go with it or not for my little guys because CLE is just so good!

I felt CLE 100 was way too advanced for my boys and not fun. It states it is for absolute beginners with no background but in reality, it is not. I wanted the younger guys' first experience to math to not be so fact memorization focused. The first fact is introduced in lesson 2, I believe. It also clips along at a rapid pace. I knew mine would not be ready for it.

I started with McRuffy K in math and lang arts. McRuffy has games, fun manips., color, etc.. It appeals to them more. It does not take long to teach. The writer plans to continue through grade 6. K through 3rd are available now with 4th being ready early fall.

If yours have already started with R&S, they will do fine on the CLE placement tests. Mine, who had no prior schooling experience, were not ready for the rigor of CLE.

Because I am homeschooling 6 dc, I am always on the lookout for things that can help the children learn a little more independently so as to help shorten the length of my teaching day. I know...schooling 6 is not going to ever be a short day! But, several of us have health issues (me too) and I need things as easy as possible.

Teaching math takes up a significant part of the day. Right now I am using R&S at 3 different levels. It *is* working. It *is* teacher intensive, though.

I looked at some samples of CLE and it looks wonderful and seems to get great reviews from most who use it.

So, questions...

(Bless you if you are still reading at this point. I apologize for the long winded post!)

I really want to make the right decision about this. I said I would not switch math again after finding R&S. The only reason I am considering it is the fact that it takes me a while to teach it because I am teaching three different levels. If CLE could do the same thing and not require as much of me, I would be interested. The unknown and important factor that concerns me the most is whether my dc would do well with it.

Any wisdom you have to offer will be greatly appreciated. I would love to hear from those who have actually used CLE.

Thanks a bunch!!!

I have not read the other replies... I have and do use CLE, And I love it, but my biggest words of wisdom is that math is NEVER and independent subject. I know others may disagree...and I have really battled myself on this one....but math is just too important to entrust to kids....even big kids who you think are "getting it.". Too often, too late....you find out they are not.

If you need more independent subjects, choose anything else besides math, Grammar and Reading. Just my 2 cents.

Faithe

Mommyfaithe, I wanted to respond to your response. :D

I didn't look at it like it would be *completely* independent. I was just hoping for a shorter teacher time in presenting the lessons. Maybe that's not realistic? I'm concerned about trying to switch anyway. If it is not a good fit, then it will be wasted time and math is the area I constantly feel "behind" in. (whatever *that* means!) I may just stick with R&S, but try to get our time down. I don't know what to do.

I really like everything I am using. I just tend to pick more teacher intensive programs, so I end up with a long day. I'm not sure how to fix that. I have grouped the children together where possible and that has helped tremendously. But, my day still ends up being long. I guess I should just accept it instead of trying to figure out a way to change it. :tongue_smilie:

Any ideas?

Thanks for posting this. I was just coming here to ask the same question. I want a math program for my dd8 to use this summer, and continue afterschooling with it throughout the year.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, because this is an important component for us: CLE is in a workbook format, meaning no copying then completing the problems, correct?

Any other feedback would be welcome. She's scored advanced in math (according to ps standards) and it seems to come much more easy for her than her brothers. :o

Thanks!

I'm using CLE with my dyslexic, learning delayed son and my mathy daughter just started because she liked what she saw my son doing. I've used several math programs over the years. I really liked R&S math but my son couldn't handle the copying of problems. He really likes CLE though especially since its in a workbook format. He also needs the constant review which he gets with CLE.

Each lesson is formatted the same way. There are usually 3-4 things to do first, such as count by 4's from 0 to 48 forward and backward, review certain flashcards (they tell you which ones) and do a 1 minute speed drill. I do this with him (and now my daughter too) and I time his speed drill. Then there are 4 pages of math to do. The first page and usually part of the 2nd page are new concepts. I do this "lesson" with him. This all takes about 10 minutes. Then the next section is "We Remember" and he works these problems on his own - usually about 2 pages worth of review. There is more than enough room to do the work even for my son who writes large. We often do two lessons in a day since he's behind but cognitively, he's catching up quite a bit lately.

Hope that helps a bit. I'm quite happy with CLE.

My kids like it. It is working well. I have a slower and faster learner and they both do very well. I briefly go over the new material, make sure they understand and let them go. I do mark out some of the practice if I know they understand a concept but they don't grumble about math anymore BUT mine don't want color, puzzles, crafts in their math. They want to do math and then go have fun.

I just felt so drawn to it when I looked at the samples.

What is the best way to decide? Maybe I need to order a couple light units and some teacher's manuals and then decide???

I guess the worst case scenario is if it didn't work and I went back to R&S. But, if it did work, it could make a big difference in our day. The workbook format would be really nice too.

Should I have them do placement tests first?

Edited by Mommy7

Mommyfaithe, I wanted to respond to your response. :D

I didn't look at it like it would be *completely* independent. I was just hoping for a shorter teacher time in presenting the lessons. Maybe that's not realistic? I'm concerned about trying to switch anyway. If it is not a good fit, then it will be wasted time and math is the area I constantly feel "behind" in. (whatever *that* means!) I may just stick with R&S, but try to get our time down. I don't know what to do.

I really like everything I am using. I just tend to pick more teacher intensive programs, so I end up with a long day. I'm not sure how to fix that. I have grouped the children together where possible and that has helped tremendously. But, my day still ends up being long. I guess I should just accept it instead of trying to figure out a way to change it. :tongue_smilie:

Any ideas?

Oh, I figured that, but...if it ain't broke....

CLE is not teacher intensive, as in all of the lesson is right there...in the workbook. It tells you which flash cards to drill, which speed drill to do, which skip coating etc. My planning is nil....just do the next lesson. Love that. My kids are so needy in that if I do not sit with them and point to the next dang problem, they just sit there:tongue_smilie: Maybe, with your kids, you could teach the lesson and then have them do the review section themselves.

I never used R&S so I can't compare.

My days are extremely long as well....and I am down to 3 full time homeschoolers and 1 part time homeschooler....no babies....it should be so much easier....but somehow, it isn't.

Faithe

Absolutely have them take the placement tests first!!!!!

We did not do the flashcards or timed the fact drills as my guys freak about being timed. They were older than the normal grade level, though.

I go over the new stuff (5-10 min.) and then my dd does the rest (review) by herself. She checks her own answers. It's pretty independent.

The review is just right for my dd. From what I've read/heard about Saxon, CLE does not do the same approach. CLE tends to very directly teach each concept.

We're not there, yet, so I don't know. :)

We've used it for 4-5 years now (time flies).

You don't have to present the lesson, but you must be involved. I have my kids work on the new material on their own, and then explain it me while I check their work. Then they do the rest on their own, and when they prove themselves, they check their own. I check all of the tests/quizzes.

Definitely take the placement tests. In my experience, they are quite accurate.

Our test scores have been stellar, although I have a broader view of their education than that.

As much as I love their math, the Algebra I is not for sale as a final product until 2012-2013, and math after that is years away. Last I looked into it, they write, field test for two years, beta test for a year, and then publish.

We love CLE. There is a small amt. of new material each lesson. As in, it takes me about 60 seconds to teach it. The rest is review. Then when my son finishes, I grade his problems and work through any that he missed with him.

I love it. It's very thorough and organized, but not overwhelming to teacher or student.

Go ahead and order a few units. What do you have to lose? It's dirt cheap. Then you'll know if you like it.

We also love it. Starting our 4th year with my middle son...3rd grade with my youngest. We used quite a few different math curriculum's b4 finding CLE. I sooo wish my guinea pig - uh, oldest son - had used it! Anyway, it is very independent, but I love that I can help if need be sooo simply. The instructions are so clear and even if they don't get it (rare for my son - who is avg at math), than mom can do it. It is solid academically, yet gentle and has great flow. We used Horizons (similar to Saxon, I think) and it was soo jumpy and there was not much instruction, imo. I love that there is room to write and love that everything is in there. You can cross off if it's too much review or have them do everything.

It is pretty cheap, although consumable, so it is an easy try! Good luck! I highly recommend it for moms of many - they really can do it on their own. My little guy did a lot of the 2nd grade one on his own with my supervision and assistance when needed - especially near the end.

Love the reading and LA also!! :001_smile:

Absolutely have them take the placement tests first!!!!!

We did not do the flashcards or timed the fact drills as my guys freak about being timed. They were older than the normal grade level, though.

:iagree: I forgot to add that. No flashcards here. My first grader does the speed drill because she likes them, ds does not so we skip it. He still scored far above average on the PASS test for what it's worth.

I have four kids. I understand the "wanting to shorten your day". I really do.

So, I too was drawn to CLE, especially for my younger students. (They are now going into 7th and 3rd.) During DS's 5th grade year, we decided to try a few light units. Just to see if it was a good fit. WAS IT EVER!

My time is minimum. About 5 to 10 minutes to teach the lesson. (And I agree with Faithe, WE should be teaching math.) But then the student can be responsible for the review. And if you are comfortable, they can check the lesson.

Test scores have come up. WAY UP

4th grade(With BJU):Total Math on the Stanford:National PR 74/Stanine 6

5th grade (with about 1/2 year of CLE)Total Math on Stanford:National PR93/Stanine 8

6th grade (With whole year of CLE 6) Total Math on Stanford: National PR 96/Stanine 9

We also love the cost of CLE. Especially if you want to just "try it out".

Most of all, I LOVE the Christian Worldview in CLE. Love it. We also use the CLE reading.

Just wish we had found it sooner.

Blessings,

Brenda:001_smile:

We didn't use the placement tests. I just looked at the scope and sequence and jumped in. Because CLE is so THOROUGH, there were things she hadn't seen before so I sat with her for a week or two to introduce her to the new topics, which were basic (vertical, horizonal, room temperature, etc.) but may have overwhelmed her without me there. KWIM?

Dd started with CLE math three and a half years ago. Before that, dd struggled, and I tried various programs, despairing. She still can take a long time with math, but that's her part of the work, not mine. The teaching part never takes more than 10 minutes.

I hadn't given dd a standardized test since starting CLE, but I decided to try it this year and she got perfect scores on the math sections. And, I see her carrying over the skills into real life. CLE works for us.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate everyone's input. It is truly invaluable!

I have decided to do the placement tests and go with what it says. Did you follow their instructions and do two tests to determine their level? It seems the more accurate thing to do, but loooong for the student. I will definitely need to break it up into several sessions.

Then, I think I will try a few light units for each level we end up with and see how we like it. That shouldn't be much of a loss even if it doesn't work out.

If CLE works for us, I will be so thankful! 10 minutes of instruction vs. 30 minutes is a big difference! Also, it will save the dc lots of time to have a workbook and not have to copy the problems down!

Thanks again! :grouphug:

The replies have covered things really well, but I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I picked up CLE 200 for Rebecca last year. We were still using Right Start C. I love CLE! Teaching time is very minimal, and I love that they give me detailed instructions - count this, speed drill, flashcards. I think Rebecca is learning really well with CLE. We're going to continue with 300 in the fall, and I'll be using 100 with Sylvia.

Do use the diagnostic tests. And it's so inexpensive that it's easy to test out.

Start with one placement test & see where it gets you. I had mine take 20-30 minutes each day until she was done with it.

We used CLE 400 with my oldest last year. I sat with her in the intro section (5 min) and watched her do the first few problems (the new stuff). I corrected her work when she was done (some have kids self-correct). She had to redo anything she missed.

I liked it; she hated it. (She was used to A Beka's front & back page of one sheet. CLE can be 4-5 pages per lesson with roughly the same number of problems - it just looked like a lot to her.) I thought it was a good year in Math, but we're back with ABeka for the next level.

I would definitely recommend giving it a try.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate everyone's input. It is truly invaluable!

I have decided to do the placement tests and go with what it says. Did you follow their instructions and do two tests to determine their level? It seems the more accurate thing to do, but loooong for the student. I will definitely need to break it up into several sessions.

Then, I think I will try a few light units for each level we end up with and see how we like it. That shouldn't be much of a loss even if it doesn't work out.

If CLE works for us, I will be so thankful! 10 minutes of instruction vs. 30 minutes is a big difference! Also, it will save the dc lots of time to have a workbook and not have to copy the problems down!

Thanks again! :grouphug:

The highlighted. That is another thing we love about it!

We really appreciate CLE math. I have tried others and my kids begged to switch back! The main reason I switched was because I have a non mathy dd who is a grade ahead in school, so she got bogged down. What I ended up doing was going back to CLE and slowing down to half a lesson a day and I supplemented some to teach her double multiplication. She just wasn't getting it. Now she works grade level in math, and is doing great! She is ahead with all other subjects but it wasn't working for math.

Another very pleased CLE user!

I just felt so drawn to it when I looked at the samples.

What is the best way to decide? Maybe I need to order a couple light units and some teacher's manuals and then decide???

I guess the worst case scenario is if it didn't work and I went back to R&S. But, if it did work, it could make a big difference in our day. The workbook format would be really nice too.

Should I have them do placement tests first?

The best way to decide is to order a few of the Light Units and give it a try.

That's the only way really. The nice part is you don't have to purchase an entire math curriculum. Just order a few of the Light Units and see if its a good fit or not.

I don't agree that its advanced in the way kids will have a hard time learning from it. Its only 'advanced' because many children are coming in from using different curriculums. Some people see it as being advanced and I've also seen people feel it goes to slow in certain areas. It just depends where your child is at in math.

I don't think its for 'mathy' kids. My girls are anything but "mathy". Well my 4yr old maybe as she's completing the 100 level right now and doing just fine. I like the fact that it does include drill. But instead of doing just flashcards I make games out of it and make it fun. My 4yr old wants to do math as soon as her eyes open, I swear. As soon as she comes into my room and wakes me up she asks to do math. LOL. I've had to hide her book from her a few times to slow her down.

Don't feel bad for wanting to try out CLE. I like the fact that the lessons are much shorter.

With my 7yr old right now I just read the lesson in the workbook. We go over a few problems to make sure she understands, go over some past concepts. Then I hand her the workbook and she does her math. She puts it on the table and I correct it. The next day we go over her corrections together and that's it. Takes so much less time then past math programs I've used. Yet I still see excellent results.

My girls love the workbooks, my oldest likes the fact she doesn't have to copy so much math down ( though they do have to write problems down in the Light Units starting in the 200 level ,more for word problems.

Anyways I say give it a try. See how it goes. If it works , great. If not go back to what you were using. You just don't know how your child is going to respond to it. Some non mathy kids suddenly ' wake up' and do really well with it and love it. Some math kids do well with it , some don't. You just never know where your child is going to lean unless you try.

I can say though its not 100% independent, no math program ever is, it does take less time to teach and they still learn just as well as if you spent more time on lesson prep and so forth.

Always, always have them do the diagnostic test. Always. This will properly put them in the right level.

I can say though its not 100% independent, no math program ever is...

I've never used a math program that I had to teach. I used Developmental Mathematics for years, starting when my oldest was in 1st grade, up until about a year ago. It is in workbook format and totally self-teaching. I have had children use Saxon Algebra 1/2 independently. And I have used Teaching Textbooks for Algebra and Geometry. Obviously there are times when the child just doesn't get it and you have to help, but that to me is not the same as having to teach each and every lesson.

We recently switched to CLE because my 2 of my kids were struggling with math and I had heard lots of good things about CLE. There is some teaching and teacher involvement (reading the story problem, dictating numbers) in the first grade. The 3rd and 4th grade is totally independent, with the exception of things like "read these numbers to your teacher", and "write what your teacher tells you" every now and then. All the teaching is in the workbook and my kids read the instructions and do the lesson. So far they have only needed my help on rare occasions. I do check their work and have them correct it. I'd say it is about as independent as it gets.

Susan in TX

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update:

I bought CLE 300 Math for dd 8. We have been working for about a week now and I/she really like it. Here are some observations:

Definitely take the placement tests. Some parts she breezed through, others were things she hadn't seen before.

Not too overwhelming! Each lesson has just enough, not an overwhelming amount like Saxon.

I like the fact that you can take the workbook anywhere with you.

The warm ups are actually fun. I learned that although dd knows how to count by 2s, 5s, 10s, very quickly, counting backwards is a real struggle.

The font size is actuallly made for real humans, also. :001_smile:

* I also ordered the reading, but started with 204 to fill in gaps.

Hope this helps!

Just an update:

I bought CLE 300 Math for dd 8. We have been working for about a week now and I/she really like it. Here are some observations:

Definitely take the placement tests. Some parts she breezed through, others were things she hadn't seen before.

Not too overwhelming! Each lesson has just enough, not an overwhelming amount like Saxon.

I like the fact that you can take the workbook anywhere with you.

The warm ups are actually fun. I learned that although dd knows how to count by 2s, 5s, 10s, very quickly, counting backwards is a real struggle.

The font size is actuallly made for real humans, also. :001_smile:

* I also ordered the reading, but started with 204 to fill in gaps.

Hope this helps!

I'm so happy to hear you're pleased with CLE and that it looks like something that will work for you. It's such a blessing when a new curriculum works out that way. Wishing you all the best!