Menu

Anyone up for reading and discussing Les Miserables?

We keep catching the PBS plege drive broadcasts of Les Miz in Concert. Reminded me that I've never read the book. So despite a bunch of warnings about how terribly long and rabbit trail filled it is, I downloaded an unabridged version.

Would anyone like to join me in reading and talking about it?

I'm several chapters in (chapters are short in my translation) and am already amused that almost none of the characters from the musical version have shown up yet.

I'd be happy to talk about it because I loved the book! But it's been over a year since I finished it. I read the unabridged version - most of those 1400 pages were worth it. Dh and I will see the musical for the first time this August.

There are many rabbit trails and I read most of them and found them interesting. There was one in the second half of the book that I just c.ou.l.d. n.o.t. b.e.a.r. to finish (I think it had to to with French politics of the time).

I've been wanting to read it again as well. I read it in high school then again while in college or shortly there after. It's one of my favorites as well and love how it all weaves together. I think I may even know where my copy is!

(I got the DVD in the states. It's my all-time favorite musical.)

I downloaded an unabridged version

Which version? Can you give the translator or the link, please?

I just bought and watched the DVD (double feature - Fredric March - 1935 and Michael Rennie - 1952) but have never read the book, so I would like to try.

Won't this be fun?

I read the first half of this unabridged and the last half abridged for my book club 2 summers ago. Based on our club's experience I have a theory that one's enjoyment of it greatly depends on the translation/edition that is read. If I knew which one to recommend I would. I apparently didn't have the right version.

My opinion...when it was good, it was very, very good but when it was bad, it was horrid. :D

I do need to re-read the last half in the unabridged (even a subpar one) The abridged was just hideous!

Which version? Can you give the translator or the link, please?

I just bought and watched the DVD (double feature - Fredric March - 1935 and Michael Rennie - 1952) but have never read the book, so I would like to try.

Won't this be fun?

My iPod is using Stanza for ereader features. The version I downloaded was from Munsey's. Not sure if it credits the translator.

So far it seems witty in a dry way.

My iPod is using Stanza for ereader features. The version I downloaded was from Munsey's. Not sure if it credits the translator.

Thanks Sebastian and all the others who have suggested translations. I'm off to see what the bookstore has in stock!

Is there going to be a timeline for this? Just wondering if I should start reading. I found my book yesterday and looks like on my last reading I only got about half way through, guess I'll start over.

I have a copy from the library. I think it is the same Signet edition you had (Cosette on the cover).

So far I'm up to the section in book 1 where Jean Valjean comes on the scene.

So should we go ahead and start a social group for this? Or keep it here with a thread for various sections and/or themes.

I have a copy from the library. I think it is the same Signet edition you had (Cosette on the cover).

So should we go ahead and start a social group for this? Or keep it here with a thread for various sections and/or themes.

I started.... still working on the bishop??

I guess I better get reading! I think a group might be better. I had a time finding this thread again.

We keep catching the PBS plege drive broadcasts of Les Miz in Concert. Reminded me that I've never read the book. So despite a bunch of warnings about how terribly long and rabbit trail filled it is, I downloaded an unabridged version.

Would anyone like to join me in reading and talking about it?

I'm several chapters in (chapters are short in my translation) and am already amused that almost none of the characters from the musical version have shown up yet.

I put up a new thread for discussing book 1 - An Upright Man. Never too late to join in with us reading and discussing the book.

I had put Friday as a goal for reading this section, but wanted to put up a couple discussion questions in case I forget over the weekend. No one is behind.

• 1 year later...

That may be my favorite book ever, I read it in 1992, in the Fahnestock/MacAfee revision of the "classic Wilbour translation".

The first chapter was something like "A just man". I mainly remember that he voluntarily moved from his bishop's mansion into a smaller house when the hospital or orphanage or some such deserving group needed bigger quarters.

The incredible encounter with Jean Valjean, is it also in this book? His conversation with the gendarmes who arrest Valjean is classic, where he insists that the stolen silver was a gift, and presses even more upon him than he took at first. Valjean's view of life is irrevocably changed, as the bishop claims him for good, forever.

There are similarities here with works in zen and yoga. There is a story of a zen master who transforms a thief into a student by the same stratagem of making a theft into a gift. And they say that once a man falls within the benevolent gaze of the guru, he is forever caught like prey in the jaws of a tiger.

The original versions of this book were also beautifully illustrated, and the drawings of Jean Valjean even served as models for the drawings in the classics comic book versions of the 1940's that my father read to us, although of course I did not know that then.

One of the world's shortest telegraphic exchanges according to wikipedia occurred when Hugo, in exile in England, telegraphed his publisher for news of the fate of his new book.

Hugo: ?

Publisher: !

Edited by mathwonk

Here is the link to the social group.

It took me all day to figure out where my copy was. Finally I remembered that my 12 yo had picked it up one day and gotten lost for a half hour, reading it.

After searching all the places I thought it should be, I finally found it on his bookshelf.