Menu

New American Girl historical dolls coming soon!

I'm so happy to see more historical dolls. I've been very disappointed with all the recent retirements. I won't tell you how much I spent buying up Felicity products for my oldest when they announced her retirement last year (although I guess that means their marketing is having the desired effect :glare:).

That's good!

...but I really hope they don't get rid of any historical dolls when they introduce the new ones, like they got rid of Samantha when they introduced Rebecca.

They got rid of Samantha??

So sad :(

I got her as a Christmas present years ago - I used to love playing with my American Girl dolls.

ETA: and they're retiring Felicity too? wow, now I feel old!

They got rid of Samantha??

So sad :(

I got her as a Christmas present years ago - I used to love playing with my American Girl dolls.

ETA: and they're retiring Felicity too? wow, now I feel old!

I know how you feel. I remember when there were only 4 girls :001_smile:

From just the pictures it looks like the clothes will be beautiful!

Recently, they have been retiring and introducing new dolls at the same time. And they've alternated between doing a single doll and a doll with friend. It's time for a single doll to go but I cannot see them ever retiring Addy. My guess is Josephina is on her way out this year.

Recently, they have been retiring and introducing new dolls at the same time. And they've alternated between doing a single doll and a doll with friend. It's time for a single doll to go but I cannot see them ever retiring Addy. My guess is Josephina is on her way out this year.

See, I think they'll retire Addy next and not Josefina. With the introduction of Cecile, they'll have an new African-American doll. Addy was controversial when she came out because many African-Americans were ticked that the only story AG could come up with that featured an African-American was a runaway slave story. Josefina is their only Hispanic doll, so I'd be surprised if they got rid of her.

See, I think they'll retire Addy next and not Josefina. With the introduction of Cecile, they'll have an new African-American doll. Addy was controversial when she came out because many African-Americans were ticked that the only story AG could come up with that featured an African-American was a runaway slave story. Josefina is their only Hispanic doll, so I'd be surprised if they got rid of her.

Nope. Molly. I'd bet on it. She's one of the originals (well, plus Felicity ;) ), and those are the only ones they've been getting rid of. I have also wondered if they're getting rid of the ones with the old style faces (i.e. the upturned nose).

Cecile looks like she is going to be stunning! Not that I care. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by RaeAnne

With the other AA doll out, you might be more right than me. I don't know if they'd have no Hispanic dolls and TWO AA dolls...

I don't think it will be Molly this year because she's got a doll friend and that would break their pattern. Who knows? :001_smile:

We love our Felicity doll but I'm so glad I also got Elizabeth because she is simply a stunning doll.

I've been buying DD whatever retires for Xmas. I broke down and got her Rebecca for her birthday this year and she's gorgeous too.

Kirsten is DD's "cooker doll" but I really blew it when I let her take her braids out. I'll never get her hair to look right again.

I do hope it's a single doll for retirment this year because I was planning on collecting the minature set this year!! Doing that and getting TWO dolls would be ridiculous.

Maybe Kaya?

Sigh...DD really, really wants Kanani, but the photos on the book cover look like they'll be beautiful dolls. Since my DD has Kaya and practically all of her stuff, I wouldn't mind seeing Kaya retire.

I wonder if I should buy my Molly more of the outfits and accessories when I'm at the Atlanta store (next week!)-I think you're right that she's the most likely to retire since she's been around the longest.

I'm getting so nostalgic...

Molly was the first doll I ever got!

I loved reading all those American Girl doll stories. And then I also had those books that described life back in each particular time period (like what life was like in the 1940s). This thread is such a trip down memory lane. :)

Sigh...DD really, really wants Kanani, but the photos on the book cover look like they'll be beautiful dolls. Since my DD has Kaya and practically all of her stuff, I wouldn't mind seeing Kaya retire.

I wonder if I should buy my Molly more of the outfits and accessories when I'm at the Atlanta store (next week!)-I think you're right that she's the most likely to retire since she's been around the longest.

Kanani is my daughter's favorite, but Julie is a very close second! I love all the accessories they have for Kanani, especially the surfboard. :)

I was so sad when they retired Samantha, Felicity, and Kirsten and agree that Molly might be next. I *think* I might have even read that on their website around Christmas but can't find mention of it now.

I don't think they'll retire any of the "ethnic" dolls unless there's a replacement (e.g. Cecile for Addy). Doing so would be too controversial for a big corporation like Mattel.

My bet would be Molly since she's the only one of the original set left.