Menu

Is this Crazy to even consider?

Since you asked, I will give my opinion. I think it might work, but I wouldn't think it would be easy or even work well. It's hard to homeschool your own kids, so adding others in, will make it even harder. If everyone is working pt, then I'd have them do some of the subjects at their own houses daily, and then later in the afternoon, you could meet for some combined classes, like a co-op. I would not take on the responsibility of teaching 17 kids with only one other person, since you have such a variety of ages. I'm sure it's possible, but I don't think it would be done well. I couldn't do it because I'm very picky about curriculum and expect a lot from my son. Even my closest homeschooling friends, vary in their ideas of what they think is acceptable for behavior and school work. I'd homeschool my own, and if it's important to the others, then they should homeschool their own kids! This of course, is only my opinion and given only because you asked. Best of luck to you!

Homeschool your own kids. The other mom who wants to can quit her job and homeschool her kids. The part-time workers can see if they can homeschool around their work schedule. The full-time working mom - if she wants to homeschool, have her come to these boards and look for posts by other parents who manage to homeschool while working.

I would NOT try and merge the kids! Just start out with your own kids! Encourage the others to come here, too.

If, down the road, merging some grades/kids works (and is legal in your state), then you can create your own mini-co'op. But don't start from scratch trying to do more than your own kids.

Why don't you start by homeschooling your own five and see how that goes? You will have a much better idea of whether you want to commit to pretty much running a one room schoolhouse after you get a feel for schooling your own five.

:iagree:

By definition, in Michigan a homeschool is run by the parents in the student's own home. But you have the non-public school option:

2. Home schools operating as nonpublic schools must furnish the local public school superintendent or the intermediate superintendent with the following information at the beginning of each school year (MCLA § 380.1578):

(a) The name and age of each child enrolled at the school,

(b) The number or name of the school district and the city or township and county where the parent lives,

© The name and address of the parent, and

(d) The name and age of any child enrolled in the school who is not in regular attendance.

3. If requested by the Michigan Department of Education, home schools operating as nonpublic schools are required to submit records of enrollment of pupils, courses of study, and qualifications of teachers. MCLA § 388.555. The Form SM-4325 has been developed by the Department of Education for use in reporting this information.

Teacher Qualifications: Option I: None. Option II: MCLA § 388.553 requires that teachers in nonpublic schools be state-certified. However, in People v. DeJonge, 501 N.W.2d 127 (Mich. 1993), the Michigan Supreme Court overturned all lower cases and struck down teacher certification for private and home schools as unconstitutional. The Court held: “We hold that the teacher certification requirement is an unconstitutional violation of

Michigan MI-3 the free exercise clause of the First Amendment as applied to families whose religious convictions prohibit the use of certified instructors. Such families, therefore, are exempt from the dictates of the teacher certification requirement.â€

Home schools which do not have a religious objection to teacher certification are required to have all hours of instruction in the home school done by a certified teacher (see Clonlara v. State Board of Education, 501 N.W.2d 88 (Mich. 1993)). However, the Michigan Department of Education now considers persons with a teaching certificate, a teaching permit, or a bachelor’s degree as qualified to teach in a nonpublic school.

By definition, in Michigan a homeschool is run by the parents in the student's own home.

I read through what you posted twice, and I did not see any mention of where the children must sit down and do school. If it has to be in their own home, does that mean that someone couldn't take their children to the library to do their schoolwork there? I've known families that don't like to do schoolwork in their own home because the environment is not formal enough. So would that not be allowed in Michigan?

I read through what you posted twice, and I did not see any mention of where the children must sit down and do school. If it has to be in their own home, does that mean that someone couldn't take their children to the library to do their schoolwork there? I've known families that don't like to do schoolwork in their own home because the environment is not formal enough. So would that not be allowed in Michigan?

Sorry, I was only referencing the part about the non-public school option. Here is the homeschooling option:

Option I: Home School Statute Option. MCLA § 380.1561(3)(f) (effective July 1, 1996).

1. A child is not required to attend a public school if:

“The child is being educated at the child’s home by his or her parent or legal guardian in an organized educational program in the subject areas of reading, spelling, mathematics, science, history, civics, literature, writing, and English grammar.â€

2. There are no requirements to notify, seek approval, test, file forms, or have any certain teacher qualifications. The burden is on the state to prove that the parents are not teaching their children.

I'm sure no one will object to a parent holding lessons at McDonalds or Starbucks or the library on occasion since they take the time to spell out that the burden of proof is on the state. But it doesn't seem like the OP could use the homeschooling option in her cottage school scenario

Barb

What you are describing is a one-room schoolhouse. It can work (I went to one) but I think what made it work is that the parents who set it up recognized that it really was a school with set school days, curricula etc.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Homeschool your own kids. The other mom who wants to can quit her job and homeschool her kids. The part-time workers can see if they can homeschool around their work schedule. The full-time working mom - if she wants to homeschool, have her come to these boards and look for posts by other parents who manage to homeschool while working.

Homeschooling is not easy. I'm not sure you are going to like homeschooling 17 kids! I definitely would not (unless they were all my kids). If your heart is set on it, maybe you could try it over the summer (as others have said) and see how it goes. That way if it's awful, no one will be behind.

If it's legal (I would really look into this), and you still want to do it after the summer session, I think MFW (Or Heart of Dakota) would be a good choice. Otherwise, Christian Light Publications (http://www.clp.org/) is rigorous, affordable, and independent (except for, like, kindergarten... maybe first). I think this could also work. Also, the Duggars have tons of kids and they use Switched on Schoolhouse. A Beka's DVD program would be nice (although expensive).

I think what some of the others suggested, as far as each parent teaching their kids math and English at home, and meeting for history, science, etc. would be a good idea. You could still use the above curriculum.

If you school them all together, then I would use MFW for history and science, and hand them all Light Units (Christian Light Publications) for everything else!

ETA: For the highschoolers, you could use Alpha Omega Lifepacs (similar to the Light Units).

Edited by Jinnah

I belong to the other forum where you posted (and stumbled across her thread over there). Some posters pointed out the legal aspect of it as well. After reading your response (below) I'm starting to think this is a horrible idea. I would never claim anything that wasn't really happening. Stuff like this gives homeschoolers a really bad name.

re: re: Is it crazy to even consider this?

By: MaryinMI Jun 14, 2011 02:00:PM

This is the law for homeschooling:

"The child is being educated at the child's home by his or her parent or legal guardian in an organized educational program in the subject areas of Reading, Spelling, Mathematics, Science, History, Civics, Literature, Writing and English Grammar."

But we could all claim we are doing this, as the parent will be responsible for it, sort of like a co-op everyone will just come to my house and work together on it?

Or do we have to be counted as a non-public school?

I belong to the other forum where you posted (and stumbled across her thread over there). Some posters pointed out the legal aspect of it as well. After reading your response (below) I'm starting to think this is a horrible idea. I would never claim anything that wasn't really happening. Stuff like this gives homeschoolers a really bad name.

re: re: Is it crazy to even consider this?

By: MaryinMI Jun 14, 2011 02:00:PM

This is the law for homeschooling:

"The child is being educated at the child's home by his or her parent or legal guardian in an organized educational program in the subject areas of Reading, Spelling, Mathematics, Science, History, Civics, Literature, Writing and English Grammar."

But we could all claim we are doing this, as the parent will be responsible for it, sort of like a co-op everyone will just come to my house and work together on it?

Or do we have to be counted as a non-public school?

The 3 moms working part-time would still be a HUGE part in it too and people on here said as long as the parent is responsible for 50% of it Which the moms will DEFINITLY be doing.

What we are going to do is use the same curriculums and do a co-op type thing, and come together (even when some of the moms are at work) and do it together.

We figured yes each child's parent will be the main teacher we will just be going along together.

Im not sure about the at the child's home thing, but im not *that* conserned b/c i know people homeschool other places besides the home.

Before you say im not claiming whats really happening and that im giving "homeschoolers a bad name" i know i might of started out saying how 2 of us would teach etc. but now we were going to go about things changed and i said it in my posts, so please read what ive said before you post

Also wanted to add it was in a question form i said we would be unless we had to be considered a non-public school, hence the question mark.

The 3 moms working part-time would still be a HUGE part in it too and people on here said as long as the parent is responsible for 50% of it Which the moms will DEFINITLY be doing.

What we are going to do is use the same curriculums and do a co-op type thing, and come together (even when some of the moms are at work) and do it together.

We figured yes each child's parent will be the main teacher we will just be going along together.

Im not sure about the at the child's home thing, but im not *that* conserned b/c i know people homeschool other places besides the home.

Before you say im not claiming whats really happening and that im giving "homeschoolers a bad name" i know i might of started out saying how 2 of us would teach etc. but now we were going to go about things changed and i said it in my posts, so please read what ive said before you post

Also wanted to add it was in a question form i said we would be unless we had to be considered a non-public school, hence the question mark.

I have read everything that you posted. You said the part in bold, and it sounds really bad, and it does make homeschoolers look bad.

Please do not feel the need to get defensive. I would actually like this to work out for you if it can... I'm not completely against it. I just really don't want you doing anything that could even remotely get you in trouble. It's just not worth it. Also, once one homeschooler starts schooling illegally, it makes it bad for the rest of us.

No one here is against you. Most of the time we encourage homeschooling. You just have to realize that most of us (on here) have been homeschooling for years, and we know how tough it is. We know how important it is that everything is done legally. No bending the rules. As far as the rest of it, we know it's exciting when it's new, but we also know how it's going to get when the "honeymoon phase" wears off. We just want you to be prepared for that.

What you do not realize is how big of a job it's going to be even for you to homeschool your own children. Then add in all the other kids, and woah! I like my kids to sit down and get their work done. I cannot imagine having a bunch of other kids around causing a distraction (just their presence would be distracting). You have to consider this stuff. It's not impossible, but it's going to be a tough job. It would be different if all 17 were siblings. My kids can do their work around each other (well, at times I actually have to separate them a lot). There is no way they could homeschool with their friends here.

Like I said earlier, please try this out now, while it's summer time. It will give you an idea of what it will be like. Then imagine doing that for nine months!

Most importantly, maybe you can call the HSLDA (http://www.hslda.org/) and be completely honest with them about your plans. They are there to help you. I imagine they will be able to tell you what you can and cannot do. They will tell you how to do this legally, if possible.

I know you said you are a Christian. Pray for guidance and for God to reveal His will to you. Then do whatever that may be. God bless!

Edited by Jinnah
error

I think it sounds like an awesome adventure! I think the best way to pull it off would be to organize it like a co-op. Each mom teaches their own, but you get together a couple of days a week to do projects. In the end, each individual family MUST be committed to homeschooler their kids. If there is any expectation that the stay at home moms are going to pick up everyone else's slack, it will be disastrous. A curriculum like TOG would be perfect in this situation, because it spans all of the ages. The only part of this that is a bit nerve wracking is the high schoolers. You really don't have room to screw this up for them.

I'm all for doing crazy things. Just sitting here thinking about it, I can come up with at least 3 or 4 different ways to format it that I think would totally work. The constant in my mind is the participation of all of the parents (moms). Without everyone putting in equal effort, this has friendship ruining potential.

Update us if you go for it!

I'd do the 10th in AHL, too, with independent math. If you can figure out the legal part :) Could you all afford to hire a tutor to be there just over 50% of the time? (Would that make the legal part work?) Or, perhaps find out if there's a teacher that would work with you?

:) (BTW, in our co-op we have 9th-11th starting with AHL. I believe that's how MFW shows it...) Perhaps there is an outside class for Spanish? BTW, you're into Science Labs.... maybe one of the other moms can pick that up for you? You have a serious co-op going on.. :) Just make sure the other parents can help :)

I don't know the legalities, so I'll stay away from that.

Regarding the overall idea, I think it sounds very doable. As another poster has mentioned, it sounds like a one room school house. Not too long ago, 18 year old girls were teaching that many kids with ages ranging as much as yours. They didn't start out small. They jumped in teaching the whole group. And it worked! You have experience with kids of different ages, and you know all the kids you will be teaching. I think it could be very successful. However, as a word of caution, with the school teachers, teaching was a *job* that required hours of work to prepare and grade. Be prepared for working outside school hours.

A couple of things to consider: maybe the moms could divide up the kids and one could be responsible for the youngers, one for the middlers, and one for the olders? Then, you'll each only be teaching 5-6 kids of similar levels.

I think that MFW sounds like it might work for your situation. You also might want to look into a program like Abeka, especially for the first year. Abeka is very workbook-based, and would allow the kids to work at their own pace. This might be beneficial as you get used to homeschooling. Then, looking ahead, you could start adding literature-based history and multi-grade learning in the second semester or next year.

A couple of people have mentioned the strain on your house financially. For our coop that meets 2 times/month, we pay a "facility fee" of $1/kid/meeting. This goes to the church that we use to pay for the water and electricity that we use. Perhaps you and the other families could agree upon a certain amount that each group will contribute to help offset any additional expenses you incur.

Lunch also needs to be discussed. Will the other families bring their lunch? Will each mom take a day of the week to provide lunch for the whole group? What about dishes, napkins, etc.?

There are some details that need to be worked out, but I think overall the situation sounds great. It's wonderful that you have such a group of close friends with whom you share similar child-raising philosophies. The kids will benefit from being together and being in a mixed group like that.

Good luck and best wishes!

I would NOT try and merge the kids! Just start out with your own kids! Encourage the others to come here, too.

If, down the road, merging some grades/kids works (and is legal in your state), then you can create your own mini-co'op. But don't start from scratch trying to do more than your own kids.

Every year (and I only homeschool two), I have these grand plans. Goodness, even before I started homeschooling and was contemplating it, I had these grand ideas - I'm going to be home, so the house will be cleaner, the dinners will always be made, my homeschool will look like ____ (fill in the blank, my grand plans change each year). And then I try to implement everything and it just isn't possible and I have to readjust - which is fine.

But, what happens if one of your part-time moms realizes she had these grand ideas - working part-time, homeschooling, etc...and finds she just can't do it? What happens then? Seems like you are putting yourself at great risk here in the event of that happening - of losing a friendship (or at least straining it), and possibly disturbing your own homeschool.

Just my 2 cents.

Angela

In the end, each individual family MUST be committed to homeschooler their kids. If there is any expectation that the stay at home moms are going to pick up everyone else's slack, it will be disastrous.

The constant in my mind is the participation of all of the parents (moms). Without everyone putting in equal effort, this has friendship ruining potential.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: This is my main concern too.

I'm not sure why there is the big need to do it all together? I'm not getting this other than the fact that you've all wanted to homeschool. Why doesn't everyone try it on their own for a year? You can still get together once a week for a few hours for a co-op type thing for 1 subject to see how the group dynamics work.

If I was going to embark on such a huge commitment to educate my children, I'd be worried about my OWN kids before my friend's kids.

I'd get a year under my belt with my own kids to see how it worked out and how the multi-age management worked out for myself.

Only then, would I consider adding in others.

And even though you said you all have the same parenting styles, etc-I'm sure you will be surprised that you don't behind closed doors. This is a sure way to test your friendships and if you are all aware of this, then at least you'll be prepared for the inevitable issues that arise. And they will.

It sounds like your mind is made up though. I don't know when your public schools start but if you can do August as your "trial" month then at least you'll have a better idea if this is doable at all. If not, then those that want to, can still attend school or at least homeschool in their own home.

I'm not trying to be negative, but realistic. Homeschooling is HARD work with our OWN kids whether it's 1 or 5, but educating (it's not homeschooling when it's others' kids) your friend's kids is beyond anything I'd risk.